Chelsea Thread

He has footballing intelligence. Something that for all of their undeniable talent, a lot of younger players seem to lack.

Didn't realise he just got back, he'll be a useful addition to the squad. Too many playmakers though!

Gomito, you cant compare Benitez to Ferguson because the Man utd manager has proved he's not lucky with countless FA Cups, League Cups, League titles.

Benitez has never won the league in England. His CL win was lucky. His FA Cup win could be deemed as lucky as well.

Now he getting found out - he has a hugely talented squad of players but still cant beat QPR and SOuthampton at home or Brentford from England's THIRD DIVISION!!!!

If he was a world class manager, which some of you believe - this wouldnt happen.

PS. Gerd I always enjoy your thoughtful, knowledgable input. Thanks.

PPS. Bobby I heart you x

what about the final in 2007, was that luck as well? FA Cup luck? lol.

Liverpool had best team in 20 years under Benitez, feared around europe, beating world class teams with great attractive football. Some of his signins are the core of today´s LFC, and other were sold for milions.. The club wasn´t in better position since he left and that is a fact! ;)

Liverpool had best team in 20 years under Benitez, feared around europe, beating world class teams with great attractive football. Some of his signins are the core of today´s LFC, and other were sold for milions.. The club wasn´t in better position since he left and that is a fact! ;)

Whoa whoa whoa, holy revisionism Batman!

For about 4 months Liverpool were truly excellent under Benitez. That's it. You had one glorious result against United which basically featured the tactical brilliance of having Torres run past Vidic and fall down, you beat Real Madrid. Mazeltov. Your position in the league that season was vastly inflated due to playing against 10 men on no less than 12 of the 38 matches.

There is a reason no one liked watching Benitez's Liverpool. It was coined sh*t on a stick. It was negative, safety-first and dull as paint drying. It consisted of stifling the opposition, and hoofing it to the quick dude up front. Fortunately, for about 12 months that quick dude was in absolutely world class form. But that was it. There was also no Man City or Tottenham competing for top honors.

In his time there only Chelsea spent more than Liverpool in the league, and yet when he left his team was in 7th place and consisted of a squad all LFC fans seem to think can barely scrape in to the Europa League.

Benitez did well. He got his team organised, and performing where their wages and spending should have had them in the league. Please don't pretend they were Barcelona of the past 3 years. His over-rating amongst LFC faithful is absolutely mind-blowing.

Whoa whoa whoa, holy revisionism Batman!

For about 4 months Liverpool were truly excellent under Benitez. That's it. You had one glorious result against United which basically featured the tactical brilliance of having Torres run past Vidic and fall down, you beat Real Madrid. Mazeltov. Your position in the league that season was vastly inflated due to playing against 10 men on no less than 12 of the 38 matches.

There is a reason no one liked watching Benitez's Liverpool. It was coined sh*t on a stick. It was negative, safety-first and dull as paint drying. It consisted of stifling the opposition, and hoofing it to the quick dude up front. Fortunately, for about 12 months that quick dude was in absolutely world class form. But that was it. There was also no Man City or Tottenham competing for top honors.

In his time there only Chelsea spent more than Liverpool in the league, and yet when he left his team was in 7th place and consisted of a squad all LFC fans seem to think can barely scrape in to the Europa League.

Benitez did well. He got his team organised, and performing where their wages and spending should have had them in the league. Please don't pretend they were Barcelona of the past 3 years. His over-rating amongst LFC faithful is absolutely mind-blowing.

Completely agree.
The fact that benitez had the best Liverpool team in the last 20 years says more about the general decline of Liverpool as a club, than about Benitez team....

Pipa saying you look at everything Liverpool through rose tinted glasses is a very, very big understatement. It has it's charms and you are a super nice guy, but this Liverpool is very far away from the great Liverpool with players like Keagan, Toshack and later on Hansen, Molby, Dalglish, Rush, Barnes and the guy who later on went to play for Newcastle. In recent years Liverpool had 3 outstanding players: Xavi Alonso (your best and most important player), Fernando Torres (but Benitez ruïned him by playing him way too much) and Suarez. The rest of your recent players are midgets compared to the players i mentioned above...

And i'm going on off-topic: loosing to Oldham is not that bad for Liverpool, those things happen in football. Rodger's reactions and his comments about the young players in the media however is a serious mistake...

rafa is very big these days isnt he? When he first joined Liverpool he was such a good looking man.

He put on weight really fast and grew that silly goatee beard. He now looks like a weeble.

weeble.jpg

Had Rafa kept his gob shut you would have won the title in 2008/09 above Man United but because he started being a dick and reeling off his "Facts" it all went tits up after that.

Actually Benni I think he looks more like this now

mr-potato-head.jpg

Also didnt Rafa beat Man Utd both home & away that season??

Yet he STILL managed to mess it all up.

If that was a great Liverpool team then it shows how low Liverpool supporters standards are.

Ten points ahead of United when we went to Japan then threw it away as we went on that run of 14(?) games without conceding a goal.

Anyway, this is off topic, this is a Chelsea thread.

This is really interesting/surprising: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ays-Chelsea-tired--22-players-loan-clubs.html

Speaking of Cheslea's squad being a bit threadbare, did you know they have no less than 22 (!!!) players out on loan at the moment? The second highest prem team have 12.

Initially I figured this was all youth and some are (Courtois, the other Hazard, Chalobah) but a few...De Bruyne, Lukaku, Essien, Kakuta and Ferreira!!! - apparently Chelsea have transers of over £70m out on loan!

Madness.

Last edited:
I told you last time: some of the revenue came from loan ;)

Surely Chelsea are still subsidizing all those wages though? No way could WBA afford Lukaku for example?

So yes, WBA might be sending revenue of £30k a week to Chelsea, but they're still probably paying an additional £50k a week for him!

Courtois, Lukaku and De Bruyne are virtually the same age Beach..you can't say Courtois is youth and both other Belgian players are not...

I'm pretty sure both De Bruyne and Courtois will never play for Chelsea. If you read their interviews it's obvious that they are very reluctant to play for Chelsea. They both want to be regular starters in a big competition.

For what's it worth: everybody in Belgium considers Kevin De Bruyne by far our biggest talent, better than Hazard. You already know what i think about Courtois (imo he is already better than Cech).

Courtois, Lukaku and De Bruyne are virtually the same age Beach..you can't say Courtois is youth and both other Belgian players are not...

I'm pretty sure both De Bruyne and Courtois will never play for Chelsea. If you read their interviews it's obvious that they are very reluctant to play for Chelsea. They both want to be regular starters in a big competition.

For what's it worth: everybody in Belgium considers Kevin De Bruyne by far our biggest talent, better than Hazard. You already know what i think about Courtois (imo he is already better than Cech).

I meant in terms of talent and 'readiness' rather than age. Cech has been great this year so they wouldn't displace him with Courtois. Didn't realise De Bruyne was already 'ready' - fair enough. Makes decisions even weirder.

I personally believe the loan system is fundamentally broken. I think teams should have a maximum number of loans each season (say 10) and it should be restricted to under 21 players.

That would stop big teams buying up all these 'maybe' quality players, and just leaving them to rot outside the first team. And it would dissuade those players from leaving their medium-sized clubs where they're starters.

(It's not just a Chelsea thing of course, I feel the same way about what United have done with players such as Kusczak etc) I feel the worst abuse of the system is what City did last year, when a major rival couldn't field their best striker (Spurs) against them. That's a ridiculous road to go down.

Apparently some Utd fans started a petition to KEEP Rafa at Chelsea, to counter a petition by Chelsea fans demanding he'd be let go. :LMAO:

This season sure is providing lots of entertainment

It appears Hazard won't get a ban longer than the standard 3 games. Thanks to Torres that means he should be available for the City game. A happy day for Unit....I mean Chelsea fans;)

I wonder how long the ban for the ball-adolescent will be...he dserves a longer ban than Hazard. Idon't understand why he wasn't removed from the neutral zone...

I wonder how long the ban for the ball-adolescent will be...he dserves a longer ban than Hazard. Idon't understand why he wasn't removed from the neutral zone...

huh? gerd really? your acting as if the 18 year old kicked hazzard first. Yes he should not have laid on the ball. But again and again he didnt deserve to be kicked at

Anyway, it doesn't matter - the kid wasn't even supposed to be there anyway - he's already too old. He was just filling in cause another ball boy couldn't get to the grounds.

Line drawn underneath it. Moving on...

Cole aside, Chelsea are defensively very, very slow

Lucky today that Ramires didn't get sent off early on. Looked like a two footed lunge.

Back
Top Bottom