slb_campeao.jpg

Re: SL Benfica thread

Some photos from the celebration:

marques2.jpg

marques3.jpg

marques4.jpg

Congratulations to Benfica.

You are a great club with a proud history and magnificent fans ie the tribute to Feher for instance.

Are you happy di Maria is leaving ? I think it is premature for him to leave.

Gaitan should share the responsibilities of playmaking with Pablito next season. He should do well as the club provides South American players with a nice place to acclimatize to European football.

I hope he does very well for you.

Thanks!

Well, none of us is happy that he's leaving, specially when he finally started to show his true potential...but being good as he is, it's impossible for us to keep him. Benfica doesn't want to sale anyone, but he has a 40M € release clause, and there's enough teams willing to pay that amount. Not much we can do.
I might agree with you, on Di Maria's point of view I think it would be better for him to play another season in Lisbon, some more Champions League experience and then 'explode' as one of the best in the world (as I'm sure he'll be). On Benfica's point of view, even though it would be amazing to keep such talent, it would be hard to get more than those 40M €.
I'm quite surprised how argentinian teams let him go to europe so young... I know Rosario Central had financial problems, but still...

We're looking forward for Franco Jara and Gaitan... I think it were those opportunities like Di Maria...we had to sign them before the big sharks got them. We payed a lot for Gaitan, for example...I guess our board are more willing to spend on argentinian market after late sucessful signings there, like Di Maria or Cardozo.
About Gaitan..how do rate him? Is he a Di Maria sub? Quick player on the left? Or does he play a more central role? Aimar is Great but he can no longer play 50 matches/season... I never seen 2 players having such compability between them as Aimar and Saviola.

Thanks for the support;)

I can tell you if he does settle and put's on his form you will enjoy him playing.

Predominantly left footed but he can play all three positions across the midfield left,central and right midfield.

Good dribbler and close control, with sudden changes of pace and tricks.

Good range of pass and when in the box he does like to cut in and shoot and is unafraid to try the unexpected. Might disappoint some team mates that way but as he maures further will become a more complete team player.

Quite slight still but is tough to knock off the ball. Already seen as a future Argentine international for the 'enganche' role alongside a far less conventional enganche in Pastore.

He's played a couple of friendlies and was being touted as a possible for the final 30 but in a struggling Boca team hurt his chances in that regard.

I hope he does really well for Benfica and Benfica do well in the CL .It's been a long time.

You did well to get him. There are many scouts now at all age group games now in Argentina looking for the new 'Messi'.

All the best. ;)

Re: BENFICA thread - PORTUGUESE LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Bem , pareçe que já ninguem posta aqui a algum tempo '_'
Algumas novidades das transferencias: ;)
Some news:

Makukula returns from loan
Portuguese striker unsure of his future
19 July 2010

Miguel Vítor loaned to Leicester City
Paulo Sousa will be his new manager
07 July 2010

Real Madrid confirm Di María transfer
Benfica winger in Spain next season
28 June 2010

Benfica sign Atlético Madrid goalkeeper Roberto
Transfer is worth €8.5m and a 5 year contract for the keeper
25 June 2010

Urreta goes back on loan
Deportivo de la Coruña will be his challenge
23 June 2010

Yebda awaits Benfica call
Algeria International concentrated on World Cup
02 June 2010

Di María transfer denied by vice-president
Domingo Soares ends transfer speculation of Di María to Real Madrid
25 May 2010

Franco Jara awaits Benfica move
Argentine striker closer to dream than ever
21 May 2010

Fábio Faria under orders
Defender already training with squad
18 May 2010

Tuesday, 27 July 2010 08:58
Benfica reject Chelsea bid for David Luiz - report
Defender delighted with Brazil chance
Benfica have reportedly rejected a €32m bid from Chelsea for David Luiz, as the defender was handed his first international call-up by new Brazil coach Mano Menenzes.

Menezes named a 24-man squad for his first match in charge of the South American champions against USA next month, and there were several call-ups for Brazil’s next generation. Along with the likes of Rafael (Manchester United) and Santos duo Neymar and Ganso, Benfica’s David Luiz was also included in the group.

“I am very happy and excited with this call,” he told the club’s official website. “It was a goal and a dream in my life. I’ll make the most of this opportunity.”

It appears increasingly likely that Luiz will still be a Benfica player when he makes his international bow, with Benfica apparently determined to retain his services for the new campaign in the face of interest from English clubs Manchester City and Chelsea.

According to Record, the Eagles have rejected an offer in the region of €32m from Chelsea for the 23-year-old. Previously, Man City had made an approach worth €35m, with a €3m annual salary for Luiz, but were also turned down by Benfica, who refuse to negotiate below their reported €40m valuation.

Meanwhile, Ramires, who was also called into the latest Brazil squad, is expected back in Lisbon today after enjoying some time off following the World Cup. Unlike Luiz, the midfielder is still expected to leave the Estadio da Luz in the near future, with Chelsea remaining his most likely destination.

Hola amigo! Nice to see you in Benfica Thread.

Jara is doing great, I must say is a very positive surprise. When Di María left Gaitan was, in paper, his substitute. Now it seems Jara has taken his place in the eleven. We play in a 4-4-2 but with Jara the system is more a 4-3-3 because he plays a bit upfront near Saviola and Cardozo. I believe he will start the Supercup game against FC Porto. Some time ago you said he is like Kun Agüero and he really seems him in certain way.

I'm expecting a bit more from Nico Gaitan to be honest. Maybe when he needs more minutes to adapt.

Things are ok at Benfica. The team plays like they did last year. I'm a bit concerned about Roberto but no worries at all coz our defense is solid. Unfortunately Ramires has gone. Now he have to find a replacement for him.

Thanks for the information TSO. :)

He certainly will work hard in nothing else and if he could improve his accuracy on goal you have a special player .

Worrying news is losing Ramires. I think this could be a special year for Benfica , one when they return to the top table where they belong but there are worrying rumours here that Chelsea are not just chasing David Luiz but also Coentrao who was the standout leftback at the World Cup in my opinion.

I hope they stay as I have a feeling Benfica can go far this year in the CL.

If we had hold on to the entire team, we could maybe do something special in the Champions League this year. At least I hope no one else leaves, or it will get a little depressing... :(

looks like david luiz will go to chelsea...things aren't looking very good for us right now...

I'm guessing that's not the start you lot were hoping for...

In May, after the title winning, I was pretty confident about next season despite knowing Di María was in route to Madrid. After Ramires' exit the euphoria transformed into depression. Why? Because as newspapers said, the Eagle lost his wings and didn’t find decent replacement.

Benfica have lost 3 games in a row – Tottenham (friendly), FC Porto (Supercup) and Académica (league) – a totally rarity in Jesus era. I must say I don’t believe in Jesus anymore. He insists in a millionaire crappy keeper (Roberto) and in a poor LW who only knows how to eat hot chicks (César Peixoto).

Until the deadline of the market I’m hoping we can get a good replacement for Di María and Ramires, specially this one, Ramires was THE box-to-box, it will be hard to find a new 'quenian'.

A mix of feelings on this 25th January

Happy Birthday King! 69 years of pure magic moments.
eusebio.jpg

Miklos Feher died 7 years ago. Never forget you Miki!
Miklos+FEHER.JPG

Any insight on Luiz's transfer saga?

Eusébio da Silva Ferreira happy birthday (was yesterday) :WORSHIP:

And about David Luiz i dont think he will go for Chelsea in this transfer window ;)

I think is an almost done deal. 25M€ + Matic (never heard about him to be honest).

Benfica has played last night against Rio Ave and David Luiz was given the chance to score a goal in a penalty kick which he eventual missed. This is a clear signal things are really close to an end.

It seems to me a good deal for everybody. Benfica gets the money, Chelsea sign a fantastic CB and Milan takes a pretty decent player. However I think you could get someone even better. Vertonghen maybe? (you already signed an Ajax player recently)

I think is an almost done deal. 25M€ + Matic (never heard about him to be honest).

Benfica has played last night against Rio Ave and David Luiz was given the chance to score a goal in a penalty kick which he eventual missed. This is a clear signal things are really close to an end.
Yeah I think I agree with that view. In the beginning the fact that he started a cup game looked like hardballing from your side but that penalty was probably his chance to say goodbye to your fans.
Besides you know he's destined to be a Chelsea player after missing such a pen :D

Afaik Benfica informed the CMVA of our offer today so the deal is likely to go through.
Matic is a young Serb midfielder currently on loan to our dutch feeder club Vitesse. He's huge for a midfielder (1.94) and technically great although a bit slow on the ball and with decision making.

Last edited:

There are rumors saying that when David Luiz arrives at Chelsea, Alex will go to Milan.
It seems to me a good deal for everybody. Benfica gets the money, Chelsea sign a fantastic CB and Milan takes a pretty decent player. However I think you could get someone even better. Vertonghen maybe? (you already signed an Ajax player recently)
I've never heard of this but it would make sense. Alex is too good to be sitting on the bench and Ancelotti's links with Milan may send him over to you if he's guaranteed to be a starter.

i often hear from my father who is old enough to watch Eusebio that he was better then Pele..

happy birthday to him and Feher

edit: talking about Matic, he is Serbia U21 player, a CM with good skill and pace.. he is loaned now from Chelsea and he came to Chelsea from FC Kosice - Slovakia club.. he was among best players here and with young age.. he could be good for Benfica i think..

Last edited:

Thanks for the comments about Matic mates. It's good to have some feedback about a totally unknown player for me.

More news on David Luiz saga: As Kostaz said CMVM was given information about the deal involving Benfica and Chelsea. Here is the inform: http://web3.cmvm.pt/sdi2004/emitentes/docs/FR31582.pdf

However, it's been said in the media (Record newspaper) that Manchester City is at the background waiting what is going on.

Honestly I think David is moving to London. The Man City talk is just rubbish (or not! you know City, spending money around).

However, it's been said in the media (Record newspaper) that Manchester City is at the background waiting what is going on.

Honestly I think David is moving to London. The Man City talk is just rubbish (or not! you know City, spending money around).
I've been following the Portuguese press for only a few days but I can already tell Record are not to be trusted. Two days ago they claimed the deal was done, yesterday they said negotiations were aborted and now ManCity is involved.Even having witnessed the Robinho fiasco I don't believe they are ready to pay for every player we want.

Back
Top Bottom