World Cup 2010 - England Thread

Rooney really is interpretating that character of his for the Nike commercial.

The lack of creativity in your team is astonishing. Gerrard and Lampard seem to be somewhere else and Capello seems to be trying to make a Pirlo out of Barry. Defence whise you were ok, but in transitions you failed badly.
On the other side i really enjoyed the ALregian game. Such a flow and organization that i couldn't believe they were the Algeria that everyone thought was going to get beaten badly. IMO they were superb.

Algeria play maybe best football ever in their history,Rooney and Heskey were too tired,seems like they were busy in bed last night :) We are close to say goodbye to the 3 big England,Germany and France after the 2nd matches..What a tournament without football

What did Rooney said to the camera at the end of the game? :CONFUSE:

Poor performance really. England didn't really look like scoring.

I think the problem is too many spuds on 1 national side :P . Anyhow, I still think Slovenia will lose their energy giving England a few goals. Capello should try something crazy like put 3 at the back. Nothing is guarantee though

I don't really agree with supporters booing the team but did Rooney really need to do that? Having traveled all the way to SA, they obviously want to see good performances but they haven't got one yet.

The mentality needs to change, all the players are scared of making a mistake, plus collectively their not good enough.

Also what has SWP done to be consistently picked ahead of Joe Cole?

Okay, you all know that the coin has two sides.

The visible side - England played horribly, the teamwork was as if John Terry has slept with all his teammates' wives and everybody hates each other. :RANT: No motivation whatsoever, they really expected the Arabs to beat themselves. Moreover they look tired, especially Rooney who couldn't make a decent sprint. So they ended up contained by Algeria, a team which goalkeeper M'Bolhi plays in a club which has 17 straight defeats against their biggest rivals in the Bulgarian league. :FAIL:
Terrible Barry, terrible and out of shape Rooney, terrible, out of shape and in need of a pacemaker Heskey (he was a tough lad ten years ago, not now); Johnson and Wright-Philips are really not worth mentioning.

But now for the other side of the coin.
You're free to call me ludacris, but I believe the English have a strong chance of reaching the semi-finals (if not taking a game to penalties, haha). The simplified explanation is that this is not the English side we're used to watching in recent years.
1) Not a trace of that enthusiastic and not very clever running forward with the ball which was very common to the England team in the past. They take no risks and chances at all now.
2) Yes, they're poor up front, but they defend flawlessly. Well, yeah, against the U.S. and Algeria but still - only one clear chance for the opposition in two games (the shot by Altidore) is not typical for the English, or at least not in the last decade.
3) This can all be explained by the coach. A typical follower of Italian phylosophy and also one of the best implementers of it, Capello gave England a typically Italian start with two draws and trying to make the English play like Italy - defensively, taking no risks and waiting for the right moment. And they have the talent to use the right moments - Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick and even Defoe and Crouch could decide a game with a single move. So I would not count England out of the favourites. I believe they'll take their last game against Slovenia and in the knock-out stage the tournament begins from scratch.
Plus, look at the reigning world champions' games in 2006 - an identical 1:1 draw with the U.S. in the group stage, then a 1:0 over minnows Australia with a hilarious penalty in stoppage time. I don't think anyone after that game considered the Italians as favourites. Yet they won the title.

So the English are still in this...
... I hope : P

Last edited:
I don't really agree with supporters booing the team but did Rooney really need to do that? Having traveled all the way to SA, they obviously want to see good performances but they haven't got one yet.

why not? if you spend £1000 seeing your favourite team, the least they can do is put on a show and try?

what did england show? fuck all. they deserved to be booed. no heart, no desire, no flair, nothing. emptiness.

They have precious little in common nowadays with the working man in the street.

It's was in a moment of anger and self frustration but still.....most of the team esp.Terry are chavs so to be expected.

Algeria are far more technically adept which goes to show the root cause of the problem is yet to be addressed.

Remember this is the spiritual home of Zidane and new French star Sofiane Feghouli.

Capello is well worth his six million pounds a year. No flexibility. As the real legend Brian Clough said 'the FA means something in your language, something different in mine'.

As far as I am concerned shove that in your pipe and smoke it Colin Murray, Adrian Durham ,Peter Scudamore and their ilk. :P

The mentality needs to change, all the players are scared of making a mistake, plus collectively their not good enough.

Also what has SWP done to be consistently picked ahead of Joe Cole?
no the question is what has SWP done to be picked ahead of walcott

England team has too much EGO in them .. Stevie G and F.Lampard is the problem for England .. They seem like don't want to play with each other and more than that ..they're too selfish ... no player run for space ... they just keep going up front and let Barry carry the ball ... this is happen when player play for themself not for the team ...

SWP is programmed to keep his head down and run as fast as he can with the ball to the end of the pitch ..

why not? if you spend £1000 seeing your favourite team, the least they can do is put on a show and try?

what did england show? fuck all. they deserved to be booed. no heart, no desire, no flair, nothing. emptiness.

That was what I was trying to say. Supporters spending their hard earned money and not seeing good performances, hence they're entitled to let their voices heard.

I don't know why Joe Cole wasn't brought on he attacks the opposition defence and creates openings. Capello seemed very depressed, poor guy's celebrating his 64th birthday. England just seem to lack any form of team ethic and cohesiveness also Heskey doesn't need to help out the defence I can't understand how is selected above Darren Bent.

no the question is what has SWP done to be picked ahead of walcott

Walcott would not have made the difference tonight, pace isn't everything.

Joe Cole is the only midfielder with good technique, he is the only one capable of probing the defence. On the international stage, Gerrard and Lampard are one dimensional players, of course the system doesn't help.

Algeria played well, they were comfortable on the ball and easily contained everything that England threw at them.

Well when you ignore the talents of a Hoddle and Le Tissier this shows the focus is on all the wrong attributes of a footballer.

Pace and power alone will not win you tournaments.

Didn't Wenger say Walcott is a better player than Messi. :P :LOL:

As for Rooney....I have never seen him play a worse 90 minutes of football. What he said at the end was inexcusable, I would normally defend him to the end but he was a crock of **** and he knows it, at the very least show some respect to those who have spent thousands to go and watch some passion and got none. You deserved to be booed so suck it up and start playing like you can.

As for Rooney....I have never seen him play a worse 90 minutes of football. What he said at the end was inexcusable, I would normally defend him to the end but he was a crock of **** and he knows it, at the very least show some respect to those who have spent thousands to go and watch some passion and got none. You deserved to be booed so suck it up and start playing like you can.

Look most footballers could not give two hoots about the fans. Their next sponsorship, contract negotiation or endorsements are more important.

I've seen the England rugby team booed in the Antipodes after getting thumped but none of the players complained they all said we deserve it.

sunheadline.jpg

:BYE:

:APPLAUD:

all i'm saying is people criticised beckenbauer for his statement against england, after tonights game, i don't think anyone will disagree, i would'nt be amazed if england didn't make past group stages, slovenia are the only team in the group to have won a game and if england draw against usa and algeria, i wouldn't get my hopes up as a fan.

Walcott would not have made the difference tonight, pace isn't everything.

Joe Cole is the only midfielder with good technique, he is the only one capable of probing the defence. On the international stage, Gerrard and Lampard are one dimensional players, of course the system doesn't help.

Algeria played well, they were comfortable on the ball and easily contained everything that England threw at them.

Sorry but England threw fuck all tonight. they played shit and showed no desire to win the game

Back
Top Bottom