World Cup 2010 - England Thread

I'd have picked Adam Johnson, Rodwell, Wilshere and McEachran as players who can actually use the ball. ;)

Capello will be found out. That I am sure. Aside from Rooney there is very little technical ability.

I'd have picked Adam Johnson, Rodwell, Wilshere and McEachran as players who can actually use the ball. ;)

Capello will be found out. That I am sure. Aside from Rooney there is very little technical ability.
Capello knows what he's doing. Unlike Maradona...

Seriously?

You'd have taken Jack Wilshire, a lad who has played less than 20 games at the top level, Josh McEachran a 17 year old who has never played at the top level and Jack Rodwell who has looked good in about 5 of his first team appearances?

Ridiculous.

Capello knows what he's doing. Unlike Maradona...

I think you'll find it's Bilardo , Mancuso and Enrique who are doing the coaching.

And the tools in their box are sharper and more skilled. At least those four players have real ability and potential for the future.

Japan and Mexico controlled the posession better and passed better and against teams with real cut and thrust upfront and more solid defences Capello or no Capello I am pretty certain the team will be found out.

It's a pretty good team IMO. He's picked players not based on their current form but on a system that has worked quite well during the qualification stages. Why change that? He'd be a fool to pick new players who have never played with each others so close to the WC.

I agree that those 4 are great players for the future, but I'd see them being used/chosen after the WC for the qualification to EURO 2012. To choose them for the WC when they haven't even played with the chosen 23 over the qualification rounds is way too dangerous

I think you'll find it's Bilardo , Mancuso and Enrique who are doing the coaching.

And the tools in their box are sharper and more skilled. At least those four players have real ability and potential for the future.

Japan and Mexico controlled the posession better and passed better and against teams with real cut and thrust upfront and more solid defences Capello or no Capello I am pretty certain the team will be found out.

I bet you watch pre-season friendlies and make snap judgements about players don't you? You're looking too closely at the friendlies against Mexico and Japan which were more about fitness and team camaraderie than anything else.

That's not the point. Maradona and co. didn't have a clue until the last qualifier and it's doubtful whether this system they've settled on will even be effective whereas Capello's sorted out his tactical plans a long time back, which will surely have an effect on the sides during the WC.

Good national teams are not all about technical ability. Look at Argentina in 2006 or in 2007 when they were spanked 3-0 by Dunga's Brazil machine.

And it would be crazy to choose any of those youngsters and thrust them into the big time. Almost something like Maradona would do.

I bet you watch pre-season friendlies and make snap judgements about players don't you? You're looking too closely at the friendlies against Mexico and Japan which were more about fitness and team camaraderie than anything else.

I think he has a point though, theirs no such thing as "ow its a friendly", We got outplayed by Mexico and Japan led the game for over an hour. The performance levels have to improve tenfold.

I still find the 2 CM's the issue, We don't have the players to play a passing game so I think we should go with a box to box and a destroyer similar to how Inter set-up in the Champions League.

Glen Johnson also isn't good enough defensively, will be given the run around against top quality wingers.

------------Hart--------------
-Johnson-Ferdinand-Terry-Cole-
---(if fit)Barry-????--------
-Lennon-----Lampard---Gerrard-
------------Rooney-----------

Not happy with Capello's choices and I'm his biggest fan around it seems.

Of course I still respect him massively but I would've done things different.

I would've included Adam Johnson instead of SWP. Walcott missing out is okay. But AJ would've offered something different, something few English players do which that great dribbling and technique and youth and hunger, not to mention he's your ONLY left-footed winger.

Would've had Dawson instead of Upson and Bent rather than Heskey as well and even Parker will be disappointed to miss out but I can't think of who could've been sacrificed for him, so that one I'm okay with.

And who is #1 GK exactly? Still not determined? All 3 seem like good but not great choices. Hard to pick. David James probably for his experience would still be my #1 pick but it's a tough one...

Well I think the goalkeeper should be Hart, but he's not played enough international games, so I imagine it will be Green (since he's started more and more games under Cappello - in fact the only gaps where when he was sent off - showing his liability - in the Ukraine and for friendlies).

I agree about Wright-Phillips too, he has been of no attacking threat whatsoever for most of Man City's games this season, if you look at him play it's like he doesnt know how to beat a defender, he just knocks it in front of him and tries to run around them. Adam Johnson is much better. I wonder if Johnson's dad had written a letter to the FA/Cappello and tarted himself on TV for the last 6 months would he have got the place instead of Wright-Phillips.

Last edited:
If you watched that Copa final when a side commits 80 fouls ie cynical trips. shirt pulls and obstructions to stop your rhythm and the referee does nothing to stop it , most sides would find it hard toplay against.

The perpetrators of course were Dunga's Brazil. I am sure they'll be up to it this time around as well. Perhaps the officials at this WC will be more up to speed on it.

As for tactics they've worked pretty well for the last three games and the midfield diamond adopted as a plan B looks very promising.

The problem in this country is that youngsters are not given the chances.

In South America if you have ability you get your chance to shine. And physical size is not a handicap.

Players like Ashley Young for instance was rejected from our academy on the basis of size twice. The footballing ability was regarded as secondary.

As for Rodwell one of the best things about him is his two footedness and ability to direct the play on either flank.

I was only ebing half serious about them being picked but Adam Johnson not going is a negative move.

I watched him when he was on loan at our club and the ability was plain to see.

A very odd omission and Dawson who can pass from the back over Upson.

Adam Johnson and Dawson over SWP and Upson should have been no brainers especially considering the Johnson was playing more often than SWP late on in the season.

I dunno about Dawson, he seems very dopey to me, there is always one major mistake in him in each game I've seen him play... For instance look at any game when Spurs play Man Utd and you'll see him making at least one catastrophic error.

Johnson should be going ahead of SWP, in fact SWP's dad would be a better pick than SWP. I dont see where the goals will come from for England should Rooney be either marked out of a game or injured / underperforming. To my mind Crouch and Defoé are decent but not world class players and so the reliance on an out of form Gerrard and a shakey Lampard will be big. Set pieces (not penalties though) could be a source of goals with hurly-burly center backs like Terry and King but again this relies on the opposition being weak in the air and lacking the discipline (and giving free kicks away).

Yeah, Johnson should've definitely gone ahead of SWP.

Why is Lampard shakey? I think England can get a goal or two from different positions and players, yeah whether it's a corner and CB's like King and Terry head it home or whether it's Milner or Barry having a shot, or Lampard, Gerrard getting forward or own goals. :P They all count.

Capello's gone for the safe option of experience. Hence, it's our oldest squad ever for WC finals.

AJ hansnt gone because hes not ready for international football! Hes took a big step up as it is in the last 6 months and although alot of his performances have been outstanding he has flattered to decieve in any of our bigger games! Plus the quote from him saying how he strugled to breath on his debut means this tournement has come to soon....

yep dawson is in, never play on this level before ,but he said he`ll just act like a everyday Spur training. lol luv it ! I guess experience is out and back to form then.

Dawson won't come straight into the first XI, otherwise he would have been included in the squad in the first place.

King will probably take his place. I think we should have included Campbell in retrospect.

Nah Dawson over Campbell any day despite the Int'l experience factor but yeah I don't think he'll walk in 1st team though he won't be far from it now especially with King always being semi-injured himself lool or carrying some kinda knock.

King and Terry to start at center probably which means your CB's aren't exactly the fastest around.

I didn't mean instead of Dawson. Maybe Upson or Carragher. He, at least, has invaluable experience at these big tournaments.

King isn't slow but he isn't as fast as he used to be, his positioning play is excellent though so it shouldn't be that big of a deal facing a quick striker.

If the opposition have two quick forwards then there may be an issue.

Nah Dawson over Campbell any day despite the Int'l experience factor but yeah I don't think he'll walk in 1st team though he won't be far from it now especially with King always being semi-injured himself lool or carrying some kinda knock.

King and Terry to start at center probably which means your CB's aren't exactly the fastest around.
which is good for the US cause if there is one thing we have, it is speed

Hahaha PLF - I know you like Bent.

Remember our massive Walcott/Bent debate at this same time 4 years ago?! :LOL:

I imagine it will be Green (since he's started more and more games under Cappello - in fact the only gaps where when he was sent off - showing his liability - in the Ukraine and for friendlies).

Liability?!

Eh?

You mean when Green HAD to commit himself after that fucknut Rio made another mistake by letting the ball run behind him and the attacker through on goal?!

I like the squad and do not have too much arguments with it.
My only concern is Gareth Barry's fitness, which is why I would have looked at a way of getting Parker into the squad.

It's of monumental importance that you have a midfield destroyer in your team in games against the likes of Brazil, Argentina and Spain, who will like to keep the ball.

If you look back at Man Utd's CL final against Barcelona - Michael Carrick, for all his ball playing ability, got humiliated that night by the Barcelona midfield.
The one type of player they needed that night, more than most, was Hargreaves.
Arsenal this season against Barcelona again - how they'd wish to have had Flamini back in that midfield.

England have 3 serious contenders in that role; Barry, Parker and Cattermole - that's about it.
Hargreaves would have been my absolute first choice, but sadly it was just a step too far.

In the group stages, we will probably be ok with out midfield choices, but later on, if we face any ball playing teams, we'll need Barry at top form and fitness.

I never worry about our performances in friendlies as we tend to raise our game for proper matches.
I mean compare the last 2 games to the qualifiers - no comparison.

I like Johnson and sad he isn't going, as he is the type to have no respect for any defender. He's as likely to run and try to take on Evra and make him look foolish, as he is against Tony Hibbert.
I think this may have just come a little too early for him.

In the defence, Upson was never a doubt, despite a poor season for West Ham.
Capello likes Upson, trusts him and also likes the fact he is a left footed centre back.
One very crucial point that has been overlooked in the picking of Upson, is that he is the one player that has played alongside both Terry AND Ferdinand consistently, so will already have an understanding of the partner.

I think King is absolutely brilliant, but my only concern is that although he reads the game so well, it takes him a while to turn and hit full stride, which playing alongside Terry, against players at this level, we may get punished at times.

I personally rate Wright-Phillips.
Regardless of his form for Man City, he produces the goods more than most of the time for England - always looking a threat and chips in at times with a goal.

My line-up for the first match, with the news that Barry isn't fit, would be thus:

-----------------Green

-Johnson--- Terry----- King -------Cole

-SWP----- Lampard---- Gerrard ----Lennon

------------Cole
-------------------Rooney

When Barry returns:

SWP/Cole----Lampard---- Barry ----Lennon

------------Gerrard
---------------------Rooney

Good points about Upson Steve. I had overlooked them.

And yah I remember our discussion and obviously still see Darren Bent as a quality capable forward and one of the best England has to offer anyway. :)

p.s. Casillas says in his mind, he has little doubt, Rob Green will start between the posts. I tend to agree though I think James could be it too. I would be surprised if Joe Hart started. What do you guys all anticipate happening come Saturday?

Capello is waiting until the day to announce his keeper I think.

It will be between Green and James, as Hart is too young.
Green has been his preferred choice in qualifying.

I think the general consensus is that it will be Green.

Back
Top Bottom