World Cup 2010 - England Thread

Mexico look quite good, although USA topped them in the qualifiers I believe.

English commentators are hilarious though, Franco knocks it in, and it was like shock horror, "He's given it?" WTF? Why wouldn't he you numbnut.................LOL. They do crack me up.

FD

Mexico look quite good, although USA topped them in the qualifiers I believe.

English commentators are hilarious though, Franco knocks it in, and it was like shock horror, "He's given it?" WTF? Why wouldn't he you numbnut.................LOL. They do crack me up.

FD

of course we did, we own them. They have been traveling half way across the world the last two weeks and now go to South Africa, there going to be way too used up and are going to suck in world cup :)

LOL like you owned them in the 09 Gold Cup final.

we were too busy sending our best players to play in the gold cup final there buddy(a tournament we qualified for by our A team beating mexicos A team in the 2007 gold cup final), one we almost won... we had our c team playing mexico that day...

Last edited:
Mexico were passing it about with way to much ease, their not Barcelona! Seriously if we can let Mexico have that much of the ball then the likes of Spain and Brazil are going to make mince meat out of us.

Mexico is better than what most people think. I've said that before and stand by it. Same goes for US actually. But of course so intense and childish is the rivalry between these 2 nations that neither can admit the other also has a quality side and will just bash each other.

For me, they're both good sides and so is England under Capello.

I think Mexico are a very good side, but a poor goalkeeper and the lack of a focus striker (like Luis Hernandez years ago) are problems. If Mexico had someone like Milito, Aguero they would have been 3-2 up at half time.

From the English point of view it was a good result but a slightly underwhelming performance. There are worries about say the fitness of Rooney and also the lack of depth in midfield. Carrick looked pretty sub-par and Huddelstone looked slow, lethargic and not generally anywhere near World Cup standard.

Didn't have much to do tbh.

Only Gerrard and probably Rio were any good.

Not sure why Rooney played the full match on that shitty pitch but luckily he didn't get a knock or anything.

Once again outplayed by a possession side and another unconvincing win. This side will be torn a new arsehole if it faces a big side.

The only reason I have any faith in this side is because of the genius of Capello.

Mexico were passing it about with way to much ease, their not Barcelona! Seriously if we can let Mexico have that much of the ball then the likes of Spain and Brazil are going to make mince meat out of us.

It was pretty clear that the England players were very worried about the pitch and so didn't really move out of first gear.

Did anyone really expect anything else?

That's bollocks UJ, they simply got outplayed by a good passing side and it's a massive worry that we still cannot take control of a midfield.

We're simply gonna get ripped apart by decent possession football, we're not technically good enough in midfield even with Lampard thrown in.

That's bollocks UJ, they simply got outplayed by a good passing side and it's a massive worry that we still cannot take control of a midfield.

We're simply gonna get ripped apart by decent possession football, we're not technically good enough in midfield even with Lampard thrown in.

How is it bollocks? Everyone has said the pitch is awful, Ferdinand blamed the pitch for injuring his ankle recently and several other players have said they're worried they'll get injured. It's a few weeks to the World Cup, of course they're gonna be scared of injuries, and when playing on a surface that cuts up with the slightest knock it makes it a lot worse.

I'm not being funny, but i'd be happy to see England get "outplayed" but win 3-1 in every match next month.

Seems like the dudes that built wembley also built Alvalade XI, the stadium of Sporting CP. They also have lots of problems with their pitch.

Nice to see Capello has drafted in our number 10.

Own Goal did fantastic for United last season, and he's continuing his form for the national team.

Bit bloody worrying how awful we are though isn't it?

The Wembley pitch is just really awful, it's been relaid 10 times in three years because it's that bad.

Haha, when the Giants went overseas to play a game there, people from N.Y. were like wtf kind of field is this ??? :JAY:

It was raining too, so it made it even worse.:))

Rumoured 23-man England squad for the World Cup

Green, James, Hart

Johnson, Carragher, Terry, King, Upson, Ferdinand, Cole A, Baines

Walcott, Lennon, Cole, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick, Milner

Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Heskey.

The Wembley pitch is just really awful, it's been relaid 10 times in three years because it's that bad.
The new Wembley is a load of crap. I hate the picth, I hate that stupid arch, I hate how the corporate area is right in front of the cameras so the stadium always looks empty...

I wish they'd kept the old one.

Rumoured 23-man England squad for the World Cup

Green, James, Hart

Johnson, Carragher, Terry, King, Upson, Ferdinand, Cole A, Baines

Walcott, Lennon, Cole, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick, Milner

Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Heskey.

Looks like Walcott, Huddlestone, Parker , Dawson, Adam Johnson , Baines are to be omitted.

I don't believe out of all the English players in the game Heskey is still a top choice, if we are going to play him as a holding the ball up midfielder drop one of them and have another out and out scorer...

I honestly believe we'll be lucky to reach the quarters...

England's 23-man squad for the World Cup finals:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham).

Defenders: Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City).

Forwards: Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8713742.stm

some strange choices there

Serious question, what position does Walcott play? He isn't a winger, he isn't a striker, what is he? No good having all that pace if you can't use it to your advantage.

Would have loved to see The Hudd go the World Cup but given that Carrick is there I can understand not taking him, although from the outside looking in, The Hudd had a much better season than Carrick.

Happy to see King in the squad but it kinda sucks because Dawson has been excellent all season and played more games.

Not surprised about Bent, he can't play in a team that passes the ball, or in England's case, attempts to pass the ball.

Adam Johnson > SWP

I look forward to the day that a manger will mix it up and pick players that are hungry per se. For the last few years everyone and their mother could name England's starting 11, this year is no different. If the current lot are so good why do they fail every time.?

Capello did said he'll pick players on form and fitness. The omissions of Dawson, Johnson (being the only left footed winger), Parker and Bent proved otherwise. Still Capello probably knows the system he'll be using anyway.

Back
Top Bottom