WC06 Qualifiers' and Internationals' Thread (June 5th Results)

I've said it for 3 years now - IMO, Makaay is among the 3 best pure finishers in the game. His one-touch finishing is deadly and accurate beyond comprehension. With RVN's ability to hold up the ball and the wingers the Dutch have, he would be lethal playing behind the front striker.

You would think that they could find a way to play RVN up top, with Makaay around the box, where both could be used in their most dangerous positions. . . maybe play a 4-4-1-1 with Robben and VDV as wingers getting forward up the pitch??

I feel like Makaay got shortchanged by Advocaat in the Euro's as well.

Anyway, can one of the Dutch fans on here provide me with the starting formation for their most recent games, please? thanks.

Van der Sar
Kromkamp Boulharouz Opdam Van Bronckhorst
Landzaat Maduro VDV
Kuijt Van Nistelrooy Robben

- Formation vs the Czech republic.

Cocu usually plays in midfield though, he was suspended for this game.

So far in the European Zone:
Qualified automatically:
# Germany (hosts)
# Croatia
# England
# France
# Holland
# Italy
# Poland
# Portugal
# Serbia and Montenegro
# Sweden
# Ukraine

Play-offs:
# Czech Republic
# Norway
# Slovakia
# Spain
# Switzerland
# Turkey

Surprised to see that Spain and the Czech Republic dind't manage automatic qualification. Greece is out :o. Glad to see Sweden made it, and France too.

Czech Republic, Spain, Turkey will play against one of these:
Norway
Switzerland
Slovakia.
The play-off draw will be in 2 days. and the two legged ties will be played on 12 and 16 November.

Can't wait to see who is gonna be the last to take the spot to the WC. Just one more month.

Other playoffs -

URUGUAY v AUSTRALIA

BAHRAIN v TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

Trinidad beat Mexico at home when Stern John fired home two second half goals to get the upset and grab the last spot from CONCACAF.

Aussies and Uruguay played the exact same eliminator for the last WC and lost their 1-0 advantage from their home win when Uruguay hammered them 3-0 in the second leg.

They have changed the rule for the next world cup, Austrailia will take part with the asian teams in the qualifying phase.

inter_211 said:
They have changed the rule for the next world cup, Austrailia will take part with the asian teams in the qualifying phase.
I'd prefer Australia play their classification matches with the winner between Bahréin and Trinidad y Tobago.

Anyone else surprised that the strong African nations like Nigeria, Cameroon and South Africa haven't made it? :shock:

It is good though to see new teams go into the World Cup, although personally I feel they are somewhat weaker than the teams that we expected to be there.

Although, no doubts that they deserve to be there and should be congratulated.

FD

Well that's one way to put it, but if they are there it means they were stronger than "the stronger teams" :) At least during the last 2 years.
Personally I don't miss any team. All I expected/wanted there are qualified.

Back
Top Bottom