Thoughts about the Super League

Now I know why Konami are so silent about Pes2022.

Never mind, you can find me next year with the new game Cock Magic. The game have only one developer named Randy Marsh... :BYE:

You don't see this in leagues without relegation like the NBA.
Well, in the NBA teams lose matches on purpose (tanking) so they could have the best pick at the following draft, because they know that they wouldn't be relegated even if they lost all of their matches... It's not that healthy either.

Half-expecting the owners of the clubs to explore the creation of new companies for the Master League, transferring the assets (players, namely) over to them, and continuing to operate the clubs in the Premier League, Serie A, LaLiga etc as well.

Example: Manchester City of Manchester continue in the Premier League, while all the players and staff are TUPE'd from Manchester City Football Club Ltd to the newly-founded The Manchester City Football Club Ltd to play for the Citizens in the Super League in Dubai/Beijing/New York. The Premier League Man City become the feeder team for the Citizens, and we all die inside a little more.

This is inspired by the death and re-establishment of Rangers.

Half-expecting the owners of the clubs to explore the creation of new companies for the Master League, transferring the assets (players, namely) over to them, and continuing to operate the clubs in the Premier League, Serie A, LaLiga etc as well.

Example: Manchester City of Manchester continue in the Premier League, while all the players and staff are TUPE'd from Manchester City Football Club Ltd to the newly-founded The Manchester City Football Club Ltd to play for the Citizens in the Super League in Dubai/Beijing/New York. The Premier League Man City become the feeder team for the Citizens, and we all die inside a little more.

This is inspired by the death and re-establishment of Rangers.
LOL you play too much PES

This was Winning Eleven 4´s Master League:
maxresdefault.jpg

I hope every one of the clubs participating in this crash and burn.
Tottenham absolute shit club is overnight elite, Arsenal has been shit since 2010, Milan and Inter are dog shit last 10 years, lets not forget Man United that sucks donkey balls since SAF retired, and last but not least Man City that cant buy succes even with all the money they spend all these years.
We all seen how tottenham elite got arse kicked by Dinamo Zagreb which operates solely trough its football academy and has budget 200 times smaller than this elite clubs.
Cheers to Bayern, Porto and others who refuse to be part of this bullshit

I hope every one of the clubs participating in this crash and burn.
Tottenham absolute shit club is overnight elite, Arsenal has been shit since 2010, Milan and Inter are dog shit last 10 years, lets not forget Man United that sucks donkey balls since SAF retired, and last but not least Man City that cant buy succes even with all the money they spend all these years.
We all seen how tottenham elite got arse kicked by Dinamo Zagreb which operates solely trough its football academy and has budget 200 times smaller than this elite clubs.
Cheers to Bayern, Porto and others who refuse to be part of this bullshit

(hehe nice I'm the 69th post)

I agree. And Bayern has always been a club I respected and now that respect increased, I just hope they don't change their mind (it's quite unlikely after wat Rummenigge said but oh well).
Bayern has the trophies, the history, and the decency. Let's all remember the time they saved Dortmund from bankruptcy.
Bayern is not only a giant for their honours, they're also giants for their mentality.

140k people watching live holy shit

nothing new really but i cant focus on literally anything else today so i just keep listening and scrolling and reading

That's life, something can change sometime ...
(so I'm also change my mind in some different way)
<- and \I/

ESL teams have somehow decided to "transfer trophies" from UCL to ESL

fuck if I know what that's supposed to mean

like some sort of communists trying to retcon history and pretend things didnt happen. Absolutely unhinged.

This somehow keeps getting worse. We won the Super League 6 times eh? Bloody hell

Could be an interesting finish to this year's Champions League. If City, Chelsea, and Real Madrid get the boot, that leaves only PSG...
Have we already seen the final then (PSG - Bayern)?

I can't help but feel that this is just the natural conclusion of the direction Football has been heading to for quite some time.

As a South American i don't know how valid my opinion of this competition is, so i apologize if anything i say sounds ignorant, perhaps if it was happening here (It could legit happen in the future depending on the success of the ESL) my feelings towards this might be different, but currently, in the middle of a lot of outrage, which i think it's perfectly fair, valid and understandable, i'm not feeling much of anything, at all, just an indifference that feels quite empty.

I guess Football in general, especially in the top european leagues, feels incredibly plastic to me, and it has been for a while, not saying that i don't like watching it, things like the Premier League and the UCL deliver some wonderful Football, and there is still a lot of soul in lower divisions and less prestigious leagues, but it does feel quite artificial at times, so many clubs named after towns that don't have a single player born there, most clubs could completely trade their squads with each other and it would make little difference identity wise, and to me that's what supporting a club is about, identity. I wish there were more clubs like Athletic Bilbao (Poor Bilbao, i was hoping they'd win at least one of those 2 Copa del Rey finals, losing both must hurt a lot, i hope their fans can experience the joy of winning a major competition soon).

I still love the sport, but in the last few years this is the direction it's been going too, players going from top club to top club, receiving ridiculously high wages that can't seem to stop rising, clubs changing their traditional badges in favour of modern logos, becoming brands instead of clubs, the European Super League doesn't feel like that big of a surprise, it doesn't shock me at all that they'd come up with something like this, with the sport becoming more and more plastic with time this is about what i'd expect. I'll probably watch it, because as plastic as it is, those are still incredibly traditional clubs, with high level Football, playing against each other, i have no doubt most matches will be wonderful to watch, and i love watching this sport even when the quality's low, so this will be fun for sure, especially watching with mates or with my dad.

There's a lot of people on social media mad at the US for some reason, since a lot of american owners were involved in this, and it's clearly trying to follow an amercian model, especially with the whole thing about being closed and having no relegation, to be honest i don't even think it's bad to experiment and copy from the americans, there isn't a right and wrong way to organize any competition, just different, however if they were gonna copy anything from those leagues it should've definitely been the salary cap, i believe our sport needs this desperately before it collapses onto itself.

ESL teams have somehow decided to "transfer trophies" from UCL to ESL

fuck if I know what that's supposed to mean

like some sort of communists trying to retcon history and pretend things didnt happen. Absolutely unhinged.

It would actually be funny if out of nowhere Stade de Reims has 2 UCL titles

I'm simply disgusted with the whole thing. It's the absolute shit-peak of modern football.

Don't even know what else to say lol. Yesterday I was quite mad (no pun), today I'm so detached that I feel like the proverbial guy who watches the asteroid directed on earth from his roof, comfortably seated with beer and sunglasses. I'll support my team in the "poor" Serie A left behind until it will still exist in some form of continuity with his story.. for the rest, let it all come down if it has to, at this point I'm just curious to see how low they can get.

Football began to die in England in 1992 with the breakaway Premier League leaving all the power with those clubs and leaving the FA and EFL with no power at all.

The whole game revolves around greed. From shirts; here's another new kit that we've been paid millions by a sponsor to have their name on the front. You now get the privilege of paying us £50-£100 for it and to give free advertising for them by wearing it around the country. To rip off food/drink kiosks in the stadium, to continually rising tv subscriptions and ticket prices to watch so we can pay the players who will earn more in a couple of months than you will in your lifetime.

I would imagine most of the owners of the other 14 clubs in the Premier League would be quite happy to see the Premier League become a closed shop so they have no moral high ground either.

UEFA are no better with their new plan to have two teams qualify for the Champions League by virtue of their UEFA co-efficient just in case a 'big' team has a bad season. Aren't they also proposing the top 8 in the 36 team league automatically qualifying for next season as well?

These clubs are so lucky there are no fans allowed at the moment, could you imagine this weekend's coming fixtures across Europe?

Unfortunately as has been said there are so many new fans who support whichever team is best at the moment or just support players and have no real affinity to clubs. Then you have the huge Asian market who will lap up the tv subscriptions.

This is the result of having football clubs run by people who have no idea what it is like to support a football club. Your club. Toys for billionaires or run by Americans for whom most see sports clubs as a franchise.

I think they have also seriously underestimated what the response to it would be.

In a glimmer of hope maybe it can be the catalyst to cause such a furore that something better for football could come out of all this but I won't hold my breath.

Totally let the fans rebuild the local teams, especially Manchester and Milan since they'll get hit the hardest it seems. Would love to see that.

Fans of Man Utd have already done that some years ago having become fed up with modern football and the Glazer's ownership of their club. They created FC Utd of Manchester who have made it up to the Northern Premier League (7th tier).

Lets tell the clubs who are defecting that if they leave NO WAY do we go to matches, nor subscribe. People power can stop this.

sorry for the formatting.

Quotes from the Perez interview with El Chiringuito TV:

>"More competitive games will make everyone earn more money."
>"We came to the conclusion that by doing the Super League instead of the CL we could help the lost income."
>"You have to make profitable income by making more competitive games"
>"The Super League will save clubs financially."
>"Here at Real Madrid we lost a lot of money and we're in a very bad situation. Top clubs in Spain and England are coming to conclusions about fixing football. Madrid alone lost €400m and nothing was being done about that."
>"When you have no other revenue bar broadcast rights, you find a solution to produce more attractive games that allow fans from around the world to see the big clubs playing against each other."
>"The more competitive the games, the more exciting and the higher the revenue. That is how we can survive."
>"UEFA threats? Football has to hange, it has to evolve, like every industry in the world, football needs to adapt to change."
>"Football was losing interest from fans, we need a change."
>"16 - 24 year old fans of that age don't have interest in football. Football needs to adapt to the new generations now."
>"We have to change something to make this sport more attractive at a global level. That's what we did with Bernabeu."
>"The Super League will generate more money. It's more attractive. Manchester-Barca will be more attractive than Manchester vs a smaller team."
>"Money is the most important thing, it will be better for everyone."
>"The Super League is like the Champions League."
>"Teams can come in to the Super League, we never thought of that it's not a closed league, and we always thought about sporting merit. Sevilla can perfectly join the Super League the same way they can go to the CL in their league position."
>"We have 15 teams + another 5 teams. Those 5 teams will earn their place every season."
>"If you win, you receive €120-130m from UEFA but with Super League we will earn much more."
>"The new Champions League format will not save football. I don't understand it, it won't help anything."
>"UEFA is a monopoly, what we're trying to do is save football. They must be transparent, and UEFA never has had a good history."
>"I don't know why UEFA has been threatening since our press release says we would work out with them and FIFA."
>"The players can stay totally calm about their national teams. The ban can't happen."
>"Eliminated from the UCL? It is just a threat. Real Madrid won't be knocked out of the Champions League. Same for the others."
>"La Liga will not kick anyone out."
>"UEFA is a monopoly and it has to end. Football is on the verge of ending. We have to act, quick."
>"I repeat, it is not a closed league. Sevilla can enter."
>"How can La Liga lose prestige? It won't lose value with the Super League. Those two competitions can coexist."
>"Football needs to be more attractive. Younger people now have other hobbies."
>"Champions League is attractive only from the quarterfinals. Nobody cares about the games before."
>"We haven't invited PSG, and didn't talk to any German club yet."
>"If PSG and Bayern Munich refuse, the Super League competition will not be canceled. This is an erroneous claim."
>"The 15 founding clubs are the ones that matter the most in terms of entertainment. Others likes of Napoli and Roma will have a chance to be in the competition one year or another, then we'll see."
>"Everyone says that the Super League is the rich club's league, when that's not true, it's the league to save football."
>"Boris Johnson said he will do everything to cancel the Super League? Someone must have told to him that the Premier League would disappear: it's false, it's not true. Everything will go back to normal."
>"Real Madrid won't start from zero because all our titles won't be forgotten. We will always fight for every single title. The Champions League is losing interest."
>"I want to assure, no team can be eliminated from the UCL this season. Why? It's impossible legally."
>"Super League will lose interest? No because the games will be between big clubs."
>"Real Madrid don't pay me anything. If I want to get a shirt, I'll buy it"
>"We don't want the rich teams to be richer and poor teams to be poorer. Football is a unity. Right now it's at a freefall."
>"VAR, referees. Everything will change, for the good"
>"I didn't have to convince Laporta to join, this Super League will help Barcelona and football. They are in a bad moment. This is the worst situation I've ever seen in 20 years, economically."
>"We have been working on this project for a long time."
>"We sold players we did not want to sell to make money. We lost 300 to 400m due to the pandemic. My players have had to lower their salary, the same for my employees. It's a huge mess"
>"All the clubs signed for the Super League on Saturday, not yesterday. The contract is binding, nobody will leave. There will be no problems between all the clubs, everything is already agreed."
>"We'll only select the best referees, under a professional criteria."
>"Clubs are losing too much money. Big clubs and small clubs. TV rights have changed. We only earn 20% from TV rights."
>"As I said, nobody can leave. We will all work together."
>"We might have to make the football match shorter if it's not interesting"
>"I'm a believer in transparency, I'm fully aware on how much LeBron James makes, but I don't know how much the UEFA president makes. Why?"
>"We had to lower our salaries. I have a feeling that UEFA did not."
>"There will be a salary cap at 55%."
>"We haven't talked to Tebas recently. We'll talk to UEFA and FIFA."
>"To make it simple, we want to make it the same as how basketball is. (an independent European league, like the EuroLeague)."
>"If they want to wait for 2024 to make the reform, they can wait. We're not waiting for anyone."
>"Football is in danger, and I'm working with the other teams to save football."
>"If UEFA don’t want to come to an agreement, we won’t back down. Because we need the Super League.”
>"There are some matches I can't stand to watch."
>"The big clubs will share the money, like a pyramid. We could even have a second divison of the Super League."

Lets tell the clubs who are defecting that if they leave NO WAY do we go to matches, nor subscribe. People power can stop this.
This is why they want to push forward with this idea - you just don't understand. They don't need local fans like you. If you leave just go, there are millions of people from Africa to Asia ready to subscribe TV packages and travel to the stadiums (when they can) and buy merch. You don't generate as much money as those millions do. I'm from one of those PL TV Asian countries, and I know people around me can't wait to watch the Super League. It's fucking shit but that's the reality

>"We came to the conclusion that by doing the Super League instead of the CL we could help the lost income."
>"Here at Real Madrid we lost a lot of money and we're in a very bad situation. Top clubs in Spain and England are coming to conclusions about fixing football. Madrid alone lost €400m and nothing was being done about that."
>"When you have no other revenue bar broadcast rights, you find a solution to produce more attractive games that allow fans from around the world to see the big clubs playing against each other."
>"The more competitive the games, the more exciting and the higher the revenue. That is how we can survive."
>"UEFA threats? Football has to hange, it has to evolve, like every industry in the world, football needs to adapt to change."
>"16 - 24 year old fans of that age don't have interest in football. Football needs to adapt to the new generations now."
>"We have to change something to make this sport more attractive at a global level. That's what we did with Bernabeu."
>"The Super League will generate more money. It's more attractive. Manchester-Barca will be more attractive than Manchester vs a smaller team."
>"Teams can come in to the Super League, we never thought of that it's not a closed league, and we always thought about sporting merit. Sevilla can perfectly join the Super League the same way they can go to the CL in their league position."
>"We have 15 teams + another 5 teams. Those 5 teams will earn their place every season."
>"If you win, you receive €120-130m from UEFA but with Super League we will earn much more."
>"The new Champions League format will not save football. I don't understand it, it won't help anything."
>"UEFA is a monopoly, what we're trying to do is save football. They must be transparent, and UEFA never has had a good history."
>"I don't know why UEFA has been threatening since our press release says we would work out with them and FIFA."
>"The players can stay totally calm about their national teams. The ban can't happen."
>"Eliminated from the UCL? It is just a threat. Real Madrid won't be knocked out of the Champions League. Same for the others."
>"UEFA is a monopoly and it has to end. Football is on the verge of ending. We have to act, quick."
>"How can La Liga lose prestige? It won't lose value with the Super League. Those two competitions can coexist."
>"Champions League is attractive only from the quarterfinals. Nobody cares about the games before."
>"If PSG and Bayern Munich refuse, the Super League competition will not be canceled. This is an erroneous claim."
>"The 15 founding clubs are the ones that matter the most in terms of entertainment. Others likes of Napoli and Roma will have a chance to be in the competition one year or another, then we'll see."
>"Everyone says that the Super League is the rich club's league, when that's not true, it's the league to save football."
>"Boris Johnson said he will do everything to cancel the Super League? Someone must have told to him that the Premier League would disappear: it's false, it's not true. Everything will go back to normal."
>"Real Madrid won't start from zero because all our titles won't be forgotten. We will always fight for every single title. The Champions League is losing interest."
>"I want to assure, no team can be eliminated from the UCL this season. Why? It's impossible legally."
>"Super League will lose interest? No because the games will be between big clubs."
>"We don't want the rich teams to be richer and poor teams to be poorer. Football is a unity. Right now it's at a freefall."
>"I didn't have to convince Laporta to join, this Super League will help Barcelona and football. They are in a bad moment. This is the worst situation I've ever seen in 20 years, economically."
>"We sold players we did not want to sell to make money. We lost 300 to 400m due to the pandemic. My players have had to lower their salary, the same for my employees. It's a huge mess"
>"All the clubs signed for the Super League on Saturday, not yesterday. The contract is binding, nobody will leave. There will be no problems between all the clubs, everything is already agreed."
>"Clubs are losing too much money. Big clubs and small clubs. TV rights have changed. We only earn 20% from TV rights."
>"I'm a believer in transparency, I'm fully aware on how much LeBron James makes, but I don't know how much the UEFA president makes. Why?"
>"To make it simple, we want to make it the same as how basketball is. (an independent European league, like the EuroLeague)."
>"If they want to wait for 2024 to make the reform, they can wait. We're not waiting for anyone."
>"Football is in danger, and I'm working with the other teams to save football."
>"If UEFA don’t want to come to an agreement, we won’t back down. Because we need the Super League.”
>"The big clubs will share the money, like a pyramid. We could even have a second divison of the Super League."

Ladder matches? Tag team matches then?:LOVE:

They don't need local fans like you. If you leave just go, there are millions of people from Africa to Asia ready to subscribe TV packages and travel to the stadiums (when they can) and buy merch.
This is my fear too.
Local/leagcy fans could get their voice heard back in the day by not showing up at the stadium (well, this doesn't really apply to season ticket holders as they had already paid for the ticket) or by complaining during the matches with chants (or with the lack of them) and banners... They are now seen as a pain in the ass more than as something which could benefit the club: they do care about the club, some of them would still show up at the stadium day in day out, if it were possible... And make their voice heard if things aren't going the right way.
But how many are they? 80 thousand? 100 thousand? Would "old school" fans really be a big part of the income if compared to the TV rights which get paid a shitload of money and then re-sold to millions of people? No way. Clubs are cynical: they saw that they can do away with local fans if TV rights are paid enough, so they won't hesitate a moment to throw them in the bin if they thought it would benefit their balance.

This is why they want to push forward with this idea - you just don't understand. They don't need local fans like you. If you leave just go, there are millions of people from Africa to Asia ready to subscribe TV packages and travel to the stadiums (when they can) and buy merch. You don't generate as much money as those millions do. I'm from one of those PL TV Asian countries, and I know people around me can't wait to watch the Super League. It's fucking shit but that's the reality

I fear this is true and it's what pains me the most. Older, local, match-going fans ("legacy fans", as they disgustingly put it) aren't needed, and are being quite deliberately pushed to the side.

As a fan of a team in a smaller league I actually feel quite fortunate after the revelations of the last few days. That league hasn't been sold down the river (don't get me wrong, they would've if they could've) like the English game, and I - unlike swathes of the profitable TV market - have access to a local team that represents my community, playing at a reasonable level (take the piss out of Scottish football all you want, it's a reasonable level if you take into account the entire world). If you're a Man Utd supporter from Manchester being left behind, or a Man Utd fan from Singapore being embraced - you're both missing out on what made and what will sustain football.

I do wonder what the long-term future holds. I simply don't believe the so-called super league will hold the world's attention for 20, 30 years. But time will tell.

Perez kept going on about "saving football". Scandalous claim to make once, let alone multiple times like he did. Myopia has been taken to new heights.

Perez sounds exactly like the type of people they're trying to attract with the league.
"Small teams? Ewwww"

A little off topic, I know, but...
Going back through the years to see how Swedish teams would qualify to tue UCL (thanks to the conversation I had with @fregen), I thought that anyway (ESL or not) UCL as it is now is way unfair.
Wouldn't you think a format like this, similar to the one used in the early '90s, with all the rounds being home/away knock out (and the final being a single match in a neutral venue) would be better in terms of equality and in terms of "show"?
Imagine Real Madrid vs. Chelsea in the Round of 32 (knock out stage!) or Real Madrid vs. Barcelona in the Round of 16... Wouldn't it be nice (and more fair)?

L2FnJEf.png

(1), (2) and (3) when applicable mean the place in the league a team finished the year before, for example Italy (2) would mean 2nd placed team in Serie A.
The image is based on the current UEFA rankings, of course it should be updated as the UEFA rankings change.

Of course to be even more fair we should remove the 2nd placed teams from the top leagues, but I think that this would already be a step in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom