The 'Things That Piss Me Off' Thread

I used to think that too, Ricky. But I think there's a bigger picture here.
My mom would not watch a movie if it wasnt dubbed. She just cant focus on a movie and read subtitles at the same time. She gets headaches and losses interest after about 10mins.

I know there's a choice here ,but big platforms like Netflix trying to dumb people down by dubbing movies?
Wtf?
I know it's a common practice in countries where English isn't as strong/use to be as strong (France/Germany/Italy etc) as in my region of Scandinavia.

Tried to watch the shitty movie Becket ,in Swedish ,next level crap.
Fuck off with that Netflix
You know what's the fun part here. In my country all foreign movies are ALWAYS and were since forever, Original Language with greek subs. Only exception are the kids movies. cartoon series/movies who are usually greek dubbed and some times both dubbed and/or english language with greek subs.

This was always a factor of inside critisism, that we are a third world country because we haven't specialized dubbing and we use subs. (I have also relatives, cousins from Germany beign 50%-50% greekogerman, that know bot Deutsch and Greek and when they are in Greece, they complain that they cannot watch movies in greek TV/cinemas cause they are not train to catch up reading the subs while watching the movie.)

But after i have seen some Turkish, Russian, Bulgarian, German, Italian, etc channels , that dub everything in their home language, i realised that when you dub something, you are subtracting a lot of the acting art, even the colour of the voice of the actor is part of acting, having someone else's voice acting over Liam Neeson's icon voice for example, removes a lot of the magic.

You know what's the fun part here. In my country all foreign movies are ALWAYS and were since forever, Original Language with greek subs. Only exception are the kids movies. cartoon series/movies who are usually greek dubbed and some times both dubbed and/or english language with greek subs.

This was always a factor of inside critisism, that we are a third world country because we haven't specialized dubbing and we use subs. (I have also relatives, cousins from Germany beign 50%-50% greekogerman, that know bot Deutsch and Greek and when they are in Greece, they complain that they cannot watch movies in greek TV/cinemas cause they are not train to catch up reading the subs while watching the movie.)

But after i have seen some Turkish, Russian, Bulgarian, German, Italian, etc channels , that dub everything in their home language, i realised that when you dub something, you are subtracting a lot of the acting art, even the colour of the voice of the actor is part of acting, having someone else's voice acting over Liam Neeson's icon voice for example, removes a lot of the magic.
Yes ,same here we've always had subtitles for all foreign movies except some kids movies ,so we're used to that ,and like you say dubbing movies takes away so much from the acting.
Turkish Al Pacino in scarface aren't doing it for me:)

I know some countries using this system some voice actors has careers just being the voice of certain actors.

I get that some countries have it ,but trying to start a new system like this in a country that never had it is beyond stupid.
It's enough that Netflix has the option to speed up movies ,in case you don't have the time to watch a 90 min movie you can do it in 45 min...

It's enough that Netflix has the option to speed up movies ,in case you don't have the time to watch a 90 min movie you can do it in 45 min...

I hadn't spotted that option, that's hilarious :LOL: All actors sounding like a chipmunks movie. Sad indictment of society though. Attention span of a goldfish.

I have always watched any foreign series/movie with subtitles, I can't stand watching something so obviously set in another country and hear English accents or worse still American.

I hadn't spotted that option, that's hilarious :LOL: All actors sounding like a chipmunks movie. Sad indictment of society though. Attention span of a goldfish.

I have always watched any foreign series/movie with subtitles, I can't stand watching something so obviously set in another country and hear English accents or worse still American.
It's so bizarre with that 1-2,0 speed.
It's quite common with dubbed movies/series on Netflix , especially on the trailers when scrolling on the app.
I managed to see 10 min of an Italian series with English on as language ,by default.

I think the only series I've watched that could pull it off is Wallander (English version) with Kenneth Branagh (spelling) set in Sweden , everything is Swedish except the language ,works pretty good.
They've even had more attention to details than the Swedish version

I think the only series I've watched that could pull it off is Wallander (English version) with Kenneth Branagh (spelling) set in Sweden , everything is Swedish except the language ,works pretty good.
They've even had more attention to details than the Swedish version

Yeah that worked well I thought. I see they've made a Young Wallander, no idea if it's any good though.

My mom would not watch a movie if it wasnt dubbed. She just cant focus on a movie and read subtitles at the same time. She gets headaches and losses interest after about 10mins.
I would love to think of her like Mrs Brown, saying something like "How am i supposed to concentrate on what i'm watching,when i have to keep reading the fecking screen!!" :P She is right though.

However, a few years back (can't remember the name) i watched this french parkour film, it was very good. That was a very rare occasion for me.

I would love to think of her like Mrs Brown, saying something like "How am i supposed to concentrate on what i'm watching,when i have to keep reading the fecking screen!!" :P She is right though.

However, a few years back (can't remember the name) i watched this french parkour film, it was very good. That was a very rare occasion for me.

Oh my, I can't believe I haven't put that in this thread!

Mrs. Brown's. Boys.

I'd go to war against that programme.

I was browsing through Twitch last night & he was at the top of the sports section.. I didn't even know he streamed! Almost 300K subscribers there. Man's getting paid from all sides :LOL:

Nor did I. What he does, fair enough. How he does it, piss off. And more fool the people who lap it up. Deadline day/the transfer window is horrible. Most of the ongoings should be treated with the same contempt as the Super League was.

I see Barcelona being the butt of jokes from Real Madrid fanboys (none of whom from Madrid, funnily enough) about their dealings. Although it'll still be vast sums of money, fair play to them for drastically cutting costs. Their hand has been forced, of course, but what of Real bidding £200m-ish for Mbappe months after whining about a lack of revenue?

Edit: Just saw this. Wow.

@rockstrongo It wouldn't be so bad if qualifying was interesting. Hungary tonight is going to be a tough game but having San Marino and Andorra in the group is like Man City and Chelsea being in a champions league group with Bognor Regis

I've often thought that qualifying itself should be a tournament. Get it all out the way, rip the plaster off but with a tournament vibe
That's a great idea. Especially if it was played across two countries and those two countries played in the other's country so that no team could be at home. Then you could play just one game against each team as it would be a neutral venue. Play it in the summer in the years between euros/world cups.

There, we've sorted it, I'll ring the relevant bodies if you could book hotels for the teams :LOL:

Such a sad story, but it's not the story that pisses me off, but the police with their comment. All i will say is "No shit! Sherlock" where do they find these super sleuths? read it and you will see.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...-act-of-love/ar-AAO4t2k?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

It is baffling how unfit for service, some of these police are. The recruitment & training process's should be reviewed imho.

Couple of years back here in Aus, they had a big recruitment push. Big marketing & all the jazz. Signed many young officers. One of these unfortunate souls, on his first week, was patrolling & got told to pull over an erratic driver in the middle of the freeway. Whilst trying to deal with this erratic junky.. on a busy highway, he was hit by a truck. I have also seen & been pulled over on the freeway by booze-buses many times. No awareness, no proper training.

They do this brain-dead crap so much, I think some of the smart ones don't even bother anymore becoming a cop. What's the point ?

@Buzzy Surprised it didn't say "After an in depth investigation" first!

I think the problem with the police is like a lot of things that over the last 20-30 years have gone from one extreme that was totally wrong to the other extreme that is equally wrong. You had the times of people being 'fitted up' and cover ups etc to a complete swing where the criminal now has all the power whilst the victims can basically fuck off and the police's hands are tied or if they do get them in court some judge will give out a ridiculously lenient sentence or a suspended one etc.

Back
Top Bottom