The Retro-PES Corner

I hate online

We regularly play offline in France.

Fair enough, but I think that could be the answer to your previous comment.

What you are doing is excellent, (i can only speak for myself) but, being a married man in my 50’s living in England, getting involved in a tournament abroad when I have other commitments is not happening. ;)

But it is good what you are doing 👍🏻
 
Fair enough, but I think that could be the answer to your previous comment.

What you are doing is excellent, (i can only speak for myself) but, being a married man in my 50’s living in England, getting involved in a tournament abroad when I have other commitments is not happening. ;)

But it is good what you are doing 👍🏻
I really don’t want my message to come across as disrespectful or intrusive into your personal lives. It’s simply a thought I wanted to share with you.


I’m 40 years old, and I grew up in a time when facing your opponent meant playing offline, face-to-face, in the same room.


There was something special about that era. The exchanges between passionate players, being physically close to your opponent, the pressure of a match played right in front of you, the discussions before and after the game… All those little things made the experience truly unique.


After 2008, I moved on completely and gradually lost interest in video games.


Then, years later, I found that passion again — the same passion I had left behind in 2006.


Since 2025, I’ve been organizing PES 6 tournaments. And from tournament to tournament, I’ve seen players who once had a very high level — sometimes even an impressive competitive record — start coming back.


Word of mouth has been spreading, old players are reconnecting, new passionate players are joining us… and in a way, a part of that old scene is coming back to life.


Of course, 20 years later, our lives are no longer the same. Many of us now have families, children, jobs, responsibilities and commitments that we simply didn’t have when we were 18 or 20.


But that’s exactly the point: I’m not talking about going back to the way we lived 20 years ago.


I’m simply talking about finding a little time, every once in a while, to experience that feeling again.


Once a month, every two or three months… everyone according to their own possibilities. It doesn’t have to take up a huge part of our lives.


The PES 6 20th Anniversary tournament is a perfect example of that. Players from France, but also Belgium, Italy, Switzerland and other countries will be travelling to take part.


These are occasional gatherings. Not every weekend like 20 years ago. Just a few moments throughout the year to play, reconnect, share stories and, above all, have fun.


Because personally, even at 40, the passion I have for these games is exactly the same.


What has changed is our lives around them. Not necessarily the feeling we get when we have a controller in our hands.


I really enjoy meeting people who experienced that era, hearing their stories, sharing mine, and bringing people together around a series that meant so much to an entire generation.


And today, I have an ambition that goes even further: eventually creating a real European, and perhaps even worldwide, circuit for senior players — from 25 to 80 years old — dedicated to the classic PES, Winning Eleven and ISS games.


Not simply to organize competitions.


But to keep a piece of history alive, bring different generations of players together, and show that a passion for these games doesn’t disappear simply because we get older.


Because deep down, you can be 20, 40, 60 or 80 years old: when you sit down to play old PES, the passion hasn’t aged a day.
 
I really don’t want my message to come across as disrespectful or intrusive into your personal lives. It’s simply a thought I wanted to share with you.


I’m 40 years old, and I grew up in a time when facing your opponent meant playing offline, face-to-face, in the same room.


There was something special about that era. The exchanges between passionate players, being physically close to your opponent, the pressure of a match played right in front of you, the discussions before and after the game… All those little things made the experience truly unique.


After 2008, I moved on completely and gradually lost interest in video games.


Then, years later, I found that passion again — the same passion I had left behind in 2006.


Since 2025, I’ve been organizing PES 6 tournaments. And from tournament to tournament, I’ve seen players who once had a very high level — sometimes even an impressive competitive record — start coming back.


Word of mouth has been spreading, old players are reconnecting, new passionate players are joining us… and in a way, a part of that old scene is coming back to life.


Of course, 20 years later, our lives are no longer the same. Many of us now have families, children, jobs, responsibilities and commitments that we simply didn’t have when we were 18 or 20.


But that’s exactly the point: I’m not talking about going back to the way we lived 20 years ago.


I’m simply talking about finding a little time, every once in a while, to experience that feeling again.


Once a month, every two or three months… everyone according to their own possibilities. It doesn’t have to take up a huge part of our lives.


The PES 6 20th Anniversary tournament is a perfect example of that. Players from France, but also Belgium, Italy, Switzerland and other countries will be travelling to take part.


These are occasional gatherings. Not every weekend like 20 years ago. Just a few moments throughout the year to play, reconnect, share stories and, above all, have fun.


Because personally, even at 40, the passion I have for these games is exactly the same.


What has changed is our lives around them. Not necessarily the feeling we get when we have a controller in our hands.


I really enjoy meeting people who experienced that era, hearing their stories, sharing mine, and bringing people together around a series that meant so much to an entire generation.


And today, I have an ambition that goes even further: eventually creating a real European, and perhaps even worldwide, circuit for senior players — from 25 to 80 years old — dedicated to the classic PES, Winning Eleven and ISS games.


Not simply to organize competitions.


But to keep a piece of history alive, bring different generations of players together, and show that a passion for these games doesn’t disappear simply because we get older.


Because deep down, you can be 20, 40, 60 or 80 years old: when you sit down to play old PES, the passion hasn’t aged a day.

I'm sold. You need your own thread here (and maybe PES Reddit) that details all events but weeks/months in advance.

I'd play if I knew in advance when it was, where etc.
 
Last edited:
Many French champions and top players take part in my tournaments.Yet here, you all seem to ignore me and prefer playing in Master League against the computer.

Funnily enough, I was in Paris for a weekend last November (I live in Western US, so it’s not like I’m often “around”) and almost messaged you in hopes you would be organizing a tournament when I was there. I don’t think anyone is ignoring you; we just don’t live near you. Keep fighting the good fight!
 
Funnily enough, I was in Paris for a weekend last November (I live in Western US, so it’s not like I’m often “around”) and almost messaged you in hopes you would be organizing a tournament when I was there. I don’t think anyone is ignoring you; we just don’t live near you. Keep fighting the good fight!
When I talk about being “ignored,” it’s not so much about the distance between us, but rather about the behavior I keep noticing after each of my posts.


Very few people react — often just one or two likes — and hardly anyone seems interested in asking for more information, or even leaving a simple message like, “What you guys are doing is really great.”


Instead, I see my posts quickly getting buried under messages about Master League or your own personal stories and experiences.


After a while, I can’t help but feel that, nowadays, initiatives like this simply don’t generate much enthusiasm.
 
When I talk about being “ignored,” it’s not so much about the distance between us, but rather about the behavior I keep noticing after each of my posts.


Very few people react — often just one or two likes — and hardly anyone seems interested in asking for more information, or even leaving a simple message like, “What you guys are doing is really great.”


Instead, I see my posts quickly getting buried under messages about Master League or your own personal stories and experiences.


After a while, I can’t help but feel that, nowadays, initiatives like this simply don’t generate much enthusiasm.
It happens. If someone has interest, I'm sure they'll ask. I'd love to know geographical demographics of where users are from. France might have a couple of %, I'm sure.

But generally, if people aren't interested, they skip on. Like when I ask for help, and the messages flood in, but nobody bothers. And they wonder why I don't share the dozens of missing kits... 🤣🤣 Sometimes got to give to receive.

I'm curious though if there's some kind of prize for the winner, or is it like a football derby, and it's just bragging rights
 
I really don’t want my message to come across as disrespectful or intrusive into your personal lives. It’s simply a thought I wanted to share with you.


I’m 40 years old, and I grew up in a time when facing your opponent meant playing offline, face-to-face, in the same room.


There was something special about that era. The exchanges between passionate players, being physically close to your opponent, the pressure of a match played right in front of you, the discussions before and after the game… All those little things made the experience truly unique.


After 2008, I moved on completely and gradually lost interest in video games.


Then, years later, I found that passion again — the same passion I had left behind in 2006.


Since 2025, I’ve been organizing PES 6 tournaments. And from tournament to tournament, I’ve seen players who once had a very high level — sometimes even an impressive competitive record — start coming back.


Word of mouth has been spreading, old players are reconnecting, new passionate players are joining us… and in a way, a part of that old scene is coming back to life.


Of course, 20 years later, our lives are no longer the same. Many of us now have families, children, jobs, responsibilities and commitments that we simply didn’t have when we were 18 or 20.


But that’s exactly the point: I’m not talking about going back to the way we lived 20 years ago.


I’m simply talking about finding a little time, every once in a while, to experience that feeling again.


Once a month, every two or three months… everyone according to their own possibilities. It doesn’t have to take up a huge part of our lives.


The PES 6 20th Anniversary tournament is a perfect example of that. Players from France, but also Belgium, Italy, Switzerland and other countries will be travelling to take part.


These are occasional gatherings. Not every weekend like 20 years ago. Just a few moments throughout the year to play, reconnect, share stories and, above all, have fun.


Because personally, even at 40, the passion I have for these games is exactly the same.


What has changed is our lives around them. Not necessarily the feeling we get when we have a controller in our hands.


I really enjoy meeting people who experienced that era, hearing their stories, sharing mine, and bringing people together around a series that meant so much to an entire generation.


And today, I have an ambition that goes even further: eventually creating a real European, and perhaps even worldwide, circuit for senior players — from 25 to 80 years old — dedicated to the classic PES, Winning Eleven and ISS games.


Not simply to organize competitions.


But to keep a piece of history alive, bring different generations of players together, and show that a passion for these games doesn’t disappear simply because we get older.


Because deep down, you can be 20, 40, 60 or 80 years old: when you sit down to play old PES, the passion hasn’t aged a day.

Yep I understand, I don’t play online.

I play PES 2008 with my 60 year old brother every 3 to 4 weeks face to face. We made up our own cup with every team in the option file and it takes about 3 years to complete.

I think we are into our 4th or 5th cup now so that’s been about 15 years. It’s the reason I have been updating my PES 2008 option file and ISO every year.


When I talk about being “ignored,” it’s not so much about the distance between us, but rather about the behavior I keep noticing after each of my posts.


Very few people react — often just one or two likes — and hardly anyone seems interested in asking for more information, or even leaving a simple message like, “What you guys are doing is really great.”


Instead, I see my posts quickly getting buried under messages about Master League or your own personal stories and experiences.


After a while, I can’t help but feel that, nowadays, initiatives like this simply don’t generate much enthusiasm.

As @Pagi84 mentioned it would make more sense to start your own thread. That way your posts won’t get buried by other stuff and hopefully you can build a community 😉

It is excellent what you do, and going by the photos you already have good support 👍🏻
 
Many French champions and top players take part in my tournaments.Yet here, you all seem to ignore me and prefer playing in Master League against the computer.
But what exactly is the problem? You should create a dedicated thread to promote the event.

Honestly, I don't think it is sensible at all to dismiss people who come here to share their experiences with different versions of the game. Regardless of how they play, they are fans who have lived through multiple generations of these games, and their experiences deserve to be taken seriously as well.

Quite visibly, you were bothered by not receiving attention. That is rather atypical behavior for a spoiled teenager.

Or do you think I didn't experience the 80s, 90s and 2000s? Tournaments with friends, staying up all night. Tournaments between LAN houses. Rivalries that developed between different cities and states.

The majority of these people simply use the game as a vehicle for competition, to display their ego, prove who is the best, become the "super champion," remain undefeated, and so on. It is essentially the same mentality we see in toxic online modes. And we have seen it. We were firsthand witnesses to what it eventually became: a card-collecting competition inside a casino-like platform.

Therefore, the essence of these offline tournaments is practically the same, with very few exceptions.

Most of what you see is competitors using Real Madrid vs. Brazil, Inter vs. Inter, exploiting tricks, exploits and bugs. At my age, I simply don't find that appealing anymore. Sorry, but that's the truth.

That said, I have nothing against it. Everyone is free to enjoy the game however they want. What makes absolutely no sense to me is trying to belittle or dismiss people simply because they don't subscribe to the same philosophy.

For example, I live in a country of continental proportions, covering approximately 8,509,360.850 km².
Brazil is home to completely different cultures, huge metropolitan areas, mountain ranges, forests, semi-arid regions, extensive coastlines, and a degree of human and geographical diversity that is almost impossible to describe in its entirety.

If I said that I knew even 5% of my own country, I would probably be exaggerating. There are places where it takes entire days just to travel through certain regions or get from one city to another.

That makes me wonder: at this very moment, how many people are playing offline, online, in local tournaments, with friends, against the CPU, or simply enjoying the game in their own way?

To me, all of these experiences have importance and meaning. Every match can be seen as a kind of small universe of events, shaped by circumstances, choices, difficulties, discoveries, and moments that, over time, become part of our memories.
At the end of the day, what really matters is the feeling each person develops towards the game and the positive moments that remain etched in their memory.

That is why I believe that we, here on Evo-Web, should not look down on one way of playing or another. It does not matter whether someone prefers playing against the CPU, facing friends locally, competing online, taking part in tournaments, or, for that matter, playing against forest gnomes.

Every experience has its own context and value.

The true richness of a community like this lies precisely in the diversity of experiences that people share: personal stories, the exchange of knowledge, patches and Option Files, discoveries, theories about the game's programming and AI behaviour, discussions about tactics and strategies, as well as criticism, analysis, and different interpretations of what makes each version special.
It is this diversity of perspectives that turns a simple game into something much greater: a collection of human experiences that can span generations.

If you genuinely consider local tournaments important, the wiser approach would be to create a dedicated thread to promote them, including relevant information, contact details, photos, and so on.
Rather than coming into a thread about the history of PES and becoming frustrated because you are not receiving the attention you feel you deserve, while expressing disapproval towards other contributions that may discourage people from participating.
After all, not everyone has the opportunity to compete among the French super champions.
 
Last edited:
I've jumped back onto PES 2016, I was wondering, was a camera tool ever released for this one and if so, does anyone have one they can share? The only lead I've found is from a Yair gameplay mod that apparently unlocked the camera sliders but link is dead.
 
I'm trying to jump back into footy games after many years away because new footy games sucks. What's the new drug that everyone is doing right now? PES 2013? Are the old PES 6 updates with new rosters still happening?
 
I'm trying to jump back into footy games after many years away because new footy games sucks. What's the new drug that everyone is doing right now? PES 2013? Are the old PES 6 updates with new rosters still happening?
Red Banner (what a great nickname, a character from my best Simpson episode ever),

I tried different ones but in the end, I'm always back to Winning Eleven 2008 on PS2.

What would be the cherry on the cake would be the online mode brought back to life.
 
Back
Top Bottom