The Retro-PES Corner

I think Matt is just taking a little break, and the league will pick up again soon. Probably just a bit of statistics fatigue!

That makes sense. I don’t know how he is able to do it, i certainly wouldnt be able to and it may even take the fun out of it.

I keep stats for when my brother and myself play our competition and that is only about every couple of months. That can be a bit of a chore even though I like seeing the stats written out.

@geeeeee @sniglet @slamsoze Thanks for the kind words guys :) Back and ready to crack on with the last 3 rounds of the season. Didn't hear from @Flipper the Priest or @jihado86 so kept their teams as they were bar replacing injured/suspended players.

Still have one game to play but the first one is uploaded and ready for later...

Dinamo Zagreb v Tottenham

Set for 9pm tonight

Hoping to get the next two uploaded (goals galore in those!) for tomorrow and play out the final game of the week (Bayern v Torino) later on and get that ready for upload. :)

As a reminder as it's been a little gap here's the table going into this weekend's games

table.JPG

Atalanta can clinch the title with two games to spare if they win at home to Porto. Elsewhere third place is very much still in the balance with anyone from Porto to Bayern still capable of finishing there). Should Lyon slip up then Porto and Dinamo Zagreb could still harbour hopes of moving into second as well.

Just thought i'd share a couple of brilliant bits of randomness from a game of PES 3 i played a couple of weeks ago

On Twitter I noticed you are playing the fancy modern stuff right now (2011). :LOL:
Looking forward to 2032 when you’ll be posting 2020 videos in the retro thread! :D

;) I like to watch those videos of yours (with the commentary) from time to time. Not that I like to see the old titles (with these animations) like crazy, but I like the whole package you deliver. :D

@geeeeee @sniglet @slamsoze Thanks for the kind words guys :) Back and ready to crack on with the last 3 rounds of the season. Didn't hear from @Flipper the Priest or @jihado86 so kept their teams as they were bar replacing injured/suspended players.

Still have one game to play but the first one is uploaded and ready for later...

Dinamo Zagreb v Tottenham

Set for 9pm tonight

Hoping to get the next two uploaded (goals galore in those!) for tomorrow and play out the final game of the week (Bayern v Torino) later on and get that ready for upload. :)

As a reminder as it's been a little gap here's the table going into this weekend's games

View attachment 22815

Atalanta can clinch the title with two games to spare if they win at home to Porto. Elsewhere third place is very much still in the balance with anyone from Porto to Bayern still capable of finishing there). Should Lyon slip up then Porto and Dinamo Zagreb could still harbour hopes of moving into second as well.

Good grief ...

Not sure DZ deserved anything from that game! Basically one-way traffic for 90 mins and I'm just thankful that Spurs were so profligate in front of goal. Very happy to see Pavlak score, but definitely one for the dubious goals panel - he seemed happy to claim it though. :D

Still, One nil to the DI-NA-MO! George Graham would be proud.

That PC PES 2008 video looked much better than I remembered it being... Could be the broadcast style camera making it look better?

I don't want to be negative in a thread full of positivity, but I struggle to watch or even think about that game without being angry at the horrible transition PES had to 360/PS3. By the time it recovered to a decent level (2011, 2013), FIFA had become such a cultural phenomenon that there was/is pretty much no way back for PES in terms of popularity.

A few better years from 08-12 and who knows where PES could have been now? :(

@geeeeee @sniglet
There was certainly a bit of smash and grab about that win! Also a certain amount of irony that Parrot, after going missing all season, produces his best performance of the season after being dropped! Pavlak said as a keen snooker player he saw right away that the cannon was on and meant it. Regardless of it not being on target, I'm not going to argue with him, I've seen him tackle.

If you want goals, then you're in luck tonight.

Marseille v Lyon

Atalanta v Porto

@geeeeee @sniglet
There was certainly a bit of smash and grab about that win! Also a certain amount of irony that Parrot, after going missing all season, produces his best performance of the season after being dropped! Pavlak said as a keen snooker player he saw right away that the cannon was on and meant it. Regardless of it not being on target, I'm not going to argue with him, I've seen him tackle.

Marseille v Lyon

Atalanta v Porto

Pavlak's hero must be Jimmy White with the angle he saw there! He deserves a goal though, and if the keeper of the stats tries to take it away he'd better sleep with one eye open and shin pads ...

I don't want to be negative in a thread full of positivity, but I struggle to watch or even think about that game without being angry at the horrible transition PES had to 360/PS3.

I will never forget booting up my PS3 for the first time, pissing my pants with excitement, only to be met by that dross. Would be eager to play it again though. Perhaps my take on the game was impaired by the sheer despair at the time.

Marseille v Lyon

Atalanta v Porto

Sorry @mattmid I've been all over the place lately.

Excellent stuff Mafia! Really well presented too.

I have never played PES2008 on PC and i know it got slated but i love the PS2 version. Watching your videos it looks like the gameplay is the same as the PS2 but with much better graphics.

I wonder many didn't like the PC version. I get more satisfaction watching your videos than the PES2020 ones. It looks like it has the same randomness as PS2 and some of the varieties of shots is excellent. So far i have only watched the first 8 mins but that Frei goal in the first match was excellent technique.
My aim was to get people to view PES 2008 in hindsight. It gets a lot of exaggerated criticism. It's not the best in the series but people often retort that it's unplayable shite which is untrue at least on PC anyway. It was just overshadowed by the more impressive FIFA which turned the discussion to "FIFA 08 had evolved, Why can't PES 2008?" PES 2008 is a decent PES game with the classic formula in it's own right but at the time the next gen transition hurt the franchises reputation, As well as there being on pitch niggles that weren't present during the beloved PS2 games, Including lag on the PS3 version & the earliest symptoms of erratic positioning and defending which flared up every few years on PES.

But yes, The game still does what it does best, and that's recreate football magic... The randomness, The incredible goal keepers, Those chances and lottery tickets you buy from range, Incredible interplays and that perfect through pass that feels rewarding.

Even on a so called "shit game", That feeling is ever present and invaluable.

On Twitter I noticed you are playing the fancy modern stuff right now (2011). :LOL:
Looking forward to 2032 when you’ll be posting 2020 videos in the retro thread! :D

;) I like to watch those videos of yours (with the commentary) from time to time. Not that I like to see the old titles (with these animations) like crazy, but I like the whole package you deliver. :D
Thankyou, That means a lot. I try to make it as nice and as presentable as i can. Well, PES 2011 is eight years old now, Considered ancient by todays entitled standards but still plays and amazing game of football in it's own right. Every year people complain that their let down by the newest editions of PES & FIFA and dramatically, That they have nothing to play for another year until they fix things and release a good football game... Well, There's 20 years worth of FUN football game s to play, What's your excuse?

I can play ISS, PES 3, PES 2008, FIFA WC 2010, Football Kingdom you name it - Doesn't matter how old they are. Once you play the 1st half of an "old" football game, You've adjusted and you forget you're playing an old game... All you doing is playing football.

That PC PES 2008 video looked much better than I remembered it being... Could be the broadcast style camera making it look better?

I don't want to be negative in a thread full of positivity, but I struggle to watch or even think about that game without being angry at the horrible transition PES had to 360/PS3. By the time it recovered to a decent level (2011, 2013), FIFA had become such a cultural phenomenon that there was/is pretty much no way back for PES in terms of popularity.

A few better years from 08-12 and who knows where PES could have been now? :(
Well it's probably due to the higher resolution (I'm playing in 4K downsampled to 1080p) The framerate (60fps) and of course the camera. I'm always a firm believer that a realistic broadcast camera drastically alters the immersive experience and again, All it takes is an adjustment. Some people prefer wide full pitch cams for a functional purpose, Which is fine for those players. But for me i like that intimate, zoomed in isometric broadcast feel. It forces you to consider dribbling and build up play a bit more, to pay attention to the players bodies contextually and above all else, Develops an appreciation for the brilliant animations little intricacies that are often overlooked in football games. The little stumbles or slight of footing that gets you to that goal you scored - Not just that final pass or strike.

I will never forget booting up my PS3 for the first time, pissing my pants with excitement, only to be met by that dross. Would be eager to play it again though. Perhaps my take on the game was impaired by the sheer despair at the time.
That's how i felt when i booted up PES 6 & FIFA 07 on my 360 on launch day. I spent £100 on both (Trivially, They both released on the exact same day which is kind of historic) foolish 16 year old me brought into the hype. Less social media and pre release footage to influence me on boycotting the games. I should've stuck with PES 6 on the PS2 for another year.

The more I edit PES2008 PS2 the more I find strange annoying things.

First of all the whole point of me editing PES2008 is to update it (of course) and to do this while avoiding unlocking classic teams and players which can cause ML to be unrealistic. So I don't even edit over the 'Spare League' because those players tend to have random ML prices.

Anyways, I have wanted to slow the pace of the game down a bit by doing global edits.

So I adjusted the Top Speed, Acceleration, Dribble Speed, Short Pass Speed, and Long Pass Speed. But when I tested it in a new ML, players from the 'Spare League' appeared. Their names are PLAYER P1, P2, etc...

I thought that it was because when I did the global edits I had checked 'Apply to Created Players' in PES fan editor. So I unchecked it but they still appeared. So it seems the only way I don't get those spare players is if I don't do global edits.

Hmm....this editing can be a little bit frustrating at times. :(

@geeeeee @sniglet

Marseille v Lyon

Atalanta v Porto

A couple of fascinating games. First off, I’m gutted for @Flipper the Priest , doubles their goal tally for the season and concede five. Some cracking goals though from Lyon.

What a way for @wildwind to seal top spot. Bonkers game. Mario slices it wide for Porto, Atalanta head up the other end and casually put the league title beyond doubt. Again, some barnstormers in that match too!

@geeeeee Hmm, I'll have a look if you like, I've only used the csv on the pes6 editor before but it should be the same priniciple. Can you send me your pes2008 OF converted to PC and I'll have a play with it.

@sniglet
Mad games weren't they. Even though it was Marseille I never felt the game was safe until the fifth went in! Atalanta have been brilliant all season. Every time they've been in danger of losing a game they seem to find another goal from somewhere. They've been clinical in front of goal all season.

@wildwind
Congratulations Ben! :APPLAUD:

@mattmid thanks, i will send it sometime today. No rush though and no worries if you are not able to.

I was thinking...if i did the adjustments but then changed those ‘spare players’ back to their original stats would they disappear again? Hmm... probably not.

I usually give a lot of shit to Pes 2008 next gen but admittedly I'd need to play it again with today's eyes. The most off putting thing of the game, at least as I remember it, was that with a medium team it felt really easy to beat. For example the ml with the default was plenty challenging instead. Don't know don't know, I'll try it again soon.

Last edited:
@geeeeee Hmm, I'll have a look if you like, I've only used the csv on the pes6 editor before but it should be the same priniciple. Can you send me your pes2008 OF converted to PC and I'll have a play with it.

@sniglet
Mad games weren't they. Even though it was Marseille I never felt the game was safe until the fifth went in! Atalanta have been brilliant all season. Every time they've been in danger of losing a game they seem to find another goal from somewhere. They've been clinical in front of goal all season.

@wildwind
Congratulations Ben! :APPLAUD:

Is there any mitigation to my Marseille being so utterly shit? Are the players weaker than most other teams? Am I simply not paying enough attention to tactics? Tried a fair few formations now and getting nothing!

I usually give a lot of shit to Pes 2008 next gen but admittedly I'd need to play it again with today's eyes. The most off putting thing of the game, at least as I remember it, was that with a medium team it felt really easy to beat. For example the ml with the default was plenty challenging instead. Don't know don't know, I'll try it again soon.
I would suggest trying the PC version if you can, The console versions had pretty unacceptable framerate back then which would be pretty intolerable now. Probably another part of the reason why it's not looked back on fondly.

Back
Top Bottom