The Evo-Web Football Thoughts Blog

@rockstrongo I think that night everyone loved Liverpool (well not everyone) but it was a memorable night.

Not everyone, no. Some of us still aren't over the 1992 FA Cup semi final replay penalty shoot out at Villa Park. :LOL: Particularly having been 3 1/2 minutes away from the final in the first match!

Seamless continuation by the way :LOL:

@mattmid It's your lots fault, singing "play up pompey" like when my TV or Grandkids "play up", its not a good thing :DUMMY::PP

At least you eventually won it in 08

@mattmid It's your lots fault, singing "play up pompey" like when my TV or Grandkids "play up", its not a good thing :DUMMY::PP

At least you eventually won it in 08

:LOL:
Yeah that's true but to have got there as a Championship team beating a Liverpool team with the likes of Barnes, Whelan, Rush, Houghton, McManaman and so on would have somewhat eclipsed 2008. A very young Darren Anderton scored in the first game you might remember - and he was never injured for us either :LOL:

Sadly one of our players from that day, Alan McLoughlin , died last week from liver cancer, only 54 too. :( One of my favourite Pompey players of all time. We signed him from Southampton as well, which is hard enough, but he instantly won us all over and was a top player for us from his first game to his last many years later. They did a minute's silence last week but I hope they do another once fans are allowed back.

While we're being nostalgic FA Cup day, what a day that was as a kid. Now totally ruined, kick off time changed, loads of other games on the same day, so much for tradition. Even the weather can't be arsed to be sunny.

While we're being nostalgic FA Cup day, what a day that was as a kid. Now totally ruined, kick off time changed, loads of other games on the same day, so much for tradition. Even the weather can't be arsed to be sunny.

As a kid i loved the build up to the 3pm kick off, the whole day was magic, but they have killed it nowadays with a late kick off, and with it being later, even on the sunniest evening the pitch would be covered in shade.

Also while on about the stadium, they destroyed the iconic twin towers for some arty characterless arch. Also fans making a visit to the final (normally) have had the magic diluted by already being there in the semi.

We need to form a FA/PL watchdog just made up with common sense people, who could see ways to inject traditional common sense values back into the game.

In fact while we are at it, lets have one for the Gov't's of the world :D not the blind watchdogs we now have in place. I better shut up, i feel myself going all "Wolfie Smith" POWER TO THE PEOPLE :P

Also while on about the stadium, they destroyed the iconic twin towers for some arty characterless arch. Also fans making a visit to the final (normally) have had the magic diluted by already being there in the semi.

That is so true. The semi final in 2008, whilst great because it was the first time I'd ever seen my team play at Wembley (we don't do play offs!) but at the same time it totally ruined that moment for the final. I remember that 1992 semi final when we took the lead and those few minutes almost pinching myself thinking we could be going to Wembley (and the proper one) were magical. Only to be ruined by some guy called Ronnie Whelan, whoever he was :P :D

How great was it to see fans at the cup final? What a difference it made to the game and makes you realise just how sterile it's been without them. Oh and what a goal to win it.

what? how is that a good thing
First of all, i should say that what i meant is that clubs can only change coaches/managers in the transfer windows. So they can't sack coaches/manager outside transfer windows.

That is a good thing for several reasons:

1. if a club sacks a manager, they need a new one, often they ask a manager from a lesser club. That is not a good thing.
2. studies are made about the use of sacking a manager/coach/trainer: it is largely useless.

How great was it to see fans at the cup final? What a difference it made to the game and makes you realise just how sterile it's been without them. Oh and what a goal to win it.
Tielemans is such an underrated player. IMO he was Leicester's best player this season and by far the best player on the pitch in the final. Not only because of his goal. His passing is fantastic. That midfield is great: Maddison, Tielemans and not least of all Ndidi (also very underrated). I wouldn't mind both Ndidi and Tielemans at Spurs. Would be better than our current midfield.

What do you guys think about the fan protests at the Super League clubs?

I think it's good that people are showing that they don't agree, but what happened at United is a shame.

And imo there is much more effective way of protesting, a way that can be done with worldwide support. Fans all over the world should boycot the clubs' fanshop for at least a year.
Matchgoing fans should not drink or eat at the grounds, but do it before and after the match outside the stadiums. That way they would hurt owners like that Glazzers (and others) where it hurts most: in their bank accounts.

The ultimate protest would be not to go and watch matches, but that is not very realistic.

And imo there is much more effective way of protesting, a way that can be done with worldwide support. Fans all over the world should boycot the clubs' fanshop for at least a year.
Matchgoing fans should not drink or eat at the grounds, but do it before and after the match outside the stadiums. That way they would hurt owners like that Glazzers (and others) where it hurts most: in their bank accounts

I completely agree with this, the current way even if peaceful is, while a nice show of solidarity, ultimately not going to make an owner sell. A complete boycott of club merchandise would be the best way, however I don't think the fans they consider most important (those in Asia etc who buy lots of shirts and other merchandise) would do it.

The ultimate protest would be not to go and watch matches, but that is not very realistic.

This is the real problem with all seater stadiums. Protest and not go whilst buying your season tickets is pointless because they've already had the money. Protest and don't buy your season ticket would be ideal but the problem is you'll risk losing your seat. In the days of standing this would have been a real option but now...

The thing is this greed goes all the way down. My own club in league 1 are selling players match worn shirts for £150 which is frankly outrageous. Then again we have American owners too.

About the protest at utd,protesting rich club owners doing rich privilege stuff and at the same time mocking Liverpool poverty while you live in a city stricken by even worse poverty.
To me that looks like a bunch clueless brats.
I obviously agree on the protests,hats off to fans being out and showing what the feel about the ownership of their clubs and bizarre League.
Some are smarter than others though..

Last edited:
sunk back into J-League recently, bit painful to have to get up at 6:00 AM on Saturday to watch a game, but worth it!

saw Urawa vs Vissel today and seeing Iniesta is just depressing. Still has the vision and the passing but otherwise just rotten. What a sad sight...

but Urawa won so that's all that matters 🐑

So the 50k big town of Vila real with half the squad being home grown players took out Glazer's multi billion imperium tonight.
Don't want to hurt any utd bouts in here,but to me,that's 1-0 to football.
Well done.
Vamos!

heh i was probably one of the happiest people on earth after that win.. kept on telling United fans that Villareal will likely beat them but all they told me was they are a 7th placed side in a "farmers league"
it feels good now

Given a lot of English fans, nay, more accurately, English Premier League fans (okay, Nigerian guy replying to a goal.com tweet who just chose to support Man Utd, you're DEFINITELY qualified to criticise) attitudes toward the Europa League, I'm glad Villarreal won. That said, Solskjaer took it seriously throughout the competition so credit to him for that.

On a broader note, fans in the stadium and free-to-view-on-YouTube (even with Robbie Savage and Paul Scholes) football is a lovely combo. I sincerely doubt I would've watched it without either. Have to sneer at Florentino Perez saying young people aren't interested in watching football. Probably because so many have lived their whole lives being priced out of it.

Back to the game, I'd be worried about De Gea if I were a Man Utd fan. I know they already are, given his recent performance, but I found myself feeling sorry for him. He had the look of a man who just didn't want to be there, like he doesn't want to be anywhere near a football pitch. I'm no body language expert but everything suggested he was totally disconnected from the environment. It's an expression I know all too well.

My pop assessment as someone who parachuted in having not watched a full Man Utd game since the 2017 final, probably, would be that only Wan-Bissaka, McTominay, Greenwood and Cavani are up to that level. Fernandes was nullified, and the rest looked terrible. Based on the last few weeks, we'd be better off with Keir Starmer and Marcus Rashford swapping jobs.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is a charlatan at best. What draws my ire to him the most is his squad management. He's running the player down like chaff by overplaying every first team player. Give him 3 more years, I'll assure you Marcus Rashford will become Samuel Umtiti or Gabriel Batistuta post-retirement, begging for amputation because the pain was unbearable...if he isn't already knackered enough

Loved last night's Europa League final ,to see that little troll faced gimp Solksjaer, and that cheating buck toothed idiot Fernandes so despondent and grimaced at the end was a joy to behold, that's called karma, if you cheat your way to cheap FK's and penalties all season then it will come back round to bite your ass.

Man Utd fans all over social media have been taunting Liverpool fans for weeks saying look forward to the Europa league next season, calling it a mickey mouse cup, and they cant even beat a team who's entire city has a population of less than Old Trafford's capacity!!! Embarassing !!!

Loved last night's Europa League final ,to see that little troll faced gimp Solksjaer, and that cheating buck toothed idiot Fernandes so despondent and grimaced at the end was a joy to behold, that's called karma, if you cheat your way to cheap FK's and penalties all season then it will come back round to bite your ass.

Man Utd fans all over social media have been taunting Liverpool fans for weeks saying look forward to the Europa league next season, calling it a mickey mouse cup, and they cant even beat a team who's entire city has a population of less than Old Trafford's capacity!!! Embarassing !!!
I was not confident at all leading up to the final. Harry Maguire was out, you know first hand how teams collapse without their best defenders. People acted like they were entitled to a win. Don't even need to watch to name the first 11 almost correctly. As exasperated as the no sub policy was, that was expected

If I were Donny van de Beek I'd just submit a transfer request. Wouldn't want to waste the career under a charlatan

Back
Top Bottom