Star Wars (all new films / shows)

I didn't mind The Last Jedi when I saw it the second time. The worst bits were still bad, but there was still some good stuff there.
The big blunder of the start of this trilogy was to jump the First Order to beyond Empire status from the word go, like they had literally all the resources of the universe and could capitalize on them within a few years. they have like 1200 star destroyers and the bigger ships from Last Jedi, how the hell did they build them so fast? Yeah they have robots but give me a break.
The first Order being a terrorist organization slowly building themselves up would have been better.

I didn't mind The Last Jedi when I saw it the second time. The worst bits were still bad, but there was still some good stuff there.
The big blunder of the start of this trilogy was to jump the First Order to beyond Empire status from the word go, like they had literally all the resources of the universe and could capitalize on them within a few years. they have like 1200 star destroyers and the bigger ships from Last Jedi, how the hell did they build them so fast? Yeah they have robots but give me a break.
The first Order being a terrorist organization slowly building themselves up would have been better.
My biggest question on this: How snowflake fragile was this New Republic, that was vanished by the First Order, in the background of the sequel trilogy, we didn't see a single scene of the new Republic.
This creates a huge power scaling problem to the fictional universe set up.
I mean, the new Republic was the continuity of Aliance to restore tge Republic and was blacksmithed through a tough civil war against a whole Empire , technically against the whole Galaxy regime. It sets up very stupid, that this New Republic fell so easy to the leftovers of the Old Empire army. How can you win and collapse the main body and loose behind the scenes from the remains.
If you add to this from the expanded universe, that many staff from the Imperial forces, declared faith to the Republic.
This powerfull set up of the First Order was clearly a bad "asspull".

I can't define more on the above, to avoid spoilers.

That is the main problem, the first movie Force Awakens should of been alot slower in the first hour and just explained what had been going on in the galaxy.

Why the first order? Was this a continuation from the Empire? Well it wasn't but they use the same ships.
Who was Snook?
Well explained in 2 seconds of dialogue in Skywalker.
There are other elements, but they should of made Force Awakens slower and contain more plot.

Then at the end of Last Jedi, the Rebels (sorry Resistance) had one ship and no troops.
How did they have a base and army again at the start of Skywalker?

There are loads of gripes I have with the new trilogy, but it is a shame Last Jedi happened.

I will probably try and watch it again when it is released on UHD, good job though there is not going to be a Star Wars film for a while.

Well, just saw the korean cam version of the movie (8-grade image an sound, surprisingly good), as I stated before that I wouldn't spend another single dime in anything related to Disney Star Wars ever again, and while I guess the "effort" (by Abrams) should be appreciated, the movie is still a big mess. (Spoilers ahead).

I guess that what really bothers me (and probably a lot of people here), as @slamsoze have described as the big amount of "asspulls" (thanks mate), and the constant "facepalm" moments. For example, Disney feel the need/urge to "explain" trivial and unimportant things like the reason why Han Solo name is "Solo" (who the fuck cares...) but don't feel any need to explain really important stuff like the first order's rise, or how in the fuck Palpatine's still alive (first words of the Star Wars yellow lettered intro says "The dead speak!", which I guess is the quickest "facepalm" moment in all of the "newer" movies, including the prequel trilogies... less than 30 seconds into the movie)

And then as the movie is going by, walking the thin line between tolerable and disastrous, having some OK/cool moments (surprisingly courtesy of C3PO's antics - especially after his memory is wiped), but then all of the sudden they decide to send in Han Solo to have a talk with his son (yeah, I guess the dead can indeed speak) :DOH:

I guess the only nice moment in the movie for me (in which I really thought "that was cool...") was when "ghost" Luke lifts his X-Wing from the ocean, in exact same way as Yoda did with the same ship back in Dagobah (and with the exact same John Williams tune). Which again (and I will say this forever, no matter how many times) goes to show how The Empire Strikes Back is such a masterpiece... I find it sad that the best moment in the movie is a total copycat of just one of the several great moments of Episode 5.

Again, there's no way Abrams could put out the dumpster fire that was Force Awakens and (especially) The Last Jedi in roughly 2 and a half hours. But props to him for trying...

Last edited:
Well, just saw the korean cam version of the movie (8-grade image an sound, surprisingly good), as I stated before that I wouldn't spend another single dime in anything related to Disney Star Wars ever again, and while I guess the "effort" (by Abrams) should be appreciated, the movie is still a big mess. (I won't be posting spoiler warnings, so you may stop reading right now if you didn't watch the rise of skywalker).

I guess that what really bothers me (and probably a lot of people here), as @slamsoze have described as the big amount of "asspulls" (thanks mate), and the constant "facepalm" moments. For example, Disney feel the need/urge to "explain" trivial and unimportant things like the reason why Han Solo name is "Solo" (who the fuck cares...) but don't feel any need to explain really important stuff like the first order's rise, or how in the fuck Palpatine's still alive (first words of the Star Wars yellow lettered intro says "The dead speak!", which I guess is the quickest "facepalm" moment in all of the "newer" movies, including the prequel trilogies... less than 30 seconds into the movie)

And then as the movie is going by, walking the thin line between tolerable and disastrous, having some OK/cool moments (surprisingly courtesy of C3PO's antics - especially after his memory is wiped), but then all of the sudden they decide to send in Han Solo to have a talk with his son (yeah, I guess the dead can indeed speak) :DOH:

I guess the only nice moment in the movie for me (in which I really thought "that was cool...") was when "ghost" Luke lifts his X-Wing from the ocean, in exact same way as Yoda did with the same ship back in Dagobah (and with the exact same John Williams tune). Which again (and I will say this forever, no matter how many times) goes to show how The Empire Strikes Back is such a masterpiece... I find it sad that the best moment in the movie is a total copycat of just one of the several great moments of Episode 5.

Again, there's no way Abrams could put out the dumpster fire that was Force Awakens and (especially) The Last Jedi in roughly 2 and a half hours. But props to him for trying...

You should probably SPOILER most of what your wrote.. A lot of people might not of seen the film yet.

Offtopic: @Chris Davies sorry to bother you again. Can you edit also this topic's title? The Thread Owner is inactive for months.

I posted what i like in the prequel trilogy, the political drama. Now i will tell you what i liked on Rogue One.

I will go reverse from the less favourite to most favourite in the end.

No#4 : I liked the era taking place, cause the most content until then was between either the original or the prequel trilogy. I like contect that explores the era after Episode 3. Although it was jusr before episode 4. I would be glad to see a standalone movie about the early days of the Empire. Its setup, the reaction, the establishment etc.

No#3 : I liked the cheasy quote, that gave also the movie title, when the suicide group of the protagonists were taking off from the Rebels base and the control tower asked for the callsign of their spacecraft , identifying it as Rogue One.
-Rogue One
-There is not such a name sir
-Now there is Rogue One.
Very cool and catchy dialogue!

No#2 : All the battles, both the space and land battles had a very good climax. Very goid balnce between "realism and fantasy" as possible as it is at least. Al tge tactics used were all faithful too guerilla and rebel tactics. Really efficient management of tge limited resources. In contrast with the sequel trilogy mentality, "Oh first Order has a bunch of Star Destroyer fleets, let's throw and waste every X-wing we have to take down 1 or 2 motherships!"

No#1 : One of the most iconic scenes in the whole SW franchise , in my opinion, is the heroine's speech at the Rebel's council. Showing the Rebels becoming more political and rigid, trying only safe operations, and rejecting the mission as suicide, while the heroine, i think her name was Jyn/Jean/Jeen/Jin Erso????, gives a speech about what defines rebels and how rebellions are made. It was very touching for me and if we assume, it gave the rebels the morale needed to continue the resistance and to show them hpw they should work in future battles and operations. Maybe they wouldn't win if they kept their "safe" attitude.
Ok i know this movie came after the old movies, and we all knew the result of tge Rebellion, but i think that speech gave them a part of their character.

I mean this scene, sorry for quality. .Also i loved Admiral Ackbar after this scene.!!! He was lovely badass!!!!

I skipped the Darth Vader scenes, i cause i mentioned them the other day.

It was like great half-time speech, before an epic come-back on sports!!!

Last edited:
Rogue One does seem to be a fav of many ppl, I did love it.

I've enjoyed the new movies, nothing will replace the originals for me.

Saw the latest ones on Monday, loved one it, got a bit cheesey at times but all good.

FD

....Personally I am glad the trilogy is over and like the prequels, I will never watch the new movies again.
There is only 3 Star Wars films worth watching.

This is how you clock the Star Wars franchise (or and sci-fi franchise for that matter) and never look back:
The first three films
KOTOR 1 and 2
Mass Effect 1, 2, 3

Once completed you become jedi.

This is how you clock the Star Wars franchise (or and sci-fi franchise for that matter) and never look back:
The first three films
KOTOR 1 and 2
Mass Effect 1, 2, 3

Once completed you become jedi.
What a great movie would be inspired from KOTOR 1 & 2 story/plot! Great games with great plot!! THey would make great movies, only avoid to let Disney make them, or avoid make them the way the did in Warcraft movie.
BTW they are on massive discount on Steam, sold for ~3€ each one, from 8,00 € original price. I never completed them back in the days.

What a great movie would be inspired from KOTOR 1 & 2 story/plot! Great games with great plot!! THey would make great movies, only avoid to let Disney make them, or avoid make them the way the did in Warcraft movie.
BTW they are on massive discount on Steam, sold for ~3€ each one, from 8,00 € original price. I never completed them back in the days.

yes - for their time these were fantastic games - I was younger too with more time on my hands - whether I could play them now afresh - it might be hard.

but the first films create a great sci-fi fantasy
the KOTOR series allows you to explore/learn about the various worlds which I had no clue about from the films
the ME series broadens your horizons to learn that great sci-fi is not a case of waiting for a next SW film/game.

The great thing about these films/games compared to the modern stuff is you could "complete" them (in a far more reasonable time than modern games allow). That is their beauty....once completed I felt satisfied and moved on to something else

Saw Rise of Skywalker last night, really enjoyed it. It's quite flawed in many ways but it couldn't get in the way of me having a good time. It does bend over bacwards a few too many times to get some nods to old things in there, and the not so sly middle fingers to Rian Johnson on multiple occasions are maybe a bit more grating than they are funny (Poor Rose, lol) but at the same time, some of the coolest stuff is actually because of stuff introduced in the Last Jedi so it's all good in the end. Also C-3PO is freaking hi-lar-ious the whole movie.

I wouldn't mind seeing it again tonight! I won't, but I wouldn't mind it. I could see why some people wouldn't much care for it but those who say these new movies are worse than the prequels need to get a head check. Because there is some brain damage going on there.

Yeah...are all shit to be honest. :D Prequels because Lucas wrote the dialogues, had some bad character calls. The Disney movies because no one had a vision or managment over the story, none of the movies are connected.
I would say because of Adam Driver you may watch this but you can skip the rest of the scenes as the whole trilogy doesnt add up.

Bringing this topic back up just to say that the 5th episode of the 2nd season of The Mandalorian ALONE (just 30 minutes) is better than the WHOLE new damned trilogy, plus that freakin' Han Solo movie, and yes, Rogue One COMBINED (all 5 movies = 10 hours of film maybe, more or less? ).

Goes to show what you get when you respect characters' arcs (plus the casting of Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka Tano was simply perfect) and also, when you respect Star Wars lore.

Hopefully maybe those Disney suits have learned to freakin' do their jobs properly, although I believe they'll find some way of eventually f**ing it up in subsequent episodes (since like @gabe.paul.logan said, a lot of them play out like sidequests of open world games, anyways).

Bringing this topic back up just to say that the 5th episode of the 2nd season of The Mandalorian ALONE (just 30 minutes) is better than the WHOLE new damned trilogy, plus that freakin' Han Solo movie, and yes, Rogue One COMBINED (all 5 movies = 10 hours of film maybe, more or less? ).

Goes to show what you get when you respect characters' arcs (plus the casting of Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka Tano was simply perfect) and also, when you respect Star Wars lore.

Hopefully maybe those Disney suits have learned to freakin' do their jobs properly, although I believe they'll find some way of eventually f**ing it up in subsequent episodes (since like @gabe.paul.logan said, a lot of them play out like sidequests of open world games, anyways).

I really don't think Disney give a shit.
They made over $1 billion a film, and countless more through toys and merchandise - Whether they were good or not is irrelevant in Disney's eyes.

Unfortunately even after tried to rewatch the last trilogy, it left me with a depression, to not expect anything.
Just for the record Rey's catchphrase from her battle scene against Palpatine "I am all the Jedi", was a straight copy-paste plagiarism from the catch-phrase of Ashoka Tano in her battle against Darth Vader in Star Wars Rebels Disney cartoon series "I am no Jedi".

Although I can't say I loved the cartoon series, I still prefer the Ashoka VS Darth Vader battle, than Rey VS Darth Sidious.

Last edited:
I really don't think Disney give a shit.
They made over $1 billion a film, and countless more through toys and merchandise - Whether they were good or not is irrelevant in Disney's eyes.
Of course they dont care, they are not Lucas, they would poop each day stamp a SW logo on it and put it on sale thats all they care about.
At least the Mandalorian have a solid core with Favreu controlling and over watching every episode despite almost every episode have a different writer and director. Kinda think like the show flew under the radar so far at Disney so just hope Kennedy and Iger dont want to screw this up too for all their different reasons, as this show won over the old fans, the new fans and any neutrals (with lets be honest Baby Yoda).
(They kinda have some influence i fear as they already tied in some cloning stuff...hopefully not to fix the new trilogy FFS. I dont want this show to be meant for that to explain all the mistakes done there. It cant be done and it shouldnt be done.

I dont want to be that guy but oh no i will be gladly :LMAO:i dont think the Mandalorian season 2 final would have left such impact on our soul without the shitty new trilogy.

Need to watch the 2nd season of The Mandalorian, did enjoy the first.

Heard the guy who played Boba Fett passed away just the other day.

FD

After it being recommended to me by five different people, I got a 30 day Disney+ trial to watch The Mandalorian with the missus (who is a Star Wars obsessive, to the point where she won't watch most of the new films etc. because she thinks they'll ruin Star Wars for her).

Now I've only watched one series so far, and I'm going to sound like an "edgelord" (my big TV event of the year is Bake Off so I'm definitely not)...

...but I honestly don't think I've ever watched more overhyped shit in my life.

If this is considered "good" (and somehow better than the new films that are universally panned)... I mean, people must have forgotten how powerful the medium can be, even when we're talking about a sci-fi universe. The Mandalorian is a poorly written fan-fiction brought to life, with none of the plot-holes addressed.

If it was a video game, I'd say the writing was rough, but at least the mission setups seem fun. As a TV show... Garbage!

Every episode is a new "mission" and he manages to overcome stupendously high odds every time, which just gets boring when you go "yeah he's locked in a prison cell on an abandoned ship but he'll get out of it any second now because he's amazing, yawn" (and the droids carry around keys that anyone can use, there's no extra layer of encryption there - really)...

Every episode was full of holes, with dialogue that reads as though it's been written by an AI. (The last episode, the Republican woman who's just been fired repeated "you said there would be four guards" four times, which wasn't funny the first time, and in the space of a few minutes just became really grating, and weird.)

The last episode in-particular, though... It's the middle of the day, there's a huge army and a massive space weapon pointed at all of them, trapped in a tiny building, and Black Hitler gets on his space megaphone and shouts "we'll give you until sunrise"? You've got an army. There's three of them. They can only see out of the front of the building. At this point, the only excuse for this writing is that you purposefully want them to escape.

Then they leave the Mandalorian for dead, in what's supposed to be a heartbreaking scene, and when the camera cuts to the others escaping, there's zero emotion on their face whatsoever as they're running down the sewers (the cleanest, fanciest sewers ever made). They're leaving someone to die and their faces say "on my morning run lol". Then the Mandalorian turns up behind them, good as new after the droid sprayed some Lynx Africa on the back on his neck - and they're barely shocked. They just carry on with their morning run.

Then they're told by the Mandalorian Queen (or whatever she is) that they killed all the other Mandalorians in sight. But you miraculously got away, did you? And they've never looked in the sewer before? Except within ten minutes of this sequence, of course, they DO look in the sewer and find her. They just decided to look there for the first time that day. And she single-handedly fucks them all up (but their boss is going to magically forget they sent them off to the sewers and they just didn't come back).

Also, what was that absolute bollocks about the jet pack, with the Queen saying something like "it will not respond to you until you're bonded with it"? It's a fucking jet pack! More to the point, ten minutes later, he's using it to get on top of Black Hitler's ship and crash it to the ground! Did the writers forget their own dialogue?

The absolute stab in the eye though - all through the last few minutes, when they're all reunited and everyone's having a good laugh, I was chanting "please don't do it, please don't do it" cos I knew what was coming. The worst of all tropes. Camera cuts to the destroyed ship, and out blasts a perfectly healthy, uninjured Black Hitler, for them to end the series on. If you were doing a parody of a bad TV show, or a SOAP OPERA, that's what you'd do.

One funny thing about the kind of resurrected empire, ruled by, well, the Emperor, is that they are based in this dark ass cavernous goth dump which a rat would probably find unpleasant, but somehow they can build the most technologically sophisticated massive starships, and hundreds if not thousands of them... would they not maybe take 0.1 percent of their resources and build maybe a pleasant living room? And have a bath and some new robes?

This all comes back to something I said earlier in this thread, the New Order, and later new Empire or whatever it is called, are to massive to start with. There was never any need for it. They could have just been small cell terrorists, pockets of what is left of the Empire (See The Mandolorian) and they would have been just as frightening. I mean, the very planet we live on has been on lockdown for almost a year because of something that you could fit into a can of Coke, if you gathered all the virus into one spot (Don't drink from that can btw). I don't hate the new trilogy but the scale is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Been watching all the SW TV series, loved them.

Andor was absolute fantastic.

Not sure if they're overdoing Mandalorian now, but I'll give it a watch.

FD

Back
Top Bottom