Sony PlayStation

I cancelled my pre-order because I couldn't justify spending $790 (the dreaded Gamestop bundle) on a system that only has one game I really want to play at launch (Demon's Souls). I had been hemming and hawing for the past month, but the lack of 1440p support was the final death knell. I'd have to buy a new TV or monitor! Naturally, I'm curious to see how FIFA 21 fares on next-gen, but it's wishful thinking to expect anything other than disappointment. I can wait. That, and there are so many games coming out over the next month or so on PC that I'd rather spend the time and money on that.

Last edited:
I cancelled my pre-order because I couldn't justify spending $790 (the dreaded Gamestop bundle) on a system that only has one game I really want to play at launch (Demon's Souls). I had been hemming and hawing for the past month, but the lack of 1440p support was the final death knell. I'd have to buy a new TV or monitor! Naturally, I'm curious to see how FIFA 21 fares on next-gen, but it's wishful thinking to expect anything other than disappointment. I can wait. That, and there are so many games coming out over the next month or so on PC that I'd rather spend the time and money on that.

Yep absolute madness that PS5 can't support 1440p.

Sony have had a bit of a shocker so far tbh.

But isn't it likely they'll update that with an update in the future?

Seems like a lot of things will be enabled, or fixed, with a firmware update. Not just with the PS5, and not even just with the Xbox, but with the TVs and AV units too.

That being said, after reading all the reviews so far (and seeing a few tweets about overheating PS5s already, albeit ones in small container units in US supermarkets)... I feel like I made the right choice giving the PS a miss this year.

The one thing I'm really sad to miss out on (by not buying one so far) is the DualSense controller.

But in reality, other than a few sports games making the triggers harder to push when your players get tired, the only solid implementation seems to be the stuff in the Astrobot game (which is designed to show it off). So I'll get over it, I'm sure.

Even the reviews of the much-anticipated 3D audio I've read seem to suggest it doesn't sound any different from Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

Seems like a lot of things will be enabled, or fixed, with a firmware update. Not just with the PS5, and not even just with the Xbox, but with the TVs and AV units too.

That being said, after reading all the reviews so far (and seeing a few tweets about overheating PS5s already, albeit ones in small container units in US supermarkets)... I feel like I made the right choice giving the PS a miss this year.

The one thing I'm really sad to miss out on (by not buying one so far) is the DualSense controller.

But in reality, other than a few sports games making the triggers harder to push when your players get tired, the only solid implementation seems to be the stuff in the Astrobot game (which is designed to show it off). So I'll get over it, I'm sure.

Even the reviews of the much-anticipated 3D audio I've read seem to suggest it doesn't sound any different from Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

I am getting the PS5 on launch and pre-ordered Spiderman, but I personally can't see a single reason to buy a next gen console at the moment.
It really is the worse console launch ever.

As for the PS5 overheating stories, the unit is going to run very very hot.
In an enclosed space I think anything would overheat, there is literally no where for the heat to go.

Last edited:
I am getting the PS5 on launch and pre-ordered Spiderman, but I personally can't see a single reason to buy a next gen console at the moment.
Yeah. I'm lucky (in a weird way) that there are so many Xbox games I never managed to finish, that I can now play "with upgrades". The Witcher 3 being one of them. I never even bought Skyrim because I never finished Oblivion.

On top of that, I'll get to play all the games on Game Pass. Which I could have done on the previous Xbox, yes... But at least I'm ready for whenever an actual next-gen game comes out too.

Yeah. I'm lucky (in a weird way) that there are so many Xbox games I never managed to finish, that I can now play "with upgrades". The Witcher 3 being one of them. I never even bought Skyrim because I never finished Oblivion.

On top of that, I'll get to play all the games on Game Pass. Which I could have done on the previous Xbox, yes... But at least I'm ready for whenever an actual next-gen game comes out too.

Xbox is definitely doing the right thing, the launch games might all be rubbish.
But they have worked with developers and they are releasing so many, next gen updates to existing games.
Sony at present are working on gimmicks, like their controller, and 3D audio - I would much rather have Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

I am just bitter, that some console gamers I occasionally play with are getting PS5's so that is the machine I am going to get myself.
Just have to wait a couple of years for the Naughty Dog exclusives to arrive, then I may say I am glad I bought a PS5.

They can add support for 1440p via a firmware update (much like on Xbox), but will they is the question. They've been facing a lot of backlash, but Sony works in "mysterious" ways. The Dualsense does seem less gimmicky and more practical than the PS3 Sixaxis's tilt controls or the Dualshock 4's trackpad. Like you said, we have to see if developers fully utilize it.

They can add support for 1440p via a firmware update (much like on Xbox), but will they is the question. They've been facing a lot of backlash, but Sony works in "mysterious" ways. The Dualsense does seem less gimmicky and more practical than the PS3 Sixaxis's tilt controls or the Dualshock 4's trackpad. Like you said, we have to see if developers fully utilize it.

Sony will not add 1440 support, there is little need to do that for consoles.
The games are restricted to be locked to a certain resolution and frame rate and optimised for that setting.

The controller will probably be very well implemented in 1st party games, and completely pointless in 3rd party games with absolute minimal attention given.

As for the PS5 overheating stories, the unit is going to run very very hot.
In an enclosed space I think anything would overheat, there is literally no where for the heat to go.

I'd take these overheating stories with a grain of salt for now. I agree with you that anything in an enclosed space will overheat. The video I saw was from best buy so just stupid to enclose a console running 24/7. I'm hoping once it releases it will be ok. I was planning to put my console in a cabinet where I had my ps4 (played always with the door open) but this time I'll just put it outside just to be sure (for me, a positive that I got the smallest console)

These are very powerful machines. Don't put them inside anything. They are going to need air up the wazoo at all bloody times.

I did not preorder, then again i never do. I'll follow the same route i have done with ps2, ps3 and ps4 : wait at least a year.
By that time they have sorted out most of the problems, availability will be better, who knows maybe the price too, and they will have some more games available too.
I'm 51, so not as eager to get the newest at lauch day anymore. I do the same with games these days, since i have a backlog.
Buy them a year later, they cost 20 to 30 euro's.

Can't wait to see some games on the ps5 though.

I did not preorder, then again i never do. I'll follow the same route i have done with ps2, ps3 and ps4 : wait at least a year.
By that time they have sorted out most of the problems, availability will be better, who knows maybe the price too, and they will have some more games available too.
I'm 51, so not as eager to get the newest at lauch day anymore. I do the same with games these days, since i have a backlog.
Buy them a year later, they cost 20 to 30 euro's.

Can't wait to see some games on the ps5 though.

Your right, any issues with the launch console will be ironed out within a year and there will be improvements made to the motherboard.
If my PS5 does get hot, then I will take it apart and replace the thermal paste.
As I am sure they are using cheap shit like they did with the PS4, so that should instantly reduce the APU temperature by 10 degrees.

haptic feedback seems to work with PS4 titles:

5 things we’ve discovered by playing with the PS5 Dualsense controller
We’ve been struck by how haptic vibration works in a game like The Last of Us Part II. Not only do we get a feel for it when we ride, right at the start of the game, but we can even feel the vibration with some guitar chords that sound like a soundtrack.
https://nintendosmash.com/5-things-weve-discovered-by-playing-with-the-ps5-dualsense-controller/

Your right, any issues with the launch console will be ironed out within a year and there will be improvements made to the motherboard.
If my PS5 does get hot, then I will take it apart and replace the thermal paste.
As I am sure they are using cheap shit like they did with the PS4, so that should instantly reduce the APU temperature by 10 degrees.

Would you do that while the machine us still under warranty? That seems risky. If it runs hot and still isn't noisy, it might not even be a problem.

its liquid metal, not thermal paste! ^^
https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/07/playstation-5-cooling-uses-liquid-metal-heres-why-thats-cool/

havent seen any negative news on the cooling stuff yet. do you have more information? any information on issues with the ps5 launch yet?

https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/07/playstation-5-cooling-uses-liquid-metal-heres-why-thats-cool/

havent seen any negative news on the cooling stuff yet. do you have more information? any information on issues with the ps5 launch yet?
Apparently there were issues in some stores where they put the console in glass cases. The PS5 gave an information on overheating and turned off.

Apart from that, all Reviews I saw on Youtube said the console is not producing any heat and runs quiet.

Apparently there were issues in some stores where they put the console in glass cases. The PS5 gave an information on overheating and turned off.

Apart from that, all Reviews I saw on Youtube said the console is not producing any heat and runs quiet.
1. ok, i'm aware of these showcase stations were someone with little to no brain put a console into that housing! ;)
any serious information?! :D

2. so far i've seen no real negatives! i'm with you!

my son literally said same thing yesterday. He said he’ll wait until this time year when fifa or pes22 launch and then he’ll get one.

my son literally said same thing yesterday. He said he’ll wait until this time year when fifa or pes22 launch and then he’ll get one.

We are on the same boat, your son and I. The only question is, will I jump ship and buy next spring, or hold out until next fall? Right now I would say next fall.

guys come on... ;)

what about racing games?! what about 3rd person adventure games? what about 1st person shooter? and there is more...

@Chris Davies at least one example for every genre i named above was shown/written about! do you want sources?

i totally get that some users might not be as informed on the topic as others (because they are not as interested)! and thats totally fine!
what i dont like is making comments that sound like facts when they arent! just saying in general!

you guys have no clue how many times i wanted to answer or correct some facts (not to come across as a "mr. knowitall"; far from it; i just want to spread facts and inform others (same as i want to be informed and corrected on my comments, if they are wrong (i am eager to learn something new))) but i didnt because the hammer gets out pretty fast sometimes! ;)

to end this comment: i ALWAYS mean good! :BYE:

Last edited:
TBH, I don't believe reviewers when it comes to gimmicks and stuff like that.

What about racing games - Anyone who is remotely into these, uses a wheel.
1st person shooters - Give me the Xbox Elite controller every day of the week on console.

I know, I am a misinformed idiot and have not been paying attention to the PS5 launch, as there are zero games coming out, absolute zero.

Without trying the new controller, I have no idea what it is going to be like, but I would not believe reviews based on Astro's Playroom as it is designed to purposely show of the new controller.

Obviously I am getting the PS5 next week, and will be surprised if I am impressed with the controller - I have never been impressed with a controller except the Cheetah 125, Xbox Elite controller and first time I ever used a Wii.

TBH I think the DualSense looks like a great addition and will help with the playing experience. I really hope developers take advantage of it and it isnt forgotten like the sixaxis.
I also don't agree that anyone who is into racing games uses a wheel. Im a casual player yes, but when I play Forza, would I prefer adaptive triggers to not? Of course! its an added bonus. For the time being I'm not getting a PS5, but for sure one of the things that makes it stand out is the controller., and having its features is better than not.

Same as people that say oh the Xbox Quick Resume feature isnt important... yeah it isnt, but it is a very nice feature to have.

TBH, I don't believe reviewers when it comes to gimmicks and stuff like that.

What about racing games - Anyone who is remotely into these, uses a wheel.
1st person shooters - Give me the Xbox Elite controller every day of the week on console.

I know, I am a misinformed idiot and have not been paying attention to the PS5 launch, as there are zero games coming out, absolute zero.

Without trying the new controller, I have no idea what it is going to be like, but I would not believe reviews based on Astro's Playroom as it is designed to purposely show of the new controller.

Obviously I am getting the PS5 next week, and will be surprised if I am impressed with the controller - I have never been impressed with a controller except the Cheetah 125, Xbox Elite controller and first time I ever used a Wii.
As you’ll receive yours a week ahead of me, I’d like to know what you think about the DS!

so I owned 2 wheels. Sold em but when I had them I played with a controller from time to time as well. Does that mean I’m not into racing games?! ;) Sure I prefer a real rig setup and stuff but never had probs driving a couple of races with the controller. When you have your wheel set up in the living room it takes a lot of space (at least in mine)!
well I’m considering myself a racing nut; next to football it’s my favorite genre. Will get a new rig and wheel but same time I can’t wait to test the DS!

fully got you. I never was that good in 1person shooters so a better controller wouldn’t make any huge difference. I tried that Nacon Elite controller once, sticks felt so much better, but the trigger weren’t my thing especially when playing PES later.
have you attached any mods to your controller, like those foam rings or similar? Back paddles?

will check out the cheetah now, never heard of it.

edit: and as i "know" you/reading your comments, you seem NOT to be an idiot!! :)))

Last edited:
As you’ll receive yours a week ahead of me, I’d like to know what you think about the DS!

so I owned 2 wheels. Sold em but when I had them I played with a controller from time to time as well. Does that mean I’m not into racing games?! ;) Sure I prefer a real rig setup and stuff but never had probs driving a couple of races with the controller. When you have your wheel set up in the living room it takes a lot of space (at least in mine)!
well I’m considering myself a racing nut; next to football it’s my favorite genre. Will get a new rig and wheel but same time I can’t wait to test the DS!

fully got you. I never was that good in 1person shooters so a better controller wouldn’t make any huge difference. I tried that Nacon Elite controller once, sticks felt so much better, but the trigger weren’t my thing especially when playing PES later.
have you attached any mods to your controller, like those foam rings or similar? Back paddles?

will check out the cheetah now, never heard of it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2743942131...7779&msclkid=691fce770d7811c5ddc491de9b82e586

:BOP::BOP::BOP:

From a fast review i watched. Maximum temperature, with the current games playable, is 44 degrees Celcius and this liqiud metal technology helps, the PS5 console does some noise, but not as much as PS4 and Pro.

Also from menu of Miles Morales, raytracing=30FPS.

Also third party wheels and flight sticks work, while 3rd party gamepads, like Nacon is not recognised by PS5, at least at the moment.\

Finally, disc capacity will be an issue in the near future.

If timestamp doesn't work, go to 10:45.

Back
Top Bottom