Site downtime

Thanks for all your efforts Mart, I hope we (I) aren't coming across as overly whiny on this!

It's definitely better this morning, taking <3 seconds per thread.

It appears that changing avatars is currently broken. Mart?

qwAku33.png

Came here to ask about avatars since downtime. But the problem is already known about.

You can't change or upload new avatar. You can keep the existing one before the downtime, but you can't change it and if you remove it you can't upload another one.

We've been promised more RAM for the server - sorry for the hassle in the meantime. I've been left without direct control of other server settings so am reliant on the hosts getting on top of things.

Perfectly fine here in Goimany.

Maybe the difference was 2 hours later less people? Probably would be worth making a note of how many users it's showing at the time when we report the speed.

Right now it's fairly decent (2-3 seconds to load a thread) but there's only 59 active users, for that low amount of traffic shouldn't everything be zipping around?

Most ever online is over a 1,000 but right now it seems like even 150+ would slow it to a crawl which doesn't seem like normal operations for a forum?

Yep, it's overly sensitive to the number of users online at the moment and doesn't take much for it to slow down. This is also when we're historically at our busiest so it's frustrating.

How are the avatars?

Yeah, I know what needs to be done but can't do it myself. Frustrating. It will be fixed soon!

Damn,it'd rather be fixed today,I have a very special reason for that! (Once you learn the reason you'll get me).

No... well,in 1999 today,6 PAOK fans lost their lives at an accident when the bus they were travelling back home from the stadium on had some issue with the brakes and like turned around and killed them... and it's like a "grieving" day for PAOK fans and the club in general.I had prepared a special avatar just for today,but damn.

How has the speed been in the last day or so? I have more control of the server now and updated the web server software and PHP.

Much improved, can't remember if it's faster/slower than the old server but certainly it's zippy enough for me not to whinge so that's something! ;) If you are comfortable answering how much is the new host per year?

The cost is running the two graphical adverts i.e. otherwise free. I have been looking into a VPS. Our main constraint is the database, which is 5.5gb in size at the moment. That's too big for shared hosting options.

You raise a good point actually - that seems overly large. I'm not sure even with maintaining our wonderful history it should be that big.

Back
Top Bottom