Rugby World Cup anyone?

sonoman

Champions League
13 November 2003
México
Mexico / Türkiye
Honestly I have never seen a rugby match until yesterday when it was the first match of the Rugby World Cup.. It was Argentina vs France at Parc des Princes and it was kind of fun as long as I could barely understand the few rules they have in that sport!
Anyway Argentina won and the commentators were screaming because it was like Argentina is in another division compared to France..

Do any of you guys like rugby at all?

mate, rugby is my favourite game in the whole wide world:D I hope you enjoy the rest of the tournament, if you can get much coverage there in Mexico! Bear in mind, the quality is better later, when the quarter-finals start. Watch for the England vs South Africa game this week and keep an eye out for France vs Ireland, Argentina vs Ireland, and Samoa vs Tonga later on.:)

Anyway Argentina won and the commentators were screaming because it was like Argentina is in another division compared to France..

that's not really true, mate.

argentina are now brilliant at rugby, as they showed against france. years ago, they were pretty useless, but they are ranked 6th in the world right now...

that's not really true, mate.

argentina are now brilliant at rugby, as they showed against france. years ago, they were pretty useless, but they are ranked 6th in the world right now...

I see, it was either that or the fact that the commentators were argentinian LOL!

Rugby is better than footy because there is RESPECT for the referee and touch judges - nobody answers back.

What about Fiji hey? Great stuff, if only Tonga did the same! \\:o/

Who do you guys think will win?
-And do you think the All Blacks will get past the quarters? :cheers:

Last edited:
Yep, Fiji was amazing yesterday.

I want France to win but it's going to be the All-Blacks if the team doens't finish 1st. Anyway, you have to beat any team to be champions. That's why my favourite is South Africa.

Yep, Fiji was amazing yesterday.

I want France to win but it's going to be the All-Blacks if the team doens't finish 1st. Anyway, you have to beat any team to be champions. That's why my favourite is South Africa.

Well you've got a big game for us coming up in Marseilles, Australia vs England\\:o/

That final was heart-breaking for us 4 years ago :sad:

Bad Organisers!

Pretty stupid really, a French World Cup and they make you play the All Blacks in Cardiff:-x They could at least swap the Argentina-Scotland quarter-final with your one, play that in Cardiff instead.

Well that was up to the FFR, not the IRB, twas France's decision to allow Wales and Scotland to hold games, thus when Wales and Scotland hold WC's France will get games. France obviously thought they would ok and win the group, plus the chance Ireland would maybe have been the runners up, and thus travelling from Ireland to Wales much easier for a quarter final.

Argentina are ranked 4th in the World now, and they deserve to stay in France simply because of the Rugby they have played so far, there base camp is in France so they have the easier preparation by not having to travel. It has been a horrible WC for the Northern Hemisphere teams now, not one has looked like they even deserve to be in the WC. Seeing the Pacific Island teams, and Argentina takes games and play hard and fair rugby has been great. Tis about time the IRB shared the wealth more with these teams, and time we saw more of them in International Test Matches.

Ireland hav got what they deserved, nothing, they were a shadow of the team that won a triple crown this year. Brian O'Driscoll, Girvan Dempsey and Geordan Murphy are the only players who stepped up and played Big, too many others were playing on last years performances.

One thing I can't understand is why England and France didn't sign an agreement with each other not to share games with the Celtic unions; thereby forcing them to choose either England or France to host the tournament without them managing to manipulate some home games; ah well, that's the IRB for you #-o

As if Wales or Scotland would ever host it themselves :lmao:
probably end up like 1999 again, where if it wasn't for the rest of the Five Nations, Wales would never have been able to "host" the tournament;)

I know it dont make much sense, but Wales did get to hold the final, thus it was in Wales as such. As you say, they couldnt have held it without the other nations, I seen Austrailia V Romania that year in Belfast, twas great fun to go to a WC match. I guess its do to with getting a share of the money too. France could easily have held the WC without Scotland and Wales. Thats what happened last WC in Oz, some games were meant to be in NZ, anyhow, the Aussie and NZ Rugby Unions couldnt agree on how many games, thus Oz held it on their own. The IRB award the WC to whoever applies for it, tis up the host nation who they might share games with.

Personally, I think Scotland has the grounds to host it themselves, after all, if the Swedes and the Portuguese could make a fist of hosting the European Championships, you'd reckon the Scots could do the RWC justice.:)

How are they going in Ireland with the GAA grounds? Is it only Croke Park in the short term? Or is there a chance of better access for international sports?

On a side note: I think the Australia-Ireland International Hybrid Rules Series has been canned hasn't it?:-(

PS: The Kiwis actually pulled out of hosting the 2003 tournament because they wouldn't give the IRB full advertising at their grounds, and yet they still get "rewarded" with the whole tournament in 2011! :-k

Last edited:
gyi0050802730%5f3302%5fsq%5ffull-lnd.jpg

Re: Haka

You had nothing to worry about

New Zealand-France in Cardiff. We're screwed.

Wasn't a bad one was it? ;)

You bleus did a pretty good job of it! :applause:

But remember, make sure you can do it again next week! \\:o/

Last edited:
Yeah, though I think we (the Tri-Nations) could be doing a bit more for the Argentinians- it's unfortunate that they're not really part of Southern Hemisphere Rugby because they don't have a presence in Super 14 or Tri-Nations; hopefully, if the IRB can get the clubs to release their best players, we can have them included properly. ](*,)

It would be nice if Fiji, Tonga and Samoa more involved with us also. :roll:

By the way fellas, which haka/war cry was the best, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga or Fiji's? :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom