Road to Euro 2012

To be brutally honest i hope Bosnia Herzegovina goes through. And that for double reasons: i like Bosnia and i think Portugal must be one of the most overrated national teams (together with our own national, which is maybe even more overrated).
Portugal don't have a team...it's Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani and 9 other players...you can't win silverware that way. Ronaldo is already an arch individualist with his club teams, but with his country it's much worse...if i was the national coach i might not select him...i think the team coulde be better without him.

To be brutally honest i hope Bosnia Herzegovina goes through. And that for double reasons: i like Bosnia and i think Portugal must be one of the most overrated national teams (together with our own national, which is maybe even more overrated).
Portugal don't have a team...it's Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani and 9 other players...you can't win silverware that way. Ronaldo is already an arch individualist with his club teams, but with his country it's much worse...if i was the national coach i might not select him...i think the team coulde be better without him.

Totally agree with you gerd and hopefully Bosnia will go through, that would be first time our national team qualify for EC or WC.Portugal is nowhere top 5 national teams in world or even Europe they are highly overrated and Cristina is just average player for NT.Only Pepe worth mentioning, even though I hate him he was real monster at the back for Portugal.

+1

go Bosnia !

Honestly, I don't think we are overrated at all. In fact, in my point of view, our NT is underrated by the players and coaches themselves. When you have Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani, Pepe, Bruno Alves, João Moutinho, Raúl Meireles and Danny all together in the same team, all of them key players in their clubs, European top clubs, then you have to rate that team very high. The problems are: firstly, we don't have a team (in the entire meaning of the word) since Scolari days, and secondly, our staff always set the expectations pretty low, which means they won't put all of their effort in an objective goal. If our coach manages and somehow handles to build a team, Portugal will be a top seeded NT in any competition we enter.

I know Portugal is below the likes of Spain, Germany and Holland but frankly, name out 5 NT better than us in this Euro Cup. Italy, France (if not below) and England are in the same tier of us.

Honestly, I don't think we are overrated at all. In fact, in my point of view, our NT is underrated by the players and coaches themselves. When you have Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani, Pepe, Bruno Alves, João Moutinho, Raúl Meireles and Danny all together in the same team, all of them key players in their clubs, European top clubs, then you have to rate that team very high. The problems are: firstly, we don't have a team (in the entire meaning of the word) since Scolari days, and secondly, our staff always set the expectations pretty low, which means they won't put all of their effort in an objective goal. If our coach manages and somehow handles to build a team, Portugal will be a top seeded NT in any competition we enter.

I know Portugal is below the likes of Spain, Germany and Holland but frankly, name out 5 NT better than us in this Euro Cup. Italy, France (if not below) and England are in the same tier of us.

André, i fully agree with the first part of your post. You have great individuals but no team, that is the reason why the team is overrated. Exactly like our national team, with Kompany, Hazard, Lombaerts, Felaini, Witsel, Courtois, Vermaelen, we also have plenty of fantastic individual players (although none come even close to Ronaldo) but no team...Granted Portugal's results are better than our national team's results.

To me Portugal were the biggest disappointment of the last WC.

Huh, have people been talking about this? I saw this very first time just a bit ago, people were talking about it as if really Ronaldo himself missed it. :ROLL:

Cristiano Ronaldo Gets Very Angry ( Bosnia vs Potugal )

This is not to reply a troll but just to show a fact, trivial or not.

Yeah this was funny and just show how arrogant Cristina is . Ibisevic missed for same reason(because of turf) and didn't overreacted like mama's boy. Bosnia all the way.
P.S. There is even a rumour that this piece of grass was sold for 5 000 euros.lol

Last edited:
you said that as if Ronaldo wasted a clear chance, but the fact that it was just all about a f*ckin accident. this was my point. stop being a retard hater.

Last edited:
you said that as if Ronaldo wasted a clear chance, but the fact that it was just all about a f*ckin accident. this was my point. stop being a retard hater.

First of of all I didn't offended you at any point and you called me a retard hater that just show how pathetic you are - seems like you are still having nightmares since Croatia raped you on your home ground.And yeah keep worshiping Cristina, but please pay attention when you write name Ronaldo, because there is just one Ronaldo Luís Nazario de Lima, Cristina is just cheap copy.

Yeah this was funny and just show how arrogant Cristina is . Ibisevic missed for same reason(because of turf) and didn't overreacted like mama's boy. Bosnia all the way.
P.S. There is even a rumour that this piece of grass was sold for 5 000 euros.lol

Grow up, ffs. Arrogant in what? He was obviously angry missing a chance due to the conditions of the "pitch". After the lazers and provocations, of course its a normal reaction. At least, here in Portugal, we have great stadiums and a hose to water it!

First of of all I didn't offended you at any point and you called me a retard hater that just show how pathetic you are

No, that wasn't pathetic but easily reasonable, the thing is you didn't even understand a simple point I meant so going by this, you're normally retard to me. This was another simple conclusion so hope you can understand it as well. :SMUG:

- seems like you are still having nightmares since Croatia raped you on your home ground.

Not at all. I've no problem about the loss, refeering was completely fair and flawless, conditions were perfect and it was a truly deserved victory for the Croatian side. Well, honestly I feel a bit bitter and ashamed not about the result but only because of the nepotist managers of our FA and NT. They're ruining our image by their stupid player selections. Of course we're not a world class side in football unfortunately but our national team's performance wasn't such a dipsh*t for a long time.

So you don't know anything about me and my feelings about the match but you're using stupid statements like that. This had nothing to do with the Ronaldo issue but you somehow slurred on my own country, too. So, this actually shows how pathetic and clueless you are. Oh, boy, you know what, this is one hell of a reason to call you retarded.

And yeah keep worshiping Cristina, but please pay attention when you write name Ronaldo, because there is just one Ronaldo Luís Nazario de Lima, Cristina is just cheap copy.

Another complete bullshit. Those are just the words of a typical retarded and obsessive hater. Oh, should I call him "dos Santos" to make a cheap troll feel good? No, definitely not. It's not your business how I call a player's name. I don't call him either dear Lord Jesus Christ or the way some pathetic haters do. I love both Ronaldos unlike retard haters like you, it was a real joy to watch the Brazilian one back then and now it's another big joy for me to watch the Portuguese one. If anything, O Fenômeno was my top favourite alongside with Zinedine Zidane. I am not sure if CR would even make top ten on my most beloved footballers list. Also I see no need to mention about the huge style difference between them. Anyway, they both are and always will be special for me. Of course, I ain't worshipping a human (no matter if he's a superstar or not) who doesn't even know whether I'm existing or not and why would I do, you better not do so as well. What I only can do would be praising his efforts, that's all. I'll tell you what, I've a problem and that is I just can't remain indifferent to injustice.

So, you can keep trolling as long as you wish if you wouldn't want to see me replying you ever again.

Last edited:
Grow up, ffs. Arrogant in what? He was obviously angry missing a chance due to the conditions of the "pitch". After the lazers and provocations, of course its a normal reaction. At least, here in Portugal, we have great stadiums and a hose to water it!

That also shows a big lack of respect.
Bosnia-Herzegovina was almost destroyd after a bloody civil war. The fact that they are able to play football again is a triumph. Don't moan about the quality of pitches and certainly not the way you do...

I love watching Benfica, Porto, Braga...they play good football. I admire Porto for their successes with a very modest budget. Don't spoil it now by reacting that way.

I agree with Gerd, and to say the pitch wasn't watered enough is madness, more water would have cut the pitch and made the match unplayable. This is a Balkan winter climate, the temperature can drop below freezing and there can be a lot of snow up in those mountains. In fact in the 1980s they had the winter olympic skiing there. You cannot compare the pitches in Lisbon and Sarajevo, it's much harder to prepare a pitch in Bosnia since the weather is a lot colder. Also the Bosnian FA doesnt have piles of money to spend on the latest grass types and irrigation systems, the Portugese FA and clubs like Porto are given a lot of money by Nike, Sagres, etc and they can spend this on the pitch and stadiums, Bosnia (and it's clubs like Velez, FK Sarajevo, Zrinski, etc) hardly get any money from sponsors. I think the pitch was ok, it wasn't a 5 star pitch, but it was more than adequate to play on.

The Spanish said the same sort of things about playing in Kaunas in March this year. Xavi was giving out about how Spain shouldnt have to play on such a pitch, and how it meant Spain couldnt play their short passing game. The pitch in Lithuania was ok, 15 years ago it would have been a normal standard pitch anywhere in the world. Some of these footballers are such spoilt little princesses at times. It's all very well for Xavi, probably speaking from a sunbed on the Costa Brava, to complain about the pitch, he has no idea of a Baltic winter and also that the Lithuanian FA might not be able to afford a massive budget on under-heating etc to keep a pristine pitch.

That also shows a big lack of respect.
Bosnia-Herzegovina was almost destroyd after a bloody civil war. The fact that they are able to play football again is a triumph. Don't moan about the quality of pitches and certainly not the way you do....
Finally someone who understand situation in Bosnia, not like these mama's boys who are always moaning.And for all Portuguese fans pitch was perfect in Denmark but you still couldn't won.What's up with that.

Look, we have nothing against Bosnia and we respect their history. Thanks God this nation finally has his own country after brutal war times. I want to make things clear for God sake. The reason why Portugal blamed their FA is because they choose to play in Zenica while in Sarejevo there was a stadium with better conditions. France played there while ago:

Sarajevo
201097102755679811_20.jpg

Zenica
bp8.jpg

All said, I think Bosnia would have been better playing in a proper pitch. Anyway, our point wasn't the field at all but yes their intransigence.

Last edited:
My friend André, i think Bosnia are perfectly entitled to play in Zenica, they see this as their national stadium. I also think that Portugal wasn't the only team that suffered from the pitch. Players like Dzeko, Misimovic and Ibisevic are very technical players.
The fact that Ronaldo gets stick everywhere he goes? Because he's arrogant and dives...Bosnian people would not do that with Messi...i'm pretty sure of that.

I don't agree with the laser lights. The people who did that should be punished and if the Bosnian FA did nothing to prevent those people doing that, Portugal should win that match...

But i still prefer to see Bosnia at the EC (but let's be honest, Portugal will win it...).

Good luck to both teams...

My friend André, i think Bosnia are perfectly entitled to play in Zenica, they see this as their national stadium. I also think that Portugal wasn't the only team that suffered from the pitch. Players like Dzeko, Misimovic and Ibisevic are very technical players.
The fact that Ronaldo gets stick everywhere he goes? Because he's arrogant and dives...Bosnian people would not do that with Messi...i'm pretty sure of that.

I don't agree with the laser lights. The people who did that should be punished and if the Bosnian FA did nothing to prevent those people doing that, Portugal should win that match...

But i still prefer to see Bosnia at the EC (but let's be honest, Portugal will win it...).

PS: remember a certain Portugal-Belgium where our GK Stijn Stijnen got all the stick from Portugese people...he deserved that...just like Ronaldo. If people react almost universally against a certain player, rest assured that they have good reason to do that.

Finally someone who understand situation in Bosnia, not like these mama's boys who are always moaning.And for all Portuguese fans pitch was perfect in Denmark but you still couldn't won.What's up with that.

Situation in Bosnia? LOL. Its pretty clear it was intended!! You are trying to go through at all costs! The thing is, we still are a little nation compared to England, France or Spain. About Denmark, we lost it and we should have lost by more. I'm not going to dwell on this anymore. As someone said before, you are really retarded. With this, i assume the risk of being banned.

I love watching Benfica, Porto, Braga...they play good football. I admire Porto for their successes with a very modest budget. Don't spoil it now by reacting that way.

gerd, why would my comments or opinions affect your respect and admiration by Porto?

It would be the same if was influenced by miki.92 childish comments. I still like Bosnia as a team, no matter what he says.

PS: remember a certain Portugal-Belgium where our GK Stijn Stijnen got all the stick from Portugese people...he deserved that...just like Ronaldo. If people react almost universally against a certain player, rest assured that they have good reason to do that.

Oh I remember quite well that one. It was my first game at Alvalade, I still have the ticket from that day. Quaresma scored a lovely trivela, the pic is in my mind. Stijnen got what he deserved. Meanwhile, Mbo Mpenza, an extraordinary professional who played and won a league for Sporting, received a standing ovation that night, even from myself and look that I'm far from loving Sporting :P , coz the guy really deserved such a treatment after all the years he spent at Portugal. What goes around comes around.

As for Ronaldo, I don't take it as a bad behaviour, for me it only demonstrates how committed he is to the game. The thing that really pissed me off was what I saw today in the news. A poor old man asks Ronaldo for an autograph, he signs it and immediately moves away without a single smile or even a look at the man. What an arrogant prick! Meanwhile, Pepe and Paulo Bento were gladly taking photos with fans. Pepe might be an idiot in the field but he is a very nice guy outside it.

Good luck to Bosnia tonight. :)

Last edited:

You mean that pathetic group of fans who were cheering for Messi whenever Ronaldo had the ball? They're apparently bunch of retard haters/fanboys like miki.92 and you try to justify their nonsense actions? Oh, gerd, this is a shame. All in all, I personally see an honest (I don't mean 'no arrogance') person in CR who doesn't hold off from saying things wrong or right just to satisfy some people who eagerly tends to hate about successful and handsome people. It's all like the chicken or the egg dilemma to me.

Oh, man. I don't see why that vid is being shown up whenever people talks about the certain topics. This is just a clear foul and Messi didn't dive at all. Maybe I could say that he might have overreacted a lil bit after he'd fallen down (hell, which player doesn't today?) but that would be ultimate malevolence. If anything, Del Horno was the one who completely overreacted and I'd rather say that he actually tried to cheat on the ref miserably. So, you should have find a better one. :P I'm joking, of course you won't b'cuz Messi is clean and plays like a real man almost all the time. Still he isn't an angel but you know, there are already enough of those divers in his immediate surroundings. ;)

lol i post video becauase of pitch, its in worst condition then that in Zenica, and they play CL... noone was crybaby

Mourinho tried to destroy the pitch voluntarily, even dumping sand in stamford bridge in that specific match between Chelsea and Barcelona. Mourinho still does similar things in Madrid: last year, letting the grass much taller than allowed in CL to play Barcelona, for instance, which granted them only a small fine... but according to some this is clearly the work of a strategic genius (mainly portuguese media and some Mourinho fans).

Now that same people put their hands up shouting about the pitch they had to play on. Great for being coherent.

In my oppinion, there are rules and UEFA should take care of this and force the rules are followed. If the pitch acomplishes those rules and normatives, then keep your mouth closed and play.

That said, I understand pitches in winter can be hard to mantain in a lot of places. But some federations (or clubs, it doesn't matter), don't put enough effort to take care of the pitch. And sometimes they do that voluntarily as a strategy when they face bigger teams. We know it happens. In my oppinion, that is unacceptable and if UEFA detects such practices, they should force to change the match to a better pitch.

There's a reason why on the same weather and similar budgets, some clubs have a total unplayable pitch and others don't. But there's no reason for a national federation (that can choose amongst many stadiums) to end up playing on dangerous pitches.

I'm talking about pitches that have large areas without grass and even have some holes in the gorund. That shouldn't be acceptable at this age, because clearly represents an injury danger for players and we all know that in many cases it's not an accident of nature, but a strategy.

Valid points Alex, but for a tiny nation like Bosnia this is maybe the only chance they will ever have to participate to a big tournament...i understand them. It's not entirely fair, but the pitch can never be an excuse IMO...

I'm just looking forward to the match. Professional footballers shouldn't only be able to do it on a pristine pitch - they should be able to adapt to their situation.

Both teams have to play on the same pitch, after all.

Valid points Alex, but for a tiny nation like Bosnia this is maybe the only chance they will ever have to participate to a big tournament...i understand them. It's not entirely fair, but the pitch can never be an excuse IMO...

The thing is that they were on EC with one leg, and than that chance was stolen from them in a *that thing* (I won't call it a match as it was nothing near fair match) against France.

As for pitch they played first match on: We also have those problems in Croatia. But than again, look at the money Portugese, Spanish, Turkish, German etc. FAs have. For example, Turkish FA gets more money from sponsors than Croatian FA gets from sponsors and from bonuses for participating in WC or EC together. And we still have 3 national leagues and few dozens of regional leagues and FA still has to help those little clubs.

Pitch, in whatever state it is, just can't be an excuse for bad result. Every great team must be able to adjust their play to any condition they have to. Is that snow, missing grass, little mud, some water or something else, they must.

The pitch can't be an excuse, of course, but at the same time there must be some minimum requirements for a competition like a Euro Cup.

I'm not talking about the pitch the other day because I didn't watch the match, I'm talking in general. So don't get personal with the next paragraph because I'm talking about things we all have seen now and then and it's not directly related to the Bosnia-Portugal match, because I don't have enough info to judge about that.

If a pitch is lacking big chunks of grass and has holes, to me it's unacceptable, because it can inflict injuries to players. I don't care much about how big is a federation. Federations have more money than it seems. Or at least they have enough money to choose a good pitch (I can't believe there aren't better pitches in a whole country).

Federations send a lot of people on vacations to the big tournaments, their representatives travel with their wives and friends when they go abroad, and they earn money, more than most of us will earn with our work. They earn money with sponsors, from revenue, they receive some money from UEFA and they can even have some kind of local government investment.

Besides, let's face it, choosing a better pitch is NOT more expensive at all. I've seen matches played in pathetic pitches in small countries where at the same week I had watched a match in a much better pitch on a big stadium, only 100 kms away. Most of the times, it's just a matter of strategy, pure and simple.

Now, this strategy is perfectly valid and everyone is entitled to create the environment they deserve for the match. To me it's quite unethical, but that doesn't matter much now. It's a perfectly valid strategy as long as the pitch has some minimum requirements. To me, this requirements are having grass on almost ALL the pitch (no big zones without grass, not having grass sparse with mud in-between) and having no irregular surface (I mean no holes, no bumps).

congrats to Czech republic, totaly deserved the EURO, Montenegro played awfull....if you have the chance, watch the goal of Czech republic...it was something i never seen before..

Back
Top Bottom