RETRO - The Official Amiga Thread

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
Got back into the Amiga scene the other day via WinUAE.

I originally had an Amiga600+ back in the day and they were awesome. Thanks to a disabled lesbian (no really!), I ended up with hundreds and hundreds of games and the chance to relive that again (the games, not the wheelchair bound lady!) is awesome.

I've used WinUAE on and off over the years, but nowdays, it seems to run really well on good hardware.

So cue discussions! As I still have a lot of games in my loft (for some reason, though I gave the amiga away), I can actually legally run the following games!

SWOS 96/97
Turrican 1 & 2
Grand Prix
Chaos Engine
Syndicate
Cannon Fodder
Sensi Golf
Super Skidmarks
Lemmings
Desert & Jungle Strike
4D Boxing
Emlyn Hughes Soccer
Microprose Soccer

and a few more!

SWOS is class (as discussed in the XBLA thread!), but feels better on Amiga. And the fact you can load it onto the 'HDD' of WinUAE allows for patching of new players.

The other games all bring a tear to the eye! Like old music evokes memories, so do old games for me. I can remember the kind of times I was experiencing when seeing the games, or hearing the intro music etc.

Gonna stick with UAE now and always have the ability to dig up the past.

Anyone got any memories of these old classics?

(and for the record, Skidmarks is better than Burnout Paradise!)

Get WinUAE downloaded!!!

Currently just installing a HD version of WinUAE so all the games can be run without frigging around with ADF files :-)

It is illegal though mate. You are downloading Commodore Amiga BIOS files which is copyright Commodore...

I bought Amiga Forever which is legal and contains all the kick start roms that you can use with WINUAE.

I'm using it for research purposes for 24hrs after which time i will be deleting it... :)

It is illegal though mate. You are downloading Commodore Amiga BIOS files which is copyright Commodore...

I bought Amiga Forever which is legal and contains all the kick start roms that you can use with WINUAE.

DJ, are you police or something? When we were in the chatbox talking about TV shows, you were asking if downloading TV shows is illegal or not. What's with the illegal questions? :-k

Manchester United Europe
Kick-Off
Bubble Bubble
Secret of monkey island 1 and 2
Chambers of shaolin
swos
Another world
RICK DANGEROUS
Turrican 2
Shadow Dancer
Final Fight
Golden Axe
PitFighter
Renegade
R-type

Loved those games and still own the disks!

Manchester United Europe
Kick-Off
Bubble Bubble
Secret of monkey island 1 and 2
Chambers of shaolin
swos
Another world
RICK DANGEROUS
Turrican 2
Shadow Dancer
Final Fight
Golden Axe
PitFighter
Renegade
R-type

Loved those games and still own the disks!

Man Utd Europe was good (is that the side on one?)... The 'Sensi' view one was ok-ish, but for some reason never captured the same play as Sensi. Shame, as it tried.

Goal! was good - if suffering from the too fast pace of KO2. That said, I absolutely LOVE Player Manager! :)

Wish they had made Retrograde for the Amiga. Dunno if anyone remembers it, but it was a brilliant C64 game by Thalmus - by like Turrican.

Weird looking back at the Amiga games now - at the time, most of the graphics were so good, it was like 'next-gen' - i.e. Chaos Engine was superb for its time, but to look back now, it looks very basic!

A Chaos Engine remake for XBLA would be great - imagine a Hi-Def one like they like to do with these games - all shiny metal, big explosions, co-op online...

No Dags BUT in the Evo Web rules it more or less states that your not allowed to discuss illegal downloads or share links etc......

Whats up anyway Moaney Moaney ;)?

I didn't mean it in a personal way mate, just thought it was funny that you were the person to bring up illegal wordings and nobody else did, even mods. Ah well :)

I might have to grab WinUAE and see how some of the old games play these days. My best gaming days were during the ST/Amiga days when I used to play games CONSTANTLY, so many great games back then.

Great thread guys!!!

My favourites were:

• Operation Wolf, Operation Thunderbolt - 2 player shoot em up mayhem - OPERATION INITIATED - RESCUE ALL HOSTAGES!!! :)
• Kick Off and Player Manager - this was the start of my obsession with footy games and the way you could swap your teams between the two games - I even sadly set up my own leagues and watched the games between all my player manager teams!! :(
• Shadow of the Beast - at the time amazing graphics and a super cool soundtrack
• Another World - from the first moment you got chased and had to jump onto the swinging vine to avoid the monster I was sucked into this game big time!!
• Power Drift!!! - man this game rocked - Mario Kart on acid I reckon

I had so many great memories with my Amiga - major Nostalgia. Remember my mum and dad picked one up about 2 months before Christmas and every Wednesday leading up to Christmas I'd get home 2 hours before they did and set it up in my room and cane Player Manager for an hour before hurridley putting it back into its box and into the loft before they got home - never got caught once ;)

The Operation games were crap on home computers I thought, still do think light-gun games should stick to actually using light-gun's instead of mice/gamepads/joysticks.

Kick Off and Player Manager were AWESOME games, especially Player Manager, I might have to fire that up on WinUAE :)

Shadow Of The Beast was an average side-scroller, the 90's version of Gears Of War I'd say. Being in that it's a decent game but was just hyped up so much that people said it was actually better than it was. Turrican was miles better ;)

Another World was great. Was it AW or Flashback that had the 3D graphics for the intro? He got out of his car, sat at his PC and beamed into a different time?

Don't remember Power Drift at all, but Super Skidmarks was ace, one of my all-time favourite driving games, along with Ivan "Ironman" Stewarts Off Road Racing :D

Anyone remember Hunter? Midwinter? Moonstone? Chase HQ? Hostages? Great Courts Tennis 2 (I'm not a tennis fan but I put some hours into this game), IK+ (this game needs to be ported to XBLA!), Nitro? North & South? Pang? Defender Of The Crown? Pinball Dreams/Fantasies (STILL can't be beaten for best pinball games ever), UFO Enemy Unknown? Powermonger? Populous? Railroad Tycoon?

Wow, I bet there's tons more too. I'm on the hunt now ...

LOL... good lads!

Dags, I think it was Flashback had that intro, but they were similar - of course AW was the sequel to Flashback.

I'm spoilt a little bit with the old arcade conversions, as I have them on my Arcade Cab (see sig). Power Drift HAS to be played with a steering wheel and the screen tilting is something that should be in arcade racers today!

ChaseHQ (again, on my cab!) is one of my all-time fave games. Even my cab cannot do it justice as you need the upright pedals/gear stick combo. Quick shift up/down gives you a speed boost :)

I remember the XMas I got my Amiga, on XMas day we had a lot of family round and we were playing Pinball Fantasies (was bundled in IIRC) for hours, then multiplayer Grand Prix with my Dad and Uncles - then I had to go to bed and everyone carried on playing Pinball and getting drunk :(

Was laying upstairs gutted!!!

And final mention to Ivans Dags (and the similar + better Indy Heat). I absolutely love those 2 games - the 4 player stand up cabs were great, but I remember putting in loads of time on Indy Heat on the Amiga with my cousin...

Right... gonna get some more games installed on the AmigaHD!

PBB, any good guides for settings up games on the HDD? I remember why I didn't bother with WinUAE, configs for each game and so many settings!

PBB, any good guides for settings up games on the HDD? I remember why I didn't bother with WinUAE, configs for each game and so many settings!

LOL... I'm not gonna lie, its a bit of a bitch, but with a bit of P & Q, you can get it all done in an hour easy.

I'll drop you a PM :)

Beneath A Steel Sky

beneathasteelsky3.jpg

I had it for my Amiga 1200 - 15 disks! It was made by the same guys that brought us the fantastic 'Secret Of Monkey Island'. You can download the full legal PC CD version here:

http://www.gamershell.com/download_2992.shtml

Great thread! :applause:

Or use ScummVM to run it Plan M, along with other classics like Monkey Island, Day Of The Tentacle and Sam and Max :D

Tried following the guide Paul, not sure I've completely set it up right and I'm only on page 2! :( Too much messing around for my liking I'm afraid :( Cheers for the PM's tho :D

Back
Top Bottom