Players to watch out for?

And I liked more Salpingidis. Came off the bench, actively fought, scoring the ball, in general, quite clearly distinguished himself in this match. :P

Salpingidis should've started. I thought he would. Luckily after this performance, he hopefully will start next game. They need his speed and agility up front. Without him, Greek front line is too static and slow.

A pity Salpingidis and Ninis play on the same flank, if one of those could play on the left side they'd be dangerous going forward. Plus, we wouldn't have to see Samaras masquerade as a footballer. :P

Salpingidis should've started. I thought he would. Luckily after this performance, he hopefully will start next game. They need his speed and agility up front. Without him, Greek front line is too static and slow.
Yes, you're right, I think that "Engineer" is simply obliged to release it in the next match at the start. This guy has participated in many Greek attacks and I always heard his name from a commentator in a very approving manner. If he will play in the center of the Greek attack, then I think the Czechs not will be good in the match against Greece. :P

Ninis and Salpingidis shouldn't be competing for a place in my opinion. Ninis can easily play as an attacking midfielder and is in fact more suited there due to lack of pace. And we saw that Maniatis, Katsouranis and Karagounis combination in the middle is TOO conservative and Greece lacked anyone from midfield making penetrative runs into box in first half.

Hello chaps.
Long time since I posted on here... but it is a national tournament after all! (Fairweather fan :PP )

Anyway, there's a fair amount of talk about top scorers, winners and the big names, but what 'lesser' known players are you looking to see, or what young players do you think will make an impact?

I don't think either will start games, but I'm looking forward to seeing if either Giannis Fetfatzidis, or Milan Badelj will make an impact for Greece and Croatia respectively.

Who are you tipping to make a name for themselves?

I doubt Badelj will even get any playing time (unless we lose someone for injury). He's been a prospect but his development stagnates lately and he plays shite. In my opinion didn't even deserve a call.

As for croatian team, I believe Perisic could make an impact.

This is a great match for Alan, but not the fact that he will play well and in next matches. But I hope to see the same game from him in a match against Poland on June 12. :D

Dzagoev had a GREAT chance he missed. Easiest chance he had to score.

Shirokov was PERFECT! Start to finish.

by reading what the topic says in the first post, pilar and gebre selassie were supposed to be the guys to watch out for tonight. yeah, and maybe shirokov too as he might be another 'lesser' known player but dzagoev is definitely not one of them. he's already one of the most famous youngsters in europe. just easy, guys.

Yeah, Dzagoev's been hyped up for a few years now. I'd be surprised if people hadn't already have heard of him or expected him to do well.

Dzagoev had a GREAT chance he missed. Easiest chance he had to score.

Shirokov was PERFECT! Start to finish.
Yeah, Shirokov was also very good today, both in general all Zenit's players in the team. As they say Shirokov not only a greatest twitterman, but also an excellent soccer player. :D

Yeah, Dzagoev's been hyped up for a few years now. I'd be surprised if people hadn't already have heard of him or expected him to do well.

How many players do we know nothing about these days? Modern football is extensively covered by TV, print media and the internet. The days of watching major tournaments and discovering unknown players are long gone.

Just saying.

I was quite impressed with Gebre Selassie today, looked really confident and cool on the ball and made the occasional dribble. Can't wait to see more from him.:)

How many players do we know nothing about these days? Modern football is extensively covered by TV, print media and the internet. The days of watching major tournaments and discovering unknown players are long gone.

Just saying.
Ah, what the Guardian's Scott Murray coined the "Josimar-Murdoch Law of Diminishing Returns".

"The theory that major tournaments are not what they once were because we have too much knowledge and there can never again be that thrill of realising a player or team we've never heard of is supremely talented."

Ah, what the Guardian's Scott Murray coined the "Josimar-Murdoch Law of Diminishing Returns".

"The theory that major tournaments are not what they once were because we have too much knowledge and there can never again be that thrill of realising a player or team we've never heard of is supremely talented."

There is some truth in that though.

Shirokov was perhaps the best player i've seen so far.
I was also impressed by the Czech player who scored their goal, i'd never heard about him and he was outstanding throughout the match: Pilar. Great player.

Gebre Selassie: impressive going forward, but weak as a defender, he suffered enormously from Arshavin and Zhirkov. Not really impressed by him.

Other very good first matches (but not really surprised by it): Mats Hummels and Perisic, Rakitic and Jelavic for Croatia.

Debuchy MoM so far in 1st half.

@Gerd, I mentioned Pilar before tournament starts in this thread. He's been transferred to Wolfsburg and I said he'd be one of the few bright spots of a weak team.

Hummels reminded me of Ferdinand at his peak.

Just ate everything up calmly and was always in the right place at the right time without having to dive in.

Back
Top Bottom