PES2008 PS2 version is the lost game / video thread

geeeeee

International
2 May 2010
London
Tottenham
First of all I want to apologise for starting a new thread for a game that is 10 years old. I could have posted this in the PES2008 official thread but I thought that it may not get noticed as this is, after all, 'the lost game'.

The reason I call it 'the lost game' is because I believe that this game on the PS2 kind of went unnoticed because of the hype and mainly because of the criticisms of the NG and the PC versions of it. Whereas the PC versions of PES5 and 6 were and are still getting patched the PS2 version of this just got forgotten.

I have recently started playing this again after reading old reviews saying that the PS2 version was an improvement on PES6. Albeit slightly faster. But after adjusting the speed globally of each player I am now having so much fun with it in the 3 weeks that I have been playing it. In fact more fun than I have had with PES2017.

The main reason is because of the improved AI compared to 5 and 6, and...because of the shooting...ooh the shooting is sublime. Everything that PES2017 lacks regarding shooting is in PES2008. I know I could get caned for this but it is so refreshing to see both me and the AI hitting various types of shots, some weak some strong some daisy cutters some row z. And because of the body position, defender position, weaker / stronger foot, and stats. The video below shows, Janko, an average AI player have 7 shots and only 1 on target, most going wayward. I know for a fact that if it was a top striker like Ibrahimovic, he would have scored a hat-trick.

Yes I know that there is so much lacking in this game too, but at the moment the gameplay is fun for me and realistic.

I have started a World Cup with some older squads as it is not updated and I will be posting some videos for anyone who cares. ;)

Here is the first Group B game between Austria v Chile (me).

You can move this mods if you want to. I could not find a video thread suitable. I will be posting more videos of my World Cup. :)

Last edited:
I tried this game in the past, but thought we9le was slightly better. Still classic as pes 3/5/6.

Did you try it on PS2?

It may be because its a 'new' game compared to PES5 that i find the AI attack very different and hard to defend sometimes compared to 5.

After reading the PES2018 thread after the demo release and hearing how easy the shooting still is, i have now cancelled my Amazon order.

Love the shooting in this :)

Group C games...

Croatia v Ukraine (me)

England v Switzerland (me)

Loving this game so much! At the moment it's the best PES for me. Better than PES5 and WE9LE. In the England game the CPU really turned up the heat in the second half. Haven't experienced any scripting whatsoever, only players heads dropping when losing so start to make mistakes. This is down to their Mentality stat.

Only If I had PS2, I would have tried it :(

Edit: Holy crap @geeeeee just watched couple of videos and it plays so amazingly. I am super jealous now lol

Last edited:
Lol!

It even plays better than it looks because you can feel the weight of the players too.

I played Turkey (me) v Italy last night and it was the best game so far even though it ended 0-0. I found it really hard to get through their defense and they started pinning me back more and more. There Attack/Defense setting went from being middle and second highest to highest (full on attack) in the last 15 mins. I could really sense the urgency of their attacks. But when i broke they still had some defenders holding back to stop me.

One thing that is an improvement on PES5/WE9LE is it is no longer possible to exploit the wings. Basically the SB's keep their position and don't come inside all the time.

Don't get me wrong Topaz, the game still has its flaws. Like not enough free kicks (i loved the amount in PES5) but you do still get them. The ML only has 8 teams in Div 2. Cannot transfer between clubs as a manager. Things like that. But on the pitch it is awesome.

If PES2018's shooting is as souless as last year then i will not buy it. I will stick to 2008. Shooting is great in this because it really depends on the player, foot, positioning. Yes you can shoot from anywhere but it may be powder puff or it could go row Z. And its the same for the CPU. :)

Last edited:
I managed to play it on PC using an emulator and my god, the best PES so far! No scripting, attacker have better AI, better teams are harder to beat, each player feels unique, shooting/ball physics is so good. The only thing it lacks is probably like you said fouls. But my god, this is a gem.

I managed to play it on PC using an emulator and my god, the best PES so far! No scripting, attacker have better AI, better teams are harder to beat, each player feels unique, shooting/ball physics is so good. The only thing it lacks is probably like you said fouls. But my god, this is a gem.

Topaz, I am so pleased you are able to play the game and that you enjoy it too. It is definitely the best of the PS2 consoles because of the varied attack from the CPU teams and the individuality. Obviously it has its flaws like the 8 directional movement and some passes go to the wrong player. But I tend to blame the 'player' not the game.

How are you finding the speed? I actually used an editor to reduce all the player's speed by 10. That's Top Speed, Acc, Dribble, Passing. I find it a bit fast otherwise.

Are you able to use an option file with the emulator? I have one if you would like me to upload it for you? Won't be until tomorrow though.

Pleased you like it :)

The other thing I like is that it is harder to defend. You can't just go running into someone because they turn you too easily. You have to hold back and press the button at the right time. If you have a top defender it is easier too. Fantastic game this!

Topaz, I am so pleased you are able to play the game and that you enjoy it too. It is definitely the best of the PS2 consoles because of the varied attack from the CPU teams and the individuality. Obviously it has its flaws like the 8 directional movement and some passes go to the wrong player. But I tend to blame the 'player' not the game.

How are you finding the speed? I actually used an editor to reduce all the player's speed by 10. That's Top Speed, Acc, Dribble, Passing. I find it a bit fast otherwise.

Are you able to use an option file with the emulator? I have one if you would like me to upload it for you? Won't be until tomorrow though.

Pleased you like it :)

I am not sure how to put an option file inside an iso file? Is it like a save game thing I have to load on the memory card?

I am not sure how to put an option file inside an iso file? Is it like a save game thing I have to load on the memory card?

Let me know if you can find the folder mentioned here?

https://forums.pesfan.com/showthread.php?223918-Option-file-pc-install

Its for PES 2010 but the same principal applies.

I think i still have it on psp. I might dust it off to play it.

I played a half on it last night. It seems to play the same but its hard to see the screen. Also i use the stick on ps2 and that can be difficult to control on psp i find.

Let me know if you can find the folder mentioned here?

https://forums.pesfan.com/showthread.php?223918-Option-file-pc-install

Its for PES 2010 but the same principal applies.

I played a half on it last night. It seems to play the same but its hard to see the screen. Also i use the stick on ps2 and that can be difficult to control on psp i find.

Since you have a psp, have you tried other recent pes on it ? I heard that in newest pes like pes 2013 on psp, there are things like champions league, master league with normal divisions like newer pes but what about gameplay ? Never tried them but maybe the gameplay is the same as pes 2008, i think it was mostly changing transfers and new teams between versions, not anything drastic in gameplay.

Since you have a psp, have you tried other recent pes on it ? I heard that in newest pes like pes 2013 on psp, there are things like champions league, master league with normal divisions like newer pes but what about gameplay ? Never tried them but maybe the gameplay is the same as pes 2008, i think it was mostly changing transfers and new teams between versions, not anything drastic in gameplay.

Yeh i have the recent ones on the psp and they do play the same as the ps2 versions. But after 2008 the gameplay is not as good in my opinion.

For example the CPU seems to dribble a lot more and when you tackle them or barge them both players seem to slide or spin around but then they get the ball again quickly. The CPU just dribbles a lot. You may not notice it much at first but then you do and you cant disposses the CPU. Increasing the difficulty just makes them harder to disposses.

I have tried them at different times after getting bored with the newer ones but then i find the same problem. Yes you are right they have the Champions League and more teams but the gameplay is not as good. There also seems to be a lack of midfield play in the later ones. I tried changing formations and stats but it didnt make any difference.

It is as if PES2008 and previous ones had a different design and programming team to the later ones.

Yeh i have the recent ones on the psp and they do play the same as the ps2 versions. But after 2008 the gameplay is not as good in my opinion.

For example the CPU seems to dribble a lot more and when you tackle them or barge them both players seem to slide or spin around but then they get the ball again quickly. The CPU just dribbles a lot. You may not notice it much at first but then you do and you cant disposses the CPU. Increasing the difficulty just makes them harder to disposses.

I have tried them at different times after getting bored with the newer ones but then i find the same problem. Yes you are right they have the Champions League and more teams but the gameplay is not as good. There also seems to be a lack of midfield play in the later ones. I tried changing formations and stats but it didnt make any difference.

It is as if PES2008 and previous ones had a different design and programming team to the later ones.

What strikes me the most with pes 2008 old gen is the difficulty. I'm really struggling in professional difficulty. Cpu seems very intelligent.

What strikes me the most with pes 2008 old gen is the difficulty. I'm really struggling in professional difficulty. Cpu seems very intelligent.

It sure is more difficult. It is hard to take on players unless you have skillful dribblers with pace. No catch up bug here.

In the game I played against England I really struggled to break them down because Ferdinand (old option file) was awesome for them.

Are you playing on psp?

I've just ordered another PES2008 for PS2 in case anything happens to my one. Might even order another PS2 it will be about the same price as PES2018 :P

It sure is more difficult. It is hard to take on players unless you have skillful dribblers with pace. No catch up bug here.

In the game I played against England I really struggled to break them down because Ferdinand (old option file) was awesome for them.

Are you playing on psp?

I've just ordered another PES2008 for PS2 in case anything happens to my one. Might even order another PS2 it will be about the same price as PES2018 :P

I'm playing on psp. I also have an emulator for ps2 version, but i think i will continue on psp because i can play it and edit easily everytime i have free time. Shame that there are only two stadiums apparently on psp.

I'm playing on psp. I also have an emulator for ps2 version, but i think i will continue on psp because i can play it and edit easily everytime i have free time. Shame that there are only two stadiums apparently on psp.

Im actually editing it myself too. Obviously all this will take time but its quite satisfying when each team is done.

Do you think a maxfile option file can be used with the emulator? If so i can upload the one i am doing once i get so far.

On the PS2 there are the usual amount of stadiums. Maybe 30ish i think.

I remember playing this for about 10 years ago. Great game. I wonder how good the more recent games are on the ps2, wich is the latest one? 2015? Are they worse?

I remember playing this for about 10 years ago. Great game. I wonder how good the more recent games are on the ps2, wich is the latest one? 2015? Are they worse?

If you check out post #17 above you will see my answer ;)

They play differently from PES2008 in a bad way.

Im actually editing it myself too. Obviously all this will take time but its quite satisfying when each team is done.

Do you think a maxfile option file can be used with the emulator? If so i can upload the one i am doing once i get so far.

On the PS2 there are the usual amount of stadiums. Maybe 30ish i think.

Not sure about the maxfile. Should work though imo.

I really hope that the challenge stays the same with the accumulation of the matches.

Compared to we9le, cpu teams are actually active on the transfer market in ml, that's refreshing.

If you had told me i would play this psp game with crappy graphics and no kitserver over a we9le modded with hundreds of faces, stadiums, real kits, etc... I would have laughed at you. I did though. Gameplay is amazing for now. Many thanks for the discovery gee. It looks really like a more difficult pes 6, without the annoying flaws.

If only there was a way to export this game to pc and adapt a kitserver...

Compared to we9le, cpu teams are actually active on the transfer market in ml, that's refreshing.

If you had told me i would play this psp game with crappy graphics and no kitserver over a we9le modded with hundreds of faces, stadiums, real kits, etc... I would have laughed at you. I did though. Gameplay is amazing for now. Many thanks for the discovery gee. It looks really like a more difficult pes 6, without the annoying flaws.

If only there was a way to export this game to pc and adapt a kitserver...

Heh heh that's funny fmicablues7. :)

Yeh the gameplay is definitely better. Whereas on PES5 and WE9LE it is easy to attack down the wings in 2008 it is difficult because the defenders hold their positions better. Not only that, i have seen on occasion when the SB is struggling with my player, the AI brings the CB over to help out.

I have been struggling to win in my World Cup that i am playing at the moment i may have to drop down to Regular. I have noticed a slight delay with the buttons but i think it could be because i am recording the matches through Aviamedia Player and it may cause the delay.

I also like the Selection Match where you can play with a team full of random players from certain regions. And also the World Tour mode where you have different 'Missions' to accomplish. Simple things but add to the variety of the game.

One thing that is bugging me though. I am editing my option file by adding all Championship Teams and updating teams. I test the ML after each team i make to make sure the players will appear in it as i know that has been a problem in the past with PES5. But some of the player's values are a bit off. For example Button (Fulham GK) is rated at 5000 which is the highest even though he is not that good. I am guessing that it is because he is edited over a Classic Player.

So I removed him and edited him again over someone that was only valued at 300. But when i started a new ML he was valued at 5000 again!!! That's a bit strange.

Another problem is that even though there is the option to turn off Classic / Hidden players in ML, it does not work. It may be a case of just accepting these things as i do not think there is a workaround.

And yes it is refreshing to see the AI teams being active in the transfer market. I put some players on the transfer list and teams came in straight away for them, either to buy or loan them.

It would be good if it could be exported over to the PC but i think people did not bother with this game because it was so bad on other formats so they just stuck with 5, 6, and WE9LE.

Maybe get a cheap PS2 ;)

that was my first pes for psp and i played it a lot, good game. would've tried it again if i didn't break my psp 5 years ago. but i really can't get back into oldgen games, everytime i try it feels too outdated and i don't enjoy controlling the player at all because of that 8-direction grid, still shooting is so rewarding

Heh heh that's funny fmicablues7. :)

Yeh the gameplay is definitely better. Whereas on PES5 and WE9LE it is easy to attack down the wings in 2008 it is difficult because the defenders hold their positions better. Not only that, i have seen on occasion when the SB is struggling with my player, the AI brings the CB over to help out.

I have been struggling to win in my World Cup that i am playing at the moment i may have to drop down to Regular. I have noticed a slight delay with the buttons but i think it could be because i am recording the matches through Aviamedia Player and it may cause the delay.

I also like the Selection Match where you can play with a team full of random players from certain regions. And also the World Tour mode where you have different 'Missions' to accomplish. Simple things but add to the variety of the game.

One thing that is bugging me though. I am editing my option file by adding all Championship Teams and updating teams. I test the ML after each team i make to make sure the players will appear in it as i know that has been a problem in the past with PES5. But some of the player's values are a bit off. For example Button (Fulham GK) is rated at 5000 which is the highest even though he is not that good. I am guessing that it is because he is edited over a Classic Player.

So I removed him and edited him again over someone that was only valued at 300. But when i started a new ML he was valued at 5000 again!!! That's a bit strange.

Another problem is that even though there is the option to turn off Classic / Hidden players in ML, it does not work. It may be a case of just accepting these things as i do not think there is a workaround.

And yes it is refreshing to see the AI teams being active in the transfer market. I put some players on the transfer list and teams came in straight away for them, either to buy or loan them.

It would be good if it could be exported over to the PC but i think people did not bother with this game because it was so bad on other formats so they just stuck with 5, 6, and WE9LE.

Maybe get a cheap PS2 ;)

I'm most impressed by the offensive ai, the defensive ai was already quite good on we9le, maybe with less pressure though. The cpu is really aggressive too.

I don't mind these kind of weird bugs concerning player values in ml. The algorithm used by konami seems really buggy. To be honest, cpu makes really bad transfers(ronaldinho free agent going to newcastle) , but then again i prefer that to the cpu making one transfer per transfer windows as in we9le, i roleplay a bit and think that newcastle was bought by a suggardaddy or some stuff.

Yeah, the people who liked pes 5/6 should try it. It really looks like the pinnacle of the old gen pes. We never know about that export to pc thing. I was sure we9le would never get hd stadiums, and it did finally. But it is surely something more complicated.

I don't mind playing on psp. I like the fact being able to play or edit anywhere and whenever. There aren't much differences compared to ps2, except the stadiums and the commands.

Back
Top Bottom