PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

just played another two games and in both i passed from my full back to the winger wide on the half way line then passed back to my full back but he did not come under my control so was still under AI contol who just stood still and watched the ball trickle past him, but the best bit my gk without me pressing anything came charging out of the net straight past the ball oblivious to it towards the half way line leaving my opponent with a simple tap in to an open net. TWO games on the trot just now!!
and some people say ah its just like real football get real!!!

when this games bad its the pits i cant play fifa for love no money but come on konami
it was not this bad in the ps2 days

Yeah (at henrys hand) the fouling is atrocious they can pull, drag, kick do whatever and slow us down but get away with it, annoying.

And (at johnking) ur right mate when this game is bad its unplayable, so frustrating and annoying. But when its good? it feels amazing.

Dribbling: Is it possible to slalom through defenders like the cpu does?

Every time i go near them its a foul. Yet when i try dribbling past them its just so easy for them to take the ball away.

I have success when cutting back occasionally and unleashing a shot but its so hard to beat a man.

Any tips please?

Yeah when it's good, it does feel amazing. When it's bad, it's diabolical.

My solution is to cheat, frankly. I just switched the game off and will restart the match at another date. I lost the game 2-0, thanks to the CPU playing a through ball that I was dealing with comfortably, I was in control of my CB running back towards his own goal towards the ball with the striker five yards behind me, but just before I got to the ball the game made him do that animation where he just stops, goes to move in the opposite direction, before carrying on where he was going. He did this even though I was IN CONTROL of him! Suffice to say, that tiny and remarkably convenient bit of dodgy coding, or whatever, allowed the CPU in on goal and he scored. There's not much you can do when the game intercepts your own input commands and makes him do something of his own accord. I've seen some bizarre stuff in this game but nothing like that. Was quite comical how bad it was.

I then battered the CPU but by then it had changed its formation to a ridiculous five-man defence with three holding midfielders, and I couldn't break through. Then, in the 90th minute, they broke into my penalty area, and even though all assists are switched off, the game made Palmieri slide in on the striker from behind when I never pressed a single button other than sprint, and again I was in complete control of him.

Result? Palmieri sent off, I lose 2-0 to two goals that were gifted to the CPU by making the player I was in control of do something I never told them to do.

All you can do in those instances, when it's in ML and affects your season, is to switch it off and replay the match, I'm not being cheated out of stuff like that.

And for anyone who says that's just football, rubbish, you don't see Ashley Cole chasing back after a through pass then suddenly stopping and running the other way like he's totally forgotten where he is or why he's there.

I kinda find it funny now. The game does pre-determine whether you win or lose, I see it so many times in ML.

With daymos v4-option file, gameplay has become nicer... probably due to stats- and formation-corrections all around. Just shows how important a good and well updated stat-database really is.

What did Daymos change? Is it better than Chimps and Quiffs edit?

What did Daymos change? Is it better than Chimps and Quiffs edit?

I don't know, daymos v4 is my first option-file/fanedit. It just feels a little bit nicer than before with 1.06 vanilla. Maybe daymos edited some stats of the smaller teams to make them a bit more able.

LTFC

you're absolutely right.

and I insist, the game is broken, and I have never regretted my hard drive wipe, out of curiosity I played 2 games in PES 6, how much freedom and fun.

I'm absolutely flying in my ML now and I've finally discovered how to actually defend. In certain games I'm managing to hold on quite heroically and get blocks, tackles etc on everything, it's great. I'm also converting a vast number of chances when in comparison to before.

What I don't understand is the Konami tutorial video for defending that came out, what, nearly a year ago now. It clearly says you use R2 +X to jockey, then release R2 to break the jockey and move in for a tackle. This system just doesn't work.

Instead, I've discovered, finally, that tapping X will put a foot out for a challenge. You can jockey using R2 + X, and either release X, moving in close to the challenge by slowly jockeying into the player, then pretty much hammer X repeatedly. The success rate for winning the ball is amazing. In a whole season of ML I've barely ever been hit on the counter where the AI strides past multiple challenges, and I only conceded 25 goals in 34 matches. Similarly, if you're running alongside or behind someone, hammering X all the time will often make you muscle the player off the ball. It's awesome. All Konami say is to hold X after releasing yourself from the jockey. But the key is to slow yourself and the striker down, then get close and hammer the X button. It really works.

With shooting, I'm almost exclusively holding L2 before, during and after shooting now. Shots seem to keep low, they don't seem to centralise into the goal like before, and my conversion rate compared to before has gone through the roof. I'm finally capitalising on games I'm dominating thanks to these two control issues being fixed. I'm positive L2 is a shot modifier of some kind, on a lot of occasions the player taking the shot will open his body and place the ball with his instep while holding L2, and often shots into the corner have some lovely curl on them too.

I've never read any tutorial that says to hit X to challenge. I don't even time it, I just make sure I slow the player down or he will still go past you, but once you do that and get close, you'll thrust into tackles, block shots and crosses etc just by hammering the X button. It might be stating the obvious to a lot of people but I've only ever seen the Konami tutorials really, and they pretty much seem to tell you the wrong thing!

Last edited:
I'm absolutely flying in my ML now and I've finally discovered how to actually defend. In certain games I'm managing to hold on quite heroically and get blocks, tackles etc on everything, it's great. I'm also converting a vast number of chances when in comparison to before.

What I don't understand is the Konami tutorial video for defending that came out, what, nearly a year ago now. It clearly says you use R2 +X to jockey, then release R2 to break the jockey and move in for a tackle. This system just doesn't work.

Instead, I've discovered, finally, that tapping X will put a foot out for a challenge. You can jockey using R2 + X, and either release X, moving in close to the challenge by slowly jockeying into the player, then pretty much hammer X repeatedly. The success rate for winning the ball is amazing. In a whole season of ML I've barely ever been hit on the counter where the AI strides past multiple challenges, and I only conceded 25 goals in 34 matches. Similarly, if you're running alongside or behind someone, hammering X all the time will often make you muscle the player off the ball. It's awesome. All Konami say is to hold X after releasing yourself from the jockey. But the key is to slow yourself and the striker down, then get close and hammer the X button. It really works.

With shooting, I'm almost exclusively holding L2 before, during and after shooting now. Shots seem to keep low, they don't seem to centralise into the goal like before, and my conversion rate compared to before has gone through the roof. I'm finally capitalising on games I'm dominating thanks to these two control issues being fixed. I'm positive L2 is a shot modifier of some kind, on a lot of occasions the player taking the shot will open his body and place the ball with his instep while holding L2, and often shots into the corner have some lovely curl on them too.

I've never read any tutorial that says to hit X to challenge. I don't even time it, I just make sure I slow the player down or he will still go past you, but once you do that and get close, you'll thrust into tackles, block shots and crosses etc just by hammering the X button. It might be stating the obvious to a lot of people but I've only ever seen the Konami tutorials really, and they pretty much seem to tell you the wrong thing!

Nice to see you having some fun with the game again.

As to L2/LT while shooting, will try that out, thanks for the suggestion.

LTFC: Hitting X to tackle is definitely not an intentionally programmed game mechanic, as they've specifically said that that's something they'll be adding to PES 2013. With that said, the current system is so poorly implemented that it's not surprising it doesn't work as intended!

LTFC: Hitting X to tackle is definitely not an intentionally programmed game mechanic, as they've specifically said that that's something they'll be adding to PES 2013. With that said, the current system is so poorly implemented that it's not surprising it doesn't work as intended!

It's very odd then, but just releasing the jockey button and holding X as you approach the opponent really doesn't work, you get beaten all ends up every time. I don't know what is going on then with hammering the X button when you're near an opponent, it's still working in ML even against the better teams (one match excepted where they still waltzed past me like I wasn't there). But generally speaking it makes defending massively easier.

It could be that the game doesn't know how to react to the constant changing from "passive" to "active" defensive states. I might give that a try if I ever go back to PES 2012 because the computer dribbling through all my players was one of the most annoying things.

It could be that the game doesn't know how to react to the constant changing from "passive" to "active" defensive states. I might give that a try if I ever go back to PES 2012 because the computer dribbling through all my players was one of the most annoying things.

That's distinctly possible yes, but I have also been seeing very clear animations where your player sticks their leg out or even stretches to block, something they just don't do when I hold X and do nothing else. Really odd!

Also, tapping X when you're behind actively makes your player shove the attacker and makes the CPU activate that stumble animation. Not all the time, but enough for it to make a difference and make worthwhile to try in those instances. That surely can't also be a relation to the 'stop' 'start' nature of tapping X rather than holding it?

It would be interesting to see if anyone else finds the same thing as I do. I went from being awful at the game to romping my ML division by nearly 20 points after discovering this, and by discovering L2 shooting.

Playing in Master League as Wigan and I'm my 2nd season. As you expect I have no money and have picked up some bargains. Played 5 games yesterday and they were all classic PES. The game seemed to be perfection. Maybe it's Daymos option that has done something but at the moment it's playing like a dream. If this game had PES10s shooting and better keepers then it would have been best game ever.

I'm dribbling at the thought of PES13

There are some games where it's just designed to go against you, I had an epic 4-3 loss away at the league leaders earlier, and it was no surprise really. No matter what you do, you'll lose.

I went a goal behind from the CPU powering in a header from a corner. I'm not sure what you can do to defend corners, mostly you win the header and clear but when the CPU decides it's gonna score, it will make sure its attacking player simply out-leaps your defenders and smashes a 100mph header into the net. Nothing I can do about it, surely?

I quickly come back and deservedly equalise, but early in the second half I lose the lead, done over by the standard tactic of long, lofted through ball and then cut-back into the box. 1-2.

The CPU then makes it 3-1, again, thrashing in a 100mph header from an identical corner, with their player leaping higher than anyone else. Nothing I can do about that.

Thinking the game is lost, I relax somewhat yet come back with a counter attack, chipping the keeper despite him getting a decent hand on the ball. 2-3.

Then, my biggest out of the seat moment yet in PES2012, another quick counter, Shimizu stumbles past a challenge, regains his balance, and chips the keeper from 25 yards with an absolute beauty. My favourite goal I've ever scored in the game. 3-3.

I then miss a sitter to go 4-3 up, Bergessio, my usually lethal striker, first time hits a knock down across the box with a tiny tap of the shoot button, yet for some bizarre reason it goes miles high and wide. Utterly, totally random shooting mechanics there.

By this point I just 'feel' like the CPU will still come back no matter what you manage to achieve, and sure enough, the ref blows for a free kick from nothing more than an innocuous collision between two players. And yep, sure enough in the 94th minute, the CPU curls the free kick into the top corner.

That's a 4-3 loss, one of the goals coming from a free-kick that I did nothing to concede in the first place, and could do nothing about him curling into the top-corner, and two other goals conceded yet again from corners, where their players just leap above my defenders and hammer home a bullet header.

Kinda feel ripped off by that loss, but that's par for the course I suppose.

Anyone know how to defend corners? In my ML, since getting promoted to the Primeira Liga, I'm conceding them all the time.

Anyone know how to defend corners? In my ML, since getting promoted to the Primeira Liga, I'm conceding them all the time.

I know how to defend corners and freekicks, so that 90% or more of them don't go in:

For freekicks:

# Get control of the keeper and position him in the middle of the goal and then deselect him again before the freekick is made and then make the usual walljump using the shootbutton.

For corners:

# Don't try to move your defenders, let the movement be done automatically. When the corner gets kicked and the ball is in the middle of its way press the shootbutton once. Then when the ball is near its intended landing-spot, press the shootbutton multiple times in quick succession. The point really is not to touch the left stick while doing this.

I know how to defend corners and freekicks, so that 90% or more of them don't go in:

For freekicks:

# Get control of the keeper and position him in the middle of the goal and then deselect him again before the freekick is made and then make the usual walljump using the shootbutton.

For corners:

# Don't try to move your defenders, let the movement be done automatically. When the corner gets kicked and the ball is in the middle of its way press the shootbutton once. Then when the ball is near its intended landing-spot, press the shootbutton multiple times in quick succession. The point really is not to touch the left stick while doing this.

Brilliant thank you, I'll try that. Now all I need is some kind of tactic to cut out the through passes and I should be good to go!

i keep giving this game chances with all the different patches but tonight was the final straw..the ball rolled towards my keeper about 5 yards from goal and he just stood there ...did absolutely nothing as I was screaming at him to pick it up..then the forward trotted up and kicked it in the net from about 3 yards whilst my keeper watched. not sure if its a bug that I haven't seen or this scripting that everyone talks about.. either way it was so frustrating..so wished i had recorded it

There are bizarre things in the game, that's for sure. I won a match 3-1, but during the game I also hit a shot against the underside of the bar, it bounced up, hit the bar again, and went out to safety. I was sure it went over the line, so I hit the replay and sure enough, the ball was fully over the line. No goal.

Later on, at 3-0 up, the CPU gifted itself a goal in bizarre fashion. As the attacker approached the edge of my penalty area, I began to jockey with a defender immediately in front of him. Rather than slowing the attacker down, all I can describe is that the player under my control ran away from the attacker in a kind of arc, circling around him so he could waltz through on goal. The defender was under my control, but it pretty much made him move of his own accord out of the way, with me frantically trying to push the direction stick back in the direction I wanted him to go. Anyways, the attacker ran past, got to the edge of the box, then cracked in a screamer into the top corner. Suddenly the CPU went mental, skipping past every challenge, playing ping pong passes at 100mph but I managed to see the game out as I'm sure if it'd gone to 3-2, they would certainly have come back to equalise.

It's a great game at times but the more I play it, the more random stuff I see. I'm putting those two examples above down to coding/AI errors though.

When the AI is on cheating mode, this game is easily one of the worst if not the worst football game ever.

In PES 2012 there's no AI. We should take the "I" off of it. Intelligence ? That doesn't exist. Artifical ? Absolutely, absolutely the most artificial I've seen on a game. It's artificial in the sense that CPU players are not human at all, they are machines in every aspect, wich also destroys any sense of individuality, but it's articficial specially physically speaking

I wish I could record a video to show how flawed the CPU AI is. It comes to a point that it's laughable and even offensive to the consumers. Shame on you Konami for producing a game that can offer such terrible experience.

The AI pressure and the fact that our player on the ball has to face 2 players in every part of the field are not the only HUGE problem. When the CPU AI is on those days with ridiculous defence AI, in wich every player is surronded by two men who follow perfectly every movement on the ball, MAKE THIS TEST to watch carefully what's really going on: just try to pass the ball around your defenders when the back line is on the haf line of the field, don't move forward and keep your eyes on just ONE of the Cpu attacking player.... guys, you will see that ONE attacking player of CPU Ai is almot ENOUGH to mark your whole defence because he can "follow" the ball's path, passing from feet to feet, from the left side of the pitch to the other side without ANY fatigue. He starts to mark, let's say, RB and if you pass the ball around till it comes to your LB or LM, he (THE SAME PLAYER) ends up marking your players on the other side of the pitch without any problem, and if you continue to pass the ball around this time from LB to RB or RM, he (the same player) will be able to mark your players again from the right side of yout defence, and it's a a cicle that happens to every cpu player in every part of the field.

This happens with ALL cpu players, every cpu player is a machine to mark, it is ridiculously artificial. And the provision that Ai attacking players have to help the team defensively on this game is also too artificial, that doesn't exist irl. Actually every CPU player player is lika machines, a robots. Make this test, you can choose any cpu player you want, keep your eyes on him and see how he can keep sprinting from one to another player (your players on the ball) the whole field, one player alone is always helping the defence to mark at least 3 of your players. Atthe time you made a lateral pass, no matter how distant is your player to reciever one, the cpu player that was marking the one who passed the ball can always sprint to mark the other player who recieved the bal, it's a tiring cycle and totaly unfair.

I don't if I made that clear, pardon for my english, but i'm really disgusted how cpu defend on this game and I don't how I can express the ridiculous things I see on this game, completely flawed.

Last edited:
When the AI is on cheating mode, this game is easily one of the worst if not the worst football game ever.

In PES 2012 there's no AI. We should take the "I" off of it. Intelligence ? That doesn't exist. Artifical ? Absolutely, absolutely the most artificial I've seen on a game. It's artificial in the sense that CPU players are not human at all, they are machines in every aspect, wich also destroys any sense of individuality, but it's articficial specially physically speaking

I wish I could record a video to show how flawed the CPU AI is. It comes to a point that it's laughable and even offensice to the consumers. Shame on you Konami for producing a game that can offer such terrible experience.

The AI pressure and the fact that our player on the ball has to face 2 players in every part of the field are not the only HUGE problem. When the CPU AI is on those days with ridiculous defence AI, in wich every player is surronded by two men who follow perfectly every movementon the ball, MAKE THIS TEST to watch carefully what's really going on: just try to pass the ball around your defenders when the back line is on the haf line of the field, don't move forward and keep your eyes on just ONE of the Cpu attacking player.... guys, you will see that ONE attacking player of CPU Ai is almot ENOUGH to mark your whole defence because he can "follow" the ball's path, passing from feet to feet, from the left side of the pitch to the other side without ANY fatigue. He starts to mark, let's say, RB and if you pass the ball around till it comes to your LB or LM, he (THE SAME PLAYER) ends up marking your players on the other side of the pitch without any problem, and if you continue to pass the ball around this time from LB to RB or RM, he (the same player) will be able to mark your players again from the right side of yout defence, and it's a a cicle that happens to every cpu player in every part of the field.

This happens with ALL cpu players, every cpu player is a machine to mark, it is ridiculously artificial. And the provision that Ai attacking players have to help the team defensively on this game is also too artificial, that doesn't exist irl. Actually every CPU player player is lika machines, a robots. Make this test, you can choose any cpu player you want, keep your eyes on him and see how he can keep sprinting from one to another player (your players on the ball) the whole field, one player alone is always helping the defence to mark at least 3 of your players. Atthe time you made a lateral pass, no matter how distant is your player to reciever one, the cpu player that was marking the one who passed the ball can always sprint to mark the other player who recieved the bal, it's a tiring cycle and totaly unfair.

I don't if I made that clear, pardon for my english, but i'm really disgusted how cpu defend on this game and I don't how I can express the ridiculous things I see on this game, completely flawed.

I agree with some of this, on the one hand I can't stop playing ML because I get sucked into the whole 'build your team up' thing, but also I play a lot because when you have the ball, there are so many possibilities and types of goal to score. The game does fall down with the AI however.

For example, in my ML the game seems to now vary between three types of game. The first, the CPU seems stand-off-ish, it sits back and seems slow to react, and I invariably win these comfortably. The second type, the AI seems to sprint around like crazy, passing the ball at intense speed, closing down, reacting to situations way earlier than my players do. These are hit-and-miss, sometimes I grind out a result, sometimes not, but then there are those small number of games where the AI hammers the shit out of you, scoring every effort, spamming long raking through-balls down the middle or out to the wing, and it ain't always relevant to the best teams.

I played an average mid-table side, and within 25 minutes they were 3-0 up, their striker was ridiculously good. He latched onto every through pass with incredible pace and strength, finished all three goals clinically, dominated in the air etc. I was so impressed I sought this guy out in the advanced search function, only to find his stats were awful, he was rated at something like 65, with pace, strength etc all in the low 60's. Yet despite this, playing against 80-rated CB's all high in strength and on good form arrows, he battered the shit out of them like he was Captain America or something.

And people say there is no stat boosting!

I agree with some of this, on the one hand I can't stop playing ML because I get sucked into the whole 'build your team up' thing, but also I play a lot because when you have the ball, there are so many possibilities and types of goal to score. The game does fall down with the AI however.

For example, in my ML the game seems to now vary between three types of game. The first, the CPU seems stand-off-ish, it sits back and seems slow to react, and I invariably win these comfortably. The second type, the AI seems to sprint around like crazy, passing the ball at intense speed, closing down, reacting to situations way earlier than my players do. These are hit-and-miss, sometimes I grind out a result, sometimes not, but then there are those small number of games where the AI hammers the shit out of you, scoring every effort, spamming long raking through-balls down the middle or out to the wing, and it ain't always relevant to the best teams.

I played an average mid-table side, and within 25 minutes they were 3-0 up, their striker was ridiculously good. He latched onto every through pass with incredible pace and strength, finished all three goals clinically, dominated in the air etc. I was so impressed I sought this guy out in the advanced search function, only to find his stats were awful, he was rated at something like 65, with pace, strength etc all in the low 60's. Yet despite this, playing against 80-rated CB's all high in strength and on good form arrows, he battered the shit out of them like he was Captain America or something.

And people say there is no stat boosting!

When I know the CPU is on God-mode, I just experience one type of game: the CPU plays all out defence but yet cpu players are able to pressure your players on the ball on a level that you can't even take two steps with the ball because there will always be one player jocking(don't know if i spelt it right) and follow your moves perfectly and another player pressuring on your back, and this happens in every part of the pitch. That's not the case in reallife... you can not reconcile the two types of the defending at the same time. A team wich is set to play defensive with a deep defence line can not pressure the man on the ball like this, the team defends closing gaps moving sideways..

And then, when they get the ball back, 90% of times they make long pass on the wings or they go down the middle and make "ping-pong" passing around your defenders with teammates movement with the quality of Barcelona, and in the final third when they attack in the middle there's always a player who makes a 180 first time pass and leads the CF to an open goal, your defender usualy turn his back to the ball and he can't cut it off no matter how close the ball pass through him. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that there's always one of cpu attacking player that moves with the ball stuck on his feet dribble past your defenders as good as Messi irl if not better.

Last night I caught a blatant script...: a cpu defender clear the ball on the opposite direction (it woud be a corner for me) right in front of his teammate, the ball hits on his teammate and without any sense of physics logic it goes right to another cpu player's feet that was ouside of the box, wich gives the CPU a chance to counter attack. :CONFUSE:

Those ball rebounds on CPU's box always seem to goes to another cpu player who can quickly counter attack you.:RANT:

Last edited:
Is it just me or has the latest patch made it ridiculously easy to score from crosses?

Often the player animation glitches at the point of 'contact', as if the goal has been pre-determined. Sometimes the player is not in a viable position and the animation glitch is very noticeable (and quite un-natural looking).

PC and PS3 versions the same.

Wow I had one of those teeth-gnashing moments again, probably the most stunning bit of PES ineptitude all round since I've played the game.

I was at 1-1 going into the 94th minute of a vital ML match, and I win a last gasp penalty. I step up, drill a hard, low shot into the bottom corner only to see the keeper pull of a world class penalty save. It rebounds wide of the goal and their full back runs in and smashes the ball 70 yards down the pitch. As the ball sails then drops down from the sky, the screen scolls left to right and I suddenly realise that the game has made my defenders go totally awol. They're literally standing 20-30 yards away from their lone striker who was standing on the halfway line. Anyway the ball lands halfway in my half, and he's through on goal, chips my keeper, and they win 2-1 with the last kick of the game literally 5 seconds or so after I've just missed a penalty to win the game.

You couldn't make it up sometimes, you really couldn't.

Everything u describe there, i suffered, and probably everyone who tried to play the game in the harder settings. This game made me broke three 360 controllers in two weeks, in its heyday. It made me go awol how cynical, inhuman,disrespectful the AI was/is in this game! Pes 11 had several problems, but i felt drawn to it´s tactical possibilities, and bagged 700+ games in the MLO. This crazy pes 12 took only 20 games from me in the MLO, and two Master Leagues offline with different update versions. It´s just to blatantly cheaty and things like ball physics, and the crazy 3 robocop pressure just make me wanna shit on some Konami head.

Wow I had one of those teeth-gnashing moments again, probably the most stunning bit of PES ineptitude all round since I've played the game.

I was at 1-1 going into the 94th minute of a vital ML match, and I win a last gasp penalty. I step up, drill a hard, low shot into the bottom corner only to see the keeper pull of a world class penalty save. It rebounds wide of the goal and their full back runs in and smashes the ball 70 yards down the pitch. As the ball sails then drops down from the sky, the screen scolls left to right and I suddenly realise that the game has made my defenders go totally awol. They're literally standing 20-30 yards away from their lone striker who was standing on the halfway line. Anyway the ball lands halfway in my half, and he's through on goal, chips my keeper, and they win 2-1 with the last kick of the game literally 5 seconds or so after I've just missed a penalty to win the game.

:LMAO:

:APPLAUD:

LOL it was the most annoying thing I've ever seen in a video game. If only my two CB's weren't holding hands on the touchline!

Back
Top Bottom