PC Gaming

I tried briefly with Ubisoft+ today and Brazil is £8 a month instead of £15.

However, if I remember from past experiences Ubisoft are region locked so you can't download games in English.

The RTX 4090 24GB will be available on October 12th and costs $1599/£1679, while the RTX 4080 16GB arrives in November and costs $1199/£1269. There's also an RTX 4080 12GB model that costs $899/£949. The 4090 and 4080 are reportedly two to four times faster than their Ampere equivalents, which are the 3090 Ti and the 3080 Ti, respectively.

The pricing is considerably more than I thought it would be.
I was expecting £1500 for 4090 and £800 for the 4080.

The RTX 4090 24GB will be available on October 12th and costs $1599/£1679, while the RTX 4080 16GB arrives in November and costs $1199/£1269. There's also an RTX 4080 12GB model that costs $899/£949. The 4090 and 4080 are reportedly two to four times faster than their Ampere equivalents, which are the 3090 Ti and the 3080 Ti, respectively.

The pricing is considerably more than I thought it would be.
I was expecting £1500 for 4090 and £800 for the 4080.
The 16 GB Version is the Real 4080 and the 12 GB Version is the real 4070. Not only the Ram is the different. Its a complete other Chip.
nv.jpg
A 4080 now costs 1470€ (Germany). This is crazy. They almosted doubled the MSP for the 80 Series.

The above chart is a rumour..
I would be surprised if the two 4080 cards use a different chip.
I am going to wait for real world benchmarks before I purchase, unless I can get the 4090 FE on launch

Those prices are crazy. Is Nvidia just wanting to clear their 30xx stock and make them seem like a good value? I mean performance might be amazing but they priced out a lot of consumers.... thought that now that AMD is pushing them they would try to be more competitive price-wise. Hopefully AMD or series 4060-4070 are a bit more in the price range from 30xx gen

Those prices are crazy. Is Nvidia just wanting to clear their 30xx stock and make them seem like a good value? I mean performance might be amazing but they priced out a lot of consumers.... thought that now that AMD is pushing them they would try to be more competitive price-wise. Hopefully AMD or series 4060-4070 are a bit more in the price range from 30xx gen

The prices are crazy, not so much for the 4090, but the 4080 is ridiculous.
They are charging 3080 Ti prices for the 4080.

Real world benchmarks are needed rather than Nvidia's fake charts which just show the performance in DLSS mode - Which is DLSS v2 vs v3, which is more than likely improving performance.
When the real benchmarks are released, I would be surprised if the 4080 12GB is going to compete with the 3090Ti.

It seems that the prices are going to put off a massive amount of people and will most likely mean 2nd hand prices of the 3000 series won't be affected too much, as a 3090 for £800 is going to be better than £900 for a 12GB 3080.

CardPriceLaunch Date
GTX 280$649.006/17/2008
GTX 480$499.003/26/2010
GTX 580$499.0011/09/2010
GTX 680$500.003/22/2012
GTX 780$649.005/23/2013
GTX 980$549.009/18/2014
GTX 1080$599.005/27/2016
RTX 2080$699.009/20/2018
RTX 3080$699.009/17/2020
RTX 4080$1199.00?/11/2022

Some slight information if this is to be believed.

If the recent leaked TimeSpy extreme scores are to be believed.
The 4080-12GB scores 11000 which is the same as an overclocked 3090 or a stock 3090ti.
The 4080-16GB scores 15000.
4090 scores 20000.

So if you own a 3090 then the only plausible upgrade is a 4080 16gb or 4090, the only other benefit with the new cards is DLSS 3.0.

I still can't really justify Nvidia choice to make the cards so expensive this time round, except your getting performance what was £1700 last week for £949 in November.

The cards this time just all seem so expensive and the only card that actually seems variable to buy at the moment is the 4090.

The naming convention is also weird, but I can only assume Nvidia decided last minute to change the 4070 to the 4080-12GB because the performance was better than expected.

I still can't really justify Nvidia choice to make the cards so expensive this time round, except your getting performance what was £1700 last week for £949 in November.

The cards this time just all seem so expensive and the only card that actually seems variable to buy at the moment is the 4090.

The naming convention is also weird, but I can only assume Nvidia decided last minute to change the 4070 to the 4080-12GB because the performance was better than expected.

A way to prevent scalpers? Scalp yourself already so there is no margins left.

@bsmaff any thoughts on the new raptor lakes? pricing and marketing benchmarks are too early to tell?

the new gpu of intel? obviously not for enthusiast but a mid tier card?

@bsmaff any thoughts on the new raptor lakes? pricing and marketing benchmarks are too early to tell?

the new gpu of intel? obviously not for enthusiast but a mid tier card?

The processors were announced yesterday and seem to have impressive clock speeds and with Intel claiming decent boosts over the current 12th Gen CPU's.
This is information from Intel and without proper benchmarks it is difficult.
The small print on the Intel slides is very dodgy and isn't a fair comparison.

However the leaked benchmarks are putting the 13900K above the 7950X from AMD, which at the moment is one hell of a CPU and comfortably beating the 12900K.

The good news for me, is the new processor uses the same motherboard as the previous generation which is good.
The main criticism of the new AMD CPU, is it is not cheap with having to buy a whole new motherboard, ram and CPU.

I have not looked at the new Intel GFX cards, they keep getting delayed and driver issues in their previous cards means I have not looked the information.
I was going to buy a 4090 on launch, but given the £ is really shite now, means this is not looking viable - Overclockers were stating there was several AIB that would be similarly priced to the FE, but given the past week most of these cards have now increased over £100.
With some of the higher end ones going from £1899 to £2249, just in a week because the £ is so shit.
I will never be able to get a FE board, too many people will be after it and scalpers always win in hot product launches.

So will now be waiting for the AMD cards to be released and hopefully they will be able to provide much better value.. £2000 for a GFX card is just an absolute no from me - And never thought I would pay more than £1000.

The processors were announced yesterday and seem to have impressive clock speeds and with Intel claiming decent boosts over the current 12th Gen CPU's.
This is information from Intel and without proper benchmarks it is difficult.
The small print on the Intel slides is very dodgy and isn't a fair comparison.

However the leaked benchmarks are putting the 13900K above the 7950X from AMD, which at the moment is one hell of a CPU and comfortably beating the 12900K.

The good news for me, is the new processor uses the same motherboard as the previous generation which is good.
The main criticism of the new AMD CPU, is it is not cheap with having to buy a whole new motherboard, ram and CPU.

I have not looked at the new Intel GFX cards, they keep getting delayed and driver issues in their previous cards means I have not looked the information.
I was going to buy a 4090 on launch, but given the £ is really shite now, means this is not looking viable - Overclockers were stating there was several AIB that would be similarly priced to the FE, but given the past week most of these cards have now increased over £100.
With some of the higher end ones going from £1899 to £2249, just in a week because the £ is so shit.
I will never be able to get a FE board, too many people will be after it and scalpers always win in hot product launches.

So will now be waiting for the AMD cards to be released and hopefully they will be able to provide much better value.. £2000 for a GFX card is just an absolute no from me - And never thought I would pay more than £1000.
Ah… my question already answered.

So there is no easy way to get a noticeable upgrade without me investing in a new mainbord (PSU probably too) for a new AMD CPU!?

5700G on B450 here.

An upgrade from my 6800XT ain’t cheap either. Hm… guess I have to be happy with what I have. And I am! 😊

But you know… looking ain’t forbidden… 😂

No AMD is completely new this year.
DDR5 and new motherboard socket.
So all new kit required.

I will now most likely keep my 3080, as would of been nice to upgrade, but the consoles aren’t going to get anymore powerful so 3080 will be fine for a good few years.
Unless the AMD cards offer really good value for money, then I may switch to Team Red.

I was looking forward to a new CPU and GFX card this autumn but looks like my current system will have to do for another couple of years.

No AMD is completely new this year.
DDR5 and new motherboard socket.
So all new kit required.

I will now most likely keep my 3080, as would of been nice to upgrade, but the consoles aren’t going to get anymore powerful so 3080 will be fine for a good few years.
Unless the AMD cards offer really good value for money, then I may switch to Team Red.

I was looking forward to a new CPU and GFX card this autumn but looks like my current system will have to do for another couple of years.
Maybe I could get a cheap 7 or 9 cpu from AMD then, maybe even a used one, to max out my B450 capabilities.
Or the special 3d CPU from AMD with that huge cache. I just need my system for ACC mainly, some other racing sims and MSFS, bit of Q2 VR.

What would be a good cpu to look out for?

yeah, GFX wise I’ll prob stay like currently.

Last edited:
The best CPU for gaming is the 5800X 3D.
It is the best budget and is the best processor for gaming for the previous generation.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-RyzenT...cphy=9046017&hvtargid=pla-1653770565516&psc=1

As for GFX cards, games won't see a massive graphical improvement now till probably the next consoles.
So, with PC's it is all about chasing more FPS.
And it’s only 290 now. My 5700g goes for 250. I might do the switch. Maybe roughly a 100 Euro investment.

Sorry for the confusion. But the cpu is really nice indeed.
It scores incredibly high in benchmarks and is considered the best gaming CPU for the last generation of processors. (Classing the 7000 series and 13000 series as the new current gen)

You would see an uplift in gaming performance and reviewers absolutely love the CPU for gaming performance.

Thought I would give everyone a warning.

Do not upgrade to Windows 11 22H2.

The performance is a shamble in games, even worse in some games with an Nvidia card in particular.

So the frame rate in certain games is so bad.
So FIFA 23 plays terribly.
Plagues Tale - Just started playing this - The game drops to 8FPS no matter what resolution for a couple of seconds before then jumping back up to normal.

But these frame rate stutters have been experienced in pretty much every game I have played.
The fix which was posted by Nvidia, didn’t work for me and still experiencing the same issues.

Ideally need to test more games, but so far for me 22H2 is just absolutely awful.

Do not upgrade to Windows 11 22H2.
Seconded. Upgraded from a 3900x to 5800x3D a few days ago, main reason being Flight Sim VR and the fact that I wasn't overly happy with AMD's AM5 presentation when there's still so much bang for the buck to be had on AM4 for the foreseeable future. Anyway, installed the CPU, everything went fine as usual, Cinebench results looking good, put on my Reverb G2, booted up MSFS and everything was a hot fucking mess. I felt like crying. Worst panning stutter I've ever experienced plus unplayable framerates. Surely I had to have messed up/forgot something somewhere. Did the usual things, re-installed my chipset drivers, plugged the Reverb into a different USB slot, re-installed the Nvidia drivers for my 3080. No dice. I was SO close to throwing my 3900x back in again. It was only then when I did some browsing over on the official MSFS forums, a thing I usually don't do because people are idiots. I know my rig, I know the ins and outs, no thanks, I don't want snake-oil software like Process Lasso on my system, have a nice day bye.

Color me surprised when I spotted this thread being on top of the VR sub

hwz9ScV.png

So, yeah, 22H2 screwed me big time as well. I didn't know sooner because I didn't play MSFS since upgrading to 22H2 last week. Rolling back to 21H2 fixed things completely and I've been over the moon since. Not gonna touch 22H2 again until whatever the fuck's going on with that is fixed one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom