Nintendo Switch

Today my son asked me what's the name of the character below. I realized that despite I am playing Super Mario games the last 24 years, I never wondered what his name was!!!

After a deep search, took me longer than I expected, I found his name is "Goomba".

Goomba.PNG
i have one of those at home as a stuffed toy! good old Goomba! :LOVE:
will take a picture for you later this week!

Last edited:
Nintendo is shuffering heavy criticism for poor implementation of the N64 expansion on Switch, most games are badly emulated.

But my boy Mario Kart 64 is still shinning, even in that disaster!! This game should be by now, an all-time-classic. Really decent and playable , even today!

https://www.imore.com/mario-kart-64-still-shines-2021-nintendos-legacy-content-needs-work

The performance looks too close to N64 OG console! Although , i can't deny, it had to do better than this!

I had bigger expectations, and the questionable launch, left me still wondering, if i will go for the expansion.

Just poor emulators, the games run perfectly on an Nvidia Shield.
When the Mini Console Classics were released i was straight against it, i don't give ~100 bucks for a bundle with limited games (although it can be jailbroken), when i can play the whole catalog in my PC. Of course if anyone is a collector, then it is a different case, but just for the playing purpose, i would prefer Emulators.

But on this, having the classic/remastered/old games as a digital "bonus" besides with an online subscription, that someone would pay either way to play online, i saw a lot potential, you can combine "legit" with potential.

If they do better job with the emulation and find a way with the old licenses, in order to offer more games per month, cause now in SNES online, it it about +3 games per 2 months, if the polish and improve the product, then it is a good solution, still inferior than PC emulator.

Finally "legit" is still a big word, how legal or illegal is to download a ROM of a game, which you paid back in the 90's to buy the physical copy, that is n't officially distributed in our days. Big debate here...

When the Mini Console Classics were released i was straight against it, i don't give ~100 bucks for a bundle with limited games (although it can be jailbroken), when i can play the whole catalog in my PC. Of course if anyone is a collector, then it is a different case, but just for the playing purpose, i would prefer Emulators.

But on this, having the classic/remastered/old games as a digital "bonus" besides with an online subscription, that someone would pay either way to play online, i saw a lot potential, you can combine "legit" with potential.

If they do better job with the emulation and find a way with the old licenses, in order to offer more games per month, cause now in SNES online, it it about +3 games per 2 months, if the polish and improve the product, then it is a good solution, still inferior than PC emulator.

Finally "legit" is still a big word, how legal or illegal is to download a ROM of a game, which you paid back in the 90's to buy the physical copy, that is n't officially distributed in our days. Big debate here...
All ROMS are illegal unless you own the actual game...
It doesn't matter if you bought it in the 90's, if you don't still own the game *now* from a legal stand point it is illegal to own the ROM.

All ROMS are illegal unless you own the actual game...
It doesn't matter if you bought it in the 90's, if you don't still own the game *now* from a legal stand point it is illegal to own the ROM.
Yeh i know the "practical" part. I mean it in a more theoritical/philosophical meaning! :)

Yeh i know the "practical" part. I mean it in a more theoritical/philosophical meaning! :)

I know what you mean, you physically can't buy the games anymore, so you should be able to download the ROMs.
+ The fact they are so freely available, kind of means that old developers and companies don't seem to care that much about emulation.

It is only really Sony who have ever kicked off an absolute massive stink about emulation, when Bleem came out if you remember Bleem.
But Bleem was at the time an incredible emulator which allowed you to play PS1 games on a PC, but the one that pissed off Sony is that it allowed you to play PS1 games on a Dreamcast.

I know what you mean, you physically can't buy the games anymore, so you should be able to download the ROMs.
+ The fact they are so freely available, kind of means that old developers and companies don't seem to care that much about emulation.

It is only really Sony who have ever kicked off an absolute massive stink about emulation, when Bleem came out if you remember Bleem.
But Bleem was at the time an incredible emulator which allowed you to play PS1 games on a PC, but the one that pissed off Sony is that it allowed you to play PS1 games on a Dreamcast.
Yes i remember, it tortured me a lot 20 years ago to run PSX games properly, and a lot empty CD that rendered useless after burning (not directly BLEEM!'s fault this last one).

Me by coinsidence, very recently just 2 days ago , i have re-read the story of Bleem.

In short words, SONY lost some lawsuits in some courts against them and another company for same reason.

But finally the Bleem! team could not afford the legal expenses and they withdrew from the rest cases. In the aftermath 2 people of the Bleem! company were latter employed by SONY, the one was appointed in SONY Entertainment and was responisble to research the Emulation possibilities for PS IIRC..

As of 2005, two members of the team were working for Sony: Randy Linden was working for SCEA on porting titles and looking at the possibility of emulation of previous generation titles for the next PlayStation,[citation needed] and Sean Kauppinen was promoting EverQuest II and Star Wars Galaxies for Sony Online Entertainment.

Very interesting story, and very painful memories for me, of Bleem! back from that era. My Windows 1998 PC did not liked it to much! :)

Yes i remember, it tortured me a lot 20 years ago to run PSX games properly, and a lot empty CD that rendered useless after burning (not directly BLEEM!'s fault this last one).

Me by coinsidence, very recently just 2 days ago , i have re-read the story of Bleem.

In short words, SONY lost some lawsuits in some courts against them and another company for same reason.

But finally the Bleem! team could not afford the legal expenses and they withdrew from the rest cases. In the aftermath 2 people of the Bleem! company were latter employed by SONY, the one was appointed in SONY Entertainment and was responisble to research the Emulation possibilities for PS IIRC..

Very interesting story, and very painful memories for me, of Bleem! back from that era. My Windows 1998 PC did not liked it to much! :)

I never had Bleem for PC, as at the time of release I didn't have the money to build a gaming PC, but I did have it for my Dreamcast and it worked incredibly well for Gran Turismo.
But after the issues with Bleem, it meant not many people were prepared to emulate newer consoles - There are emulators out for PS3 but they don't do anything except load the odd game to the menu with broken sound, if your lucky.

Last edited:
Today my son asked me what's the name of the character below. I realized that despite I am playing Super Mario games the last 24 years, I never wondered what his name was!!!

After a deep search, took me longer than I expected, I found his name is "Goomba".

Goomba.PNG
I can't believe you didn't know what a Goomba is! xP

I remember Bleem, I mean, I never had it but I'd read about it on a magazine. It's a shame they were forced to discontinue; that piece had some pictures of a side-by-side comparison using Ridge Racer Type 4 and from what I saw, it didn't just emulate the games, it actually cleaned up the graphics making the textures look smoother, in a way the game looked even more impressive on the Dreamcast.

But anyway, back to the emulator apps on Switch: I'm a believer in quality over quantity, which is why I enjoyed the mini consoles in the market despite not owning one (except the PlayStation Classic, which could use bigger games for about half of their lineup), and which is also why I believe the Switch apps could still be better. In fact, I think Nintendo should either bring back Virtual Console or have a similar model, in which you just get the app and buy the games separately (this is how we do with our real consoles anyway, right? Except you'd just fork out $5 instead of $50 per game). Maybe that way people could get a better library with what they want to play, instead of having stuff sitting untouched in there; for example, with the exception of Wild Guns, I never touched any of the Natsume and Jaleco games they put on the SNES because they strike me as "ehh, I'd rather be playing Street Fighter/Mega Man/Castlevania instead" (I decided to give Doomsday Warrior a try, and it SUCKS).
Seriously, the Virtual Console library was so amazing across the board, it's hard to understand why so much of it is missing on the Switch. I understand some licensing details are harder to navigate (which honestly doesn't make me hopeful to see GoldenEye on the N64 app anytime soon), but not all games should present that much problem. Not to mention it would be nifty to have it all together instead of scattered about the console menu, which is the reason why I never bought any Arcade Archives game despite so many tempting offers; I feel like Hamster should've partnered up with Nintendo to make a Switch Arcade app and make their games compatible with it.

Also on the emulation itself, my only real problem is with the button layouts. I think they should arrange them according to the original placement instead of the buttons' labels, or at least let us reconfigure them. I know the younger players would be confused pressing B to press A, but for people like me who played the originals, it feels refreshing to pick up on the muscle memory I used to have with the N64. I don't see much problem mapping the C-buttons to the right stick, seeing as the latter is an evolution of the former, but here's where the layout question comes in again; for me, if A is B and B is Y, it should be natural at least to use A as C-down and X as C-left, because that's where they were in the original controller, but with A on A and B on B, the functions for X and Y can get a bit confusing. I have yet to try Ocarina of Time because of that. That aside, I don't have an eye for technical issues, but I feel Nintendo should take the opportunity to fix the slowdown issues on the emulations of their own consoles, especially the SNES.

Last edited:
@vialli82 what was your final decision on N3DSXL vs N2DSXL? (If any)...Did you get one?

I had a discussion with my wife today, and i recalled our discussion about N3DS vs N2DS, months ago.

Then i searched in Google and suddenly realised, that in my country's e-shops, it is now impossible to find a brand new/factory sealed N3DS and N2DS. It is mass extincted from everywhere, except for 2nd hand market sites.

I know that Nintendo has strict policy in older staff, and some time they withdraw orchestrated old products to push the new ones, but until recently, a good part of Greece living back 30 yeas in the past, than the rest of the World, was that you could always find some retail products "forgotten" in some shops.

Now it seems that all the stock of brand new N3DS is extinct.Youbvan buy only a used/second hand one.....At least in Greece.

From what i find, here (Grece) the only brand new Nintendo product you can buy, is Nintendo Switch OLED. At least via the internet e-shops.

I got the same problem @slamsoze : impossible to found a 3DS (in fact i never searched for a 2DS) even on modding website. I searched about the most recent model XL as the 3D is better on it etc. then i searched too for a basic first 3DS by curiosity, not even to buy.
I given up as it's like you said : massive extinction.

And the issue(s) is that at least for me, about portable, i need one with a new, well more replaced screen. Don't want one in discount with plenty of scratch or the lighting and colors washed out.
Can tolerate it for a GBA but not a 3DS/2DS (even for PSP but i'm not interested as the purpose was to get tons of Nintendo's exclusive, and in 3DS)

Seems Nintendo has reached marketing and fanservice to very high levels. :)

Good that they resolved the lisencing or "lisencing" issues, in less than a year. Seems that when there is a huge demand, solutions can be made, without even great petitions or great actions needed.

Cause let's be honest, Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64, are the most notable games in N64, especially for those that came in Nintendo club in the N64 period. And they're considered by most, as masterpieces.

The N64 package and the bonus DLC with additional courses for Mario Kart 8, were the reasons i just renewed my subscription for the 40€ package.

As for me i was more curious to het hands on Starfox 64, the 2 Zeldas and some Starwars Squadron. Of course i couldn't resist to play some Mario Kart 64, this game is an all time classic, not outdated at all even now.

The only little issue i have till now, for many games you need the N64 controller for Switch accessory, due to N64 different button mapping. For a game like Mario Kart, the modern controller mapping works ok, even if you were most used to the Z button in the middle "shoulder" arm of the old controller.

But for Goldeneye or of ISS comes ever in Online, where you will need all 9 buttons, as they used to be in the classic controller , then some issues will come.

And i still haven't found , if you can reconfigure the button via settings, cause the default button mapping for Switch, is a little bit awkward for some games.

New Legend of Zelda game - Tears of the Kingdom

Price has increased by £10 over other Nintendo games, but is still available for £50 at ShopTo and a couple of other retailers.
So if you want it, might be best to pre-order before everyone increases their pricing.

Anyone with kids recommend good switch games? My daughter is starting to get into it and loves Mario 3D and Bowsers Fury. Shes getting the hang on the controllers but some levels are still hard so we coop and I carry her. Any games that are fun and easy for kids learning video games? Any other mario games available on switch (preferably playable princess peach) that are simple

Anyone with kids recommend good switch games? My daughter is starting to get into it and loves Mario 3D and Bowsers Fury. Shes getting the hang on the controllers but some levels are still hard so we coop and I carry her. Any games that are fun and easy for kids learning video games? Any other mario games available on switch (preferably playable princess peach) that are simple

My daughter loves the Mario Party games more than anything else.
We also bought all the Mario games, which she loved the Bowser's Fury one, which I think is with the cats, but not the other one so much which I think is Mario Bros U.

Wii Sports is also another good one for kids and family to get involved in.

But can't recommend the Mario Party games enough, every one in our family loves them.

Next to the games mentioned I recommend Kirby and the Forgotten Land. Cute game, easy to control, my daughter loves it. Check the Nintendo store, there should be a demo.
And Animal Crossing. No stress, craft a little bit, decorate things, stuff like that. Kids seem to love it.

Next to the games mentioned I recommend Kirby and the Forgotten Land. Cute game, easy to control, my daughter loves it. Check the Nintendo store, there should be a demo.
And Animal Crossing. No stress, craft a little bit, decorate things, stuff like that. Kids seem to love it.

Gonna try the above ones. Thank you. She really likes to watch people on YouTube playing mario party. She can watch that for hours.
She likes Kirby and might give it a try as at that age a big selling point is the fact kirby is pink.
Gotta start training her so in a few years we can co-op a souls like

Edit: is Zelda BotW worth it? Im a bit burned out by open world games. But if its the greatest game according to reviews is it overrated? Or well worth it.

Last edited:
Zelda BotW worth it? Im a bit burned out by open world games. But if its the greatest game according to reviews is it overrated? Or well worth it.
I got burned out after a while.
It has certain charm. Stamina when climbing is awesome. Creates a natural barriers that you can only cross when you develop your character.
Puzzles are fun, but samey.
Physics in game are deadly. There are many ways to defeat your enemies.
Overal - I had a strange feeling that I played it many years ago, while being very impressed with certain mechanics.
But there are also very frustrating elements there, like easily breakable weapons. You have to carry whole arsenal, coz after few hits your weapon breaks. You end up saving any good weapon you find and use basic ones, coz you are afraid it will break. And then you eventually use it and it breaks. :LOL:
Personally, at this stage - paying full price for it is silly. Nintendo never seems to have any deals on it.

Ps. Kirby Forgotten Land is also very good.
We loved co-op on it. Daughter was playing as Kirby and I was just some little weird ninja creature, with a stick. I couldnt do much, besides bashing everyone around, so she felt great being the one who has to trigger some important bits.

If I am being honest as well..
Roblox is the best thing ever for kids, my daughter won't get off it and the amount of games available on it is insane.

I can see why boys don't play it as much, but girls especially absolutely love it.

Back
Top Bottom