Next Gen Consoles

i thought nobody would do worse than the WiiU...but MS seems on its way to do much worse..shitty name (infinity was top notch), a design that reminds me of my old VCR (360 had a cool design) and a focus on all things i truly dislike about tv (which i hardly watch) and social shite.

microsoft is clearly going for a "box" full of crap. I just wanna play videogames. Also lack of gameplay or trailers= they are pretty behind schedule.

My thoughts exactly. Can be arsed with having deal with and rummage through all that other fodder.

Dear lord, that reveal was utter shite! CGI scenes and watching TV through your console??

I'm a gamer Microsoft, not going to buy your square box just to watch TV!

And even the CGI stuff looked outdated imo...

Although unnecessary, I thought turning the device on with voice recognition was pretty cool. The design does remind me of a satellite TV receiver.

Pretty awful. Design looks like an Asda Value DVR box, all CGI footage of "games", whereas it seems to me that games are an afterthought to Microsoft now and they're mainly focusing on the US and their TV.

Exactly my feelings.

If this was a set top box reveal, I'd be impressed. But it's a "gaming" console, so I'm not.

Now I hope Sony don't disappoint me :(

The new XBOX ONE people!

78366891.jpg

Where's my coat...

Haha

Well they still have E3 to impress us. I know theyll still go on and on and on about all the entertainment shit at E3 but you get that with Sony too when they drone on about psp and past console sales figures... Or Nintendo dancing around waving their arms while the game plays hardly mimicking what they're doing.

What exactly was effective about it? Sincere question. As I'm not impressed in the slightest.

I'm not saying I'm impressed. But until E3, Microsoft's presentation will continue to make people talk and be interested about it since no games were shown. Minds could be blown. Or not.

It's amusing that the Wii U is the next-gen console with the largest focus on actually playing video games.

We'll see what E3 has to offer but I'm not impressed so far, their focus is all wrong and they still don't get the message that America doesn't = the world.

I love the NFL and NBA but the broadcast rights outside of the US are very different and I'd be very surprised if any of that stuff was available to the rest of the world.

The MS employees at the back of the room reminded me of that annoying woman at Highbury.

Trending = who gives a fuck.
TV stuff = who gives a fuck.
Games shown so far = 10 year old pre-rendered shit.

Very underwhelming.

Nailed it.

I have twitter for trending if i want to look at that, i have netflix/sky for anything tv, look's like i may aswell stick with pc as it give's me all that and more than what xbox one does. Only thing which i was even remotely interested in was the joypad which looked pretty good.

Sony definitely has the lead going into E3, then. Better specs, better modus operandi, better controller, better games... console can't look any worse too.

We'll see what E3 has to offer but I'm not impressed so far, their focus is all wrong and they still don't get the message that America doesn't = the world.

I love the NFL and NBA but the broadcast rights outside of the US are very different and I'd be very surprised if any of that stuff was available to the rest of the world.

The MS employees at the back of the room reminded me of that annoying woman at Highbury.

we might get sky in the UK and Ireland doing the same tv deal with the premier league, you can already watch sky sports on the 360

Wow.

Speaking on Skype. Who am I going to do this with? My family or friends, the vast majority of whom aren't gamers and who won't be buying an Xbox One? Brilliant.

Watching TV. I already have Tivo via the internet package I use, and I also get ESPN with it.

Kinect. I don't want to sit down and spend my time blabbering on at the TV screen. I don't give a shit about talking to my Xbox.

Online. I don't want to have it switched on permanently just to say 'xbox, start' or whatever. I'd rather save on electricity bills.

It also seems that there are news stories coming out now confirming the mandatory install thing and that you'll have to pay a fee to use a disc at someone else's machine. That means no more second-hand games. I like second-hand games. It gets me interested in games that I'd never usually get into because of the prices.

The console looks horrible and is MASSIVE.

Lots of pre-rendered movies from games I don't care about. Wow, Call of Duty is a timed exclusive on Xbox? Brilliant. And MS having a new partnership with EA made me groan rather than be excited.

Trending. All that looks like is an advertising page for stuff that MS and affiliates will want you to buy.

Spielberg and Halo. Not interested.

I've been an avid 360 owner but PS4 it is for me!

we might get sky in the UK and Ireland doing the same tv deal with the premier league, you can already watch sky sports on the 360

Your right, I forgot about Sky.

What's it like on the 360, do you have access to everything in your Sky subscription?

Don't you have to pay extra just to watch sky through thee Xbox?

I noticed the trending stuff was more about "hey look what others are buying, now go buy it too" rather than "look at what your friends are doing, join them".

So, I really don't mind talk about TV on your console. I think that's inevitable, and given how much I use Netflix and the like on my PS3, it's actually quite important to me in some ways. Complaining that we shouldn't have such things because it's a games console is shoddy logic - I watched some of the conference and am posting a message on the Internet on my phone, and listening to a podcast through the headphones while I write.

But, this conference was so heavily weighted towards the US it's absurd. I have no idea what this is actually going to mean to me in the UK. I don't care about what's popular on TV, because most people have no fucking taste. I don't ever really watch live TV, and I don't know many people who do - everything is clearly moving more towards the online Netflix model, even DVRs are based on the idea of building your own TV/film collection, Netflix style. So how is the PS4 disadvantaged when it can just offer the same content online? Surely voice recognition is inevitable on PS4 too, given most smart TVs seem to be using something similar in their remotes. Steven Spielberg doing a Halo TV series? What does that matter in terms of making me buy an Xbox? I'll be able to watch that on my PS3, let alone 4.

I've not really seen anything of note about games in amongst all this, so I'm assuming E3 is what they're holding back for. This fee for second-hand is fist-bitingly bad news though - so we can't lend games to mates without coughing up? Really hope Sony don't do the same.

Seriously though... the console and pad look awful. Really, really bad. The buttons on the pad are revolting. I don't mind the console being stackable, and I love that it's intended to be near-quiet from day one, but that's offensively poor design on all fronts.

Your right, I forgot about Sky.

What's it like on the 360, do you have access to everything in your Sky subscription?

It's ok, picture you get is average, no hd though, and limited to certain amount channels.

But, this conference was so heavily weighted towards the US it's absurd. I have no idea what this is actually going to mean to me in the UK. I don't care about what's popular on TV, because most people have no fucking taste.

Shopto's news service are now claiming that MS have 'announced' (probably under their breath) after the event that the TV service isn't even going to be available at launch anywhere other than the US.

That takes the piss:

http://www.shopto.net/news/42851/No-LIVE-TV-outside-US-at-launch-for-Xbox-One/

Also, didn't MS have some kind of tag-line that said 'all in one device' or something like that? Well, Shopto are also claiming that MS are putting out info tonight saying that to watch the TV service, you'll have to purchase an additional TV receiver just to watch it.

So. Buy an Xbox One. Have no TV in the UK at launch. Then have to pay for an xbox live subscription (at what price, I'm dubious it won't be more than it is already), then purchase an additional device similar to an existing set-top box that I ALREADY HAVE, then pay subscription fees for TV, movie and music services on top of that.

All in one, my arse.

Last edited:
Don't you have to pay extra just to watch sky through thee Xbox?

I noticed the trending stuff was more about "hey look what others are buying, now go buy it too" rather than "look at what your friends are doing, join them".

No you don't.
You get a selection of the channels you subscribe too.
But none of the channels are in HD

Back
Top Bottom