NETHERLANDS thread

jihado86

Attacking Midfielder
10 July 2008
Tunisia
Real Madrid
I'll start by talking about the game against Denmark ..

first thing first, as I said in CL thread, Robben is a curse, not in a jynx-ish way, but, in football way, he's really finished, he's sterile .. Robben should be like he was in Chelsea and Real Madrid, a substitute ..
he can't change his style, all deffenders know his next move ..
so, he shouldn't be a starter, and as I said in the CL thread, Bayern MUST sell him, because he's a zero and all his teammates consider him as the star, they think he is CR or Messi ..

Yet, with a little more luck in the finishing department (which is one of his strong suits definitely) he decides both the CL-final as well as the match against Denmark - wonder what people would say about him then.
He is still a world class winger in my book, who played a rather good season, too, but was incredibly unlucky in the latter stages of it (missing important penalties and all can really mess with a players confidence.)

I am sure happy to have him at Bayern and know he'll be a game decider in the future again, as he has been countless times in the past.

Arjen Robben is a great player but he should play more for the team than for himself.Ever since he switched flanks and roam the right side now,he has become too predictable and repeatative.He would be better of coming from the left and whipping crosses to feed Van Persie or KJ Huntelaar.

Holland didnt turn up yesterday except for Sneijder and Van Bommel.
Weak point has got to be the defence.I have never rated Heitinga and never will.He is crap at CB but better off at RB.Two attacking minded fullbacks and an tested CB pairings at a major tournament? Sounds like their Archilles Heel to me.

Robben was poor, however Van Persie was absolute rank. Couldn't control the simplest of balls.

Think that's Holland out now anyway.

FD

The problem with Robben is that the words 'crossing a ball' aren't familair with him.

I wouldn't play him if i was coach. On the one hand he is world class, but he just keeps on making the same mistakes over and over again. Basically he is too individualistic.

One example in yesterday's match: when he he hits the post the Dutch are in a man more situation. Instead of doing the obvious thing: passing to one of his team mates (and Van Persie was asking for the ball) he went for his own glory and missed. Bad luck because he hit the post? Maybe. But it is a game of percentages and Robben just isn't intelligent enough to see that. I would search another winger and never play him. Despite his very obvious talent, he is not a player who delivers when it counts (CL final, WC final,...).

I'm probably not much of a coach, but i would play both Van Persie and Huntelaar upfront with Afellay as sort of right midfielder and with Vander Vaart instead of Robben in a 4-4-2. But you can make that in Holland, there is a law (Cruijff's law) that says one has to play 4-3-3.

Yup totally agree. I would really like to see Narsingh instead Robben. He is a very intelligent winger who can shoot, but also has a great cross and he actually uses it instead of cutting inside and trying to shoot every single time he gets the ball.

Tottenham midfielder Rafael van der Vaart — and no one can buy his silence.

Holland’s most-capped player, 29, said: “I have the right to speak out with 97 caps behind my name. If Holland want to win, the coach has to play me in the starting line-up.

“I am no longer prepared to deny I am finding this role really tough. Do you know how frustrated I feel?

“I am in the best form of my life and I train so hard but I get the impression the team selection is not going to change in my favour.

“Hardly any changes have been made to this team since the 2010 World Cup and that is great when you are in the starting line-up but it’s crap when you’re on the bench.

“I feel like a young dog that is dying to get out but is caged in.” When asked if he was waiting for an explosion to erupt within the camp, Van der Vaart added: “I hope for that every day.
Sneijder blasted: “It is time we let these pathetic egos go. If somebody is creating a mess, I will stand up against them now.
a bit hard to ignore the elephant in the room... the problem lies with RVP having a great season as a lone striker . RVP plays in the wings for NT and is usually a CF .

I can tell from this small part of info. We know VDV is starting small chatter wanting to explode the camp and blaming the relation btw coach/son-in-law is absurd .De Jong was the 1st to voice out the chatter and now , we know from where it sparked at I love the caged dog bit such a silly sod . He doesn`t even play for a big club to have such ego tbh.

I really miss past Dutch teams, full of talented players. Van Bommel and De Jong are a pain to watch, and Robben´s lack of teamwork diminishes the whole lot. Overated player that one.
It used to be one of my favourite teams alongside the long gone "Rendado" Português. I miss flair football, i miss nr 10´s...

Well this Dutch team is still very good, even with De Jong (he had one of the highest pass completion rates in the first round). Sneijder is the classic number 10 playmaker, one of the midfielders that are best suited to this number. That pass to Huntelaar with the outside of his foot, that's pure class!
Rvp definitely had an off day against Denmark, but I expect him to pick himself up.

Their problem is that dodgy defense of theirs and the most selfish player I've even seen in my life: Robben.
Even Beckenbauer declared openly how selfish Robben is.

I don't like this attitude of Van der Vaart either. It's kind of disrespectful and creates a bit of tension with the guys who are in the first team. I mean, he has the right to question that, being 29 and having 97 caps, but shouldn't talk about it openly to the press, not like that. He should take it to Maarwijk in the first place.
Well, the Dutch always have their internal problems, don't they?

But even so, I think I'd give a run to Van der Vaart replacing Robben, the selfish bastard.
He was unlucky hitting the post, but that was a great chance that was gifted by the Dane keeper - and instead of going by himself, a pass to RvP would do, as Van Persie had yet another option to pass, the Danes were outnumbered there.
Besides, for each shot to the post Robben has, another 8 or 9 go flying off to the stands.

wow! did van der vaart really say those things? i hope it was just a huge misquoting. otherwise i hope van maarwik will leave his sorry ass rotting on the bench for the entire tournament.
what a pathetic loser.

If he did say that, it wouldn't be the first time the egoic VdV says something controversial in his career.

He was hyped up as the world's next biggest player since he was captain of Ajax at 18 and although he turned out to be a very good player after all, he never became the world beater many expected him to and that's been eating at him inside for years.

Being captain of Ajax at 18 and hyped up so much, he became very spoiled since the very beginning. It wouldn't be the first time he tells us about how great he is and why he should be in the first team.

The quote is quite funny itself. "If Holland want to win, they MUST play me in the starting 11!" :D

Yes, because there is no OTHER Way Holland can win without VdV! :LOL:

Well, I do not even know what to say, I just do not know such "Oranges", in this tournament you do any, and about your defense in general of all nothing to say. Guys, although I do not support you on a this Euro, but I do not want to remember this the Netherlands, which will occupy the last place in the group with three defeats out of three. :ROLL:

I hope they play better in 2nd half.

In 1st half, it looks like 11 INDIVIDUALS running around and misplacing passes and miscommunicating all over the pitch. I want to see a Dutch TEAM! Not 11 individuals!

I hope they play better in 2nd half.

In 1st half, it looks like 11 INDIVIDUALS running around and misplacing passes and miscommunicating all over the pitch. I want to see a Dutch TEAM! Not 11 individuals!
I also hope, but judging by the fact that it is a repetition of the match against the Danes, then the probability that the Dutch will play as a team is extremely low, well, let's see. :((

I have to say I am disappointed with the Netherlands' team, I thought they'd be one of the favorites to win the whole competition, but after these two games there is only one tiny chance left to reach the next round and if they continue to play like today and last week I cannot see any reason for them to be victorious over Portugal, which are not my new favorite to finish the group as runner-up.

Especially the forwards of the team disappointed me, RVP made his goal, but was invisible the rest of the time, Robben acted egoistic again, Sneijder had nearly no influence, I wonder if Narsingh would have been a better option for them to start with.

So how does this all work? Can Holland get through with a win over Portugal and HOPE Germany beats Denmark?

Are they out?

I believe if Germany beat Denmark and Netherlands win with atleast 2 goals difference against Portugal Netherlands will be through...

Last edited:
na they aint out, and germany aint qualified either, weird init?
also why was robben a twat, thought he was just saving time running around the pitch instead of going across?

How does the rule exactly work then?

Head to head meetings? Goal difference? Goals scored?

Mathis or whatever his name is just as woeful as his partner hestiga. This is just toothless marking and huntelaar can not win any balls in the air ffs.

Also very disappointed in the Dutch team, it's not much, and not the team: No protection, in an attack is many individualists, the horror. I think that Robben, Sneijder and Van Persie do not let them all together, because they are stars that are constantly trying to outshine each other, as I thought. It is unfortunate that the euro has lost a team like Holland already, but I still hoped to see them in the quarterfinals, very sorry. Goodbye Holland! :( :BYE:

How does the rule exactly work then?

Head to head meetings? Goal difference? Goals scored?
Sina, The Netherlands retains the theoretical chance of move to the quatrefinals, but for this she needs to:

- Germany beat Denmark (preferably large).

- The Netherlands LARGE beat Portugal.

After that, considered additional indicators (1.Goal difference, 2.Goals scored), because Denmark, Holland and Portugal will has the 3 points. ;)

Mathijsen. He was never that great even in his peak let alone now that he's definitely a couple years past it and has had some serious injury problems recently.

Artem, thanks.

Apparently 2-0 win against Portugal combined with Germany beating Denmark which won't be easy is enough for Holland.

so the score has to be this at least

ned 2-0 por
ger 1-0 den

so the goal diff would be:

den -1
por -2
ned 0

in a nutshell denmark has to be beaten by germany and the netherlands has to beat portugal by 2 goals at least

the next scenario wouldnt be any good for the dutch because portugal scored 3 goals already

ger 1-0 den
ned 2-1 por

ger
---
den -1 2g
por -1 4g
ned -1 3g

Last edited:
Yep! It's amazing that The Dutch have lost 2 games now and can still qualify with just 1 win out of 3!

I think it's do-able.

again, I insist that Robben is 80% of Netherlands fail ..
his place should be given to Kuyt or VDV or even Narsingh ..
VDV seemed like more a CMF, not his usual Classic AMF or SS like with the Spurs .. I don't know if that was his fault or the coach's ..
Sneijer also turned to a LMF with AMF role .. he did great, and if from the beginning VDV played in the right wing (instead of Robben) doing what Sneijder does on the left + we know he has more skills in attack than Sneijder ..

last match against Portugal must be without that selfish loser Robben, or at least he MUST not play until minute 80 ..

Classic AMF or SS?

Van der Vaart has always been a playmaking central midfielder. The fact that Harry Redknaap started using him as a second forward is hardly 'classic' Vdv, but just the Vdv of last 2 years.

He CANT play on the sides so to put VdV on left or Right wing makes no sense in a 4-3-3 formation. He lacks pace and is very much a central player where he can shoot/pass well.

It's also clear that you have something very personal against Arjen Robben. Much of what has been said about him is true in the sense that he's

1. Individualist

2. Selfish

3. Predictable since he always tries to cut onto left foot and take a shot

BUT, in the whole world, after Messi and Ronaldo, there isn't another guy that can single handedly change a game as much as he can. His flair, dribbling and speed are very hard to defend against and he remains one of the best players of the world. He's just gone through bad form right now as van PErsie and many others have as well and you're using the Bayern failure in CL Final and these first 2 games to justify your hatred against him.

If van Marwijk played van der vaart as you suggest on right or left wing, the whole world would laugh at him.

Rather than that, I say play Rafael instead of van Bommel next to De Jong now that Holland MUST attack from first minute against Portugal and give Narsingh a chance in place of Afellay who has hardly done much. Sub Arjen Robben if he's not playing well for Afellay or Kuyt depending on what you need around 70 minute if necessary.

Also I would play van PErsie as wing forward so on right wing and Huntelaar as starting forward. People forget, he was top scorer of Qualifications and it was HIS goals rather than Robin's that brought Netherlands to Euro's. He should be center forward with van PErsie playing where he always did for Holland and prior to his recent Arsenal breakthrough. Robin's well capable of playing as 2nd forward/on the wing, something Hunter can't but should still play due to deadly season he just had and abilities.

Back
Top Bottom