Microsoft Xbox

Agree, I'd say just wait it out to see how reviews are and how games compare (don't get too concerned with tech specs until we see what those tech specs can do....) For me all of them look pretty good and there's something there for everyone (well besides launch titles, hence why I'll wait for a bit). On the other hand, having been with a PS1,PS2,PS3 and PS4, I'm considering jumping to the series S as I am not a hardcore gamer anymore ($299), my TV is 1080p and I have 3 years of Ultimate pass left. Just not sure I want a console anymore but its an easy way to play next gen games without updating my pc just yet
For me having 25-30 games on disc,probably ,as many digitally,knowing the value of game pass, also investing in new headset(s) external hard drive(s) switching over to ps5 would be financial suicide.

For me having 25-30 games on disc,probably ,as many digitally,knowing the value of game pass, also investing in new headset(s) external hard drive(s) switching over to ps5 would be financial suicide.

Another thing I thought about the digital editions... they might seem inexpensive, but usually you are at the mercy of MS store and PS store game prices. You can find a game there for 29.99, but then in ebay or second hand you can find them for 1/3 the price... those console savings could wash out the console price...

Another thing I thought about the digital editions... they might seem inexpensive, but usually you are at the mercy of MS store and PS store game prices. You can find a game there for 29.99, but then in ebay or second hand you can find them for 1/3 the price... those console savings could wash out the console price...
True!
Dont think im ready for a digital version only tbh, though i only buy digital.
I don't buy that many games atm,when I do they're in some crazy sale on Xbox store,if I buy that for 5-10€ more than chasing a copy on eBay I'm good!

Those videos are completely pointless, unless you been living under a rock for the past 10 years
It is absolutely obvious an SSD is going to load that much quicker
They're aimed at Xbox Series S people though, and if you're considering that console you're not a hardcore gamer. So I think this is the exact stuff that will impress you - convenience.

Whereas we're like "how many nits will my 8K TV need to take advantage of Dolby Vision"... :D

I am still unconvinced by the S.

Maybe it is just, I want my system to be next gen, and instead of getting an S, why don't you get a slightly more powerful One X?
The One X can be picked up pretty cheap these days and there are always offers available for the machine.

Maybe it is just, I want my system to be next gen, and instead of getting an S, why don't you get a slightly more powerful One X?
The One X can be picked up pretty cheap these days and there are always offers available for the machine.
I wouldn't dream of buying the S, but that's because I'm not the audience.

The other half wants one. She's got a 1080p TV, she thinks 4K TVs are for losers with no life (as do her friends, including other casual gamers). She just thinks that for £250, to play the latest games, and for them to load that much faster, it's a steal. Had the Switch been more expensive she would never have bought one.

10 years ago, that market didn't exist. There were gamers and non-gamers. Now you've got hardcore gamers, Fortnite gamers and non-gamers...

Yeah, I am not the market for a Xbox S.

I guess they are going for the non-casual crowd, who would be tempted to have a cheap console to play Fall Guys and similar.

Where I am the extreme opposite, I have an RTX 3080 to play Football Manager and SWOS.

Is the one X more powerful than the S? I really don't think so. The series S cpu has more power than the ps5. The gpu is underpowered, but I think think that mostly means no 4k. Besides that, I don't know what's less powerful.

Again. I would not focus so much on specs. Just wait till we can see difference in games

Would you recommend an rtx3080 for me with a 1080p tv? Same thing for the xsx

The series S is just silly. Will be outdated before long. Microsoft should have made a discless Series X at 399.00. that's the one most would have bought, I think.

Last edited:
I was going for the S..Because I don’t yet have a 4K and taking MS at face value.There saying the gains on the X series and the extra GPU ram will primarily be used by developers for hitting the 4K/8 benchmarks..So in theory your getting the same cpu but 6 gig less of gpu memory..It’s practically the same console but without a disc drive and a few premium features..The games in theory shouldnt be any less of a downgrade,only interms of pixel count(higher resolutions).In some cases the S series will have games that hit a higher framerate because it’s top end is 1440p..

I’ve opted for the X series though for the disc drive ..A must for not patching FIFA this year or Pes if I don’t like the patch changes and want to keep them both vanilla..Plus I don’t want to be shoe horned into having to buy everything digitally.I may this year finally buy a 4K tv..Now these systems will finally have the cpu and memory grunt to truly deliver a 4K experience.

The S series though is a mouth watering prospect pound for pound..And a great price point for that much silicon..

How next gen any of this will be is still up for debate..Yes we will see visual gains..But how far the cpu side will be pushed is still a big question mark.News that early first party releases on the ps5 will be on other formats and the PS4..Shows we may still be a few years off of seeing what these machines can do besides,better gfx and loading times..

Lovely upgrade though and and even on a standard tv..My Xbox one X has been a real treat for third party games..I’ve had the Sony pro for all there great first party stuff and the switch for everything Nintendo.

MS’s ecosystem and game pass though are great value both for me as hardcore gamer and my two kids..

Last edited:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/21/mic...wner-of-fallout-elder-scrolls-franchises.html

Microsoft buys the parent company of Bethesda

“With the addition of Bethesda, Microsoft will grow from 15 to 23 creative studio teams and will be adding Bethesda’s iconic franchises to Xbox Game Pass,” Microsoft said. “This includes Microsoft’s intent to bring Bethesda’s future games into Xbox Game Pass the same day they launch on Xbox or PC, like Starfield, the highly anticipated, new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios.

Seems like MS are trying to fight the "we've got no exclusives" problem hard, this year.

Remember when there were rumours that Microsoft was trying to pick up Konami titles like PES? I think that'd be the best thing that could happen.

Was just about to post that.
Massive news, the next Elder Scrolls to be exclusive to Microsoft.

They really need to work on getting exclusives, and this purchase is massive.

Was just about to post that.
Massive news, the next Elder Scrolls to be exclusive to Microsoft.

They really need to work on getting exclusives, and this purchase is massive.

I don't necessarily think all those games will be console exclusives, right? For example they own Minecraft, but its available on other platforms...
I guess they could make it exclusive, but those games sell massively on PS4 so I guess they could but it could hurt business.
On the positive note its another value added to GP subscribers who can expect to see those games on day 1 in their subscription

No confirmation of that, let's see.

Elder Scrolls could potentially be a massive console seller.
I personally feel there is no way the next Elder Scrolls is coming to PlayStation.

EDIT:-
I have now seen Microsoft have not decided yet what they will do, and will vary on a game by game basis.
Current exclusives to PS4 will remain exclusives for the PS.
Microsoft would not make a massive purchase like this if they did not plan to make Elder Scrolls an Xbox exclusive, or even Fallout.

I don't necessarily think all those games will be console exclusives, right? For example they own Minecraft, but its available on other platforms...
I guess they could make it exclusive, but those games sell massively on PS4 so I guess they could but it could hurt business.
On the positive note its another value added to GP subscribers who can expect to see those games on day 1 in their subscription

They will come to Game Pass, I reckon.
So Xbox consoles and PC.

However it appears that games like Dishonoured, which probably sell quite a few but not massively will remain on all systems.
No one is going to buy an Xbox for Dishonoured, but hundreds of thousands would for Elder Scrolls.

Last edited:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/21/mic...wner-of-fallout-elder-scrolls-franchises.html

Microsoft buys the parent company of Bethesda

“With the addition of Bethesda, Microsoft will grow from 15 to 23 creative studio teams and will be adding Bethesda’s iconic franchises to Xbox Game Pass,” Microsoft said. “This includes Microsoft’s intent to bring Bethesda’s future games into Xbox Game Pass the same day they launch on Xbox or PC, like Starfield, the highly anticipated, new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios.
Welcoming the Talented Teams and Beloved Game Franchises of Bethesda to Xbox
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/21/welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/

7.5 billion!? :CONFUSE: Just sick!

5d90aaca27809eee0cf62b3c41c4074a.jpg

Last edited:
I think Xbox’s (Microsoft’s) acquisition of Bethesda is shrewd. Phil Spencer has really turned the Xbox brand around since he’s been the boss there.

I think games like ES and Fallout will be timed exclusives on Xbox from now on but that’s just a wild guess.

I’m looking forward to hopefully pre ordering one of these (Series X) tomorrow. It’s got some real power plus Game Pass Ultimate is an incredible deal these days.

Exciting times for console owners. Better exclusives on the PS5, multiplats will look and run better on the Series X plus the awesome Game Pass still blows PS+ away (in my opinion of course).

I think Xbox’s (Microsoft’s) acquisition of Bethesda is shrewd. Phil Spencer has really turned the Xbox brand around since he’s been the boss there.

I think games like ES and Fallout will be timed exclusives on Xbox from now on but that’s just a wild guess.

I’m looking forward to hopefully pre ordering one of these (Series X) tomorrow. It’s got some real power plus Game Pass Ultimate is an incredible deal these days.

Exciting times for console owners. Better exclusives on the PS5, multiplats will look and run better on the Series X plus the awesome Game Pass still blows PS+ away (in my opinion of course).
Game pass is such a great idea and service,I've had it for over a year, great value!
Deffo getting the series X,though my Xbox X still got some juice left!

I've just realised that if I get either console (I'm getting an Xbox, hence why I'm posting it here), not only do I need a new sound system (because the new consoles have no optical ports on them), I need new speakers too (because my 10+ year old sound system has the speakers hard-wired into the back of the subwoofer, which is hard-wired into a control unit).

The TV has an optical out, but doesn't have Dolby pass-through. So the best I could do is stereo sound, and not get any use out of my 5.1 kit.

Cheapest Dolby Atmos speaker set is £799, cheapest AV receiver that can cope with Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision and everything else is about the same.

£2,000 - for a games console. That's without even updating the telly to a 120hz one.

Maybe the PS4 Pro isn't that loud after all...

I've just realised that if I get either console (I'm getting an Xbox, hence why I'm posting it here), not only do I need a new sound system (because the new consoles have no optical ports on them), I need new speakers too (because my 10+ year old sound system has the speakers hard-wired into the back of the subwoofer, which is hard-wired into a control unit).

The TV has an optical out, but doesn't have Dolby pass-through. So the best I could do is stereo sound, and not get any use out of my 5.1 kit.

Cheapest Dolby Atmos speaker set is £799, cheapest AV receiver that can cope with Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision and everything else is about the same.

£2,000 - for a games console. That's without even updating the telly to a 120hz one.

Yeah,I kinda felt the same way, because I was looking at the PS5 and thinking,hmmm maybe?
Then realising the amount of games needed,new headset etc.

So your gaming without headphones mainly?
I can't really do that anymore,kinda used to cranking up the headphones and really get inside the games, especially when playing shooters or games that creeps you out a bit

Wouldn't it be possible to use some kind of digital-to-analog converter for this?

Yeah,I kinda felt the same way, because I was looking at the PS5 and thinking,hmmm maybe?
Then realising the amount of games needed,new headset etc.

So your gaming without headphones mainly?
I can't really do that anymore,kinda used to cranking up the headphones and really get inside the games, especially when playing shooters or games that creeps you out a bit
Not a fan of wearing headphones all the time, not very comfortable and getting "creeped out" isn't something I'm after... I live in a scary enough area as it is... :D

Wouldn't it be possible to use some kind of digital-to-analog converter for this?
Anything that's going to take the HDMI, strip out the sound via an optical port and pass the signal through (including 4K, HDR etc.) is going to be pricey I think.

Someone on another forum pointed out that I could buy a new TV that has optical passthrough. But even then I'm spending over £1k.

I'll just have to upgrade a little bit each month...

Just bought a Series X! Excited for release day now. I love shiny new consoles.
I went down to my local store to queue up at 7:30am. Luckily I managed to get one.

The manager was absolutely fuming. 100 people in the queue. The store had been allocated 20 X's and 10 S's.

I cannot get over that. How little stock of these consoles must there be?

Back
Top Bottom