Microsoft Xbox

I read something the other day that said if you're really paranoid (which I am), you can run a burn-in clearing pattern through a menu option each night. I think I'll end up doing that - which is madness, to think that it's necessary to do that to a TV in 2020 - but... If it works... It works...

Ah interesting, didn't know about these burn in clearing patterns, will go and have a read up about them. Like you I am paranoid about these type of things.

Ah interesting, didn't know about these burn in clearing patterns, will go and have a read up about them. Like you I am paranoid about these type of things.
Well - funnily enough - I just had a quick look through the AV Forums CX Owners Thread, and immediately found someone advising against this! See the post here...

So... Would you guys recommend a LED for piece of mind? OLEDs are much more expensive but if it's life expectancy is 5-7 years then I would rather go just for LED

Happy launch day to all of you getting an Xbox today.

I am not getting a Xbox at present. I opted for PS5 mainly because I love the Sony first party exclusives.

I will eventually pick up an Xbox in the next 12-18 months, as this time round it is going to be different with Microsoft having it's own stable of excellent first party games, the investments they have made in acquiring studios will pay off in the 18 months or so.

It is always exciting at the start of a "new" generation of consoles, this time round there is so much health competition between Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, which can only be a good thing because as gamers we will benefit.

Can't really blame you, I think mine is last delivery of the day same as usual.

I mainly sold it, as thought stupid to cancel the pre-order.
+ Getting the PS5 on launch and will keep that, unless they are selling for stupid money too.

Xbox Series X are going up in value and selling for around £800 - £900 at the moment.

Last edited:
ps5's were going for 650-800 on Ebay the other day - If i was going to sell mine it would be 2 weeks before Xmas - probably almost double your money ...but i'm not

Just received my Series S at the same time I got the notification that EA Play went live with my subscription.
Unboxing right now. Quick impressions, its a very small box, but it is heavy for the size.
Good thing about the size is that I can stand it behind the TV and has enough air.

One thing to note.... unpacking was nice, but the console/packaging stinks. Weird smell.

Are the servers getting hammered? My download speeds dropped significantly during the Day. Gamepass and ea play gave me so many games Ive got my queue up to like 7 games already...

Well - funnily enough - I just had a quick look through the AV Forums CX Owners Thread, and immediately found someone advising against this! See the post here...

Bit of a late response, but my LG OLED does this automatically every couple of months.
There possibly is an option to do it manually as well, but I have never done it manually.

I know I have not had mine long, just over two years now, but I get zero screen burn.
I also made sure I bought my TV from John Lewis, because if I do get screen burn or anything else go wrong then I have a5 year warranty.
Richer Sounds have 6 years, but my closest one is about an hours drive away.

Bit of a late response, but my LG OLED does this automatically every couple of months.
There possibly is an option to do it manually as well, but I have never done it manually.

I know I have not had mine long, just over two years now, but I get zero screen burn.
I also made sure I bought my TV from John Lewis, because if I do get screen burn or anything else go wrong then I have a5 year warranty.
Richer Sounds have 6 years, but my closest one is about an hours drive away.

Did you take out the extra screen burn warranty? If not screen burn wont be covered.
I do like JL - I bought my TV and the day it was delivered they had knocked £200 off so I went online, filled in form and got the £200 paid back into my account.
Thanks

Did you take out the extra screen burn warranty? If not screen burn wont be covered.
I do like JL - I bought my TV and the day it was delivered they had knocked £200 off so I went online, filled in form and got the £200 paid back into my account.
Thanks

I did not take the screen burn warranty, when I asked if the TV was protected against screen burn, the salesmen just said yes the warranty covers all faults including screen burn - Only thing not covered is accidental damage, but that is covered in home insurance.

I did not take the screen burn warranty, when I asked if the TV was protected against screen burn, the salesmen just said yes the warranty covers all faults including screen burn - Only thing not covered is accidental damage, but that is covered in home insurance.

Its extra £150 for screenburn protection.
Im gonna drop my old accidently on purpose and get house insurance to sort it.

View attachment 66731
Love the looks. Performance is awesome so far. Still downloading most of my game library

That looks really nice and clean. Congrats. My Series S is acrually behind the TV but doesnt look bad next to it... No complains so far of my Series S either, great performance and loving the SSD speeds and the games in the gamepass library + EA Play

View attachment 66731
Love the looks. Performance is awesome so far. Still downloading most of my game library
i like the looks of that apartment! :TU:
just a tad to much stuff on that sideboard, for my taste.

you sure the heat from the "media receiver" isnt gonna do harm to the Xbox!?
what games are you looking forward the most (from the batch that is currently downloading)?

That looks really nice and clean. Congrats. My Series S is acrually behind the TV but doesnt look bad next to it... No complains so far of my Series S either, great performance and loving the SSD speeds and the games in the gamepass library + EA Play
:YES:👍
i like the looks of that apartment! :TU:
just a tad to much stuff on that sideboard, for my taste.

you sure the heat from the "media receiver" isnt gonna do harm to the Xbox!?
what games are you looking forward the most (from the batch that is currently downloading)?

thanks!
I actually checked to see if it would cause any trouble but
a) they rarely run at the same time
b) it sits on the "cool" side of the receiver which does not get hot even when running. plus the base the series x sits on gives it some clearance around the bottom. so far no cooling / heat related problems...

honestly most looking forward to finally finishing the walking dead series which I started ages ago on the One, but never got around finishing. as opposite to next-gen gaming as you can possibly get...;)
other stuff downloading which I only experienced in "low res" xbox one s mode: Forza Horizon 4, Dirt Rally 2.0, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

SSD Speed is insane so far. First game I tried which is actually Series S/X optimized is WRC 9, the difference in fidelity & loading times is really really evident.

Contemplaing about getting Watch Dogs Legions and / or Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War to bridge the time until Cyberpunk arrives, but not sure I will get much playtime out of either. Future London does look tempting though...

:YES:👍

thanks!
I actually checked to see if it would cause any trouble but
a) they rarely run at the same time
b) it sits on the "cool" side of the receiver which does not get hot even when running. plus the base the series x sits on gives it some clearance around the bottom. so far no cooling / heat related problems...

honestly most looking forward to finally finishing the walking dead series which I started ages ago on the One, but never got around finishing. as opposite to next-gen gaming as you can possibly get...;)
other stuff downloading which I only experienced in "low res" xbox one s mode: Forza Horizon 4, Dirt Rally 2.0, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

SSD Speed is insane so far. First game I tried which is actually Series S/X optimized is WRC 9, the difference in fidelity & loading times is really really evident.

Contemplaing about getting Watch Dogs Legions and / or Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War to bridge the time until Cyberpunk arrives, but not sure I will get much playtime out of either. Future London does look tempting though...
alright. Sounds good.
Yes, I strongly believe that those coming “loading times“ are a total game changer.

we are conditioned by the standards we have for decades. oh so human it is. will be so awesome to let go of those minutes of waiting, time wasting, drinking tea while it’s loading.... Cant wait!

Quick notes so far from someone who moved from PS camp this gen.

- The controller is nice and comfortable (fits the hand very well), BUT I prefer the trigger button placement from the DS4 for now. The size is pretty good and the texture has the grippy texture which is nice. Getting used to the pause button and the new letters in the buttons (played madden and had to look at the controller during play or else I would throw to the incorrect receiver). Muscle memory I guess.

- The UI.... I have to say maybe its because I was used to it but even the old PS4 UI menu seemed a bit more organized... Or intuitive to find things... So far I prefer the PS UI, could be down to just getting used to it.

- Games... well as it is known next gen came with no games (I know PS5 have Astroboy and Spiderman), but I am really hoping next year something that I could say: that cannot possibly be from a last gen. Seems most things so far are a few lighting and reflection improvements.

- Games part deux: I sometimes feel sad I dont have the games I accumulated over the years with PS+, but the catalog from GPU has been great so far. All games have run nice and some oldies are nice to see (hello battlefield 3). Forza 4 looks great and maybe just a tad better than my PC, however Witcher 3 looked extremely meh, like very janky, to the point that Im pushing thru to see if I like it enough to try it on PC, dont know if its the game's age or just being a port of a One S, but the other games looked fine.

- Series S definitely has some overlap over my gaming PC, however as a secondary console for the price Im quite happy with it, will probably move it to another room (thankful for the small profile of the console). It is an entry level console to next gen games and a gateway to GamePass.

-Storage: fortunately I'm a casual gamer, but even with all the offerings from EA play and GPU, I can see how this will become a problem. I was excited to try a bunch of games and installed around 6 and already I started getting anxious of space. This will become a problem if next gen games are larger. So far I didnt have problem moving some games to the external drive and running from there.... Oh and SSD and quick resume is pretty amazing.

So much stuff we have to learn in this new gen. SSD, HDMI 2. 1, VRR, Atmos, 3D sound.

Also as I said before and as @el niche mentioned, the no1 problem at launch, except for the obvious lack of new gen games, FOR ME seems to be the space issue. On both consoles basically.

Either you take the gamepass/ps+ road, or the new games, considering most AAA games with updates can occupy up to 200 +GB, especially in the series S version, you will too soon come to an end.

I was disappointed to find out there was no XBOX app for Mac. I was really bummed out as I used it when someone was using the TV and I use my Macbook for remote streaming due to the screen size. So I went to the Windows partition, downloaded the Xbox App and well.... another problem... There is no Remote access to the new consoles (don't know if it is coming later or what). That sucks as I used the PS Remote play frequently.
However, on the positive side I followed these instructions:

1. Go to https://store.rg-adguard.net/ and add this URL: https://www.microsoft.com/es-es/p/xbox-game-streaming-test-app/9nzbpvpnldgm?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
  2. grabbed the file: Microsoft.XboxGameStreaming-ContentTest_1.2011.301.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe.appxbundle
  3. Enabled Sideloading in security settings and installed the above app
  4. Launched the app, selected Series X and profit!
Worked like a charm while they hopefully add support. Hope it helps someone

Forgot how beautiful Forza Horizon 4 was. That and Gears 5 keeping me well entertained at the moment. Still delighted with my Series X.

Yes Me too, I played FH3 but so far enjoying FH4 as well. looks amazing. Quick question for you. quick resume does not work there correct? Does it work with Gears? So far I just saw quick resume for a few games, but most of the games I got from EA play dont seem to use it.... I thought it would be all games

Back
Top Bottom