Microsoft Windows 10

Have you tried downloading the Windows 10 update using the Media Creation Tool?

Actually no I haven't tried via USB, I found setupact.log and googled the final error "IBS Callback_Specialize: An error occurred while either deciding if we need to specialize or while specializing; dwRet = 0x7e" and found this blog: https://thatonecomputerguy.wordpres...-hardware-windows-vista-to-windows-7-upgrade/ with two possible options so I was planning to try those although as they are things that risk my OS drive becoming un-bootable I was going to clone it first, I think I'll clone it anyway then try the USB drive option first :)

I upgraded both my Laptop and PC earlier and both went smoothly, the best news for me is that it fixed my networking issues I was having since I put in a new mobo :BOP:

I'm running a test now to see if it's improved the FPS in games at all

I thought I had all the test's I did when I was overclocking written down but it looks like I have thrown them out so I cant test the before and after comprehensively.

I did find some for Tomb Raider though and had my Heaven benchmarks on here and got a 3 FPS increase on TR and no change on the latter.

Some games I can't even switch game mode on!!, the screen just flashes a few times when I press Win + G or the Xbox button on the pad.

Nope same error at 43%, only difference this time when I rolled back it also showed an error on the desktop:

When looking around for a solution, most people have got it working after this error by doing a clean boot.

You need to go into MSCONFIG and then disable all startup items and then restart the machine, after this try the update again.

It can also be caused by VPN software, so uninstall any if you have installed on your machine - However I done my upgrade with PureVPN installed.

Other solutions:-
Launch command prompt with administrator privileges.

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (Admin)

Type the following command:

rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN

Hit Enter on your keyboard

Exit command prompt

Restart

Yeah I've seen sites saying clean boot, someone also said disable fast boot so I've done that in my bios, someone said disable secure boot but that one I didn't know I was doing!

I'll add removing VPNs to the list to try, I did try that rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN one yesterday and it seemed to do very little except stopping DS4 windows from working by removing the driver.

Well nothing worked so I ended up doing a clean install only keeping my personal files, was the only option that would ever complete, now in 1709 and on the tedious task of installing everything again and returning to their previous state!

Thread not been updated for a while.

But Windows 11 looks like it is going to be announced on Thursday, with a special launch event happening @4PM BST on Thursday.

RWF5uB.jpg

What? I tought MS said Windows 10 is last OS but with free updates? I'm confused.

They are given this version a massive visual change and were going to release it as Windows 10 21H2, but given the amount of changes being made, then people are rumouring it to be named Windows 11.

Personally, I don't mind what it gets called Windows is Windows at the end of the day.
The only thing I like with the new BETA I am running, although not the leaked Windows 11, but the latest Fast Ring build of Windows 10 - Microsoft have finally made an effort to sort of the poor HDR performance in Windows.
There is also other improvements coming too, but I am sure you will get the usual crowd of I am not upgrading this Windows 10 is good and working - The same crowd who wouldn't give up XP or Windows 7.

They are given this version a massive visual change and were going to release it as Windows 10 21H2, but given the amount of changes being made, then people are rumouring it to be named Windows 11.

Personally, I don't mind what it gets called Windows is Windows at the end of the day.
The only thing I like with the new BETA I am running, although not the leaked Windows 11, but the latest Fast Ring build of Windows 10 - Microsoft have finally made an effort to sort of the poor HDR performance in Windows.
There is also other improvements coming too, but I am sure you will get the usual crowd of I am not upgrading this Windows 10 is good and working - The same crowd who wouldn't give up XP or Windows 7.
Thanks for the info. This seems better than a complete new OS.

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable with PCs but I've never heard of TPM... So basically, if you put your own PC together, you're screwed? That seems like absolute madness...

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable with PCs but I've never heard of TPM... So basically, if you put your own PC together, you're screwed? That seems like absolute madness...
Not really, from what I gathered, only a PC with a "really old school" motherboard will have some problem, a modern motherboard won't have any problem as usually the TPM Chip is already soldered-in.

You are screwed, but only into buying a new mobo, but a real pain, if you have just built a rig without it.

My PC is now compatible as I had to just change a BIOS setting, from Discrete to Hardware TPM.
This enabled 2.0.

However it does seem that anyone with a PC potentially with a cheaper motherboard or a self built machine from 5+ years ago will not be able to run Windows 11.

Honestly, I have never even heard of this TPM spec before Windows 11 news started to come out so I'm quite clueless about this whole thing :)

I only know about it, as we use it at work for BitLocker.

Do you think they will maintain this requirement by the time they officially launch it? I'm a bit worried because my system only supports TPM 1.2.

Do you think they will maintain this requirement by the time they officially launch it? I'm a bit worried because my system only supports TPM 1.2.

You can install it on TPM 1.2 apparently, but it will give you a warning saying it is not recommended.

I only know about it, as we use it at work for BitLocker.
As far as I know it's also involved in modern Office 365 authenication (we had some devices at work which would refuse to authenticate to Office 365 apps because of TPM not functioning properly, at least according to MS).
Unfortunately it appears that not all the motherboards come equipped with a TPM chip (MSI Mortar B550 here and it doesn't look like it has it onboard, although it has the slot to add one).
There's the chance to enable the AMD fTPM function though which, hopefully, will do the same job. I'll have to try.

EDIT: apparently enabling AMD fTPM in the UEFI did the trick:

hYsW3qr.png

Last edited:
My PC is now compatible as I had to just change a BIOS setting, from Discrete to Hardware TPM.
This enabled 2.0.

However it does seem that anyone with a PC potentially with a cheaper motherboard or a self built machine from 5+ years ago will not be able to run Windows 11.
Where do I find that Option in the BIOS settings? I have a ASUS Maximus VII Hero Mainboard + i7 6700k btw.

Tried that Windows Check aswell and it says it's not compatible for me.

Where do I find that Option in the BIOS settings? I have a ASUS Maximus VII Hero Mainboard + i7 6700k btw.

Tried that Windows Check aswell and it says it's not compatible for me.
Some motherboards don't have an embedded TPM chip. Might wanna check yours. If not, you can buy one. Scalpers are already all over them.

Back
Top Bottom