L.A. Noire

Great review. Thanks Scutch. It seems to be just what I was waiting for. Going to buy it and start it with friends and beers at home. That's how we play for the first time the most AAA titles (mainly Metal Gears, Rockstar games, NBA 2K and TeamICO games).

I'm not looking for reasons to dislike this game as much as it may seem like i am doing so but the following is the snippet from metacritic of the guardian's review.

'Ever since it first worked out how to assemble pixels so that they resembled something more recognisable than aliens, the games industry has dreamed of creating one thing above all else – a game that is indistinguishable from a film, except that you can control the lead character. With LA Noire, it just might, finally, have found the embodiment of that particular holy grail.'

All i have to say is that i pointed out in a previous post that if reviews were going to rate this game on it's technical merits rather than the joy of the gameplay then i would have to take these reviews with a pinch of salt. Most of the actual review follows along the same line as the snippet. 5/5 undoubtedly for technicality but what about for fun and enjoyment?

I'm not implying it needs to be 'action-packed' to be fun and enjoyable, some of my favourite games are adventure games like Monkey Island and Broken Sword, but this review leaves a lot to be desired by way of understanding just what the game actually is. If i were to guess then i'd go for big-interactive movie, in the same style as Heavy Rain, over the aformentioned point and click adventure game.

Sometimes i think that there are specific games that are too innovative to rate badly in a review but end up not being not as good in reality as they are on paper. GTA IV was one of these games for me. Forgive my cynicism of LA Noire here but it's built on a pre-established beliefs of the flaws of game reviews rather than an irrational dislike for a game i've never played and know nothing about.

Last edited:
I have to say I didn't find that from the review. I kind of feel you might have been looking for it too much.

It was inevitable that they were going to talk about the tech at length, particularly when they are looking to avoid spoilers (within reason). But they still explained a fair bit about the rest of the game, an say the experience is 'immersive', 'satisfying', with a 'fascinating snapshot' of post-War America and an 'impressive' narrative arc and pacing. It's also 'satisfyingly meaty'.

That said, the Guardian isn't really a great source of reviews - they do a far better job with articles, which tend to be written by a guy called Keith Stuart (I think?).

Last edited:
Saw a two disk version online...

Not sure whether to buy this on release or wait for the price to come down. There are quite a few games in my to buy list that are a lot cheaper now.

Big toss up for platform. PS3 - lead platform, 1 disk but machine in 'games room'.

360 - more discs, slightly downgraded textures (true?), but 360 is in the lounge and since I showed my missus the video a few weeks back, she really wants to play this or at least join in with me.

We always do our joint gaming in the lounge as its more comfy for 2. Plumped for the 360 version... cant wait!

IGN has now done its review: 8.5/10

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1168417p2.html

Closing Comments

I struggle with L.A. Noire, because at times I love it, yet it has some notable flaws. As a noir fan, I find moments that really get me grinning. There are certain cases that draw me in and side characters who eat up the scene. But it never adds up -- amazing pieces that don’t quite amount to an incredible game. At the same time, no one’s ever played a game like this before. And unless there’s a sequel, I doubt anyone will again for some time. Credit Rockstar for taking a huge risk, for succeeding in many areas, and for offering something fresh and different.
L.A. Noire may not reach the emotional heights of a game like Heavy Rain, but it’s something everyone must try out. It reaches high and almost succeeds as a brilliant new type of video game narrative.

Eurogamer Review: 8/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-16-l-a-noire-review?page=1

Last edited:
pretty good game. completed disc 1 and have done part of disc 2

glitchy linear graphics but they are still good. suffers frame rate issues but nothing game breaking

good story and fluid gameplay, find the reading of peoples faces misleading at times.

my type of game to be honest, quite easy as i am crap at games i will deffo complete this.

i was also a fan of heavy rain

Read some reviews, watched the first case on line, i gotta say it looks horribly slow and repetitive for my taste.

I am sure it is a great achivement in videogame history, it is just not my cup of tea.

Similar comments from the eurogamer review, with a slightly dissapointing 8/10.

Review basically praising most of the technical stuff, whilst as a game overall it perhaps doesn't quite have 'it' to make it a classic.

Weird for a game to still get relatively high marks across the board, but yet leave my bubble if not burst, then slightly dented! Was expecting mostly 10s, but I suppose it's good that the reviews has been seemingly honest and when we get the game it won't be such a massive let down.

I for one have been wanting a good detective game since the Broken Sword series on PC. This game is right up my alley. Slow paced, thinking mans game set in the 40's a la GTA style. Can't wait for this!

Hmmmmm

Hit and miss for me, Its a great idea and clever game but It just all takes a bit too long. Its a game/film type but its all happening too slow for a film with all its 1 on 1 dialogue that drags on and alot of sitting and waiting when i'm supposed to be playing a game

So its very slow game and at times boring but maybe that's beucase im only 7 chapters in or something. Nothing dragging me back to play it either although the tralier i saw on TV last night looked better than what i have experianced

Only played a bit of Heavy Rain round a mates and i enjoyed that because it was Fahrenheit-esque game

This is a bit different

I for one have been wanting a good detective game since the Broken Sword series on PC. This game is right up my alley. Slow paced, thinking mans game set in the 40's a la GTA style. Can't wait for this!

The Broken Sword series is one of my favourites but i'm the opposite to you as this game doesn't interest me. It seems rather devoid of humour, rather like it's taking itself way too seriously for a videogame, which is something that Broken Sword didn't really do.

Back
Top Bottom