Greatest players ever

I've started making my list (consisting of only the players I've seen in my lifetime -you can call it 'best of noughties' as well) and just done with Liverpool and United players. so this is a small example. am I going good or should I just give up already? :)

VljXVaU.png

Last edited:
You say Barca were the absolute pinnacle in the history of club football, well I would disagree with that, but even if you think it's the case other teams were able to eliminate them (Bayern, Inter, Chelsea) so they were not unbeatable.

There is one agrument that swings the favor for Barcelona in my opinion. A golden season with 6 throphies won, no1 done that before, lets see if Bayern can pull it off.

I've started making my list (consisting of only the players I've seen in my lifetime -you can call it 'best of noughties' as well) and just done with Liverpool and United players. so this is a small example. am I going good or should I just give up already? :)

VljXVaU.png

Why Gerrard is in tier below Giggs and Scholes :) ?

because scholes is a genius, gerrard isn't. talent wise, gerrard probably is the better player but scholes, his touch on the ball, his vision is really something else (compared to gerrard or lampard). I mean, I'm not trying to belittle gerrard's greatness and note that there's just a little bit of a difference between the tiers but I just can't put both in the same bracket. also, I'm thinking to place players like bergkamp, nesta, figo, iniesta to tier 1 as well.

There is one agrument that swings the favor for Barcelona in my opinion. A golden season with 6 throphies won, no1 done that before, lets see if Bayern can pull it off.

It's a bit of a post 1990s and very Euro-centric view of things. Penarol in 1961 won every trophy available to them (Libertadores (South America's CL), Domestic League, Intercontinental Cup (vs then European Champions Benfica)) - it was a clean sweep of all trophies available to them that season.

because scholes is a genius, gerrard isn't. talent wise, gerrard probably is the better player but scholes, his touch on the ball, his vision is really something else (compared to gerrard or lampard). I mean, I'm not trying to belittle gerrard's greatness and note that there's just a little bit of a difference between the tiers but I just can't put both in the same bracket. also, I'm thinking to place players like bergkamp, nesta, figo, iniesta to tier 1 as well.

Ok, makes sense to me :)

well, I think this is my final list. just tried to make a sensible ranking between the great players I've seen in my lifetime. some great players like ronaldo, kaka, ronaldinho, adriano, vieri, recoba etc couldn't make the list because (unfortunately) they didn't have longevity at the top level (due to several reasons). also, the tier 4 was gonna be a pain in the arse so I just stopped it.

d00iWk3.png

tbh I don't know why I even made this. but still, I'm delighted with the result. :D

Kahn bellow Buffon...just becouse Kahn didn´t win world cup final in 2002?

becouse otherwise he won more than Buffon in club level.

Buffon won the world cup, but Kahn was runner up for it in 2002 and won the Euro in 96..

I don't think trophies have anything to do with Buffon being over Kahn, Buffon is just a better all round keeper and arguably the best keeper in modern game history (I can only think of Schmiechel who can compete with him for that place).

BTW nice list Kanouté, you just named most of my childhood and adulthood favorite players.

Kahn bellow Buffon...just becouse Kahn didn´t win world cup final in 2002?

becouse otherwise he won more than Buffon in club level.

Buffon won the world cup, but Kahn was runner up for it in 2002 and won the Euro in 96..

no, pipa, if you'd have an overall look at the list, you'd see that it's quite irrelevant. I've rated Buffon higher because I think he is the more competent one. his world cup campaign in 2006 is still the best goalkeeper performance I've ever seen and I'd stand by my opinion, even if he wouldn't have won the title. also, one might consider Kahn as a bit error prone even at his best (not only that mistake in the world cup final).

no, pipa, if you'd have an overall look at the list, you'd see that it's quite irrelevant. I've rated Buffon higher because I think he is the more competent one. his world cup campaign in 2006 is still the best goalkeeper performance I've ever seen and I'd stand by my opinion, even if he wouldn't have won the title. also, one might consider Kahn as a bit error prone even at his best (not only that mistake in the world cup final).

+1

Back
Top Bottom