Greatest players ever

Aboutreika18

Too Black, Too Strong
5 September 2006
Seen this on a couple of other forums and thought it would be interesting to read the opinions of people on here about it, especially after reading the Beckham thread:

najvmP4.jpg

Who would you put where in your tiers?

Maldini should be on GOAT tier.
Henry-Raul and Xavi-Scholes should be swapped.
Zanetti is awfully underrated again.
Where's Drogba?

I'll try to make my list soon. :)

Bergkamp should have his own tier above everybody else, maybe on a little cloud looking down on everybody.

alot of misplaced players on that list, van der sar should be on the great tier at very least as should gerrard with larsson, zanetti, beckham, law, johnstone. If kaka is on that high (considering his frustrating 4 years in spain) then those players mentioned should at the very least be there.

Bergkamp should have his own tier above everybody else, maybe on a little cloud looking down on everybody.

that is just mean. the man is afraid to fly and u wanna put him on a cloud? he'll freak out! :D

as for the list itself, i'm not even gonna try, as i already know i could never make up my mind about so many players.

btw why the highest tier is called "goat"? lovely animal, no doubt about that, but why is it above the god level? we must be talking about some pretty badass goat!

btw why the highest tier is called "goat"? lovely animal, no doubt about that, but why is it above the god level? we must be talking about some pretty badass goat!

Exactly my thought. :LOL:

And just flew over it, but one came directly in my mind: Where's Ibra? Or Ballack? And maybe even Ribery? And from the older times: Where's Yashin?

Last edited:
These list always seem to be missing someone, underrating/overrating someone else and it's almost impossible to keep everyone stratified too. That's why they're useless IMO.

Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Kaka, I love this trio a lot too but unfortunately, they haven't had as much a lengthy career at their "top" level as most of the legendary players had on that list.

Ronaldo should not be in the goat tier and there should be a GK, Schmeichel or Yashin.
Aitkin, no disrespect, but when i see your corrections, i think you must be very wrong.

All the players you mention are/were very good recently, but in a long time perspective they don't belong were you have put them.

I do miss a Man Utd player in the Goat tier. In the 26 years Ferguson was their manager, they easily became the best club team ever (yes Man Utd fans, you are really reading this), so there should be a Man Utd player up there...personally i would go for Cantona, Giggs, Scholes or Ronaldo (if the other Ronaldo is up there, surely CR should definitely be among the best ever)...oh i already put Schmeichel there too...but still what do the Man Utd fans think? Who was the best player under the Ferguson era ?

Best club team ever? you're having a laugh. Utd only won 2 CL in all those years.

Ferguson is arguably the best manager ever, domestically at least, having built 4 Championship winning teams in a row, but suggesting the likes of Cantona, Giggs are among the GOAT is just ridiculous.

zico was better than half the players in the goat tier.

but the again this thing makes no sense at all.

Schmeichel would deserve a spot in the top category I agree, Cristiano Ronaldo? that one's really close. I think he will probably belong in that category when its all said and done.

"Goat" is an American phrase for "Greatest of all time".

Best club team ever? you're having a laugh. Utd only won 2 CL in all those years.

Ferguson is arguably the best manager ever, domestically at least, having built 4 Championship winning teams in a row, but suggesting the likes of Cantona, Giggs are among the GOAT is just ridiculous.

I hate this 'Ferguson should have won more CLs'. Possibly, but it's not like there's a big long list of managers in his time who have won more. And people ignore the ban that crippled English teams in the early 90's. He only really started competing in the CL with United for 13 or 14 seasons. In which time he went to 4 finals, and lost 2 - to a Barcelona team that most acknowledge as the absolute pinnacle of club football in history, and who won literally every trophy they competed for. Not bad at all. Show me the managers who have done better? There might be a single 1 in Europe?

[rant over]

Aitkin, no disrespect, but when i see your corrections, i think you must be very wrong.

All the players you mention are/were very good recently, but in a long time perspective they don't belong were you have put them.

Larsson should be for sure, just because he played in scottish league doesn't make him any worse player, as i know you really don't rate the league, but consider players like charlie adam, who didn't cut it in spl (who i thought was decent set piece player but terrible player all round) yet he managed to be in running for player of the year in premier league which in way's shows that scottish league maybe isn't quite bad as one thinks, especially back then when you had likes of arteta, gattuso, kanchelskis, van Bronckhorst etc. I've watched larsson's for seasons in and out, one of the best single performances i witnessed when younger was watching larsson take on fc porto in uefa cup final, sadly they lost but i would never take that away from him. I can confidently say he's easily top 5 best finishers i've seen in my life and to say to even put him in great tier is wrong which doesn't sound right, i respect your view gerd as always but he is definitely a great for club and country.

I hate this 'Ferguson should have won more CLs'. Possibly, but it's not like there's a big long list of managers in his time who have won more. And people ignore the ban that crippled English teams in the early 90's. He only really started competing in the CL with United for 13 or 14 seasons. In which time he went to 4 finals, and lost 2 - to a Barcelona team that most acknowledge as the absolute pinnacle of club football in history, and who won literally every trophy they competed for. Not bad at all. Show me the managers who have done better? There might be a single 1 in Europe?

[rant over]

It depends which way you look at it, but I can think of five managers who have won the same number of CL / European Cups as him - Guardiola, Mourinho, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel. They all had far less attempts (or have had less attempts to date) and some of them won it with different teams and even teams in different countries. If Bayern win at the weekend you can add Heynkes to that list and if Dortmund win then they will have 2 CLs over the same time frame as Fergie's Man Utd teams.

You say Barca were the absolute pinnacle in the history of club football, well I would disagree with that, but even if you think it's the case other teams were able to eliminate them (Bayern, Inter, Chelsea) so they were not unbeatable.

LOl, now i just feel stupid. "greatest of all time", i would have never guessed it :P
thanks for the explanation edmundo. :))
the special one said:
The GOAT goat. I assume this is Balotelli's goat judging on the swag.
now that's a badass goat! i could actually picture balotelli owning a goat. a dog or a cat would just be too ordinary for him :D

Back
Top Bottom