General Sim Racing Thread

I would advise getting on Steam and downloading Raceroom Racing Experience (it's free to play). It's made by the same company as GTR2 (although the staff are completely different now) but still has some of the DNA of their older games.

Your best bet is the leaderboard competitions which allow you to sample the paid content such as DTM and ADAC GT Masters cars.

I have been looking at the DTM experience pack as it has a championship mode, but after reading that there is no working pit-stops it has put me off some what. That WTCC pack looks decent but guess there is no championship mode, seems they want to force us down the MP route, which isn't for me as don't have the time for all that.

Those things are coming as far as I'm aware, as well as some other good stuff. The game is still in development so content and features are continually added.

I'm enjoying the WTCC pack. Been racing online and it's been good fun. Hope they keep updating regularly as now I've bought some content for it I can see myself sticking to this sim the most.

Updated AC last night but I'm still not feeling it. Got over 100 hours on it since I bought it nearly a year ago so can't complain.

Yeah great fun online. That goes for all content actually but WTCC in particular is a blast.

I'm going to get online for some racing later tonight hopefully. It's quite addictive. Then if I get time maybe some AC. The latest update is supposedly very good and we also have Spa now so it's rude not to. Still struggling to get into AC though.

Don't get me wrong, I like AC but just not as much as I feel I should. The update is good and Spa is always great. Some of the new sounds are pretty decent as well. An improvement anyway, not R3E levels.

I was on R3E earlier tonight again, really enjoying it. I've taken a liking to the Lada! I'll try to catch you for a race sometime.

I have tried F1 2014 today (Codemasters' game) and I have to say that I am positively surprised. Although it looks like 2013 game it is, at least for me, better in simulating driving and AI is more willing to fight for position. Oh and Mercedes guys are bloody fast even in this game, in 1st GP in Australia I came 2nd 28 seconds behind Rosberg (15 lap race).

I am driving Ferrari in my F12014 career and in Free Practice at Monaco Grosjean was a bit nostalgic so he decided to return to his 2012 trademark of crashing himself and taking out others in the process...this time, I was his casualty. Please ignore bad graphics, my PC will be a teenager in few 4 years
hHOLYzy.png

L70Ixdw.png

KwGoudY.png

Just pumped another 5000vrp into R3E in preparation for more updates. Can't get enough of it atm.

Had some great online races. It's brilliant when you're competing with others with a similar level of ability. Last night though, I spent a couple of hours just driving the M1 Procar around Zandvoort and Hungaroring trying to beat some guys time's. I'd come across him a few times online and he's always been quicker than me, so it was a good challenge! Loving the M1 Procar, great car!

When I manage to save some cash again I was thinking about replacing my 7950 with a 970 but now I'm thinking I could get a T300 GTE to replace my G25 instead. Not sure which would be the better upgrade?

Both!?

A 970 would be a great upgrade from a 7950. I went from 7950 to 780 about a year ago and the jump in performance was quite considerable. As I'm sure you know, the 970 is basically a rebadged 780 with a slight performance bump and an extra 1gb of VRAM for nearly half the price the 780 launched at. It's a stellar package really but it depends if you feel the 7950 is struggling with the games you play.

Heard good things about the T300 too. I'm almost tempted to replace my CSR with one in the next few months.

Both will happen at some point in the next few months, just one will have to happen before the other!

Tbh my 7950 is still coping pretty well which is why I'm thinking I could change the wheel first. It'll be a few weeks before I can think about buying either anyway but I think I'm leaning towards the wheel just now and I can replace the card early next year.

Yeah I think that's the order I would do it in. The wheel will probably give you more to smile about.

Maybe overclock the 7950 if you haven't done already. Those cards can normally achieve good results.

Yeah, I think that's the route I will take, wheel first.

I haven't actually overclocked my card so might just do that to tide me over till I replace it.

After that, it'll be a shifter and then maybe a playseat! :D Doubt the gf would appreciate that!

Are you using a shifter?

Yes I'm using the TH8RS with a special adapter to make it work with Fanatec wheels. Brilliant shifter. The only drawback is it's a bit of a faff to switch between H-pattern and sequential mode but it's no biggie really.

Before that I had the basic Fanatec set. Cheap tat in comparison to the TH8RS.

I was close to buying that shifter last year. There's a newer version of it now isn't there, but it's basically the same just compatible with new consoles? I wouldn't mind getting one but my setup isn't ideal for it. The stick on the TH8RS is quite long isn't it? Cba with the G25 shifter either. I'll stick with paddle shifting for now.

The main reason I'm wanting to upgrade and also bought the CSR Elites is I'm enjoying racing sims more than anything else now. Feel like I'm getting old and normal games tend to just bore the arse of me now. Tiring of PES and FIFA too, not bothering this year, but racing sims tend to draw me back in often and I get hooked. It's expensive but :CENSOR: it!

The TH8A? It's compatible with the new consoles and looks identical to the TH8RS. I don't know much about it but I would assume it's just a rebadge of the TH8RS.

The gear lever on the TH8RS may not suit everyone's setup but I think it's about the right length. Mine is bolted on to a mounting on my Wheelstand Pro - it sits right beside the wheel but that works for me. I've read about mods that replace the shaft with a shorter one so that is possible. You can also use aftermarket gear knobs with the TH8RS which is quite cool.

I totally agree with the second part of your post. I spend most of my time on racing sims now. It's become more of a hobby than just gaming. Most of the big AAA releases these days don't interest me a great deal. I find them a bit simplistic and shallow. FIFA's decent this year but footie games in general have been going downhill for many years now.

Hi, I'm a noob to sim racing. I've been using a G27 for few months, which is my first wheel set.
Well, I have a question.
I used to be embarrassed whenever I should select one between "G27 separated" and "G27 combined" at the selecting controller menu in some games because I don't understand what they mean at all.
Can anyone explain what they mean please?

Hi mate, I'm not familiar with that wheel but I believe the combined/separate setting is related to the pedals. I think it allows you to treat the wheel and pedals as one or separate devices (as you can use the wheel with other pedal sets and vice versa). That's just an educated guess though. A quick Google should reveal more.

I totally agree with the second part of your post. I spend most of my time on racing sims now. It's become more of a hobby than just gaming. Most of the big AAA releases these days don't interest me a great deal. I find them a bit simplistic and shallow. FIFA's decent this year but footie games in general have been going downhill for many years now.

Aye, definitely, it's becoming more of a hobby for myself too. Not bothering with the new consoles this time. The only interest I have in them is Forza but I can live without that. I upgraded my pc during the summer, that'll do me. Plenty of quality sims now to keep me occupied. The money that would go towards a console and other games can now go towards racing sims and hardware.

Not been on R3E the last couple of nights. Going to hammer it tonight and over the weekend. Did you get round to trying Assetto Corsa with the new update?

DTMe 2014 out soon then. I take it you'll receive it for free? I'm not sure if I'll get it, will wait and see. I want to get some of the other content I don't have yet but only once they've been updated.

Really enjoying R3E online though. Starting to see the same names in races and had some great battles. Not bad for public servers, only the occasional numpty. Haven't seen much of you online, I take it you're one of these people who actually have a life! :D

I have a one year old boy so I don't have a life as such! I try and pop on late in the evenings when I'm not at work but the last couple of times I tried to race I found the servers to be quite empty. Not enough people are racing the paid content. The freebie Raceroom Raceway servers are always active but full of idiots too.

Yes, I will get DTM 2014 for free as I took advantage of the season pass offer on Race Department early this year.

Oh, and yes, the Reiza news is awesome. I've just read that it will be a free download as it sounds like the Copa Petrobras has paid Reiza to make a game out of their series. Great way to promote your brand.

Reiza are pretty awesome.

I finally got around to getting Formula Truck! Holy shit, it's so much fun! :BRMM: Just a pity that they're pretty dead online.

I wonder when DTM2014 is due? Also, I decided just to go for the 970. I'll get a new wheel next year...

Back
Top Bottom