Football at the Olympics 2012

I stand corrected, Tim. Going out at the quarter-final stage on penalties, they really are England...

Don´t know why England still bothers to play penalties... They should give up after full extra time and spare us 20 minutes of life

Absolutely No love for Mexico! but, A huge amount of respect for their fubol! I hope Brasil wins their match and have the world know about football in Las America!

Mexico vs Brasil ...let the best team win!

No todo lo que brilla es oro, pero vamos ¡Mexico eso, eso!

Last edited:
This Mexico team is definitely getting a medal

Mexico already secured a spot in the final, let's see what will be the outcome of the other semi.
Scoring 3 against a side who hadn't concede a gol in the tournament.. a really organized Japanese team.

We are not even using our 'star players' (hernandez, Guardado, Vela, Jonathan, Maza, etc.).. i think this looks like a brighter future for us, we'll have a great squad for 2014 :)
remember we also won sub-17 world championship last year

Last edited:
Absolutely No love for Mexico!
2fe.jpg

yeah we do have a great generation of footballers as of now, hopefully they'll evolve in the next few years! :)

Off topic: i regret getting rid of my ps2 just because of your patch..
it looks freaking amazing!

Oh dear :FAIL:

So who were Ramsey, Giggs, Bellamy, Allen and Taylor then? Guest players?

GB Women's team knocked out. Thank you Canada :WORSHIP:

Ironic that Bellamy was hoping Welsh people wouldn't boo God Save The Queen (not many Welsh turned up apparently due to vociferous opposition to the team), yet the huge influx of English people who turned up (in their thousands) were the ones who booed Suárez. But they're hypocrites all the time, complain about Welsh players not singing/fans booing their anthem, yet do it themselves.

We don't want to be associated with them lot. Besides, I was cheering for Uruguay :D

I asked this in the Olympic thread, but nobody answered, hoping you could shed some light?

How come the Welsh/Scottish are so against the gb footy team but the Scottish and Welsh athletes are ok to represent gb?

As I said in the other thread it isn't a wind up, I genuinely don't know and want to?

I asked this in the Olympic thread, but nobody answered, hoping you could shed some light?

How come the Welsh/Scottish are so against the gb footy team but the Scottish and Welsh athletes are ok to represent gb?

As I said in the other thread it isn't a wind up, I genuinely don't know and want to?
Its all down to politics.

The Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish FA's were against the formation of a GB team because they feel that it sets a dangerous precedent that threatens their existence within FIFA. The three associations released a joint statement stating as such and wanted to ban their players from taking part, but were told it would be a restriction of trade had they done so.

Mixed messages over the years from FIFA doesn't help.

It is understood that several high-profile members of FIFA's executive committee, both past and present, wanted to abolish the home nations' seperate associations and enforce a UK national association. The Uruguayan FA questioned this in the 80's and several high-profile members of the FIFA executive committee have raised the question. Jack Warner was certainly one of them before his own downfall, and the likes of Teixeira and Grondona have been vocal on it. It also doesn't help when Sepp Blatter changes tack every so often with his contradictory comments, first he says he's against the idea, then says he is for, then goes on about the special statutes that the home nations have within the governing body for pulling them out of the financial shit in the 1940's. A lot of opposition to the home nations' own seperate statutes is due to their power in IFAB, who make up the laws of the game, with each home nation having one vote each with FIFA having 4 votes. Some FIFA bigwigs want to scrap IFAB, especially that Zwanziger bloke.

However the English FA have ridden roughshod on the whole thing, not just the way they have said they have the right to select players for this Olympic team (notably the so-called historical agreement between the BOA/FA and the other three, a complete fabrication), but various other past factors too, not just the professional/amateur distinction abolition, but they also in effect cancelled the old British International Championship by rejecting sponsorship without the other three associations' consent and thus losing out on vital finances (especially the FAW, who didn't have a pot to piss in in the 80's). They also know that if a UK-wide football association was enforced by a FIFA statute, they would assume control and relegate the other three to "parish council" like status, like having the power of a local football association.

Little wonder the English FA have been rather smug about a GB team, it's like this idea would answer their age old "who'll play left wing" problem. They must be laughing right now that they finally had an opportunity to call up Ryan Giggs for an international.

Not to mention the misconception amongst foreign people (and some English) that England and Great Britain mean the same thing, which is something that angers people from the other three countries. As was noticed during broadcasting of the Olympic football tournament, the amount of media people, including from the BBC, referring to the GB football team as "England" happened quite a lot.

In other sports the representation thing hasn't been a major issue (only the anthem bit has been making the news with Daily Mail readers), mainly down to most of the team sports having had a UK-wide team since the beginning. Basketball was an exception as the three home nations (NI were part of an all-Ireland federation as far as I'm aware) "merged" to form a UK association to be more competitive in Olympic and Eurobasket level, but I understand the Welsh basketball federation has left due to internal politics. Basketball here has typically been a "minority" sport and far from enjoys the same level of exposure as it does elsewhere.

Last edited:
It's definitely true that a lot of foreigners mistakenly thought of Great Britain as England. I've seen this many times myself and you'd be surprised, they're not all ignorant morons either, they just don't know any better.

So from that point of view alone, I can see why the other nations would be aggravated!

I think it also has to do with a lot of people only knowing the English players, or simply think the Welsh players like Ramsey are English.

The BOA thought Joe Allen was English from the mistake in the official programme. That was just a day after the North Korea/South Korea flag mix-up gaffe. They had to offer a grovelling apology for both issues.

Welsh people get extremely offended if called "English" and even American tourist guide books state this to anyone visiting. It ranks higher on the offensive scale than being called a "sheep shagger".

The English don't help the situation. When they won that World Cup that they never forget to tell everyone else about, photographs of the day seemed to show their fans waving Union Jack flags, not St. George flags. Even their mascot (World Cup Willie) was dressed in the wrong flag!

Anyway, enough of that. I think Brazil will get gold in this.

I agree that it's stupid: Wales is part of Great Britain and the Welsh players should be ackowledged as Welshmen and not Englishmen. It's not hard to look up where the players are from, commentators nowadays should do their homework, for example: the commentators over here ALWAYS pronounce the name 'Ivica' as 'Ivika' instead of 'Ivitsa'.

Welsh people get extremely offended if called "English" and even American tourist guide books state this to anyone visiting. It ranks higher on the offensive scale than being called a "sheep shagger".

I second that! I'm not offended one bit by being called a "Sheep Shagger". It's boring. I laugh at the boring gits who say it. Get some new material! :)

Being called English is offensive though. Somebody can easily make a mistake and ask if I'm English on holiday. I just correct them. That's not an issue. The BBC etc. calling GB England was very ignorant IMO. Anybody else who does it is quite ignorant too. The team name is Great Britain so call it Great Britain.

Is Spain are playing, they aren't called Portugal. If Liverpool are playing, you don't call them Man United. If Arsenal are playing, you don't call them France ;)

If the British and Irish Lions are playing rugby, they are called The Lions. It's not that hard to understand to me. The name of the team is the name of the team.

i think neymar's first half performance is up there with the worst i've ever seen from any player

I'm glad that Oribe was the one who scored for Mexico, because he's a "fighter", he is showing why the coach called him for the Olympics instead of any superstar in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom