Football at the Olympics 2012

PIPA23

retired :)
21 June 2007
guys i had to start this thread, only by looking on the Brazil squad... :CONFUSE:

Brazil 2012 Olympic Squad

Goalkeepers: Neto (Fiorentina), Rafael (Santos).
Defenders: Alex Sandro (Porto), Rafael (Manchester United), Danilo (Porto), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Bruno Uvini (Sao Paulo), Juan (Inter Milan), Thiago Silva (Milan).
Midfielders: Romulus (Vasco), Sandro (Tottenham), Oscar (Internacional), Paulo Henrique Ganso (Santos), Lucas Moura (Sao Paulo).
Strikers: Alexandre Pato (Milan), Hulk (Porto), Leandro Damiao (Internacional), Neymar (Santos).

i will definetly watch this tournament...

guys i had to start this thread, only by looking on the Brazil squad... :CONFUSE:

Brazil 2012 Olympic Squad

Goalkeepers: Neto (Fiorentina), Rafael (Santos).
Defenders: Alex Sandro (Porto), Rafael (Manchester United), Danilo (Porto), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Bruno Uvini (Sao Paulo), Juan (Inter Milan), Thiago Silva (Milan).
Midfielders: Romulus (Vasco), Sandro (Tottenham), Oscar (Internacional), Paulo Henrique Ganso (Santos), Lucas Moura (Sao Paulo).
Strikers: Alexandre Pato (Milan), Hulk (Porto), Leandro Damiao (Internacional), Neymar (Santos).

i will definetly watch this tournament...

Makes the British team look f'in useless!

What to say about spanish team also :D

We're in such a hell of a group but still I think we can manage to get to the 2nd round.

Go Morocco !!

Uruguay and Mexico look like decent teams too.

GK Martín Campaña (Cerro Largo), Leandro Gelpi (Peñarol)

DF Matías Aguirregaray (Palermo ITA), Emiliano Albín (Peñarol), Ramón Arias (Defensor Sp.), Sebastián Coates (Liverpool ENG), Diego Polenta (Genoa ITA), Alexis Rolín (Nacional),

MF Egidio Arévalo Ríos* (Tijuana MEX), Maxi Calzada (Nacional), Nicolás Lodeiro (Botafogo BRA), Gastón Ramírez (Bologna ITA) Diego Rodríguez (Defensor Sp.), Tabaré Viudez (Nacional),

FW Edinson Cavani* (Napoli ITA), Abel Hernández (Palermo ITA), Luis Suárez* (Liverpool ENG)
Jonathan Urretaviscaya (V. Guimarães POR)

GK José Corona* (Cruz Azul), Antonio Rodríguez (Chivas)

DF Israel Jiménez (UANL), Carlos Salcido* (UANL), Hiram Mier (Monterrey), Dárvin Chávez (Monterrey), Diego Reyes (América), Néstor Vidrio (Pachuca), Miguel Ponce (Chivas), Néstor Araujo (Cruz Azul)

MF Héctor Herrera (Pachuca), Javier Cortés (UNAM), Marco Fabián (Chivas), Javier Aquino (Cruz Azul), Jorge Enríquez (Chivas),

FW Oribe Peralta* (Santos Laguna), Gio dos Santos (Spurs ENG), Raúl Jiménez (América)

Yeah they are a very dangerous side, but I think the goal keeper might be a weakness, I would have taken Ochoa instead of Corona

I don't even know why they rest are trying. We take this home w/o allowing any goals.

Honduras has the deepest most talented team by a mile. I see no way any team even gets close to our goal....

Oh wait, we fucking suck. Just glad to be part of the tournament.

23754730.jpg

Morocco's Olympic coach worried by effects of Ramadan

Morocco's Olympic coach Pim Verbeek admits he has no idea how his team will react to playing London 2012 matches during the holy month of Ramadan.
The month of fasting for Muslims, which began in most countries on Friday, will end well after the Olympics' Closing Ceremony has taken place on 12 August.
"This is a new world for me so I have no idea how [Ramadan] is going to influence my players," said Verbeek.
"Maybe half of them will be fantastic and maybe half will be disastrous."
"That makes it a little unpredictable to be honest."
The Dutchman, who led Australia at the 2010 World Cup before opting to work with Morocco's reserves, is preparing his side to play Honduras, Japan and Spain in Group C.
The Moroccans, who will be based in the Scottish city Glasgow from Saturday, open their campaign against Central Americans Honduras in Glasgow on 26 July before meeting the Japanese in Newcastle on 29 July and Spain in Manchester on 1 August.
To enable the Moroccans to deal with Ramadan, the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (Locog) has granted the North Africans permission to train at specifically-late hours.
"Our players are very strict in their religious behaviour so all of them shall do a normal Ramadan," Verbeek told BBC Sport.
"Which means that from 0330 to 2130 Glasgow time they will neither eat nor drink.
"They are used to it of course but are not used to play such an important tournament with such big opponents in this situation.
"We knew about the timing before, so it's not a surprise - the only surprise is how my players will react when they cannot train and prepare to their maximum."
The North Africans - who will be led by Atlas Lions captain Houssine Kharja - will be appearing at their seventh Olympic football tournament, and bidding to reach the knock-out stages for only the second time.
They reached the second round in Munich in 1972 but have failed to make any impact at their four subsequent appearances in 1984, 1992, 2000 and 2004.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18927902

Yup, if nothing else, 'Ramandan' will make sure Morocco do nothing.

You can't possible have a bigger DISADVANTAGE than that! It's even dangerous when playing competitive intense games in heat and no food/water to rehydrate or energize your body.

Probably will finish last.

Actually that's where you're wrong. Ramadan isn't a curse but a blessing, yes fasting can be a problem when producing a huge amount effort but the mind state on the other hand is on top and that's what will make the difference. It's not like it's their first Ramadan ever they're used to the body condition by now & it really won't be a problem, i bet you they're going to do just fine unless they play against Brazil then they have a problem & a big one too.

Actually that's where you're wrong. Ramadan isn't a curse but a blessing, yes fasting can be a problem when producing a huge amount effort but the mind state on the other hand is on top and that's what will make the difference. It's not like it's their first Ramadan ever they're used to the body condition by now & it really won't be a problem, i bet you they're going to do just fine unless they play against Brazil then they have a problem & a big one too.
You got this point but still the temperature in Glasgow will be so hot that it'll need refreshing sometimes.
Anyway I still got hope :)

Yours truly scored against Brazil but it wasn't enough to prevent Egypt losing, despite a spirited recovery in the second half.

what difference are you talking about, the one that made bergdich loose his nerve and get a red card ?
what pisses me off the most about ramadan is the fact the players don't need fatwa to know that they can eat if they pay back by giving food to 60 poor people wich should not cost much in Morocco. you can make 60 sandwichs for 60 euros.

Back
Top Bottom