FIFA 22 Discussion (Console Versions)

Are these changes based on Career Mode feedback like we think/hope? Or are they actually based on FUT feedback, as per fucking usual?

Squad Battles offers FUT rewards and the balance there is probably more important to EA than the balance of the game vs the AI in CM, as it can really affect the "grind" / main business model.

Nerfing the AI is obviously a FUT change, increasing the number of fouls is weird, no idea really.

With that said, it would be nice if publications like eurogamer, usually critical of the business model behind FUT, were not so FUT-centric when discussing the actual gameplay... Or at least add something different to the discussion than what your random fut player would say on twitter (AI = Bad).

Online is pretty crap playing seasons………people just play for spam goals, it’s not even like watching football it’s more like basketball……I’ve only ever played against PSG, PSG and errrrrrr PSG…………..pass, run fast, shoot….it’s shite.
Yea its pretty bad. Its also hard to find someone playing on full manual (On stadia at least), so its basically script fest 22 and way to fast.

I still have big problems to defend the AI on Legendary. Any advices what tactics I should use? Right now I'm playing 4-2-3-1 wide and the CDM doesn't change the attack but the problem is that I can't get close to the opponent. Maybe there is no solution but at least I wanted to ask.

So basically EA just activated KILL_EVERYONE=1!

The fouls/tackles being posted in here now are the kind I was seeing last night and this morning after I put that into my locale.ini :)

ROFL, someone of EA Dev. team must have come by PC version thread last night.😆

Is it possible to edit the database of squad files on ps5 and xbox series x so that we can add the icon players on kick off mode?

My biggest issue with this in Career Mode is the high scoring matches, just like in FIFA 21.

I’m legendary, semi assists, competitor mode off. Every game is 4-3, 7-2 (yes my match against Spurs just ended with that score line).

Not feeling this game at all. It’s typical fifa - love it at first but then the flaws annoy me far too much after a while.

Have tried sliders, have messed around with a million settings - it’s just too catered for FUT players.

Through ball in the air is waaaay overpowered when you master it. 90% of my goals are sending a high ball over the CPU’s ridiculous high line and I’m one-on-one with the GK. This was a thing with either FIFA 10 or 11 (can’t remember which one exactly).

Sigh. Back to PES 5.
Mate you write the same thing every year, yes it has issues but give it a chance, PES5? Move on lad, I bet you find breaking up hard to do.

Online is pretty crap playing seasons………people just play for spam goals, it’s not even like watching football it’s more like basketball……I’ve only ever played against PSG, PSG and errrrrrr PSG…………..pass, run fast, shoot….it’s shite.
I haven’t been online, so I can’t say for 22 but we used to play as Brighton etc and it was always slower and more enjoyable. Used to play a variety of teams that way also with the matching settings set to same as your own level.

Mate you write the same thing every year, yes it has issues but give it a chance, PES5? Move on lad, I bet you find breaking up hard to do.
PES5 is great. Still. If I had ease of access, I would be playing that also. He’s completely free to write the same thing every year. All he is doing his expressing his experience, sharing. Which is what it’s all about. Not here to be in an echo chamber and I take just as much from the opinions I disagree with as the ones I agree with.
And I understand him because I always have the same issues. This years is great for me but I get his experience because that’s what it was like for me since FIfa 16 up until now.

We often read that but I have realistic scores : 0-3 against Tottenham, 0-1 against Liverpool, 2-1 against Villarreal.
CR7 is a beast like reality in the game. I love it. When the crowd sings his name wowwww!

Question rattling around my head: are there accepted standard FUMA (from here on I'm calling it full manual cos... just cos) settings?

There are so many options and toggles. Or do people count manual through pass, ground pass, shot, cross, and lob pass as full manual?

Question rattling around my head: are there accepted standard FUMA (from here on I'm calling it full manual cos... just cos) settings?

There are so many options and toggles. Or do people count manual through pass, ground pass, shot, cross, and lob pass as full manual?
Its entirely up to you.
For me Full is Full.
I have the whole lot on manual, even jockeying. But that doesnt mean that you cant have assisted AI clearances or stuff..
Whatever makes it comfortable for you.
I dont think we have mr.Realistic Standards here..

Anyway - y'all weird asses need to chill !!!
Screenshot_20211020-214310_Twitter.jpg

What annoyed me about that guy is that he just kept saying "it's cos of you FUT will be ruined". Funnily enough, me laddo, it's cos of you Career Mode will be ruined, and that's EXACTLY WHY I'm asking for separate gameplay... Sigh.
Im finding blokes like this hilarious. Every few months we're getting some golden quotes from them. :LOL:

Those people on stadia, is the deep defensive line any better after the update?
Played 6 or 7 matches in CM and did not see a significant change in the defensive line. What I notice is the AI pressing aggressively a lot more, making more fouls and hence the sliding tackles happening a bit too often and out of context. Like @Placebo said, it definitely feels like when you add super aggressive commands for the CPU defence in the locale.ini. A bit of a rushed cheap trick to create more fouls is what they have done apparently. It did not break the game in my opinion, I just think they need to come up with a smarter way to make the fouls happen. Still loving the game though!

I also don't agree that the game became easier. I am struggling as much as I used to in the previous 2 updates.

Well, i only play FUT, sadly, and after 35 games or so, i have to say, i kind of enjoy it, until the game decides to intervene. I set two main custom tactics going against the meta players. Those who play narrow/compact low block, defensive games, i set up the widest possible offense with 4 3 3, long ball and its easy to find spaces down the wing. Moving the ball side to side really stretches their low block. I keep switching play until the opponent pulls the defense out wide out of frustration, leaving massive gaps right outside the d. Its fun to notice their lack of patience and frustration. I cruised easily up to division 5, have lost maybe handful of games.

You can tell players who play FUT really dont care about long air balls, or playing a somewhat realistic football. They really are OP. Like a yearly tradition, i only play Arsenal past and present rtg and so far, i play just the way they do, except my team create chances.

It is one of those rare footy games where you can tell your opponent played good, and you know at least one of you is trying hard, and you can see that in their play. Its a good football game, until you lose lol.

Last edited:
Played 6 or 7 matches in CM and did not see a significant change in the defensive line. What I notice is the AI pressing aggressively a lot more, making more fouls and hence the sliding tackles happening a bit too often and out of context. Like @Placebo said, it definitely feels like when you add super aggressive commands for the CPU defence in the locale.ini. A bit of a rushed cheap trick to create more fouls is what they have done apparently. It did not break the game in my opinion, I just think they need to come up with a smarter way to make the fouls happen. Still loving the game though!

I also don't agree that the game became easier. I am struggling as much as I used to in the previous 2 updates.
Good to hear nothing seems broken. Maybe try dropping your marking slider back down to 50/50 and create a new marking base from what you see. I'd say EA also upped the 'slide tackle probability' as well. That's a very easy way to do it also - one value

gp_cpuai_cpuaiballhandler_runtime \ SlideTackleProbability

Reactions: cb7
Good to hear nothing seems broken. Maybe try dropping your marking slider back down to 50/50 and create a new marking base from what you see. I'd say EA also upped the 'slide tackle probability' as well. That's a very easy way to do it also - one value

gp_cpuai_cpuaiballhandler_runtime \ SlideTackleProbability
Yeah, marking definitely needs to go down with this update! I will try some more games tomorrow with 50/50.

Loads of people here post the same thing every year. Because the same issues rear their heads every year. It’s a discussion thread about FIFA 22, and I’m discussing it in a reasonable way.

I don’t see you quoting @Chris Davies for his annual ‘CPU never misplaces passes’ (no offence intended Chris, just using you as an example to highlight that it’s ok to repeat reasonable expectations we all have for a football game) or that guy who always says the nets are like ‘steel cages’ (can’t remember his name). So don’t pick me out for posting something, again, which is reasonable.

I could dig you out posts by many people who say the same stuff about FIFA every single year - it’s just how it is. Many of us are searching for perfection and that’s the issue, I admit that.

And since I’ve switched back to Broadcast camera I’m loving this again. It’s because I’m pretty bad at the game in this camera because you get a limited view but it adds a weight to everything for me and I score less goals.

Edit: and to reiterate, I still think this is the best FIFA in a long time.

Last edited:
Mate if you want to have fun online since FIFA 18, don't play with big teams. Even if it's harder to found an opponent retry with teams between 3 and 4 stars.
Big teams against big teams should normally be "balanced" but no, it's a bit too much offensive oriented as a basis.

@Mikhail i think the same about that Fifa. But it's like here, we fear to say bad stuffs too much on the game because the others like it.
I don't hate it personally.
But that game won't keep me the full year for sure, one session by week/2 weeks of 5-6 games maximum and that's all.

No investment i mean. But i got tons of others games waiting for me to get involved and playing hours on, so i won't complain. Just it will be a bit of Fifa 22 until i've got enough, a bit of Retro PES/FIFA (same, but switching from a version to another), and i'm okay.
I try also to fight against my football games addiction. Well i'm also addict about Souls-like for a moment i played only that. But it's an addiction since Bloodborne, not Iss Pro 1 on PSX so... And it's always a pleasure, whatever Souls like it i played. Not the case with footies games at all

Last edited:
Mate if you want to have fun online since FIFA 18, don't play with big teams. Even if it's harder to found an opponent retry with teams between 3 and 4 stars.
Big teams against big teams should normally be "balanced" but no, it's a bit too much offensive oriented as a basis.

@Mikhail i think the same about that Fifa. But it's like here, we fear to say bad stuffs too much on the game because the others like it.
I don't hate it personally.
But that game won't keep me the full year for sure, one session by week/2 weeks of 5-6 games maximum and that's all.

No investment i mean. But i got tons of others games waiting for me to get involved and playing hours on, so i won't complain. Just it will be a bit of Fifa 22 until i've got enough, a bit of Retro PES/FIFA (same, but switching from a version to another), and i'm okay.
I try also to fight against my football games addiction. Well i'm also addict about Souls-like for a moment i played only that. But it's an addiction since Bloodborne, not Iss Pro 1 on PSX so... And it's always a pleasure, whatever Souls like it i played. Not the case with footies games at all
Dark Souls is my favourite series in gaming, you have fine taste sir :) I recently finished Demon’s Souls on PS5. That game kicked my ass.

And yes I agree, I’m afraid to highlight the negatives because others are having such a good time with FIFA 22.

There's no real official version of FUMA

You could maybe argue that the official version of FUMA is only the options that EA forces you to use when you search for an online match using the manual filter. This would mean official FUMA would be:

1) pass and shots should be manual
2) the "Master Switch" options are all turned off (the master switch options are everything above, and including, tactical defending in my attached picture below)

After that, there are only 7 options that impact gameplay that are left up for debate really, since you can still change these options even in a manual filtered match. Those being:

FIFA Trainer
Timed Finishing
Next Player Switch Indicator
Auto Switch Move Assistance
Clearance Assistance
Player Lock
Analog Sprint

you can debate these options yourself. I can say from experience that FUMA players seem to hate the FIFA Trainer in particular (in competitive versus settings at least). With the Trainer the game is still technically full manual because the Trainer is just a UI element and doesnt remove control from you, but yeah people seem to hate it.

I created a preliminary picture of fuma settings for our FUMA discord, just so people can see and have an image of the settings. Bare in mind this is what I personally considered a good template and the settings are still up for community debate.

If EA allowed players to fully customise their own "Controller Filter" and set each setting on/off for online friendlies (instead of just one broad "Manual filter") then I think FUMa players would be forced to come to a consensus a lot faster

xpng.png

There's no real official version of FUMA

You could maybe argue that the official version of FUMA is only the options that EA forces you to use when you search for an online match using the manual filter. This would mean official FUMA would be:

1) pass and shots should be manual
2) the "Master Switch" options are all turned off (the master switch options are everything above, and including, tactical defending in my attached picture below)

After that, there are only 7 options that impact gameplay that are left up for debate really, since you can still change these options even in a manual filtered match. Those being:

FIFA Trainer
Timed Finishing
Next Player Switch Indicator
Auto Switch Move Assistance
Clearance Assistance
Player Lock
Analog Sprint

you can debate these options yourself. I can say from experience that FUMA players seem to hate the FIFA Trainer in particular (in competitive versus settings at least). With the Trainer the game is still technically full manual because the Trainer is just a UI element and doesnt remove control from you, but yeah people seem to hate it.

I created a preliminary picture of fuma settings for our FUMA discord, just so people can see and have an image of the settings. Bare in mind this is what I personally considered a good template and the settings are still up for community debate.

If EA allowed players to fully customise their own "Controller Filter" and set each setting on/off for online friendlies (instead of just one broad "Manual filter") then I think FUMa players would be forced to come to a consensus a lot faster

View attachment 128073
This is what I call FUMA. Off, off, off, off, off, offfffff…… Lovely! 😊

everything else is PAMA, partially manual! just invented that! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom