FIFA 22 Discussion (Console Versions)

Dont think ive tried a finesse cross. On PES it was a high looping cross which was only really useful if you had a big man up top. Will try this tonight.
yes, L1 crosses are perfect for the taller guys up front. Regular crosses tend to be caught by the defense to easy. All types of crosses work wonder when used in the appropriate situation. Not that i choose correct myself all the time… but that’s part of the fun.

Dont think ive tried a finesse cross. On PES it was a high looping cross which was only really useful if you had a big man up top. Will try this tonight.
Yeah, on Fifa there is L1 for me which is high cross, L1 + R2 Driven cross, circle for just cross and R2 ( which is supposed to be a low cross) to smash it at torso height. Also L1 + R2 for finesse chip through ball which gives it a lower trajectory for edge more precision chipped through balls. I would recommend manual crossing though. While it is hard at first, you soon get used to it and can pick out your player.

Yeah, on Fifa there is L1 for me which is high cross, L1 + R2 Driven cross, circle for just cross and R2 ( which is supposed to be a low cross) to smash it at torso height. Also L1 + R2 for finesse chip through ball which gives it a lower trajectory for edge more precision chipped through balls. I would recommend manual crossing though. While it is hard at first, you soon get used to it and can pick out your player.
Add the double press crosses to that (not sure if triple press is in as well) and you have an arsenal of just crosses, it’s a joy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/13/sports/soccer/ea-sports-fifa.html

This is the kind of story I've seen circulating, the 1 billion figure here;

"The core of the dispute is financial. FIFA is seeking more than double what it currently receives from EA Sports, according to people with knowledge of the talks, a figure that would increase its payout from the series to more than $1 billion for each four-year World Cup cycle."

You can Google "fifa license 1 billion" to find many more outlets using this figure.

If the intention were to prevent a "monopoly" then I can't see the sense in that - functionally the FIFA license seems to offer nothing to the product other than the World Cup competition and the FIFA name.

I suppose some other studio like 2K could try to release "FIFA 23" and piggyback off the popularity EA have given that brand, but they'd still lack all of the team/league rights EA exclusively hold and it'd be a more hollow product in terms of licenses than the last decade of PES. I also can't imagine a plain World Cup game, no matter how good, being popular enough for long enough for a big studio to want to produce.

Not really seeing how the FIFA license opening up helps anybody. I reckon they're just playing chicken with EA hoping to extract more money but to me it seems FIFA needs EA more than EA needs FIFA.
I heard the 1 Billion mentions on Games beat decides podcast also. Obviously the 1billion is the total for the lifetime of the agreement. Still crazy. I heard that Fifa want to share the license across many companies.

This is why I like to press "X" (PS5) one time right after scoring, leaving no time for them to run to the corner flag. This way it zooms in on the player and they perform their own "uncanned corner flag" celebration.

Most of the time I won't control the player after scoring, just press "X" and see what celebration comes. At times, usually when losing, I have had to move the player into the goal so they pick it out of the net.
It never used to be like this though. I can't remember what FIFA it was but I think post 15, they became obsessed with justifying their corner flag physics and every player ran towards it by default.

Also, most of the time, the celebration bugs out and the camera doesn't even zoom in or change on their celebration or just skips itself straight to the replay. Yet another thing they haven't bothered fixing in 5 years.

@Matt10 - quick question for you, pal.
I was looking at your newest sliders, as they are always my base to work on.
I noticed you have little FUMA column with pass and shot error set to default.
Do you not believe that FUMA user should also be affected by error?
Its pure curiosity on my side, as I always set error for myself there.
Just curious whats your reasoning behind it?
Is it as simple as - Less Frustration for the user?

I’ve spent most of the weekend playing this and there’s a lot to like, even love.

But I just can’t get past the pace of it and loads of other issues I’ve got with the game which I won’t go into because so many are enjoying it and sometimes you’ve just got to take the rough with the smooth so to speak.

I’ve spent so much time trying to ‘fix’ the game for my liking but I can’t get it to how I like at all. Broadcast camera, stadium camera, Tele camera - they all have positives and negatives. But I just hate how the CPU plays at times. They just dance around, even in slow, pinging the ball about. When I put pass speed really low it then hinders the CPU too much and it becomes too easy.

I don’t want to spend my spare time messing with settings, I just want a realistic yet fun football game straight out of the box but FIFA 22 just doesn’t give me that.

You can smell the FUT even in Career Mode, it’s infuriating that EA assume everyone needs these weird, skating across the pitch physics. There are also far too many goals in this on the higher difficulties. Just finished a game against Leicester, 6-5 to the CPU in the end and I’m seeing a lot of matches like that.

It’s a shame because again, there’s loads to love here. The variety in shooting is incredible. I just can’t get past how frantic it is - and when I slow it all down with a million slider changes it just looks weird and I just end up passing from side to side for 90 minutes because my players turn into slugs due to the big changes. I simply don’t feel that sliders fix this game, they make it look strange.

For example: Operation Sports have the acceleration at 50 (default) and pass speed / sprint speed really low. This just makes the game, again, look and feel all over the place. Because the acceleration slider is default, your players still feel light as a feather and dance around with just a touch of the left stick. But if you reduce the acceleration slider by any value, your players do this weird (that word again) running animation, a bit like a train leaving the station.

Sorry for the long post - just venting my frustrations. I’m already pretty bored with the game I must say which is a strange thing to say because the CPU does play in varied ways this year. But it’s not enough for me.

Maybe another patch will slow it down a bit and add some weight because right now, the players don’t feel right to me.

(Also, sorry - said I wouldn’t go into the issues I have and a few paragraphs later I’m pouring out my thoughts) :LOL:

Exactly what i was thinking last night. If this game did not have such erratic movement it would be a classic. Its by far the best Fifa in a long time infact its by far the best full stop but with the erratic movement its still miles away from the great PES games.

Proper inertia/weight transfer etc i reckon this coud of been talked about as a true great football title. So close but ultimately so far.

Still im still glad i purchased it and i do like it. My name is RIP Pes and Fifa... I didnt expect Fifa to be any good hence the name i was wrong.

Exactly what i was thinking last night. If this game did not have such erratic movement it would be a classic. Its by far the best Fifa in a long time infact its by far the best full stop but with the erratic movement its still miles away from the great PES games.

Proper inertia/weight transfer etc i reckon this coud of been talked about as a true great football title. So close but ultimately so far.

Still im still glad i purchased it and i do like it. My name is RIP Pes and Fifa... I didnt expect Fifa to be any good hence the name i was wrong.
Yes it’s up there with the best FIFA titles for sure. I’m going to take a break from it I think and go back with fresh eyes in a few weeks.

Im still loving it.
Sorry - but Fifa out of the box, without slowing it down with sliders/difficulties/settings - this will never work. Simple as. Either you find your sweet spot, or you'll eventually have to give up.
There wasnt a single Fifa title that would be good out of the box. It was always catering for different crowd and we just have to accept it, or move on.

Ps. Bug in Career Mode confirmed. My whole youth academy vanished after first season. All my 15/16/17 year olds gathered throughout the season - gone. Never seen it before.
I signed a new bloke and youth academy became active, but he is there on his own. Maybe they fixed it with the patch and I need to start new CM, but Im still playing old save.

I’ve spent most of the weekend playing this and there’s a lot to like, even love.

But I just can’t get past the pace of it and loads of other issues I’ve got with the game which I won’t go into because so many are enjoying it and sometimes you’ve just got to take the rough with the smooth so to speak.

I’ve spent so much time trying to ‘fix’ the game for my liking but I can’t get it to how I like at all. Broadcast camera, stadium camera, Tele camera - they all have positives and negatives. But I just hate how the CPU plays at times. They just dance around, even in slow, pinging the ball about. When I put pass speed really low it then hinders the CPU too much and it becomes too easy.

I don’t want to spend my spare time messing with settings, I just want a realistic yet fun football game straight out of the box but FIFA 22 just doesn’t give me that.

You can smell the FUT even in Career Mode, it’s infuriating that EA assume everyone needs these weird, skating across the pitch physics. There are also far too many goals in this on the higher difficulties. Just finished a game against Leicester, 6-5 to the CPU in the end and I’m seeing a lot of matches like that.

It’s a shame because again, there’s loads to love here. The variety in shooting is incredible. I just can’t get past how frantic it is - and when I slow it all down with a million slider changes it just looks weird and I just end up passing from side to side for 90 minutes because my players turn into slugs due to the big changes. I simply don’t feel that sliders fix this game, they make it look strange.

For example: Operation Sports have the acceleration at 50 (default) and pass speed / sprint speed really low. This just makes the game, again, look and feel all over the place. Because the acceleration slider is default, your players still feel light as a feather and dance around with just a touch of the left stick. But if you reduce the acceleration slider by any value, your players do this weird (that word again) running animation, a bit like a train leaving the station.

Sorry for the long post - just venting my frustrations. I’m already pretty bored with the game I must say which is a strange thing to say because the CPU does play in varied ways this year. But it’s not enough for me.

Maybe another patch will slow it down a bit and add some weight because right now, the players don’t feel right to me.

(Also, sorry - said I wouldn’t go into the issues I have and a few paragraphs later I’m pouring out my thoughts) :LOL:
Have you tried the initial sliders Mikhail? I find it less erratic with movements and on semi or FUMA and with pretty much every assist off, it’s plays a lot different. For me anyway.
Also keeping the power bar at 50 helped me as it put weight in the passes once I got to grips with the feel of it.
I found with this it added depth to my attacking play and felt much closer to what I was looking for in terms of the feeling.

Just heard EA is loosing FIFA license.

RIP World cup games.

I wonder what kind of stupid alternative name will EA come up with now. eFootballA 2022?

I think one game or another will get a WC licence. I think it will be a certain comeback of others football game in the future personnally.
I only hope than in one between 7-8 games, we will get an ISS Pro. But now, the difference is they learned the basis of creating a football game by watching, decoding PES and FIFA. Before ISS PRO, there wasn't anything yet.

And i burry Efootball until 2022, but it may be at least playable in a certain future.
Nothing is impossible chances to me to be honest are 20-25%. Sorry They restored some shit in the past, why not Efootball to be at least "playable" for some who won't like the 3 others new games (4 normally, but the last is just an idea that a person got when he woke up with and headache after drinkin 3/4 of a Whisky bottle and posted on Twitter)

Sorry it's not a comparison, but something i couldn't post neither in Efootball or Fifa thread. I erased it then i didn't found where to post that.
Well, please, don't mention me about Efootball, i just talk about the WC possibility and Fifa licences/exclusive that could be one day, totally forbidden.
THAT would be a very very big things for leagues sharing. For every devs blocked to create a football game. Now, i don't think Bundesliga for example may refuse two licences offers / if exclusivity will be forbidden on video games.

BTW @Matt10 last sliders looks much more cool (v4) than the previous i saw on vid (v2) with gameplay cam.
But Gameplay cam is fantastic visually, but i just can play on it, even with a 2000 euros super big 4K TV.
Will check on TV but the difference shouldn't be that big as a change. Looks pretty pretty cool.

The defense retreating a la PES post 17 as soon as an attacker is making a run is really frustrating.
Imagine the potential for more middfield play if they were playing more intelligently.
Give length at 90/90 a go to help with it. Also Marking 75/75. This is with Matt's v5 set as a base. I know it sounds like everything will be more open at 90/90 but the way hypermotion works means the line sliders work a little differently now (in my opinion anyway). Some of it is contextual (and not ideal), but at 90/90 I find the midfield and defence step up and engage higher up the pitch and there's less backing off for the most part. I’m playing on world class.

In general, fixing that issue where the defenders generally follow the forward players runs is such an easy fix for EA. There’s a base depth where the defence will hold their line. I think the threshold is 0.3 for the pc version. Upping that number would do the trick.

Last edited:
Give length at 90/90 a go to help with it. Also Marking 75/75. This is with Matt's v5 set as a base. I know it sounds like everything will be more open at 90/90 but the way hypermotion works means the line sliders work a little differently now (in my opinion anyway). Some of it is contextual (and not ideal), but at 90/90 I find the midfield and defence step up and engage higher up the pitch and there's less backing off for the most part. I’m playing on world class.

In general, fixing that issue where the defenders generally follow the forward players runs is such an easy fix for EA. There’s a base depth where the defence will hold their line. I think the threshold is 0.3 for the pc version. Upping that number would do the trick.
Run frequency around 75 also helps that defensive line although game becomes more open

Im still loving it.
Sorry - but Fifa out of the box, without slowing it down with sliders/difficulties/settings - this will never work. Simple as. Either you find your sweet spot, or you'll eventually have to give up.
There wasnt a single Fifa title that would be good out of the box. It was always catering for different crowd and we just have to accept it, or move on.

Ps. Bug in Career Mode confirmed. My whole youth academy vanished after first season. All my 15/16/17 year olds gathered throughout the season - gone. Never seen it before.
I signed a new bloke and youth academy became active, but he is there on his own. Maybe they fixed it with the patch and I need to start new CM, but Im still playing old save.
The game is full of bugs. My youth team players ages changed. One of them was 18 years old in my first season, and then the next season he’s 17! FIFA’s very own Benjamin Button. And this has happened to three of my youth players.

Then there’s the hundreds of graphical glitches. Not acceptable for a £70 game.

I'm on matts sliders v5, world class and slow, and last night I had 3 amazing games, lost 2 of them. I've converted to FUMA and it makes the world of difference, on semi I find it to easy to break through and score even with pass/shot error sliders set high.

It's definitely a case of finding the right settings for yourself as when you do the game is absolutely brilliant. I've been tinkering from day one but think I've finally found the right blend for myself. It would be nice if it came perfect out of the box but then not everybody would want the game the same as I've currently got it feeling

Have you tried the initial sliders Mikhail? I find it less erratic with movements and on semi or FUMA and with pretty much every assist off, it’s plays a lot different. For me anyway.
Also keeping the power bar at 50 helped me as it put weight in the passes once I got to grips with the feel of it.
I found with this it added depth to my attacking play and felt much closer to what I was looking for in terms of the feeling.
What do you mean by initial sliders mate?

To be honest I’ve tried a million things and the game just feels all over the place. I won’t stink up the thread with negativity and I reiterate, the game is so good in a lot of areas.

But I can’t get it to play how I want a football game to look, feel or play. I just can’t get past how frantic everything feels and my players feeling like a gust of wind could blow them over because there is no weight to them.

Anyway, I’ve given it a bash - I’m annoyed with myself for buying FIFA again. I didn’t waste money on FIFA 21 and played it on game pass instead, should have done the same with this as my gut instinct is to never pay for these modern football games.

(Last negative post by me I promise) :)

Can confirm that the higher Length is a winner. I've got it set to 85. Totally changes that game now as the CPU is met with resistance so doesn't have the space to go forward. Has brought the midfield into the game much more.

Good stuff

Im still loving it.

+1000
The game is far of being perfect but damned i never have so nice matchs since FIFA 08. I don't know how EA can made a so unbalanced game like FIFA 21 and can made a Real great game like FIFA 22.

We all know here that FIFA on vanilla can't bring us real football because we're not anymore EA consumer target. Fut is the priority

I know on career mode there are a lots of bugs, graphical Glitches,etc... I Hope the second big patch will fixed it.

But damned the gameplay is so great, so varied.
Long shots, dribbles, headers, crosses, presentation.
Only the lack of faults piss me off.
I want to do match, after match, after match...
It's a miracle for a FIFA since a long time!

Further to my comments about line length at 90/90, I just had a thought.... I’ve only tried it for literally 5 minutes so I can’t yet report on results, but I’m trying ALL line sliders at 100/100 (I know height doesn’t seem to do anything but for the sake of the test it’s there too).

The idea behind this is due to the way teams compress and track now - it’s virtually all hypermotion. So on 20 and 21, our line settings would have to be quite narrow in order to create a realistic team shape, whereas what I feel like is happening now is hypermotion is dictating the general compression of team shape and the line sliders seem to either open or close the amount of distance that players can come out of this shape in different contexts. The idea by setting everything to 100 - in theory teams are ‘allowed’ to cover more of the pitch, yet they still compress tightly and track.

It’s just an idea and I’m not sure exactly how it’ll work with width especially, but lets see...

EDIT: Width at 100 doesn’t seem to work. It’s not awful, but seems that teams can’t get back into their compressed shape quickly enough. Back at 55/55.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom