FIFA 09 PC discussion thread

Anybody know how you can save the affinity settings for this game?? I have to go to task manager each and every time I start the game to get it to utilise both cores of the cpu.

Having played fifa 09 since it came out, i've gone through a range of feelings towards it.

For me the stark contrast is that PES is a winger based game, FIFA a CM/DM game. The speed of FIFA is great in that it allows a more intricate build up of play, and a heavy focus on passing, the through balls for instance, players actually make runs, and through balls go where you generally want them to go, and arent under/overhit all the time as in PES.

However i've found that i can't for the life of me get the wingers into the game, they quite frankly may as well not be there. Their runs are rubbish, trying to beat anyone is frankly stupidly hard. I tried playing with WB's and Wings, and i still ended up playing through the middle!

Whilst in PES i can't get CM's into the game as it's too tight and AI close down like they're on steroids, so it's allot easier, actually too easy to pass the ball out to the wings and beat your man, but in that way it's alot more exciting.

Graphics, pretty crap. simple enough, having furry grass when a goalie kicks off is great n all but touches like that should be the cherry on top, not the only graphical improvement. The graphics are more than playable, but these sorts of graphics could of run on my old pc i had 4 years ago. If we can have games like Crysis and Call of Duty 4, which have thousands of more textures and lighting effects, surely being able to improve the look of a football jersey replicated across a whole game shouldn't be too hard!

The GUI is clunky, and quite possibly the worse GUI i've used in a long time, i'd happily have PES5 interface, Seeing attributes that could be displayed on 1/4 of my screen spread across 5 different tabs, so i have to keep switching to and fro, drives me insane. The player search option is horrific, barely any options to actually search, and when i sort a list by age/ability etc, i don't expect to have to re-sort it everytime i click on a player.

I much prefer the control of players during highball situations in FIFA, they seem alot more fluid, and you can actually see why you've won or lost the ball.

One of the biggest pro's for FIFA for me is the "long ball", in PES long ball means "rocket ball", it simply goes high and fast, FIFA's long ball is simply, a ball that is kicked off the ground, and it looks feels and plays sooo much better.

AI fifa wins, whatever crap konami tell us they've implemented, i don't think/feel any difference in AI since pes5, they just change the speed of the game every year to make it "feel" different.

Ball physics again fifa, konami haven't bothered upgrading their maths since they first begun, everything goes to a player, the opposition player to be precise, the physics is quite frankly shocking. FIFA again feels alot more fluid, not everything cannons of at 45 and 90 degree angles, and the goalies don't fumble the ball directly into the oncoming fowards path evverryytime.

Yet having really said fifa beats pes in nearly everything but GUI, after a week of playing it, i'm quite literally sick of it, it's not addictive, not in the way PES is. With every PES release i begin hating it, but after a few days i'm addicted, FIFA didn't have that reaction i actually liked it, but the more i played it the more i disliked it.

Having played fifa 09 since it came out, i've gone through a range of feelings towards it.

For me the stark contrast is that PES is a winger based game, FIFA a CM/DM game. The speed of FIFA is great in that it allows a more intricate build up of play, and a heavy focus on passing, the through balls for instance, players actually make runs, and through balls go where you generally want them to go, and arent under/overhit all the time as in PES.

However i've found that i can't for the life of me get the wingers into the game, they quite frankly may as well not be there. Their runs are rubbish, trying to beat anyone is frankly stupidly hard. I tried playing with WB's and Wings, and i still ended up playing through the middle!

Whilst in PES i can't get CM's into the game as it's too tight and AI close down like they're on steroids, so it's allot easier, actually too easy to pass the ball out to the wings and beat your man, but in that way it's alot more exciting.

Graphics, pretty crap. simple enough, having furry grass when a goalie kicks off is great n all but touches like that should be the cherry on top, not the only graphical improvement. The graphics are more than playable, but these sorts of graphics could of run on my old pc i had 4 years ago. If we can have games like Crysis and Call of Duty 4, which have thousands of more textures and lighting effects, surely being able to improve the look of a football jersey replicated across a whole game shouldn't be too hard!

The GUI is clunky, and quite possibly the worse GUI i've used in a long time, i'd happily have PES5 interface, Seeing attributes that could be displayed on 1/4 of my screen spread across 5 different tabs, so i have to keep switching to and fro, drives me insane. The player search option is horrific, barely any options to actually search, and when i sort a list by age/ability etc, i don't expect to have to re-sort it everytime i click on a player.

I much prefer the control of players during highball situations in FIFA, they seem alot more fluid, and you can actually see why you've won or lost the ball.

One of the biggest pro's for FIFA for me is the "long ball", in PES long ball means "rocket ball", it simply goes high and fast, FIFA's long ball is simply, a ball that is kicked off the ground, and it looks feels and plays sooo much better.

AI fifa wins, whatever crap konami tell us they've implemented, i don't think/feel any difference in AI since pes5, they just change the speed of the game every year to make it "feel" different.

Ball physics again fifa, konami haven't bothered upgrading their maths since they first begun, everything goes to a player, the opposition player to be precise, the physics is quite frankly shocking. FIFA again feels alot more fluid, not everything cannons of at 45 and 90 degree angles, and the goalies don't fumble the ball directly into the oncoming fowards path evverryytime.

Yet having really said fifa beats pes in nearly everything but GUI, after a week of playing it, i'm quite literally sick of it, it's not addictive, not in the way PES is. With every PES release i begin hating it, but after a few days i'm addicted, FIFA didn't have that reaction i actually liked it, but the more i played it the more i disliked it.

is it me or youre playing fifa09 not on pc? and long balls on pes2009 aint rocket...

You have pretty much summed up my own thoughts there mate.

I think the graphics are better than you give them credit for - if anti-aliasing worked I think it would look great, and close up the game does look fantastic.

Apart from that though, spot on - I too am disappointed with the wing play. Actually, the movement is good - wingers make good runs, and through balls down the wing are very effective - but what have they done with the crossing? I'd say a good 9 out of 10 crosses go straight to the opposition, and my players don't even seem to want to get a head on the ball. The crosses also frequently go in a different direction to where I intended.

I am also impressed with long balls. It's great to be able to dink it over the opposition player's head when the ground pass is blocked. You simply can't do that in Pro Evo. In Pro Evo, long balls only really work for VERY long passes, e.g. defender to striker, or for crosses.

Overall FIFA 09 is much more realistic in terms of player behaviour and what you can actually do, but it isn't without its faults. I am cool with it for now, though.

I think the graphics are better than you give them credit for - if anti-aliasing worked I think it would look great, and close up the game does look fantastic.

Apart from that though, spot on - I too am disappointed with the wing play. Actually, the movement is good - wingers make good runs, and through balls down the wing are very effective - but what have they done with the crossing? I'd say a good 9 out of 10 crosses go straight to the opposition, and my players don't even seem to want to get a head on the ball. The crosses also frequently go in a different direction to where I intended.

I am also impressed with long balls. It's great to be able to dink it over the opposition player's head when the ground pass is blocked. You simply can't do that in Pro Evo. In Pro Evo, long balls only really work for VERY long passes, e.g. defender to striker, or for crosses.

Overall FIFA 09 is much more realistic in terms of player behaviour and what you can actually do, but it isn't without its faults. I am cool with it for now, though.

thats not fifa pc though...

Disable depth of field and transparency AA (from Nvidia control panel or its ATI counterpart) and it will work.

thats not fifa pc though...

What you need to understand is that other people are capable of having a different opinion to yourself.

Of course it's FIFA 09 PC. What else would I be talking about? FIFA 09 on toast?

Disable depth of field and transparency AA (from Nvidia control panel or its ATI counterpart) and it will work.

I'll give it a go, cheers AlaaEG. Not sure I want to get rid of depth of field, since it looks so good in celebrations and replays, but I'll give it a try.

Someone should hopefully be able to fix a patch which enables the AA you see in close-up shots for the whole game.

depth of field isn't applied too well.
It has to do with focus (something right in front of the eye/camera focusing sharply over a blurry background), and FIFA (as well as many other games) uses DOF in panoramic views and other non close-up shots.

I'll give it a go, cheers AlaaEG. Not sure I want to get rid of depth of field, since it looks so good in celebrations and replays, but I'll give it a try.

Someone should hopefully be able to fix a patch which enables the AA you see in close-up shots for the whole game.
Does it work? Btw, do you play on manual? or assisted? :FISH:

Just acquired this game for my PC and I've got to say it's an absolute disgrace. First impressions are that it's too similar to 08, and secondly, it doesn't run or look anywhere near as nice as the PES demo does. Why can't I have circle as my tackle button? Why can't I have R1 as my sprint button? PES it is for me, and I'm so glad. FIFA should stick to consoles.

Erm, you can configur the buttons as you like? I have!

I use R1 for sprint and if by circle you mean the right of the diamond and by tackle you mean slide, I have that too. High pass is on the same button, I switched both with and without the ball functions with shoot/standing tackle (which I then moved to the same as pass to match PES)

FIFA should NOT stick to consoles, they should put some effort in to PC and treat it as they do consoles. I agree PES is the better agme and there are many disapointments in FIFA but unless Konami are allowed access to the official licenses I still maintain a glimer of hope that EA will get their acts together - purely because of what Konami aren't allowed to do.

Does it work? Btw, do you play on manual? or assisted? :FISH:

Manual all the way! I can't stand the thought of playing with assisted. And I don't trust the AI to 'assist' me correctly, either!

The AA thing did work by the way mate - but the depth of field is very important in replays and celebrations, so I put that back on.

I have not been playing Fifa since 2002 so I'm quite lost. Hope someone can help me.

I noticed that Fifa2009 is incredibly detailed so much so that it is virtually impossible to go thru and test out every challenge in the game within an hour. Except for the mouse control which makes the beautiful pitch looks like a billiard table, everything looks quite good and perhaps worth my effort to try out the game. Appreciate if someone could confirm whether it is possible to play at the lowest league in England and gain promotion to a higher league. Assuming that we finished within the top 3 and we gained promotion. Can I continue with the same team for next season in the higher league? If there is continuity ,it will be fun as we can take a team from the lowest league to the Premier league in the shortest time possible. Can someone please confirm.

The PS3/X360 FIFA09 looks like everything the PC version isn't.

I don't GET it. Most PCs run hardware a lot more capable than next-gen consoles. I hope they diffuse that PC team forever, and just develop it alongside the X360/PS3 version.

Well I've just installed Fifa 09 and played it and to say I'm dissapointed is a understatement. I can't believe how bad the scrolling is, not to mention the bad jittering. I know it's not my system, as I knocked all the detail down and even the resolution to 640x480, lol It looked horrendous and the scrolling and jittering problems were still there, so obviously it's down to the lousy programming. Shame really as it doesn't play a bad game, but the scrolling just puts you completely off wanting to play it.

PES09 is much better, nicer graphics, smoother, no slowdowns and it has the usual high standard of gameplay. The only negative thing I would say about it, is the online play. I've only played two games online so far, but both were really laggy to the point of being completely unplayable. I've since applied the new patch which is supposed to fix the problem, so hopefully the situation has now improved.

For me PES09 wins yet again over Fifa 09. Ive heard the console versions are good, but haven't played them myself. When it comes to the PC version, EA seriously need to get their act together, because quite frankly the lame scrolling and jittering is just unacceptable.

my system
8800 gts 640mb
4gb ram OCZ
19" TFT 1280x1024
core duo 6300 1800mhz oc to 2450mhz

Well I've just installed Fifa 09 and played it and to say I'm dissapointed is a understatement. I can't believe how bad the scrolling is, not to mention the bad jittering. I know it's not my system, as I knocked all the detail down and even the resolution to 640x480, lol It looked horrendous and the scrolling and jittering problems were still there, so obviously it's down to the lousy programming. Shame really as it doesn't play a bad game, but the scrolling just puts you completely off wanting to play it.

PES09 is much better, nicer graphics, smoother, no slowdowns and it has the usual high standard of gameplay. The only negative thing I would say about it, is the online play. I've only played two games online so far, but both were really laggy to the point of being completely unplayable. I've since applied the new patch which is supposed to fix the problem, so hopefully the situation has now improved.

For me PES09 wins yet again over Fifa 09. Ive heard the console versions are good, but haven't played them myself. When it comes to the PC version, EA seriously need to get their act together, because quite frankly the lame scrolling and jittering is just unacceptable.

my system
8800 gts 640mb
4gb ram OCZ
19" TFT 1280x1024
core duo 6300 1800mhz oc to 2450mhz

Listen to these pathetic hypocrites.... they make me sick:
Gametrailers.com - FIFA Soccer 09 - Inside the Game: PC

I can't understand how anyone can say that Fifa 09 is better than Pes 09. I played Fifa 09 some more, while trying to ignore the horrendous scrolling, but the gameplay is just no where near as good as Pes09.Even pes 06 is better. Nice cutscenes, but the in game gfx suck compared to pes 09.

I used to be a pes fan until the release of pes08 which i thought was horrible..so i decided to switch 2 fifa 09...then i realised that i cannot use the numpad 4 the controls..can anyone tell me if there is a way to use the numpad as the controls?

About the graphics: We really can't say they're bad, can we?

Player are way more detailed than FIFA08, they're on a complete different planet to behonest. And also the ambience and the lighting, they make you feel you actually ARE in the stadium..

About the gameplay: They DO run when you want them to. I play with manual through pass and manual cross and guess what? I always get a man alone with the ball on the flank. Then I have to agree with you: crossing, on manual, is too difficult. The ball seems to go in a completely different direction compared to where you wanted it to go.. And even if I manage to win some aerial challenges, well, the headers are always weak and usually don't bother the keeper that much. "Short" long balls are lovely too. You feel you're in control of the game, and in addition it feels you can actually control the pace of the game. it's up to you whether to push on the throttle or not, and this is very important.
Then, the shots: It's difficult to learn how to shoot, but once you mastered it, you are able to score some pretty cool goals. In PES shoots seem all the same (haven't tried 09 that much yet) while in FIFA they seem more "real" even if a lot of them just flies over the bar or near the post by inches..
And the goalkeepers: FIFA rules in this case, GKs are actually smarter and more credible than the ones we see in PES. At least, they know you should NOT deflect the ball on the feet of the forward running just against you.

In the end, I must admit I got nicely surprised by FIFA this year. Though I'm not playing it frequently (a friend of mine has it, I still don't), anytime I play it I feel comfortable. FIFA09 and PES6 are "this season's" football games for me =)

About the graphics: We really can't say they're bad, can we?

Player are way more detailed than FIFA08, they're on a complete different planet to behonest. And also the ambience and the lighting, they make you feel you actually ARE in the stadium..

About the gameplay: They DO run when you want them to. I play with manual through pass and manual cross and guess what? I always get a man alone with the ball on the flank. Then I have to agree with you: crossing, on manual, is too difficult. The ball seems to go in a completely different direction compared to where you wanted it to go.. And even if I manage to win some aerial challenges, well, the headers are always weak and usually don't bother the keeper that much. "Short" long balls are lovely too. You feel you're in control of the game, and in addition it feels you can actually control the pace of the game. it's up to you whether to push on the throttle or not, and this is very important.
Then, the shots: It's difficult to learn how to shoot, but once you mastered it, you are able to score some pretty cool goals. In PES shoots seem all the same (haven't tried 09 that much yet) while in FIFA they seem more "real" even if a lot of them just flies over the bar or near the post by inches..
And the goalkeepers: FIFA rules in this case, GKs are actually smarter and more credible than the ones we see in PES. At least, they know you should NOT deflect the ball on the feet of the forward running just against you.

In the end, I must admit I got nicely surprised by FIFA this year. Though I'm not playing it frequently (a friend of mine has it, I still don't), anytime I play it I feel comfortable. FIFA09 and PES6 are "this season's" football games for me =)

FIFA_09_versus_pro_evolution_soccer_2009_comparison_035.jpg

FIFA_09_versus_pro_evolution_soccer_2009_comparison_049.jpg

For me for a person to like FIFA09 PC that person must have liked old gen fifa's alot...

Well oFifa09o, I have to be honest: I used to be a FIFA99 fan, I played it for years, but my "love" for FIFA ended there.
I still play FIFA07 seldom, but just because of the FifaMania patch that added the 06/07 Serie C to the game, but I can't really stand FIFA08.
On the other hand, I've been a huge fan of the PES series until the great let down called PES2008 came out.

When I tried the FIFA09 demo I said "what a load of garbage, same old FIFA" but the full game proved me wrong. I can't really say WHAT I like about FIFA (they may not be the graphics even if I think that they're a huge improvement over 08 ones), but I like it.
It provides a great feeling, you really feel like you're "attending" the match you're playing and like everything could happen.
And then, with manual through ball and long pass, you're FREE. And that's something important.

Surely PES2009 player/kit models are cleaner and more detailed than FIFA09 ones, but PES2009 seen "in motion" doesn't provide me the same feeling FIFA09 does.

So I'd probably stick with PES6 (masterpiece) and with FIFA09..

After all I'm the one that likes Virtua Striker 2 because of its spirit, even if graphics are outdated and gameplay is absolutely arcede :WORSHIP:

Back
Top Bottom