Everton Thread

Re: Everton Thread

Everton 3 Az alkmarr 2

By Kevin Ratcliffe

Vaughan finished from a difficult angle to secure victory for Everton
Substitute James Vaughan scored the winner as Everton ended AZ's unbeaten home record in European competition.

_44314697_vaughan416.jpg

Everton had already secured top spot in Uefa Cup Group A but they went ahead after 63 seconds when Andy Johnson finished at the near post.

Graziano Pelle's precise shot brought the hosts level but Everton led at the break thanks to Phil Jagielka's header.

Kew Jaliens headed AZ level but Vaughan shot home from a tricky angle to secure a superb win and send the hosts out.

AZ had surpassed Ipswich's record of 31 unbeaten home matches in European competition with victory over Larissa in their previous Uefa Cup game at their DSB Stadion.

They went into the game against Everton still needing a win to reach the last 32 and they must have felt confident against a side who had little to play for.

Everton boss David Moyes gave several fringe players a chance to shine, with James McFadden, Thomas Gravesen, Victor Anichebe and keeper Stefan Wessels all coming into the side.

It was an unfamiliar formation too, with McFadden playing just behind the front two and Tony Hibbert protecting the back four in a diamond.

Despite all that, Everton made the perfect start, Johnson showing great determination in the box to shrug off a strong challenge before shooting through another defender's legs and in at the near post in the second minute.

Everton had the momentum but it was suddenly wrested from them when AZ equalised via a swift counter-attack, Pelle latching on to Gretar Steinsson's pass and finishing low into the far corner.

AZ's quick passing had the Everton defence scrambling at times but the hosts were punished for failing to make their possession tell.

Just before half-time, Johnson, who was clearly out to impress Moyes, again showed his strength, controlling a corner and setting up Joleon Lescott.

Jack Rodwell, 16, came on after 80 minutes to make his Everton debut

Lescott's shot was cleared off the line only for Jagielka to head in his first goal for the club since his £4m move from Sheffield United in the summer.

Whats that coming over the hill? Its jagielka! ;)

_44314650_jags416.jpg

In an entertaining game, AZ made it 2-2 after 65 minutes when Jaliens rose at the far post to head home Julian Jenner's inswinging corner.

But Everton had the final say, Vaughan hitting a first-time shot from Anichebe's pass which trickled past Boy Waterman and crept over the line.

There was still time for Jack Rodwell to make his bow for Everton, meaning the 16-year-old defender was on the pitch at the final whistle as his team celebrated a 100% record in Group A.

_44314739_rodders300.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everton boss David Moyes:
"They all performed really well against a good AZ side.
"I think we're getting stronger as we go along. We've not won anything but that takes time.

"We've got players in good form but they have to keep their form up because they've seen tonight there are players pushing to come into the team."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AZ: Waterman, Jaliens, Opdam, Pocognoli (Agustien 77), Mendes Da Silva, Cziommer (El Hamdaoui 66), Dembele, De Zeeuw (Jenner 65), Steinsson, Vormer, Pelle.
Subs Not Used: Romero, Koenders, Donk, Medunjanin.

Goals: Pelle 16, Jaliens 65.

Everton: Wessels, Hibbert, Jagielka, Lescott, Nuno Valente, Pienaar (Vidarsson 69), Gravesen (Rodwell 80), Carsley, McFadden, Anichebe, Johnson (Vaughan 68).
Subs Not Used: Ruddy, Jutkiewicz, Boyle, Irving.

Booked: Hibbert, Wessels.

Goals: Johnson 2, Jagielka 44, Vaughan 79.

Att: 16,578

Ref: Selcuk Dereli (Turkey).

Last edited:

Good win last night Toffees, really enjoyed the game. :)

Thrilled to say the least, 7 first team players left at home and we still secure victory and take away the longest unbeaten home record which was running since 1977 , looking forward to man utd at the week end, will be tough game.

Can't wait mate - I got my ticket at the ready, gonna be a great day out! :)

Last edited:

thats the media they are so far up the redshites arses

I'm sorry what has Aberdeen got to do with the media loving Liverpool.

The Media does NOT love Liverpool. Do you not watch games on Sky?

Or the fact Liverpool are always last of the big four, sometimes even second from last completley on the MOTD showing even if we trounce someone or are involved in a high scoring game.

Or how about the fact that the Media is constantly having a go at Benitez no matter what he does. They make up lies about how much we spend on players, they lie about us spending big bucks this season, when in fact the teams that finished 20 odd points ahead of us last season went out and doubled our spending this year.

They go on and on about Zonal marking, despite Liverpool conceeding the least amount of goals from set pieces than any other team for the last two seasons. They go on and on about rotation, althought the stats show we only rotated one player more than the other big four last season.

It was a FANTASTIC result for Everton the other day. I am not looking forward to playing you again either considering you will be pumped up after the incidents at Goodison. But to be honest, you were expected to qualify from that group. Aberdeen were not.

And I hope you get a point of United tomorrow!

Could do with a 0-0 draw here :)

Why is it Cahill is ALWAYS complaining to the ref? According to him, he NEVER commits a foul, he's ALWAYS appealing every single decision.

Hibbert could've been sent off there. Just because he was slightly lower to the ground than Kuyt (who you all maintained should've been sent off) and Crouch, Hibbert's tackle was just as bad. Lucky boy.

Bad luck lads, you really stopped us playing in the final third of the pitch. You didn't deserve to lose, Pienaar moment of madness awards us an early Xmas present.

Good game boys - you put up a better fight than your red rivals at least! :)

Speaking of sendings off, Rooney was fortunate to not get a red for the first late tackle. And then also deliberatly stood on Howard's foot later in the 1st half.

Only saw the 1st half and it was a good match. Was hoping for some fighting but the bad tackles were good to watch. Everton were pretty equal to manu.

Also why is neville always so crap against manu? You might aswell just leave him out of the squad for these matches as he is obviously scared that his brother will give him a chinese burn if he plays well.

Good game boys - you put up a better fight than your red rivals at least!

Does make a difference when one team hasnt parked the bus and is camped in its own half for the whole match Benitez not so long ago said its only the small teams that do that..........arsenal and chelsea atleast tried to play footie ;)

Lol that lot have short memories (only sing when winning ;))

Any way first defeat in ages and a point would have been the fair result , but we have had our fair share of late goals our selves so no complaints , Proud of our boys today, we stopped them playing in the final third for large parts of the game , We had not coceded a goal in the premier league in over 5 and a half hours, so im a very happy and content toffee man
Merry christmas to all , even my red-##### buddies across the way

IN MOYE`S WE TRUST.

Man Utd 2-1 Everton
Cristiano Ronaldo, right, celebrates his excellent opener at Old Trafford
Cristiano Ronaldo's penalty two minutes from time earned Manchester United a narrow win that saw them close the gap on league leaders Arsenal to a point.

It was a cruel finish for Everton, who had battled well before Steven Pienaar felled Ryan Giggs late on, allowing Ronaldo to convert from the spot.

The Portuguese had earlier fired the hosts into the lead with a 20-yarder.

Tim Cahill levelled with a firm header and the Toffees looked to have earned a hard-fought point until Ronaldo's goal

naughty naughty , hmmmm think they beat us at OUR ground last week.....

:applause:

At last, a L'pool supporter on here without red-tinted glasses! Well done you! ;)

Back on-topic, I think you Toffees will do well this season - I really rate Moyes as a manager, he knows the game better than most top coaches. Also I agree, Phil Neville is crap, I wouldn't play him if I was Moyes. :)

Awesome powerful second half display against bolton, blew them away , goodison was rocking big time, at least one team in the city shows passion! I dont see arsenal getting much joy at the old lady!

ok and now the arse! reports say the weather gonna be very wet and windy in l/pool the day , should make for an interesting game , good luck toffee`s coyb.

Good luck guys, You've got a good record against arsenal at home havent you? Can see an everton win for this one, lets hope so!

In that case Everton will be level on points with us for at least 24 hours (after playing 2 more games)

I'm hoping for a draw. Everton are capable of biting at the top four's tails for a long time.

In that case Everton will be level on points with us for at least 24 hours (after playing 2 more games)

I'm hoping for a draw. Everton are capable of biting at the top four's tails for a long time.

I think we need the arse and manu to drop as many points as possible, whether that means everton are near shouldnt come in to it. Dont think they will be able to last the whole season if they continue to do well in europe. Also is yakubu off to africa? Not sure of his nationality.

Yak is Nigerian.

Arsenal losing would put the title race back to a 4 horse race, but Everton would defo be in contention for CL football. As long as we beat City, which will be hard. We won't play our game in hand until the end of the month either.

we where a different class first half and shite the second, brilliant game of football , but the defence was a disaster, too many soft goals but hey ya cant win them all , well done arsenal, funny ole game eh :roll:

POSTED IN ARSENAL THREAD, SORRY LADS CAN'T BE BOTHERED MODIFYING, YOU GUYS PLAYED WELL TODAY, EVERTON ARE MY NUMBER 3 TEAM!!! I MEAN THAT, SERIOUSLY, WEST HAM IS MY NUMBER 2, DUNNO WHY, IT JUST FELL THAT WAY FOR ME. (I THINK BECAUSE ANDERS LIMPAR AND TONY COTTEE PLAYED FOR THEM AND PARTLY CAUSE I HATED 'POOL)

What a result, EDUARDO!!! ADEBAYOR!!!!! Have to hand it to them, PISSED ABOUT BENTDNER GETTING SENT OFF, THERE WAS A THROW IN JUST BEFORE HIS CARD WITH ADEBAYOR STANDING ON THE SIDELINES WAITING TO COME ON!!!!! WHAT A LOAD OF BULL. ALSO, PISSED AT FABREGAS!!!!!! ARTETA SHOULD NEVER HAVE RECEIVED A STRAIGHT RED, ITS NOT LIKE HE FLAILED HIS ELBOW WITH THE INTENT TO KNOCK HIM OUT, AND CESC MADE A FUCKING MEAL OF IT, BITTERLY DISAPPOINTED TO SEE THAT SHIT, DID ANYONE SEE THE DIVE ON THE EDGE OF THE BOX BY PHIL NEVILLE TOO??? Anyways, rant over, the scorline is flattering but unflattering, Everton are a VERY good team and I think they are one of the best teams we have faced this season, the don't deserve the 4-1 scoreline. Fair play Everton.

shocking second half display, but hey ho we'll still be up there. bring on the boro and the fa cup and semi's.

i have it on good knowledge a barca striker will be joining us in the new year transfer window.......watch this space........!

COYB!!!!

another away win , another 3 points without our cahill and arteta , shows the strength of the squad now...well done toffee`s. :applause:

boro 0 everton 2

jesus just nipped in to get my head showered , its getting all depressed over on the red - shite thread! Think the penny`s dropped with most of them that they are very over rated...any way other big news....

There’s still only 1 British Premier League team on Merseyside

EFC
Owned by a Scouser
Managed by a Scot
Supported by the people (scousers)

LFC (sh*te)
Owned by Amercicans
Managed by a Spaniard
Supported by Scandanavians, sad southern losers and woollybacks.

and in other news....

Plans Submitted

The Blues and Tesco today submitted plans to Knowsley Council for their proposed 50,000 seater Stadium, and Retail Outlet in Kirkby. 'Destination Kirkby' as it been named will go before the Borough councillors over the coming months. Locals will be able to express their concerns over the proposed venture. It is believed that up to 80 homes may have to be demolished as well as a school and Care Home for the development to go ahead. The scheme is costing up to £400m, but lately local opposition has been growing to Everton's new ground proposal. A decision on the Scheme is due in mid to late March.

Bully says: "This represents the next, key stage in what has been a complex and demanding process. We continue to work closely with our partners, Tesco and Knowsley Borough Council, and we remain very optimistic about what is hugely-ambitious and significant project."

EvertonNewStadium2_468x351.jpg

EvertonS_stadium_2007.jpg

you know it makes sence. :D

Everton poised to enter big four

Former Everton captain Kevin Ratcliffe believes the club are on the verge of bringing back the glory days.

David Moyes' side are sat in sixth place in the Premier League, three points behind fourth-placed Manchester City.

The Toffees were the last side to break the 'big four' monopoly by finishing in the Champions League qualification places in 2004-05.

And with rivals Liverpool slipping up again on Wednesday night, Ratcliffe - who captained the club to their two league titles in the 1980's - thinks the top four is not beyond the current Everton crop this time around.

"They'll as close now as they'll ever be," he told Sky Sports News.

"The thing is what they've got to do now, is they've got to build on it and not let the gap appear any greater.

"I think they can do that. From what we've achieved so far this season, I'll be looking for us to finish in that top six position and hopefully if we can get in that top four, it will be a boost as well.

"They're going about it in the right way."

Ratcliffe believes the club are now reaping the rewards of sticking with David Moyes.

The Scot was under pressure back in 2003-04 when Everton finished one place above the relegation spots, but has since finished fourth and 11th in the Premier League.

"Obviously the continuity of keeping the manager a couple of years ago when things weren't going well has helped.

"They could quite easily have changed things. Other clubs have done things like that but they've stuck with it and I think the benefits are there now."

Mikel_Arteta_609435.jpg

Last edited:

breakin.png

Terry injury fear hits Blues
Reports suggest skipper could miss rest of season

Chelsea fear skipper John Terry could be ruled out for the rest of the season, according to reports.

The England captain fractured three bones in his right foot in a challenge with Emmanuel Eboue during the 1-0 defeat by Arsenal at Emirates Stadium on 16th December.

source

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3020518,00.html

Back
Top Bottom