eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

Im only getting brightness with two white squares and it tells me to adjust it until they are both same colour. Which is bright white.
Dont know, will have a look later.
Dont worry about it.
Game isnt worth it really..
Will give a check when back home dude...i didn't mess with this option this year to be honest, recall it from pes 2020 and previous.

Just checked dude and it is still there
IMG_20210726_155722.jpg
IMG_20210726_155733.jpg
IMG_20210726_155704.jpg

Thats all I got in system settings
Maybe what Chris said. You have HDR or whatever enhancing HD?

Maybe your game is a special developers enhanced-boosted secret edition? And you have debug settings :P :D

Btw is the sentense " 1 and 2 are the same brightness" correct? Cause it sounds as Greeklish to me. :P

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I am not sure if this has been raised already in this thread. Since the latest DLC I have been struggling to use the directional pad (PS4) inside the formation menu screen. It seems like stuck and works well in other menus and games though. Did anybody experience the same, and if so how did you resolve it? Thanks in advance.

I replayed 2020 last night - if anybody is in two minds about picking up 2021 I would say definitely grab it now if you can. It's when you've been playing 2021 for a while and switch back that you realise how much tighter and responsive the ball control is. Collisions are much better too. I'd definitely recommend it if you like 2020.

Long post coming up!

So this looks like the final version we are going to have moving forwards. It isn't that bad at all and in fact I'm quite enjoying it. Its probably not as good as Data Pack 6 in my opinion but its pretty close. I thought I'd post some hints and tips of how to better get some longevity out of this game going forward, especially if you don't own a PC to mod stuff.

Im going to caveat this by saying I only play exhibition matches as I find the AI much better in this mode, and I tend to play in small snacks so as not to get bored.

Kits

Fortunately, Konamis decision to allow 3rd and fourth kits is a bit of a God send. Even if you can't edit licensed slots, most licensed teams with the exception of Roma, have at least one to two slots free allowing you to add updated kits which is what I'm doing now.

As you know this makes a big difference and allows you to keep things as fresh as possible. The other options like customising faces and stadiums are just enough to get by on. Of course you also have all the leagues and international teams, whether they will be in efootball going forward no one knows at the moment.

Top Tip: Save your large kit files for the teams you enjoy playing with the most. Ive kept large kits to about 10-15 so that I can have smaller kits on all the other slots.

AI skill level

If i were you I would put the skill level back down to professional. Reason? Well its the most natural of all the difficulty levels regarding AI. They make more mistakes and with team edits and using manual controls they will still punish you. I think my record v COM is something like 148 wins out of 486 matches on professional, in exhibiton. If you play on higher levels, well of course the AI will compensate by being more ruthless in every way, which means shortcuts and scripting is pushed up. Those goals from the ai of shot and turn middle of the goal are more prevalent at higher skill levels.

Camera

My preference is pitch side 0, 0, 7 angle.

Artificial Intelligence Improvements

Its not easy, but with a few tweaks I have definitely seen an improvement in the attacking AI, but it takes some editing to do so. A few people mentioned above about the stale AI, well that can be fixed with some adjustments. You have to first edit team tactics, you can use @klashman69 guide or your own.

Teams

try to give teams a good mix based of the way they play. Highly aggressive defensive teams for instance. Try playing some teams with advanced tactics empty (i.e no entering targets and swarm the box etc) and see if you prefer it. When they don't have those mapped to the advanced tactics they seem to be a bit more open with their game. You can also try fluid formations to mix it up a bit.

Players - Keepers

Keepers are pretty decent but theres a few problems that can be easily fixed with a few tweaks. Firstly and this is a preference, set all keepers as you edit to offensive. Why? Well I don't know a keeper that just stays on his line all the time, especially in a one on one situation. If you get through on goal or the AI does, the keeper being rooted to his line is unrealistic. Im not sure what Konami was thinking here with defensive keepers. They should really have stuck to the line in MOST situations but come off the line for one on one threats.

Abilities - keepers

You need to tweak the keepers abilities a bit. The main one is GK Clearance. A lot of stats by default here are usually in the 70-90 range, thats far too high. basically this stat gives the keeper the ability to push the ball out of danger, but its way to overpowered! Ive never seen a top keeper like Alisson push a shot out for a throw in at speed! So if its on 90 when someone shoots and the keeper palms it away it goes very fast and for miles.

Knock this down to about 40 on all keepers. You can have it slightly higher for the top keepers but you want realistic parrys. This also helps with goal scrambles and also allows other keeper animations to play out as they react to the bouncing ball.

Also reduce GK jumping slightly. Ive seen some keepers on 85+ jump nearly as high as a crossbar! You want them realistic.

Where you want your keepers to be at is to give them good awareness and reflexes so they can react, the balance of the jumping, reach and clearance will make them much more realistic and create much better moments in game.

Abilities - players

We all know the top players in this game have well rounded stats and player skills implemented. For each player they will have abilities/player skills/role and COM options to edit.

You don't really need to worry about the top players like Salah or Chiesa for example, Konami mapped their skills pretty well. Its the lower and mid teams that need the edits. Even if you use Pes Universe option files, lots of players have no role which renders them a bit defunct and one dimensional. So make sure players have roles.

Then make sure you go through the mid tier and low tier teams and give them some standouts. For example teams like Lech Poznan, I made sure I edited the keeper first, gave them one solid CB with some skills and traits ticked, made sure wingers had skill abilities like pinpoint crossing etc, forwards higher kicking power and skills like heading and long distance shooting. basically if you can make 4-5 players on each team have some unique abilities you will see the AI come to life.

The best example I can give is when I played Lech Poznan with Liverpool. I have Thiago, Salah, Mane and VDV for example and they all have standout skills as well as high ability stats. Poznan had nothing in their team, no roles and no skills, so they were pretty boring and one dimensional with their only threat coming from basic AI attack patterns.

After editing Poznan and giving players roles and skills, they were suddenly TRYING different things. They had an attacking midfielder that I gave creative playmaker too and without boosting their stats I gave him some skills such as weighted pass and outside curler and low trajectory lob. he was trying different types of through ball from different angles afterwards. They didn't always come off but he kept me guessing. Having a beefed up centre back, whilst not editing his abilities and giving him skills like fighting spirit and heading and man marking made him a lot more aware of my attackers and i had to think of ways to exploit him.

Do this and you will see teams come to life. Experiment with one team in exhibition mode and try it out!

Controls

If you can try and play with passing assistance off, advanced through balls and alternate between manual and basic shooting depending on your mood.

I noticed that playing on manual shooting brings out more animations of the keepers because the shooting is not on a fixed trajectory. @The_Knight has a great video on this, check it out. You'll also notice that the player shooting skills come to life in this mode more often like rising shots and dipping shots.

If you want to stick to basic you can because it does have the manual option build in too if you want to switch it up.

Advanced through balls are a must. You can pull off some sweet moves and open up some great opportunities with this but you can also mess up, it takes quite a bit of practice. For those brave enough for a further challenge try turning off the reticle.

And thats it! I've left a selection of recent goals I've scored and honestly, I've seen the Ai score some nice ones too, give it a try and unlock the potential with some of the editing tips here and let me know if you think it makes a difference to you - it will trust me!

Heres some manual goals

Great post @Antoine thank you for that!

Personally I also edited all keepers to offensive in a league/cup I played and I'd also recommend anyone to do this!
But interesting idea to also decrease their clearing stat - I wonder if one could do similar to jumping stat (if there is any) to reduce "the superman save":THINK:
Maybe I'll also try to mess around with some of the greatest player's stats like speed and inertia, since i find their movements too fast most of the time. Any perspectives on this are most welcome!

I'll definately try to add skills for some of the lesser known players as well which sounds awesome.
We might as well put a lot of editing time and love into this, as it seems to be the one we'll be playing for a long while!

Personally though, I prefer 2020 over 2021 so I'm a bit worried if kits will be available from modders/creators this year - and even more so in the years to come.

Does anyone know if it's possible to install/import kits made for 2021 into 2020 on a PS4/PS5?

Edit: and does anyone know of a good website to get an overview of transfers since (incl.) summer 2020?

Great post @Antoine thank you for that!

Personally I also edited all keepers to offensive in a league/cup I played and I'd also recommend anyone to do this!
But interesting idea to also decrease their clearing stat - I wonder if one could do similar to jumping stat (if there is any) to reduce "the superman save":THINK:
Maybe I'll also try to mess around with some of the greatest player's stats like speed and inertia, since i find their movements too fast most of the time. Any perspectives on this are most welcome!

I'll definately try to add skills for some of the lesser known players as well which sounds awesome.
We might as well put a lot of editing time and love into this, as it seems to be the one we'll be playing for a long while!

Personally though, I prefer 2020 over 2021 so I'm a bit worried if kits will be available from modders/creators this year - and even more so in the years to come.

Does anyone know if it's possible to install/import kits made for 2021 into 2020 on a PS4/PS5?

Edit: and does anyone know of a good website to get an overview of transfers since (incl.) summer 2020?
Yes, it is possible.
It is exactly the same template.

In the light of the recent events, I'd be vaguely tempted to pick it. Last chapter of the saga.. lot of mods, that maybe could improve it even further in the future since this game will probably be where all the focus will go through in the next future..

Problem is that I'll probably end up not liking it all the same and I'm fully aware of it lol.

I found myself enjoying PES 2021 again on my PS4/PS5, specially after experiencing the soulless, mannequin showcase from the competition.

My settings are now:

- FUMA, 15 min games, on Superstar, using Stadium camera 5-1-9

And another craziness I am trying is, to play without player names on HUD. It's amazing how I can still recognize which player I am using.

Edit: Using default game speed

Last edited:
I found myself enjoying PES 2021 again on my PS4/PS5, specially after experiencing the soulless, mannequin showcase from the competition.
Strange, I went back to the other game after experiencing similar feelings from PES 20-21. Imo PES 2018 and FIFA16 put both recent football games to shame.

Last edited:
So I downloaded seasonal update, just to keep it as a last full game released by Konami. I know its not great, but just wanted to have it.
Did option file, did the tactics and played few matches.
Not gonna go into gameplay and AI, coz most peeps here knows what I think about it.

But I have a question - how the hell do you adjust this game, graphically, on console? I recently bought Samsung 4k QLED TV. The whole game is so bright that its uncomfortable to play. And when I go to brightness settings (which btw is the only thing I can change after starting the game... where the hell are contrast settings??) and lower them down - colours are getting saturated. This is the only game that really is an eye sore to play since I got the TV.. da fuck?

LOL
I did the same thing yesterday night, but on PC.
Spent like 4 hours downloading PES 2021 from Steam + all the mods from Evo-Web.
But it's just impossible to enjoy this game for me. It's such a weird one.
Sad to see this was Konami's last attempt. Such a poor effort.

It's been so long since I enjoyed a football game. I should give up.

I've been enjoying pes 2021 a lot recently.
By far the best PES so far imo.

Been scoring different kind of goals on ML.
It's still shitty on coop online tho. People tend to play in a more robotic way than the AI at times

Thats all I got in system settings

I have a Samsung qled. As suggested by others, it is a HDR issue. That's why you only have these two white boxes.

You need to close the game down, turn off hdr and the reload game. You will then have both bars, although your colours should look better anyway as this is a pes issue with hdr.

In short, since pes 20, you really are better playing on a Samsung qled with hdr off completely.

I've noticed hdr causes input delay with pes and fifa anyway, even with a better hdmi cable...

By far the best PES so far imo.

Been scoring different kind of goals on ML.
It's still shitty on coop online tho. People tend to play in a more robotic way than the AI at times

I agree, PES 2021 is the one I've played the most since the PS2 days.

I don't get how some people find enjoyment out of playing PES in recent years. Since at least PES19, imo the franchise has been a lacklustre affair in offline. The ai is so generic and dull.

You only have to go back as far as PES2018 to experience the creativity and player individually that once existed in the game. Anyone who has any doubts just install PES18 and watch a CPU vs CPU exhibition and prepare for some organic ai gameplay that is missing from PES 20 & 21

By far the best PES so far imo

Agree. On the PC with all the add-ons and patches and @Holland gp it plays a decent enough game in ML. It still has its utterly infuriating moments (scripted goals, refs, IRL shitty teams and players playing out of their league when on the COMs side) but I had this with every version of PES and finally learned to accept it. It's great to have this as a backup should they really mess their new game up as much as everyone here seems to expect.

Also seemed to have found a way to battle adaptive AI. Every time you save your ML career you need to save into an empty slot. Maybe it's placebo, but I have the feeling the COM plays completely different (less aggressive, less precise, more 'realistic'). Perhaps someone can try out and share their impressions.

I don't get how some people find enjoyment out of playing PES in recent years. Since at least PES19, imo the franchise has been a lacklustre affair in offline. The ai is so generic and dull.

You only have to go back as far as PES2018 to experience the creativity and player individually that once existed in the game. Anyone who has any doubts just install PES18 and watch a CPU vs CPU exhibition and prepare for some organic ai gameplay that is missing from PES 20 & 21
100% even tho I didnt like lack of fouls and physicality on 18 - AI was on another level in compare to all that came after.
I remember Hamsik terrorising me in Master League. It was the last time when I felt any level of respect when seeing a good AI player on the pitch

Strange, I went back to the other game after experiencing similar feelings from PES 20-21. Imo PES 2018 and FIFA16 put both recent football games to shame.
I think it’s because I am in acceptance stage. There is nothing to look for in the next 6 months regarding offline modes on eFootball and the competition is atrocious right now.

I am starting to look at the game as what it is, and not how as better it could be.

In my opinion, the last 2 to 3 updates to pes2021 brought it to a bad shape. I enjoyed 2020 and the beginning of 2021. Not anymore. Reinstalled 2017 and 2018 (and to some extent 2019) they all are superior games judging everything now.

I've still got PES21 on PS4 at DP2 and it plays really well. It has its issues and I'd gladly take some of the elements of the AI from 17 and 18 to improve it but using FUMA, it's the most sim-like football game I've played.

However, I also have it on PC at DP7 and it's a crock of shit. The differences between the two may be small but they are critical.

To anyone on PS4 who has it at DP7 and has grown to dislike it, it might be worth going back to vanilla.

Pes 17,18 &19 all have their faults but imo next to PES 20 and 21 they feel like masterpieces. Since the introduction of the “eFootball” brand the game has lost its identity. The devs definitely made offline modes less appealing to encourage gamers to play Myclub. I can honestly see Konami continuing this trend in the next eFootball game.

I don't know, this is how I will always remember the last PES years:

17: The last decent one, shame about all the ML issues.
18: The one you can string together 50 backheel passes in a row.
19: The one with the AI that only did low crosses.
20: The one with AI players totally unaware of the ball.
21: Same as 20, a season update.

All in all, hot garbage year after year. Terrible rigid tactics and positioning, a constant for all of them. No wonder it's dead...

Last edited:
Pes 17,18 &19 all have their faults but imo next to PES 20 and 21 they feel like masterpieces. Since the introduction of the “eFootball” brand the game has lost its identity. The devs definitely made offline modes less appealing to encourage gamers to play Myclub. I can honestly see Konami continuing this trend in the next eFootball game.

I thought 19 was the cut off point personally. I can tell very little difference between 19, 20 and 21. They all follow the same template and all three are awful in my opinion.

19 was definitely the turning point for the AI - 18 had my favourite AI, it could be very creative and imaginative; 19 was like they deleted the AI and started again from scratch, with one or two basic attacking moves, repeated endlessly - the worst AI in any PES.

With 20/21, they got the pace, physics and manual passing better than ever. It just needed the AI from 17 & 18 and it would be a good game they could have built on. Instead, we get eFootball 1-on-1.

I thought 19 was the cut off point personally. I can tell very little difference between 19, 20 and 21. They all follow the same template and all three are awful in my opinion.
Pes19 is definitely not the same as 20/21 imo. Admittedly it was transitioning into what we got in eFootball but the ai still had an organic and creative feel but at lesser extent compared to 17 and 18

Pes19 is definitely not the same as 20/21 imo. Admittedly it was transitioning into what we got in eFootball but the ai still had an organic and creative feel but at lesser extent compared to 17 and 18
Funnily enough I’m playing PES 2019 again and enjoying it after consulting @rockstrongo a few days ago (admittedly Rock did say that PES 2018 is slightly better but I couldn’t resist the graphics of 2019 plus I already own it since I bought it on PlayStation Store around it’s release.)

PES 2019 plays a far better game than PES 2020 and 2021, in my opinion of course.

I’ve got a Milan master league save and have played around 8 matches and only seen the CPU cutback goal a few times. The CPU has also scored some very interesting goals and the teams play in a far more varied manner than PES 2020/2021.

On Data Pack 6.0 (the latest update before they turned servers off for PES 2019) it plays a nice game of football. It looks gorgeous at times as well. GREEN pitches with nice textures, not the horrible yellow monstrosities we get in the newest games.

Also, I’ve downloaded an All-in-One option file made by Nicoultras (sp?) which works with Data Pack 6.0 so it doesn’t matter that servers are off in regards to squads and rosters.

PES 2019 is very challenging in Superstar which is what I’m after. And the crowds actually sing football songs! Why are the crowds so quiet in 2020 and 2021?

The last two games are so bad I just don’t know what Konami were thinking.

Edit: I was too hasty with this post. Many of the issues with PES 2020 and 2021 are apparent here. The AI in this game is horrible at times.

Last edited:
Funnily enough I’m playing PES 2019 again and enjoying it after consulting @rockstrongo a few days ago (admittedly Rock did say that PES 2018 is slightly better but I couldn’t resist the graphics of 2019 plus I already own it since I bought it on PlayStation Store around it’s release.)

PES 2019 plays a far better game than PES 2020 and 2021, in my opinion of course.

I’ve got a Milan master league save and have played around 8 matches and only seen the CPU cutback goal a few times. The CPU has also scored some very interesting goals and the teams play in a far more varied manner than PES 2020/2021.

On Data Pack 6.0 (the latest update before they turned servers off for PES 2019) it plays a nice game of football. It looks gorgeous at times as well. GREEN pitches with nice textures, not the horrible yellow monstrosities we get in the newest games.

Also, I’ve downloaded an All-in-One option file made by Nicoultras (sp?) which works with Data Pack 6.0 so it doesn’t matter that servers are off in regards to squads and rosters.

PES 2019 is very challenging in Superstar which is what I’m after. And the crowds actually sing football songs! Why are the crowds so quiet in 2020 and 2021?

Colour wise, 2019 looks stunning. The San Siro especially. Might replay it tomorrow.

Does the option file update squads with current players too?

Back
Top Bottom