eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

I finally found a solution to difficulty problem. I play legend against teams on my star level or stronger ( u can check how many stars teams have on team information menu of master league) and i play ss with weaker teams.. that balances scripting handicapping... try that .. if you play top player make it ss for even and stronger teams...
For faster, you can chech opponent's stars on "Schedule" tab.

I moved mid season to Ajax and from 1 until 17 January that i am now, nobody told me anything about teams objectives.
Ok it is Ajax , it is obvious that Eredivisie is the target, but there is nowhere to find about.
Only the cliché interview on 1st of January, asking me how do i want my players to play: you know the usual no effect " i want to see sportsmanship" answer. ..
I had objectives set just before or after that interview you talk about.
You sit with all the big heads and your 'assistant' is recommending certain objective. You can disagree and go higher or lower, but as far as I know - even if you say your team will be there to pick flowers - they will be happy with that, coz apparently - "you MUST have a plan".
After that talk - I dont know where to find objectives. No one talked to me for the rest of the season.

And those cutscenes are headwrecking. They are moving their lips for ages without any sound before you can actually pick some option..

As for the removed features - its a dreadful situation, really is.
One thing I always used to love to check were overall goals in the whole career. When player was retiring or I was selling him after many years - I used to always check his total contribution.
Now you can go as far as two seasons and its now even combined.

I know I sound quite negative lately, but something just broke when I started this serie A save and saw that there is literally no difference to fake, edited league..

I had objectives set just before or after that interview you talk about.
You sit with all the big heads and your 'assistant' is recommending certain objective. You can disagree and go higher or lower, but as far as I know - even if you say your team will be there to pick flowers - they will be happy with that, coz apparently - "you MUST have a plan".
After that talk - I dont know where to find objectives. No one talked to me for the rest of the season.

And those cutscenes are headwrecking. They are moving their lips for ages without any sound before you can actually pick some option..

As for the removed features - its a dreadful situation, really is.
One thing I always used to love to check were overall goals in the whole career. When player was retiring or I was selling him after many years - I used to always check his total contribution.
Now you can go as far as two seasons and its now even combined.

I know I sound quite negative lately, but something just broke when I started this serie A save and saw that there is literally no difference to fake, edited league..
If you go to the first image below the "Next" button, the one left from the central newsfeed, where usually your manager avatar is displayed, or more simple you go to the advanve/nextday option, you press down/X and you advance to a screen that contains all the dialogues/chapters and the BS done during season.
There if you are brave enough and you find the dialogue about season, usually it is chapter 1 and you press L1/R1 it explains you the effect of your choise, so to the season objectives, among the ugly text, there is somewhere the objective you chase back then.
It is a little bit unergonomic i would say.

If you go to the first image below the "Next" button, the one left from the central newsfeed, where usually your manager avatar is displayed, or more simple you go to the advanve/nextday option, you press down/X and you advance to a screen that contains all the dialogues/chapters and the BS done during season.
There if you are brave enough and you find the dialogue about season, usually it is chapter 1 and you press L1/R1 it explains you the effect of your choise, so to the season objectives, among the ugly text, there is somewhere the objective you chase back then.
It is a little bit unergonomic i would say.
Hold on..
I thought you didnt know where to find it.. :LOL:
I remembered mine. There is so little depth in ML that even with my little brain Im able to remember it all.. :LOL:
But if you find a way to check overall stats from the whole players career - give me a shout. ;)

Hold on..
I thought you didnt know where to find it.. :LOL:
I remembered mine. There is so little depth in ML that even with my little brain Im able to remember it all.. :LOL:
But if you find a way to check overall stats from the whole players career - give me a shout. ;)
No, i know. I meant i went to Ajax on January, passed the bloody interview AND the meeting you mentioned right after DID NOT happen. The one everyone is playing with a phony/tablet/laptop.
Then i went to the menu told above with the crap and it was empty, except for my stupid sportsmanship play style.
I am playing blindly now, dont know the objectives.
It is not a "bug" actually, it is just half-arsed implementation.

@Emroth forgot to mention you last quote. No tgere is not something like this.
The ideal after 2018 which had kind of halfdecent stats tracking, would be to add a profile page to every player like FM, which would include all season results and individual titles like golden boots, Best player of europe/world nominations etc..
But instead of this we regressed more the ladt years. You cant check the number if international CAps anymore, We cant chech the teamrole in the first player page in ML menu, you need to skip 7 tabs now. We can't even check who is retiring in the end of season. You must browse the player status menu and surf through other useless info like who is on loan who goes out next transfer, information that you already can find from other menu and just do things more complicated .

Last edited:
I finally found a solution to difficulty problem. I play legend against teams on my star level or stronger ( u can check how many stars teams have on team information menu of master league) and i play ss with weaker teams.. that balances scripting handicapping... try that .. if you play top player make it ss for even and stronger teams...

I am in the same trap. While Superstar is way to forgiving in midfield and CPU attacking sometimes, Legend has it all but it is really extremely hard to score on full manual due to the stats boost.

I mapped the pressing button to no mans land (i don't use it anymore) , so defending is more about timing than pressing X now. This really helped to balance the difficulty level somewhere in between Superstar and Legend.

Last edited:
I am in the same trap. While Superstar is way to forgiving in midfield and CPU attacking sometimes, Legend has it all but it is really extremely hard to score on full manual due to the stats boost.

I mapped the pressing button to no mans land (i don't use it anymore) , so defending is more about timing than pressing X now. This really helped to balance the difficulty level somewhere in between Superstar and Legend.

About the pressing, after moving to the other game and seeing how they defend it actually takes skill, in PES it had been so automated with people online run back and hold teammate press to do ALL defending and effectively I struggled to adapt to FIFA's manual defending and now love it so much couldn't bear to go back to the hand holding land of PES online.

online is a different beast, it's not about the game mechanics but the online average player.

every ML session i have, i end it by playing 1 or 2 online division matches.
I use to play as Russia or Zenit, and obviously play every time against 5* teams. If you're patient enough, you can make they pay for pressing whoreness. It's very easy to give up and start playing their same style (fowrard pass every time, run like madman, press press press, etc) but if you manage to stay on your plan, it tends to be very satisfying.

Wow this ML is a different beast.
Havent played ml since 2017.

As sheff utd, on ss, first 9 matches, no win, no goals.
Destroyed by liverpool 5-0. Just wanted to end.

Dropped to tp, moved my attack down centre and possession-I dont have any good players so I now use numbers to build slow, steady attacks, like conte's italy in that world cup whenever it was...

Starting to win games 1-0. Have won 3 in a row. Much more enjoyable on tp.

Ss felt so constrained. It felt weighed down by gravity and my players were almost incapable of anything.

I know ML can start like this and maybe the combination of rubbish players and early ML was too much for me. But it didnt feel right at all.
Maybe I've just grown soft on exhibition matches..

Dropped to tp, moved my attack down centre and possession-I dont have any good players so I now use numbers to build slow, steady attacks, like conte's italy in that world cup whenever it was...

Ss felt so constrained. It felt weighed down by gravity and my players were almost incapable of anything.

I know ML can start like this and maybe the combination of rubbish players and early ML was too much for me. But it didnt feel right at all.
Top Player is good at first but you’ll be winning games too easily after a while.

There’s no balance in PES yet again this year. Already by November I’m bored with it. Happens every year, dunno why I expect anything different - I’m mad.

I recently tried something many people have suggested here before, Changing my Defense settings from: All out Defense/ Conservative, To front line pressure/ Aggressive . It really created a much much more compact wall of defense compared to my previous settings It was almost game changer for me. Something works very wrong about all-out-defense and conservative in the latest games, or someone at KONAMi has very distorted view about how it should work, or how it works in real life, or even how it used to work "well" pre-pes2018.

Mark here that i am super conservative with such changes and i used to use these DEFENSE instructions since PES-2016. It was just this year that i dared to try the different settings.

In the same mentality, i am also suspicious from years ago, but this year ready to try a change on attacking setting, counter-attack. I believe it also does not work as it should be. Plus the game is structured to favor possession game with many short passes :x:.

Top Player is good at first but you’ll be winning games too easily after a while.

There’s no balance in PES yet again this year. Already by November I’m bored with it. Happens every year, dunno why I expect anything different - I’m mad.

I find this true. Winning Spanish supercopa in only my seacond season vs Barcelona as Rayo Vallecano in SS (PA1), not sure if i had enjoyed it or not.

Maybe i should try again from the bottom of any second division with hard transfer settings, Top Player and PA0?
I don't want to punish myself, but instead challenge me

I recently tried something many people have suggested here before, Changing my Defense settings from: All out Defense/ Conservative, To front line pressure/ Aggressive . It really created a much much more compact wall of defense compared to my previous settings It was almost game changer for me. Something works very wrong about all-out-defense and conservative in the latest games, or someone at KONAMi has very distorted view about how it should work, or how it works in real life, or even how it used to work "well" pre-pes2018.

Mark here that i am super conservative with such changes and i used to use these DEFENSE instructions since PES-2016. It was just this year that i dared to try the different settings.

In the same mentality, i am also suspicious from years ago, but this year ready to try a change on attacking setting, counter-attack. I believe it also does not work as it should be. Plus the game is structured to favor possession game with many short passes :x:.

I think all out defence and aggressive work together. Its front line and conservative that can leave you too vulnerable in certain games, I agree.

I changed my sheff utd tactics exactly as you said (I didnt want to as I like to stay true to the real life team) and front line aggressive gave me far more contact with the opposition.
I liked sitting back but on ss at key moments around edge of box, the cpu seems to disable your player just when you're planning to make a key last minute interception or lunge...doesnt happen in exhibition...

I was really struggling with wide short pass counter attack. I just couldn't build an attack, mainly as i dont have the players for it.

But even with liverpool in exhibition mode, using counter attack, your teammates dont time their runs correctly so they're either too far ahead or too far behind, normally too far ahead.

I think long counter can work, with palace for instance, but short pass, younreally nedd to get your attackingbdtarting positions right.

I'm hoping i can bridge the difficulty gap as ss is a delight for me in exhibition mode, been touring the world playing with teams and really enjoy it.

I think league mode might be the answer. It'll mean no transfers but there's still the stakes attached to winning or losing. I'll give this a season and see how it works out.

It's that strangled feeling of ss that I find most intolerable.

It does feel a pretty empty experience though, ml. Those weird cut scenes actually emphasise the hollowness which I doubt was konami's intention.

For me professional is perfect using fuma in my ML. Lost a couple of matches to the big ones and won some against equal teams (draws in between)!
Currently there is no need for me to up the difficulty.

Very pleased for you. I'm enjoying this pes so much I think a manual period in the new year may be on the cards for me.
Fell in love with manual in pes 2018 but back then the player individuality was so poor that manual practically turned the game into clone-ball.

I think all out defence and aggressive work together. Its front line and conservative that can leave you too vulnerable in certain games, I agree.

I changed my sheff utd tactics exactly as you said (I didnt want to as I like to stay true to the real life team) and front line aggressive gave me far more contact with the opposition.
I liked sitting back but on ss at key moments around edge of box, the cpu seems to disable your player just when you're planning to make a key last minute interception or lunge...doesnt happen in exhibition...

I was really struggling with wide short pass counter attack. I just couldn't build an attack, mainly as i dont have the players for it.

But even with liverpool in exhibition mode, using counter attack, your teammates dont time their runs correctly so they're either too far ahead or too far behind, normally too far ahead.

I think long counter can work, with palace for instance, but short pass, younreally nedd to get your attackingbdtarting positions right.
I have almost 99% the same mentality and instructions like you. Wide works ok for me, the only problem is my Wingers are being nerfed in speed terms usually. When the CPU AI lets them play according to their stats, they are ok. I am a wing/side player in every pes i think.
Now about short pass, i have short pass too, cause in long passing, i do not trust my player's long passing ability. But i think , cause i have player support on 5, it does not work as it should to. On the other hand messing with player support, i don't remember now if it works as it is displayed on gameplan sheet, or inverted, tends to make player be to close the one to the other, abandoning their original positions, or being two players in the same square and leaving the field without movement, or having it to be distant each other, and it denies the purpose of short passing.
Import to the equitation of all the above and the advanced tactics, like gegenpress or tiki-taka and you take a complete madness!! :P :P

I have almost 99% the same mentality and instructions like you. Wide works ok for me, the only problem is my Wingers are being nerfed in speed terms usually. When the CPU AI lets them play according to their stats, they are ok. I am a wing/side player in every pes i think.
Now about short pass, i have short pass too, cause in long passing, i do not trust my player's long passing ability. But i think , cause i have player support on 5, it does not work as it should to. On the other hand messing with player support, i don't remember now if it works as it is displayed on gameplan sheet, or inverted, tends to make player be to close the one to the other, abandoning their original positions, or being two players in the same square and leaving the field without movement, or having it to be distant each other, and it denies the purpose of short passing.
Import to the equitation of all the above and the advanced tactics, like gegenpress or tiki-taka and you take a complete madness!! :P :P

Remember tactics in pes 10 and 11? Why can't we just have that back...

Remember tactics in pes 10 and 11? Why can't we just have that back...
The ideal would be to have all the options from pes 3 until now, individual arrows from ps2 era, 2010 slider intructions, 2011 basketball-like strategy settings, 2013 sliders, and the current era intructions and advanced ones. I know it becomes FM after a while, but all have a purpose.

Something else i noticed today. AS i usually coached 3*-3,5* clubs on ML until now. Today i moved to Ajax due to an electricity black-out yesterday night, that caused me to fail to qualify to EL stage of 32 (short-long story). For the first time i control a 4,5* teams, and i have to say by the first two matches i played, january of 2021, i did not like the general game tempo, as match as i liked the pace of the matches with my low 3* teams. It was more rushed i think. If it stays like this , i will stay on Ajax only 6 months and move on a 2nd divison team next summer (2021).

Maybe i should try again from the bottom of any second division with hard transfer settings, Top Player and PA0?
I don't want to punish myself, but instead challenge me
This is essentially what I do. The worst team as possible. I even made my Random DB just because I didn't want to have the same rubbish team each time and have different players being the best and less obvious who the great regens will be.

After a few seasons it still gets a little too easy. But once it's no longer fun, add a new transfer restriction on yourself (like only players from the nation of the league or something similar.

This is essentially what I do. The worst team as possible. I even made my Random DB just because I didn't want to have the same rubbish team each time and have different players being the best and less obvious who the great regens will be.

After a few seasons it still gets a little too easy. But once it's no longer fun, add a new transfer restriction on yourself (like only players from the nation of the league or something similar.

I'm a liverpool fan of 3 decades and yet I can never bring myself to play as them in an ML. Theres just zero joy in it. Glad I'm not the only one.
Theres always a little part of me that feels a traitor and then gets very queasy when I end up playing against liverpool with my ML team!!
Especially now that their home is the rose park stadium. Its both like anfield from gameplay cam and yet not. It all ends up feeling a little twilight zone.

Which got me thinking...why in gods name will konami not get the grounds for serie a or ligue 1 or erdevisie? Imagine how much better it would be running an ML through just one complete league.
And all those grounds could be used for the othe leagues.
Or why not look at the 60 grounds from those leagues, look at the 10 most common (but different) designs and give us 10 generic stadiums based on them?
We can then use them across league.
It's so easy.

I end up mixing up turf patterns and adjusting the camera for each match to try and create the illusion of being at different ground. But its 2020 near enough. Why the hell am I doing this?
It feels like something i wouldve done playing on my damn mega drive.

Barely played since the last update but after a few hours tonight how good is the crossing since the last update. Night n day difference now and headers are bloody excellent so much variety. Wish we would see just a tad more diving headers though.

Did I read someone say that sometimes this game boots up and plays like a different game?
Im on PC and last night I got in and played a CL game as Juve V Madrid. I was 2-0 down from first leg (at home) so needed a good game. I won 2-0 and it was a great game. Could've won it in extra time but hit post and then lost on pens. I loved the game. It played amazingly.

Then before I went a bed I loaded it up again and every game I played was horrible. It was way too fast, the AI were all over the place - it played like a totally different game to the game I have been playing for last few weeks. I tried CL, WC, Exhibition etc and they all played totally different to earlier in the day. Really odd.

Something that' been annoying me lately, the very 'black and white' AI.
What I mean is that in PES there is only attack, or defend, no in between, no situational awareness or context awareness, players only ever take up the attacking formation, or defending one, there is no intelligence to act upon whats happening in game.

in the example below I'm having wave after wave of attack, creating numerous chances on goal, but the second I lose possession, even though its in the COM's penalty box, my players then just think 'Out of possession' and immediately sprint away from the ball to take up their defensive positions, in real life the team would have pressed from the front and tried to win the ball back as it was so high up the pitch to maintain the attack.

I'm not using fluid formation or anything.

Annoying.

Do you have your defense set to deep? Also to help mitigate this (I don't see this as a huge issue) is I use 2nd man press so I have at least two forwards are always pressing the defenders - results in the AI making a mistake or force them long

I see this pretty often from the ai, even with Klashman's tactics. In situations with loose balls, when my player is getting his tiptoe first on the ball, the opponent ai controlled player immediately turns away and runs in his "defending position" instead of pressing my player.

I often use 2nd man press to pressure the COm too, and they do make mistakes but I'm talking in a general/normal sense, this is weird behaviour, its on or off, black or white, no inbetween, attack or defend, no 'attack and be mindful of winning the ball back'

The more I play ML, however much I'm enjoying it, the more I feel I'm playing a ring-fenced version of pes 2020. Like I'm stuck in a 'narrow corridor' of the wider game.
The sheer freedom and breadth of gameplay of exhibition matched just doesnt exist in ML. It feels rubber-banded.

I keep telling myself it's because I'm playing with the same team every game but I dont think it is.

And the player switching. I get what people mean now. Its constant. How many goals have I been denied because it wouldnt switch to the right player.
And this is on tp.

Back
Top Bottom