• FIFA (PS3,Xbox360 era)

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • FIFA (PS4 & PS5 era)

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • WE9LE

Votes: 18 13.4%

• Total voters
Poll closes in 7 days

Let me tell you this, you have to specify every FIFA game instead of doing it as PS3 era, PS4 era, etc. It's unfair to specify every/most PES games only in the voting list. And also, if you really like something like a FIFA 16, how could you vote for FIFA (PS4 and PS5 Era) since it has the majority of worse FIFAs and a few good games like 16, 17, 19, etc? I mean how does that make sense? Either specify the games or do the same with PES. So that it would be fair. I mean, I would love to vote for FIFA 16, but I wouldn't vote for FIFA (PS4 and PS5 era) as a whole, and that's why you can see there weren't many votes for that category. You have already given the PES games all the advantage in this matter. No offence, just my two cents. Agree with me? Good. Disagree with me? Okay, no problem. But it is what it is...

Let me tell you this, you have to specify every FIFA game instead of doing it as PS3 era, PS4 era, etc. It's unfair to specify every/most PES games only in the voting list. And also, if you really like something like a FIFA 16, how could you vote for FIFA (PS4 and PS5 Era) since it has the majority of worse FIFAs and a few good games like 16, 17, 19, etc? I mean how does that make sense? Either specify the games or do the same with PES. So that it would be fair. I mean, I would love to vote for FIFA 16, but I wouldn't vote for FIFA (PS4 and PS5 era) as a whole, and that's why you can see there weren't many votes for that category. You have already given the PES games all the advantage in this matter. No offence, just my two cents. Agree with me? Good. Disagree with me? Okay, no problem. But it is what it is...
It’s been explained previously in the post a few times. If FIFA had its own slot for every game it would split the votes for FIFA meaning they would have even less votes than they already have. Plus you have multiple votes so you can vote every era of FIFA if you like! Also there’s limited voting slots. It was supposed to be just to find out what football games people like and a bit of fun but in my naivety I forgot that this was the internet. No offence taken but I’m seriously past caring now.

I appreciate your point. I kind of thought people would just use their common sense when casting a vote. I didn’t think I’d have to type the words “with no mods” on every option. Besides, although it’s interesting to find out which football games people like it’s just a bit of fun really.

Indeed this is my hang up. I blame the WEPES Reddit sub - there's an obscene amount of love for 2021 on there and most people don't realise it's only because they've modded the game into oblivion!

One of the most fulfilling football game I ever played is not even there :) It's Viva Football/Soccer, you could go from 1958 World Cup to 1998, and it had all the national teams in the world for all those WCs including Qualifying phase, with football rules evolving as you would go through (like cards, subs, etc..) back in 1998 that was mindblowing. I only wish they made a "next gen" version of it, with PES 2021 game engine that would more than suffice ;)

Indeed this is my hang up. I blame the WEPES Reddit sub - there's an obscene amount of love for 2021 on there and most people don't realise it's only because they've modded the game into oblivion!
well that's basically it, I only play it because of the World Cup mods and ISS 97/98. For me Fifa 98 RTWC was the GOAT

One of the most fulfilling football game I ever played is not even there :) It's Viva Football/Soccer, you could go from 1958 World Cup to 1998, and it had all the national teams in the world for all those WCs including Qualifying phase, with football rules evolving as you would go through (like cards, subs, etc..) back in 1998 that was mindblowing. I only wish they made a "next gen" version of it, with PES 2021 game engine that would more than suffice ;)

I don’t think 1 vote from you for this game would have made a difference to the poll but thanks for your insight.

Damn, it looks sick! I never heard about that game but I checked some YouTube gameplay videos and it looks stunning for the time. I guess it looks more developed than Fifa then and on par with PES. It's a bit of a shame that this series was not further developed.

And it makes me wonder, how in the current time, when games become so so complex, expensive, big devs teams etc. no one was even close to get that many tournaments and qualifiers as as this "old" Viva Football game.

Btw. I found this on Wiki and I think it's a brilliant idea that every football game now should have available.
There was no commentary in the game, with the game instead featuring an 'PlayerChat audio engine' in which the players shout phrases such as "To me!" and "Through ball".[6] The language of the player's speech can be altered in options which included the chance for the players to speak in their own native language.[5]

Damn, it looks sick! I never heard about that game but I checked some YouTube gameplay videos and it looks stunning for the time. I guess it looks more developed than Fifa then and on par with PES. It's a bit of a shame that this series was not further developed.

And it makes me wonder, how in the current time, when games become so so complex, expensive, big devs teams etc. no one was even close to get that many tournaments and qualifiers as as this "old" Viva Football game.

Btw. I found this on Wiki and I think it's a brilliant idea that every football game now should have available.
There was no commentary in the game, with the game instead featuring an 'PlayerChat audio engine' in which the players shout phrases such as "To me!" and "Through ball".[6] The language of the player's speech can be altered in options which included the chance for the players to speak in their own native language.[5]
True, it's such a great idea so not sure why the likes of 2K or EA Games never picked up on this, they just needed to use their own game engine and enable some functions. I remember for example in the first WC 1958 you would play in Black&White filter, and then you would move a kind of sepia England 66 or 70's. There were these little details that set this game apart. The only downside was the gameplay, it looks nice but was very hard to keep the ball and scoring, was like Sensible World Soccer but in 3D. FIFA 98 was much more pleasant imho but the ideia was unique. The game was developed by a now defunct Virgin Games I think. FIFA 18 or 19 kind of picked on the idea of old football where you would play with in England league in the 60's I think with in a old stadium and very muddy pitch but that was part of that single player mode they had.

Viva Football was/is a great concept. It's a shame it wasn't taken further. It had some real talent behind it in terms of research and the lead designer was the legendary Simon Humber. You can't really do much with that amazing database, sadly. And I think the gameplay is only okay at best.

As an aside, the Japanese cover is about as good as it gets:

20240710_121408.jpg

if i can give some advices, the beauty of pes 21 (obiouvsly with mods) and the reason why i voted it as the best football game ever created belongs to realism , not only in faces, stadiums, adboards, graphics etc, but also in the gameplay. i use virtuared 8.4 with UML installed and as gameplay i use holland real pes 3, but the thing that make me enjoy the gameplay of my pes so much are the tactics and playstyles. try to play a real game 25 mins legend (with holland gameplay) but in edit mode you modify the tactics of both team, when in possession movements, when defending settings, change the playstyles of your players and adapt them to the style of game you want to recreate.... the possibilities are limitless, that s the beauty of pes

Viva Football was/is a great concept. It's a shame it wasn't taken further. It had some real talent behind it in terms of research and the lead designer was the legendary Simon Humber. You can't really do much with that amazing database, sadly. And I think the gameplay is only okay at best.

View attachment 290137
When you say "you can't really do much with that amazing database" what do you mean? You're talking about licenses? What if someone could purchase the rights to the old game? I'm asking out of ignorance but I haven't ruled out making this a reality, I just need to win a massive jackpot and hire the right team 😂. Jokes aside, is one of my life goals.

I don't really know the team behind, I had (still have) the Portuguese version which has the Portuguese national team picture of 1998, which never managed to get qualified for the WC98 anyway 😜

And yeah, the gameplay even for the time, was lacking at best.

It reminds me classic patch for FIFA 14, I guess it's kinda same concept :)
Yes, the idea of Classic Patch 14 or 16 is there but it lacks that functionality of a full game. One other great thing with Viva Football was that you could select which players you would call up to the national team which added more depth. It was nice to be able to qualify France in 1994 and have Eric Cantona and Jean Pierre Papin at the front!

View attachment 290137
Did you ever play Dynamite Soccer on PS1? I will be trying it in the future, it’s about the only football game I’ve not played. Looks pretty solid for a PS1 football game:

if i can give some advices, the beauty of pes 21 (obiouvsly with mods) and the reason why i voted it as the best football game ever created belongs to realism , not only in faces, stadiums, adboards, graphics etc, but also in the gameplay. i use virtuared 8.4 with UML installed and as gameplay i use holland real pes 3, but the thing that make me enjoy the gameplay of my pes so much are the tactics and playstyles. try to play a real game 25 mins legend (with holland gameplay) but in edit mode you modify the tactics of both team, when in possession movements, when defending settings, change the playstyles of your players and adapt them to the style of game you want to recreate.... the possibilities are limitless, that s the beauty of pes
Nothing personal and I'm glad you enjoy it but this, to me, is why PES 2021 shouldn't be considered. That's so much work to get the game to your liking. On a level playing field, judging the games straight out of the box, I think 2021 is an okay but hugely frustrating experience.

When you say "you can't really do much with that amazing database" what do you mean? You're talking about licenses? What if someone could purchase the rights to the old game? I'm asking out of ignorance but I haven't ruled out making this a reality, I just need to win a massive jackpot and hire the right team 😂. Jokes aside, is one of my life goals.

I don't really know the team behind, I had (still have) the Portuguese version which has the Portuguese national team picture of 1998, which never managed to get qualified for the WC98 anyway 😜

And yeah, the gameplay even for the time, was lacking at best.

In terms of game modes. The World Cups are pretty faithfully recreated, but not having any kind of mode in which you can build a dream team or similar is a big oversight for me. Imagine a Master League or similar using that database!

Did you ever play Dynamite Soccer on PS1? I will be trying it in the future, it’s about the only football game I’ve not played. Looks pretty solid for a PS1 football game:

I've played a couple of them, I think. There are something like four on the PS1 and one on N64. From memory, not the best, not the worst!

I've played a couple of them, I think. There are something like four on the PS1 and one on N64. From memory, not the best, not the worst!
Supposedly the later ones on PS1 are the best? I think there is 7 because I’ve seen Dynamite soccer 98 and I’ve also seen dynamite soccer 2002 in the video and also Dynamite soccer 2004 Final (which I’m guessing is the last one)
Anyway they look pretty good from what I’ve seen. Can you remember which versions you played?

Last edited:
Nothing personal and I'm glad you enjoy it but this, to me, is why PES 2021 shouldn't be considered. That's so much work to get the game to your liking. On a level playing field, judging the games straight out of the box, I think 2021 is an okay but hugely frustrating experience.

In terms of game modes. The World Cups are pretty faithfully recreated, but not having any kind of mode in which you can build a dream team or similar is a big oversight for me. Imagine a Master League or similar using that database!
Yes, in term of Game modes all there was (if memory serves me right) was a History mode and a quick game mode. Yeah, I mean a 2024 version of that game would have a limitless potential. I mean I have several ideas on my own and haven't discarded anything but Imagine that game, even if only using a late Fox Engine (PES 2021) with some improved gameplay (better/fluid player movement and improved GK animations, although PES 2021 mechanics (even GK) sit well with 50's/60's/70's playstyles, with contemporary music to go with each year or each WC or even each decade. Very importantly would be to develop a nice and very easy to use SDK so it could be easily modded, from Adboards, to Stadiums, to teams (no limit of amount of teams) to leagues, and so on a so forth. You can see where this is going isn't it?

Without boring you to death, let's say that I have put some tought into it:DOH:
It would be a very niche product, but with the right execution it could become something big, and a good History lesson!

Supposedly the later ones on PS1 are the best? I think there is 7 because I’ve seen Dynamite soccer 98 and I’ve also seen dynamite soccer 2002 in the video and also Dynamite soccer 2004 Final (which I’m guessing is the last one)
Anyway they look pretty good from what I’ve seen. Can you remember which versions you played?

There may be more but I've only known of four on the PS1 and they were all two years apart - 98, 00, 02 and 04. It's 98 and 04 I've played, but I've downloaded the other two and will give them a go soon! I remember thinking 98 was better, and with 04 they tried to go down a more realistic route and failed, whereas 98 was a decent arcadey affair.

Yes, in term of Game modes all there was (if memory serves me right) was a History mode and a quick game mode. Yeah, I mean a 2024 version of that game would have a limitless potential. I mean I have several ideas on my own and haven't discarded anything but Imagine that game, even if only using a late Fox Engine (PES 2021) with some improved gameplay (better/fluid player movement and improved GK animations, although PES 2021 mechanics (even GK) sit well with 50's/60's/70's playstyles, with contemporary music to go with each year or each WC or even each decade. Very importantly would be to develop a nice and very easy to use SDK so it could be easily modded, from Adboards, to Stadiums, to teams (no limit of amount of teams) to leagues, and so on a so forth. You can see where this is going isn't it?

Without boring you to death, let's say that I have put some tought into it:DOH:
It would be a very niche product, but with the right execution it could become something big, and a good History lesson!

Yeah the core idea is amazing. Almost a playable encyclopedia of world football. Not financially viable enough these days I reckon.

Kick Off 2 for Amiga 500 for me:WASTED::WASTED::WASTED::BEER:
tournaments and variety of tactics and incredible goals....

Although not Kick Off 2 the best days were when you used to get all your mates round and have a massive local tournament.
They were such good fun and a massive laugh rather than everyone just meeting online these days.

Although not Kick Off 2 the best days were when you used to get all your mates round and have a massive local tournament.
They were such good fun and a massive laugh rather than everyone just meeting online these days.
I don't know how many you have, but for me, I'm 49, it's exactly like that

Back
Top Bottom