World Cup 2010 - France Thread - Bravo l'Espagne

Re: World Cup 2010 - France Thread - Allez les Bleus !

Yeah agree. He's good but like we said, honestly, there are players who aren't even there like Tremoulinas/Cissokho who could be picked ahead of him.

France suffer Diarra blow

Midfielder out of tournament due to intestinal problem

lassanadiarrafrance_2385546.jpg

France's World Cup hopes have suffered a blow after midfielder Lassana Diarra was ruled out of the tournament due to an intestinal problem.

Diarra had been expected to start for France in South Africa next month, but the Real Madrid anchor man will miss the finals due to the 'unforeseen' injury.

The 25-year-old complained of stomach pains while he was scaling a glacier at the national team's training base in the French Alps on Thursday.

He sat out training on Friday and Saturday, and Les Bleus have now confirmed that the former Portsmouth midfielder will not be fit to take part in the World Cup.

Unforeseen illness

"Following the intestinal problem he contracted on the glacier at Tignes, medical examinations discovered an unforeseen illness that necessitates rest for an indeterminate period," read a statement on the French Football Federation's website.

"As a result, Lassana Diarra is out of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"For the moment, the staff have not called up another player."

Diarra's absence for the tournament could lead to Arsenal's Abou Diaby earning a starting role alongside Jeremy Toulalan in the engine room.

France coach Raymond Domenech had whittled down his provisional squad to 24 names at the start of the week and must now weigh up whether he needs to call up a replacement for Diarra.

The 1998 winners have been drawn in Group A at the World Cup and will meet Uruguay in their opening game on 11th June before tackling Mexico and hosts South Africa.

http://www.skysports.com/football/world-cup-2010/story/0,27032,12025_6167843,00.html

Diaby as Lass replacement? I thought Alou Diarra could fill this position.

Diaby as Lass replacement? I thought Alou Diarra could fill this position.
Generally it's Alou Diarra, but i really hope Diaby, more offensif player or maybe Gourcuff and Ribery in playmaker.

Last edited:

Maybe this opens a small door for Vieira as well but I wanna see Yoann Cabaye! How far is he from national team? He shouldn't be that far and he could be called up and offer something. Even if not as starter.

The revolution start ?? apparently new tactics during training 4/3/3.

------------Henry------------
Ribery----------------Gignac-
-----------------------------
-----Malouda------Gourcuff---
----------Toulalan-----------
Evra--------------------Sagna
--------Abidal--Gallas-------
-----------Lloris------------

I like that !

I like that too but I think it's way too attack-minded and not sure very realistic.

Gourcuff and Malouda aren't very good at defense, that leaves 5 attacking players and Toulalan the only one in midfield with great defensive skills, and considering Evra and Sagna are also the type to get forward, you have only 3 solid defensive players in there.

I think another player like Alou Diarra is needed in place of one of those.

p.s. Gignac should be in center with Henry as Wing-forward. Alternatively, I think what is most likely to happen is Ribery on right, Malouda on left, Henry in center which then opens that door for Toulalan, Diarra, Gourcuff midfield which is a more defensively solid.

p.p.s. I would've had Chalme in my team, hell maybe even as starting Right-back. But I think Reveillere is there because of bigger experience and versatility. But Chalme is probably best French right-back right now anyway, not Sagna. He deserved to go to this World Cup I think.

p.p.s. I would've had Chalme in my team, hell maybe even as starting Right-back. But I think Reveillere is there because of bigger experience and versatility. But Chalme is probably best French right-back right now anyway, not Sagna. He deserved to go to this World Cup I think.
Definitely.

Regarding that side, why is Henry still a guaranteed starter? Why not Anelka?

Henry's decline this season has been surprising when you consider that Di Natale is the same age as him and has been in the form of his life.

Guess those that predicted he would go shit after he lost his pace were right.

The 23 players

GoalKeepers :
- Carasso
- Lloris
- Mandanda

Defenders :
- Abidal
- Clichy
- Evra
- Gallas
- Planus
- Réveillère
- Sagna
- Squillacci

Midfields :
- Diaby
- A Diarra
- Malouda
- Toulalan
- Gourcuff

Strikers :
- Anelka
- Cissé
- Gignac
- Govou
- Henry
- Ribéry
- Valbuena

The numbers

GoalKeepers :
N.1 : Hugo Lloris (Lyon)
N.23: Cédric Carrasso (Bordeaux)
N.16: Steve Mandanda (Marseille)

Défenders :
N.3 : Eric Abidal (Barcelone)
N.22: Gaël Clichy (Arsenal)
N.13: Patrice Evra (Manchester United)
N.5 : William Gallas (Arsenal)
N.6 : Marc Planus (Bordeaux)
N.4 : Anthony Reveillère (Lyon)
N.2 : Bacary Sagna (Arsenal)
N.17: Sébastien Squillaci (Séville FC)

Midfields :
N.19: Vassiriki Diaby (Arsenal)
N.18: Alou Diarra (Bordeaux)
N.8 : Yoann Gourcuff (Bordeaux)
N.15: Florent Malouda (Chelsea)
N.14: Jérémy Toulalan (Lyon)

Strikers :
N.21: Nicolas Anelka (Chelsea)
N.9 : Djibril Cissé (Panathinaikos Athènes)
N.11: André-Pierre Gignac (Toulouse)
N.10: Sidney Govou (Lyon)
N.12: Thierry Henry (Barcelone)
N.7 : Franck Ribéry (Bayern Munich)
N.20: Mathieu Valbuena (Marseille)

Definitely.

Regarding that side, why is Henry still a guaranteed starter? Why not Anelka?

Henry's decline this season has been surprising when you consider that Di Natale is the same age as him and has been in the form of his life.

Guess those that predicted he would go shit after he lost his pace were right.

He's still kinda fast though, isn't he? For me, he's lost a lot more than just speed and yeah realistically, in the ideal world, shouldn't be an automatic starter anymore.

Unlike Vieira though, he is still good enough to offer something and should be in the squad. I think he is a starter because he's captain and the most experienced player now.

But yeah Anelka definitely deserves to be France's #1 striker and should be in the starting line up and probably will cause quite a lot of damage for opposition.

It's also interesting because he, was one of many who also had certain problems with Domenech in the past and they didn't always see eye to eye, but nowadays, they seem to get along very well and I think Raymond will rightly so use him quite a bit!

Were Mexes and Nasri THAT bad this season for not being called up?

Official picture

cdm_2010.jpg

Last edited:

Is that Reveillere between Govou and Malouda? Looks a little different but quality of the pic isn't high anyway... Squillaci looks a little different too. #17?

Were Mexes and Nasri THAT bad this season for not being called up?

Nasri wasn't bad, just not good enough really but this is Domenech anyway... Samir could've been in the team. But I don't think his absence is a big deal either.

Mexes should be there but Domenech's never liked him.

Menez could be there too but isn't, doesn't like Roma much it seems or Italian football for that matter.

Why have so many strikers? I know Henry, Anelka, Gouvu, Ribery can play at the wing...but.. i cant get it, and just 3 DMF/CMF? The defence is strong as hell though.

Most of those listed in strikers are wingers anyway.

Only Cisse and Gignac are pure forwards, well Anelka too though of course he can play on sides as well like Henry.

Valbuena, Govou, Ribery are what most would consider 'midfielders' anyway. Wingers but not really forwards.

As for central ones, there is 4 not 3 even after injury to Lassana Diarra, there is still Alou Diarra, Toulalan the King, Gourcuff and Abou Diaby.

Most of those listed in strikers are wingers anyway.

Only Cisse and Gignac are pure forwards, well Anelka too though of course he can play on sides as well like Henry.

Valbuena, Govou, Ribery are what most would consider 'midfielders' anyway. Wingers but not really forwards.

As for central ones, there is 4 not 3 even after injury to Lassana Diarra, there is still Alou Diarra, Toulalan the King, Gourcuff and Abou Diaby.

I never saw Gourcuff playing, i just thought hes like Zidane or Nasri.

France 2-1 Costa Rica

Valbuena score the last goal at the 83' for the first cap

the good = Gourcuff, Ribery, Diaby, Valbuena, Malouda
the bad = Henry, Anelka, Gallas, Abidal (play central)

Last edited:

Patrice Evra is the new captain (Abidal the second)

Tunisia 1-1 France

Diaby continue to make big impression, maybe in the starting eleven soon ?

Allez Patrice!

I now want France to win if England don't, seeing Evra lifting the WC would be wonderful.

Patrice Evra is the new captain (Abidal the second)

Wow really?! This means Henry isn't the captain.

I didn't see that coming.

Oh well good choice tho. Well deserved. Patrice rocks.

probably cause henry wont be starting... hes been in an horrible form this season...

Back
Top Bottom