What might be the biggest trashing in this WC?

Win by biggest margin in Brazil 2014?

• Brazil vs Cameroon

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Spain vs Australia

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Uruguay vs Costa Rica

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Argentina vs Iran

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • France vs Honduras

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Portugal vs USA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

sonoman

Champions League
13 November 2003
México
Mexico / Türkiye
These are the worst trashings or wins by the largest margin in the last 10 WCs, all of them were in the group stage.

Germany 1974:
Yugoslávia 9 - 0 Zaire

Argentina 1978:
Argentina 6 - Peru

Spain 1982:
Hungary 10 - 1 El Salvador

México 1986:
URSS 6 - 0 Hungary

Italia 1990:
Germany 5 - 1 UAE

USA 1994:
Russia 6 - 1 Cameroon

France 1998:
Spain 6 - 1 Bulgaria

Korea-Japan 2002:
Germany 8 - 0 Saudi Arabia

Germany 2006:
Argentina 6 - 0 Serbia

Southafrica 2010:
Portugal 7 - 0 North Korea

What would you reckon will be the match with the biggest goal difference this year?

Re: What will might be the biggest trashing in this WC?

I think Italy v Costa Rica will finish at least 5-0. Argentina v Iran also smells like goalfest,but then again these teams park buses...

I think Australia may be in for a thrashing too. They're not as good defensively as teams like Iran and Costa Rica. Also, it's not Italy's style to thrash any team. Looking at South-Korea's friendlies, you would say Belgium could have a field day against them too, but it depends on the form both teams are in.

I'd agree with Damjan here. If in some case, Belgium was in dire need of points or goal difference in last round of group stage, I wouldn't be surprised if they went really hard on Koreans and completely destroyed them.

Sonoman, just to add some trivia to this thread, you guys know that Argentina vs Peru in 1978 was a fixed match, right? :P

england will beat argentina 7-0 in the semi-final.:TU:

I dont know why people keep thinking Argentina Iran will be a goal fest. I think that Iran will take less goals than Nigeria and Bosnia from Argentina as their defense is more compact. I vote Spain Australia

Portugal vs USA ? wow I would feel offended if I was American :)

I think USA will draw vs Portugal or even win

:WASTED:

tumblr_mf3w4hEunk1rlycsvo1_500.gif

I'll be surprised if Spain scores more than two goals in any match and an average higher than 1.2 per game. Based on recent championships they've not exactly scored for fun... Exaggerating here of course.

As for Italy, they generally stop at 4-0 out of respect towards the opponents which is why Spain took the foot off the pedal in the Euro finals and also asked the ref to blow the whistle at 90 minutes despite the +4 mins announced. They knew Italy would've done them the same courtesy had the tables been turned.

I agree, the American mentality may or may not lift this team to be a surprise in the WC but I don't think they'll receive any thrashings at all.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I put my bet on Argentina despite knowing that Iran aren't as weak as many believe and that they may park the bus Chelsea style.

Last edited:

I'll be surprised if Spain scores more than two goals in any match and an average higher than 1.2 per game. Based on recent championships they've not exactly scored for fun... Exaggerating here of course.

As for Italy, they generally stop at 4-0 out of respect towards the opponents which is why Spain took the foot off the pedal in the Euro finals and also asked the ref to blow the whistle at 90 minutes despite the +4 mins announced. They knew Italy would've done them the same courtesy had the tables been turned.

I agree, the American mentality may or may not lift this team to be a surprise in the WC but I don't think they'll receive any thrashings at all.

+1

i think of closing the thread after tonight :D

Yep that might be just be the most lopsided match in this year's World Cup!

Let's close this thread. :D

honestly...who would've thought it'd come on this match....but i think there's still hope. Let's hope more goals will come!

Due all respect, how come this thread is still open? I won, there's no point in keeping this up. I'll PM Pipa my address so he can send my well deserved prize. :D

france is winnin this junt now, switzerland has been annihilated..

:or not...

Last edited:

I think Australia may be in for a thrashing too. They're not as good defensively as teams like Iran and Costa Rica. Also, it's not Italy's style to thrash any team. Looking at South-Korea's friendlies, you would say Belgium could have a field day against them too, but it depends on the form both teams are in.

:LOL:

Nothing has been as shameful and at the same time massive as Holland's Spanish thrash. France-Switzerland was lighter since they scored after having to pick five out and besides, they were excellent goals.

So Argentina Iran you say?

I dont know why people keep thinking Argentina Iran will be a goal fest. I think that Iran will take less goals than Nigeria and Bosnia from Argentina as their defense is more compact. I vote Spain Australia

Back
Top Bottom