What are you listening to?

Roky Erickson had quite an effect on me.
I can't understand how I didn't know before so amazing artist? :BLUSH:
Thank you so much @rockstrongo for great music receive.
Also I found wonderful cover on "If you have ghost."

I don’t want my fangs too long!!!
:APPLAUD::WORSHIP::ROCK::TU:
Ghost are great (or Tobias Forge).
There's a lot of great Roky songs and albums ,you should check out 13th floor elevators ,Rokys first band great stuff as well.

I discovered Roky via The Hellacopters , they've covered him as well ,even Swedish death metal band Entombed has covered Roky too.
Be sure to check out Sonic's Rendezvous band ,great band

There's a lot of great Roky songs and albums ,you should check out 13th floor elevators ,Rokys first band great stuff as well.

I discovered Roky via The Hellacopters , they've covered him as well ,even Swedish death metal band Entombed has covered Roky too.
Entombed? Yes, yes, Night of the Vampyres.
Thank you again, I’ll try em all.

You and @endo are posting real gems there. I love Sonic's Rendezvous Band, Fred "Sonic" Smith is legendary! Need to post the classic MC5 because of you mentioning Sonic:

You and @endo are posting real gems there. I love Sonic's Rendezvous Band, Fred "Sonic" Smith is legendary! Need to post the classic MC5 because of you mentioning Sonic:

Aah ,a fellow MC5 fan ,nice buddy!
MC5 was considered to be the "most dangerous band" back in the 60s ,had FBI after them constantly.
Probably because they spoke of human rights and equality.
Pretty much were we are today ,sadly.

Love all the Sonic's stuff ,though they only released one single ( City Slang ) there's tons of bootlegs to enjoy.

I was always curious on one of the tracks on my "Payin The dues"by The Hellacopters when I bought it back in -97
Almost 15 years later I discovered the original by Sonic's.
Nicke from Hellacopters had a band with the singer Scott and released an album too.

Sonic was married to Patti Smith as well right?

Great to see a fellow guy listening to this

it's a new EP from the former Smiths Guitarist and..
Yeah
Some very interesting and fresh sounding yet a bit of a look on the past as well with this album
Although songs like All these Days clearly shows that him working on Movie Soundtracks with Hans Zimmer is starting to rub off on him, but that was also evident on his last album 'Call the Comet' in the song 'Walk Into the Sea' (which itself is quite a good song).

Its the first part of a double album called 'Fever Dreams Pts 1-4' releasing on 25th February next year.
I think if you are looking for some electric sounding rock or anything new then this is worth checking out

Aah ,a fellow MC5 fan ,nice buddy!
MC5 was considered to be the "most dangerous band" back in the 60s ,had FBI after them constantly.
Probably because they spoke of human rights and equality.
Pretty much were we are today ,sadly.

Love all the Sonic's stuff ,though they only released one single ( City Slang ) there's tons of bootlegs to enjoy.

I was always curious on one of the tracks on my "Payin The dues"by The Hellacopters when I bought it back in -97
Almost 15 years later I discovered the original by Sonic's.
Nicke from Hellacopters had a band with the singer Scott and released an album too.

Sonic was married to Patti Smith as well right?

Great to see a fellow guy listening to this
Brother rockstrongo, are you ready to testifyyyyy? Great to know you are a fan as well!

Yeah, they sure were "dangerous" for the powers that be at the time. They were affiliated with John Sinclair, the leader of the White Panthers (white revolutionary people supporting and sharing Black Panther's ideals). Such a fantastic band that didn't last long but still managed pave the way for all the other gritty bands that came afterwards. Have you seen the documentary "MC5: A True Testimonial"? Really good stuff:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0333847/

Yes, they were married and had two children together, both of them playing presently in Patti Smith's band :) I actually just saw her live 2 weeks ago in Budapest, let me share some photos:

1635280039679.jpg 1635280146735.jpg
1635280039664.jpg
The guy with the hat playing guitar and the other lady (pianist) to the right of him in the last photo are their children. Both great musicians.

Yeah, that was a weird angle ehehe. Tickets were sold out and they ended up opening the organ seats behind the stage at the last minute so we got the chance to get hold of some tickets. Never ever had experienced watching a gig from the back of the stage.

I need to get into The Hellacopters. I have heard good things about them and actually liked the few thing's I've heard (I saw some footage them playing in some MC5 tribute I think, or maybe just the singer) but never really had a chance to give them a good listen. What do you recommend me from their discography as starter?

Last edited:

it's a new EP from the former Smiths Guitarist and..
Yeah
Some very interesting and fresh sounding yet a bit of a look on the past as well with this album
Although songs like All these Days clearly shows that him working on Movie Soundtracks with Hans Zimmer is starting to rub off on him, but that was also evident on his last album 'Call the Comet' in the song 'Walk Into the Sea' (which itself is quite a good song).

Its the first part of a double album called 'Fever Dreams Pts 1-4' releasing on 25th February next year.
I think if you are looking for some electric sounding rock or anything new then this is worth checking out
This sounds pretty cool! Some parts sound like New Order to me, and other 80's new wave/rock which is a great thing. :TU:

This sounds pretty cool! Some parts sound like New Order to me, and other 80's new wave/rock which is a great thing. :TU:
Definitely, because when Johnny got out of The Smiths, he first worked with The Pretenders for a bit but then he formed 'Electronic' - a supergroup with Bernard Summers who was in New Order at that time, so basically as the group name suggested, it was Electronic, a little bit of Guitar but Johnny really wanted to get out of that box the media was putting him and The Smiths (before the break up) in which was "Jangle Guitar Pop"
So Strangeways, Here we Come was a result of trying to get out of that box and honestly it is a very very very good album, my favourite or 2nd favourite album by them.

Johnny once said his and Bernard's conversation would be like this:
Bernard: 'Put some Guitar on it Johnny'
Johnny: 'No'
Bernard: 'Do it Johnny, put some guitar'
Johnny: 'No'
Bernard: '(something I forgot) the media are going to blame me'

So yeah.. it is no coincidence it sounds like New Order / Electronic, but just much more Guitar / Rock infused... and well. He was a New wave or 80s Rock musician himself when he first started

Back
Top Bottom