What are you listening to?

Not really got into "How Fly", it's not even close to being as good as K&OJ but I haven't really listened to it too much so might be a bit hasty.

Still think J.Cole's "The Warmup" is the best hip-hop album I've heard in a LONG, LONG time. Really like his flow and the beats, just a superb piece of work.

Will look up your other recommendations though, I'm more into the Cudi/Drake/J.Cole/Wiz style of rap now than anything else :)

ahh okay, if your not into "how high" you might not like the others.

I think J.Coles got potential, produces, writes, and very talented, Cudi is a cool dude, you heard the singles/leaks from his new cd, sounds pretty good, he should be all over kanyes new cd aswell.

ahh okay, if your not into "how high" you might not like the others.

I think J.Coles got potential, produces, writes, and very talented, Cudi is a cool dude, you heard the singles/leaks from his new cd, sounds pretty good, he should be all over kanyes new cd aswell.

Damn J.Cole is going to be huugee! All the tracks that he has been leaking have good lyrics and his flow is amazing. I cannot wait for the guy to drop his album! And CuDi is my favorite artist today, the guy may not be vocally talented or an amazing rapper but his music is unique and it's music you can listen to and relate.

And on Wiz Khalifa I think he's alright, I' only have two of his songs 'Fly Solo' and 'This Plane' and they are decent songs. Did you manage to get the new Kanye West Mixtape? (PM me).

Wiz's "Kush & OJ" is worth checking out, some really nice songs on there.

I've got a Cudi mixtape that I haven't listened to yet, I should probably burn it and check it out.

His first mixtape is dope, Sometimes I think his mixtape is better than his album.

wiz has got a few good solo mixtapes but his best solo work yet is K&OJ..

but you could say that for alot of hip-hop acts over the past few years...

im an old hip-hop head, but it feels/sounds like there is sooo much good shit out there from established artists and newcomers alike, the past couple years has been awash with top rate material, variety aswell...

and this at a time when artists are suffering thru lack of sales...

sorry got sidetracked...

Hmm I think hiphop has been poor for a LOOOONG time, since the late 90's possibly. Occasional good stuff during the 2000's but it's definately dried up IMO.

I'm blaming all that Southern shite as well. Lil Wayne is garbage at its most extreme and Timberland's beats started off an awful trend where most Southern rappers sound like they're just using the same beats over and over. CunninLynguists are possibly the only act from the "Dirty" south that I like maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I think hiphop has been poor for a LOOOONG time, since the late 90's possibly. Occasional good stuff during the 2000's but it's definately dried up IMO.

my peeps say the same thing to me all the time, but I have to disagree...

it does go in cycles, my fave artist Nas shut it down a few years ago with "Hip Hop Is Dead" and things for me got alot better, so about 3-4 years of solid music with up and coming artists now making their own room instead of being forced by A&R's to be to just copy "the last/current big thing"

the fact we have been talking about wiz, cudi & j.cole for me shows that...

I'm blaming all that Southern shite as well. Lil Wayne is garbage at its most extreme and Timberland's beats started off an awful trend where most Southern rappers sound like they're just using the same beats over and over. CunninLynguists are possibly the only act from the "Dirty" south that I like maybe?

damn dude thats a sweeping statement, your talking about a HUGE area of hip-hop & the USA but you only mentioned, New Orleans and Virginia which is pretty much east coast anyway.

the southern states have a massive influence on music in general, blues, rock'n'roll, country....

alot of those influences are carried in good southern hip-hop, Scarface, UGK, OutKast, Goodie Mob to name a few of my faves..

Last edited:
I haven't been a hip hop listener for a long time, I only started out about a year ago when I first heard 'Best you never had" by Drake then I started to listen to some Kid Cudi, Jay-Z, more Kanye and etc. I'm also into some R'N'B, but I hate artists that are always on that auto-tune shit like IYAZ, I know Kanye used a lot of auto-tune from his previous album but at least all his other work uses his proper voice.

Interested to know Vann, what are your thoughts on Drake?

I haven't been a hip hop listener for a long time, I only started out about a year ago when I first heard 'Best you never had" by Drake then I started to listen to some Kid Cudi, Jay-Z, more Kanye and etc. I'm also into some R'N'B, but I hate artists that are always on that auto-tune shit like IYAZ, I know Kanye used a lot of auto-tune from his previous album but at least all his other work uses his proper voice.

Interested to know Vann, what are your thoughts on Drake?

i like his "so far gone" mixtape, and ive heard bits of his cd but he doesnt get any play on the ipod...

The-Roots-How-I-Got-Over-Album-Cover.jpg

Will do :TU:

Just burnt "A Kid Named Cudi" to listen to on the way home.

I could do with a good, uplifting, high-tempo album to listen to on the way to kickboxing, any suggestions?

That Wale album I mentioned sounds good for that maybe, his tempo is pretty fast.

My favorite tracks from Cudi's mixtape are 'Man on the Moon', 'The Prayer' and Maui Wowie.

Last edited:
Will do :TU:

Just burnt "A Kid Named Cudi" to listen to on the way home.

I could do with a good, uplifting, high-tempo album to listen to on the way to kickboxing, any suggestions?

lol im an old man, my muay thai days are long gone, but we used to spar to beats or good ol'fashioned fight music, bit of MOP, Wu-Tang, Prodigy...

not uplifting (lol) but a good soundtrack to spar to!!

what do you think of The Roots new album?

Excellent really. A bit more mainstream than their older stuff but I don't mind that at all. "Now Or Never" and "How I Got Over" are probably my favourite tracks and they both have support singers (Plus Phonte, who's one of my fav rappers) :)

Not as good as Illadelph Halflife though, true classic.

Wu-Tang is probably a decent suggestion as well actually, might dig some of that out as well as trying Wale's album.

Excellent really. A bit more mainstream than their older stuff but I don't mind that at all. "Now Or Never" and "How I Got Over" are probably my favourite tracks and they both have support singers (Plus Phonte, who's one of my fav rappers) :)

Not as good as Illadelph Halflife though, true classic.

Wu-Tang is probably a decent suggestion as well actually, might dig some of that out as well as trying Wale's album.

yup yup illadelph is the one, true classic, watchin them perform that was a joy!!

i like the new one tho, it reminds me of phrenology which i thought was pretty slept on.

I can't remember Phrenology really, I'll check it out over the weekend though.

Did anyone check out Mike Shinoda's album by the way? I thought it was a superb album and he's got a pretty good flow ... for a white guy :LOL:

Yeah definitly it was more 'him' in my view, Have you managed to listen to the few leaks from KiD CuDi's new album?

The remix with Jay-Z and Swizz Beatz I thought it was okay, I prefer the original as you said but I like Jay-Z's parts in the remix. If they added Jay-Z to the real one then I'd be happy.

Not heard any Cudi leaks yet, I don't really like leaks though as it takes away the "freshness" when you hear the album for the first time.

Regarding "Power", I thought they just messed up the beat far too much. The original was a little over the top with how dominant it was but it was a perfect pattern. The "remix" is just all over the place and not consistent enough. It just sounded a bit amateurish to me.

Back
Top Bottom