We Are Football

Always glad to see more football games, but aaarrrggghhh. Why does it have to be a manager game... Football Manager has it sown up with their match engine (amongst other things).

THQ making a football game, There's something I never thought i'd see. But yeah I think there already is a few football management games on mobile too, Mostly because they cost next to nothing to make and you don't have to worry about performance or making 3D assests.

It's a shame we don't see more non licensed football games on console. When you think about how many was made during the PS1/2 era when devs weren't bothered about the lack of licenses then either, It's surprising there's not at least a couple more currently then the big 2.

I think there's more tennis games out then there are football games am i right?

THQ making a football game, There's something I never thought i'd see. But yeah I think there already is a few football management games on mobile too, Mostly because they cost next to nothing to make and you don't have to worry about performance or making 3D assests.

It's a shame we don't see more non licensed football games on console. When you think about how many was made during the PS1/2 era when devs weren't bothered about the lack of licenses then either, It's surprising there's not at least a couple more currently then the big 2.

I think there's more tennis games out then there are football games am i right?
THQ had some "decent" (regarding the era) sports games for Gameboy and Gameboy Colour, some Madden and some FIFA. And some NBA Jam for Sega Genesis. NBA Jam is at least relevant, even today.

Of course it does not count as real-action footy experience, but just for the record!
Screenshot_20210328_174328_com.android.chrome.jpg

Doing a bit of digging it seems Gerald Kohler, the co-founder of this studio, was one of the main producers of the FIFA Manager games.

More football games are always welcome, not expecting something incredible but it might be fun for a bit as a change from the usual games we play each year.

Frauen-Bundesliga is definitely of the most interesting leagues of Women's Football when it comes to young players, especially german players. Out of the 7 german players present in the top scorers, only one of them is over 23, and I love that, many of these youngsters were seen in the last World Cup (like Giulia Gwynn) and many will be seen in the next one, like Laura Freigang, who scored 5 goals in 4 matches since being promoted to Germany's first team. Germany has one of the most promising U23 generations IMO when it comes to Women's Football.

Damn, I'm really looking forward to this game now lol

It's all well and good until it gets to the goal animation at the end of the trailer, and then I just have to laugh. I can't go back to a Championship Manager style match engine, I just can't.

It's all well and good until it gets to the goal animation at the end of the trailer, and then I just have to laugh. I can't go back to a Championship Manager style match engine, I just can't.
Honestly I've played Football Manager for so many years and as good as the game is, the matches in 3D look like shit to me, the fluidity of animation looks like stuff from 90s FIFA or ISS and it really puts me off. That's why I always play with the 2D camera, but honestly, I can get behind even text-based football managers, it's casual fun, you don't have to set it up and wait a really long time to play like PES, FIFA or FM.
But hey, Championship Manager 2010 didn't even look THAT bad. =P

I will most likely give the game a go, although releasing a football manager game is probably pointless when there is a complete monopoly on the market.
Seems very much like Ultimate Soccer Manager from the 90s Amiga, where you were more in charge of the club as much as the team.

[...] where you were more in charge of the club as much as the team.
Yes and it will be such a game. In England what the manager is, is for other leagues the coach and with a sports CEO or something.

So this game will be more like the manager games from EA not the one from sega.

I like it that they're bringing women's football to the table. Even in FIFA it still seems underexplored.
I don't mind it being another manager in the glut, I'm actually fond of managers because they let you see or play with teams you don't normally see in other games (I personally waste most of my FM playing time in the World tab :P). I'll keep an eye on it, I just hope they have a more realized, action-driven match engine.

Seems like it'll have the Bundesliga license (first and second divisions), both men and women.

Either way, it's really frickin' rich that the DFL grants league licenses to an upstart game and won't let Konami have even a fake German league.

Either way, it's really frickin' rich that the DFL grants league licenses to an upstart game and won't let Konami have even a fake German league.

It's a different license. There are "simulation" licenses (that don't have any image rights access and so they're used for manager games), and there are the "full" ones games like PES and FIFA use.

It's a different license. There are "simulation" licenses (that don't have any image rights access and so they're used for manager games), and there are the "full" ones games like PES and FIFA use.
Huh, that's news to me. I never knew there was such a thing.
How exactly does that prevent Konami from doing like they do with the Premier League, for example?

Huh, that's news to me. I never knew there was such a thing.
How exactly does that prevent Konami from doing like they do with the Premier League, for example?
PES 5 had a fake German league, and then the DFL successfully sued KONAMI, so they're not doing it anymore.

Doing a bit of digging it seems Gerald Kohler, the co-founder of this studio, was one of the main producers of the FIFA Manager games.

More football games are always welcome, not expecting something incredible but it might be fun for a bit as a change from the usual games we play each year.
Yes, the same developer who originally produced the game named Anstoss, until developers of the game were acquired by EA to make Total Club Manager games. Then they lastly did FIFA Manager 14.

This game looks like it aims to address a certain group of football enthusiasts, instead of the whole football community.

Game is getting released in a few minutes. Reviews are around the 70% mark. It could be a nice distraction from FM. I don't know if a custom licensed database will be soon available. Only the first 2 divisions of Bundesliga are officially licensed.

Game is getting released in a few minutes. Reviews are around the 70% mark. It could be a nice distraction from FM. I don't know if a custom licensed database will be soon available. Only the first 2 divisions of Bundesliga are officially licensed.
Thanks for the reminder.

And boy, those tennis games...

Off topic yeah, but just started a new thread on the best simulation of Tennis in a video game. TWT2 and the AO games suck ass in comparison to Full Ace Tennis Simulator!! (a game made by a very small indie team, most of which is programmed by one dude).

Back
Top Bottom