11. Juventus
12. Internazionale
13. Roma
14. Lyon
15. Chelsea
16. PSV Eindhoven

19. Celtic
25. Rangers

Arsenal and Manchester United have retained their place among the group of top seeds in the Champions League.

But Liverpool and Chelsea will be in the pot of second seeds with the likes of AC Milan, Juventus, Roma and Inter.

The seeding means Arsenal and United, if they qualify, will avoid holders Porto and Spanish sides Real Madrid, Valencia, Barcelona and Deportivo.

Uefa changed their seedings to give more weight to how an individual club has performed in Europe in the past.

Bayern Munich, Deportivo La Coruna, Porto join the Spanish trio, Arsenal and United in the top group of seeds.

This means when the draw is made in Monaco on 26 August they cannot be drawn in the same group.

But Real Madrid, Sir Alex Ferguson's team and Deportivo still have to win a two-legged qualifier first.

Rangers, who also need to qualify, and Celtic are likely to be among the third pot of seeds.

Uefa also revealed the draw for the third qualifying round of the tournament will see seeded sides drawn against unseeded teams.

This means United and Liverpool will avoid major European rivals such as Real or Juventus as they seek to reach the final 32 teams.

Last edited:
Hmm interesting, we still have to qualify but we rank higher than any other english team so apart from having to qualify (which im not arsed about some of our best european seasons have come of the back of us having to qualify, including the season we won it.) finishing above us meant feck all ;) :D

Uefa changed their seedings to give more weight to how an individual club has performed in Europe in the past.

As last year's CL and this years Euro 2004 proved, seeding doesn't appear to mean much anymore. However, I do reckon the big guns will be back this time round. They're all bolstering their squads. Looking forward to it myself. Roll on the draw. :D

yeah i cant wait for the CL to start. I really hope ALL the British teams do a lot better than last year . . .

Are they borrowing a page of logic from FIFA? I dont agree with seeding based on past performance. This really screws with suprise teams that make a good run and dont have a grand history to fall back on.

ManU getting top seed over Chelsea and Real being ranked #1 despite finishing 4th in La Liga. :l

Seems fishy to me.

ghazi said:
Are they borrowing a page of logic from FIFA? I dont agree with seeding based on past performance. This really screws with suprise teams that make a good run and dont have a grand history to fall back on.

ManU getting top seed over Chelsea and Real being ranked #1 despite finishing 4th in La Liga. :l

Seems fishy to me.

nah nothing fishy about it, its nothing to do with league placing its how well you've done in europe over a period of time, chelsea barely figure in europe so why should they rank higher than a team who are consistently in europe at that level.

prof made a good point, look at all the semi finalists from last year, all no-hopers but still made it, so maybe the same will happen this year.

biggertam said:
typical uefa :roll: they should get rid of seedings it protects the big teams it would be much more entertaining.

It didn't protect the big teams last season. :mrgreen:

Gazz22 said:
biggertam said:
typical uefa :roll: they should get rid of seedings it protects the big teams it would be much more entertaining.

very true but the vast majority of the time it dose it would be better without seedings

Madrid
Man U
AC Milan
B. Munich.................................now that would be better.

biggertam said:
Gazz22 said:
biggertam said:

very true but the vast majority of the time it dose it would be better without seedings

Madrid
Man U
AC Milan

Yeah, That would be much better cuz then we have the overall best team from the past few years of each league.

Don Domenico said:
Juventus, were overall better than AC Milan in serie A over the last couple of years(last 3-4 years).

your missing the point, it has nothing to do with the domestic leagues its based on European performances.

I don't see why it matters to be honest. If you want to win it, you're going to have to play the best teams at some point in the competition. If you're good enough to win it, you shouldn't really be bothered about who's in your group or whatever.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
ghazi said:

Seems fishy to me.

nah nothing fishy about it, its nothing to do with league placing its how well you've done in europe over a period of time, chelsea barely figure in europe so why should they rank higher than a team who are consistently in europe at that level.

prof made a good point, look at all the semi finalists from last year, all no-hopers but still made it, so maybe the same will happen this year.

HAvent they just made it harder for little fish to succeed and easier for big teams to advance despite the fact they have come off disappointing seasons? :l

ghazi said:
Vannizzlefashizzal said:
ghazi said:

Seems fishy to me.

HAvent they just made it harder for little fish to succeed and easier for big teams to advance despite the fact they have come off disappointing seasons? :l

I see what your saying but how else could you do it, the little teams know their place in the scheme of things, thats what makes it so much better when they do well...

biggertam said:
Gazz22 said:
biggertam said:

Madrid
Man U
AC Milan

Yeah, but then you'd also get:

Partizan Belgrade
Club Brugge
Lokomotiv Moskov
Fenebarche

Who on earth would watch that? We'd have 2 great groups, and 6 shit groups.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Don Domenico said:
Juventus, were overall better than AC Milan in serie A over the last couple of years(last 3-4 years).

your missing the point, it has nothing to do with the domestic leagues its based on European performances.

RuneEdge said:
Madrid
Man U
AC Milan
Yeah, That would be much better cuz then we have the overall best team from the past few years of each league.

hutch already said it all. If you wanna win it, you have to compete against every team in your way, like Porto or Monaco did last season.
And the system is optimized for ALL clubs. Ask the likes of Moscow, Kiev, Brugge and what else you consider "weaker" teams who they want to have in their groups? They WANT to play Madrid, ManU, Bayern a million times more than other B-rated sides, simply because it means full stadiums and way more money and prestige.
What would the benefit of a group consisting of 4 top teams be? Nobody could guarantee thrilling matches and you'll have 3 or 4 crap groups as well.

Don Domenico said:
Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Don Domenico said:

RuneEdge said:
Madrid
Man U
AC Milan

why so cryptic, whats your point?

Stasman said:
Yeah, but then you'd also get:

Partizan Belgrade
Club Brugge
Lokomotiv Moskov
Fenebarche

Who on earth would watch that? We'd have 2 great groups, and 6 shit groups.

a lot of ppl would....... that and the group i came up with are more open groups than say this.............

Man U
Real Madrid
Club Brugge
Partizan Belgrade
.......i wonder who will get through from this group 99% of the time .........i wonder??????

But in the end you'll end up with weaker teams going really far, and only a couple of strong teams going through to the knockouts. Would make the knockout stages less exciting. The current system is fine, if the 'weaker' teams are good enough, they should be able to progress.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
why so cryptic, whats your point?

Vannizzlefashizzal said:

This is what you told me.

That would be much better cuz then we have the overall best team from the past few years of each league

But I reacted to this.

------------------------------------------------------

Pistiuk said:
Don Domenico said:

Do you remember Old Trafford? :D

[-(

What a farce, what are Barca doing there, compared to teams who could embarass them with their recent Euro records.

FD

crap seeding... how the hell did AC milan manage to get all the way down there?? and barca up there?? depor dhould also be dropped a couple of places...
seeding is a good concept but only if u do it right god damnit!

Don Domenico said:
Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Don Domenico said:

RuneEdge said:
Madrid
Man U
AC Milan

You didn't get what I mean. I meant one team from each league that had the most success in europe compared to its rivals. Which means teams like Man Utd who had more european success than any other english team and Bayern Munich cuz they've had more success in Europe than the other german teams.

First qualifying round - Second leg

Match kick-offs are listed in local time

27/07/2004

Bohemians 19:45 Lev. Tallinn

29/07/2004

Shakhtyor 17:30 Nistru

Ventspils 18:00 B68

Dudelange 18:00 Ekranas

Željeznicar 18:00 Pennarossa

Shamkir 18:00 Tbilisi

TVMK 18:00 ÍA

Etzella 18:00 Haka

Modrica 18:00 Santa Coloma

Allianssi 19:00 Glentoran

Karabakh 19:00 Banská Bystrica

Žalgiris 19:00 Portadown

Primorje 19:00 Marsaxlokk

Dinamo Tirana 19:00 Otelul

Longford 19:00 Vaduz

Hafnarfjördur 19:15 Haverfordwest

TNS 19:30 Öster

Honvéd 20:00 MIKA

Metalurgs 20:00 B36

Sloga 20:00 Omonia

Birkirkara 20:00 Partizani

Banants 20:00 Illichivets

Maribor 20:00 Sileks

Dinamo Tbilisi 20:00 BATE

Tiraspol 20:00 Shirak

Wisla Krakow are in a commanding position in their UEFA Champions League second qualifying round tie against WIT Georgia Tbilisi after an 8-2 victory away from home.

The Polish side are virtually in the third round of qualifying after the stunning first leg triumph, the foundations of which were provided by Tomasz Frankowski's four goals.

Frankowski scored twice inside the opening five minutes to put Wisla in firm control before Tengiz Kobiashvili pulled one back for WIT.

Damian Gorawski extended the advantage again on 25 minutes and Frankowski completed his hat-trick before the half hour mark.

His fourth goal arrived on 55 minutes, after Georgi Adamia had pounced for WIT, and a double from Maciej Zurawski and one from Marcin Kuzba wrapped up the scoring.

Shakhtar Donetsk are also in pole position to progress after the Ukrainian side won 3-1 away from home in their meeting with Punik Yerevan.

Ciprian Marica put the visitors in to a first half advantage, prior to Rafael Nazaryan levelled matters on the hour.

Marica's second on 75 minutes put Shakhtar back in front before Julius Aghahowa secured the success ten minutes from time.

Danish outfit FC Copenhagen were another team to taste success on their travels as they ground out a 2-1 win over Nova Gorica.

Alvaro Santos put FCK in front just before the interval, only for Alexander Rodic to equalise on 57 minutes. The crucial goal arrived on 69 minutes as Peter Moller gave the visitors the upper hand in the tie.

Ferencvaros produced a roaring late comeback to snatch a 3-2 advantage from their trip to Albania to face SK Tirana.

Szabolcs Huszti's penalty three minutes before the break for the visitors was cancelled out by a double from Devi Muka in the second half for Tirana.

But with a minute remaining, Gentian Hajdari put through his own net to help Ferencvaros level and Huszti netted again in injury time to give the Hungarians the victory.

HJK Helsinki failed to make home advantage count as they were held to a 0-0 draw by Maccabi Tel Aviv.

CSKA Moscow will be confident of advancing to the next round after a 0-0 stalemate in Neftchi gave the Russians the slight edge.

3rd round draw - 30.07.2004 - 12:00CET, think it might be on SkySportsTV or eurosports.

It the draw Real Madrid, Man Utd, Rangers, Liverpool, Juventus, Benfica, Inter(?) Leverkusen(?) etc are in.

Draw for the group stage proper is about a month away - 26.08.2004 - 16:00CET, in Monaco around the time of the super cup.

Back
Top Bottom