The Wire

Nice to see another Friday Night Lights fan, thought I was the only one.

Brilliant show, followed on from the movie really well. Love the movie soundtrack that they use too, perfect combination.

I must buy the last two seasons asap.

In Belgian only season one and two are out on DVD (and i've had to search thoroughly to find them).

Drekkard: season two of the Wire was the season i liked less, but like you said, still better than 99% of what you see on television. I know that you are prepared to try Belgian things, you should search after "De Parelvissers", i rewatched it on DVD this weekend and realised once again how good it is. It's in Flemish, but i'm pretty sure you can watch it with English subtitles.

Something i also like a lot is a Danish series: "The Killing". There are two season out on DVD and especialy season two is very good. Season one is a litle bit too long.

I would also like to see Breaking Bad. I've heard lots of good things about this one.

The US version of The Killing has been getting rave reviews and it's just been renewed for a second season, I have the episodes on my popcorn hour but haven't gotten around to watching it yet (same with game of thrones) :)

Rave reviews? I've heard it's absolutely dire compared to the Danish version.

The Wire is fantastic viewing, but in the echalons of my fav tv, it's probably breaking into it, but certainly ain't scaling the dizzy heights.

As already said, better than a wad of stuff no doubt, although I do really need to watch a few other things such as The Shield and some stuff as mentioned to see how it goes.

FD

Gerd, I've already watched The killing, the danish version of course! At least the first season. And it was great. So I wouldn't have any problem watching a belgian one! I have the belgian films in my to-watch list. The problem is that I always have a list of 50+ things to watch and it's a nightmare deciding what to watch with the wife.

To stay on topic: you know something is extraordinay when you have a list of things to watch over 50 items and yet you continue to watch the same things every night. That's what happened to me with the wire. Watched the full 5 seasons in a row in a month or two. I just love watching things like this. It gets a lot more intense.

Watching Game of thrones now week per week and it's lasting an eternity! I love to watch tv series as if they were a loooong movie, not waiting a week to watch 45 more minutes of it.

I liked the less popular season 2 of the Wire. Was just such a departure (relatively) from the 'gansta' stuff. Shame they didnt use more of the characters from S2 in the rest of the series'

As most of the shows we watch have finished, we are now filling the holes with more of the Shield box set. Superb stuff, cannot believe only watching it now.

And also great to see S3 of Californication on BT Visison, so catching up with that too!

Well that's it finally over for me.

Really enjoyed it, although I guess I expected it to go out with a big bang or something, but it didn't really happen.

Omar Little was the top dog though, although I wasn't too keen on his conclusion. Liked big Slim Charles too, he was class.

FD

One of the things I love from The Wire is the feeling of naturality of everything, how things flow far from classical structures and free of narrative constarints. I mean, they tell what they want when they want, and can spend time with secondary characters to build their world.

That's what made the final scene of the series so good and coherent for me. It was just the way to go.

Glad you liked it. Now... have you seen Deadwood?

No mate, I haven't. I was thinking of moving onto it, but am I right in saying it was ended early, so not sure if that means there was no conclusion or whatever, not sure if I could be bothered with that if it's the case.

FD

One could say it didn't reach its final destination but the journey is still a hell of a ride and there's nothing that really compares to it in terms of style and setting, it's still well worth watching.

One could say it didn't reach its final destination but the journey is still a hell of a ride and there's nothing that really compares to it in terms of style and setting, it's still well worth watching.

Completely agree with that Frank...i highly recommend it...

Cheers guys, well I do like a western, so guess I should give this a watch, just noticed it spanned 3 seasons.

FD

The US version of The Killing has been getting rave reviews and it's just been renewed for a second season, I have the episodes on my popcorn hour but haven't gotten around to watching it yet (same with game of thrones) :)

game of thrones is epic.... amazing show

LOL, oh right. :p

Oh and a kinda link with The Wire and Deadwood. The woman who is with Wild Bill Hickok reminds me with her talking of Snoop from The Wire.

FD

I just look the season 1 of the Wire, and strangely i'm not really fan of the show, i really need too see the others season or i can stop ?

Ok thank you Gerd for your council

you shouldnt of listened to him. i watched first season and thought it was average, put my dvds away for a year then went back to the show... now i can say it is the best thing i have ever seen

no other tv series comes close to it (except one)... you cant judge it on one season.... you need to watch a few to udnerstand it... its not like other , mellowdramatic tv shows... this one treats you intelligently and you have to take your time

Back
Top Bottom