The Wire - Greatest TV Drama Ever??

Ha Miami Vice...i was not particularly fond of that one...i used to watch, but more for the cameo's of other stars in the series...i still have fond memories of the episode with my all-time hero Miles davis where he played a coke dealer (a role he should played very good, because he had lots of contacts with coke dealers).

The Wire is an awesome show, I prefer The Shield though. They're both about as good as American drama can get, another great drama is the Canadian show Intelligence, quite difference but I really enjoyed that :)

the shield is a soap opera, its not a drama... its completley fake and about as realistic as platoon was

Seeing as I've never lived in the ghettos of Baltimore I have no idea if the Wire is the "documentary" you seem to imply, so what if The Shield is not realistic? It's a great TV show with some excellent characters, if you don't enjoy it, hey guess what, don't watch it.......

Seeing as I've never lived in the ghettos of Baltimore I have no idea if the Wire is the "documentary" you seem to imply,

Seeing as i've never been on the summit of the Everest i don't know if the documentaries about Everest climbers are documentaries...
Seeing as i've never been to Antartica, i don't know if the fil i saw about Scott is a documentary...
How many analogies do you want??? I can give you a couple of million...

Believe me: The Wire comes close to documentary.
iwill give you one of dozens of reasons. Because to my knowledge The Wire is the only television series that has as much attention (if not more) for the villains as for the "good guys"...as a matter of fact, there are no real good or bad guys...

The character of Stringer Bell is unique.
The way the corrupt Polish union in the second series is acting is unique...they are committing crimes yes, but can you say that they are "bad" people???? Some of their crimes are even socially driven...

Oh Placebo, and i don't want to make comparisions with The Shield, because i never saw it...i wil probably buy that series too...all the people i know who have seen both series are saying that The Shield is the next best thing...after the Wire; But that is hearsay.

Seeing as I've never lived in the ghettos of Baltimore I have no idea if the Wire is the "documentary" you seem to imply, so what if The Shield is not realistic? It's a great TV show with some excellent characters, if you don't enjoy it, hey guess what, don't watch it.......

i live about 38 miles from baltimore, i have grown up here my whole life. trust me mate... its as close as your gonna get to Baltimore... look im just surprised a guy like you who is always critical of anything un-realistic thinks that a show like the "shield" is better then probably the best depiction of any american cities crime scene as the wire is... which is ultra realistic where the shield is completley un-realistic as it relates to LA. I think thats what makes the wire so great, it hits home. And now i cringe hoping to god you dont think the shield is actually a good representation of the police and crime in LA. I watch the shield as well, but i take it with a grain of salt, its a soap opera much like days of our lives or even certain reality tv shows.. its pure fun, and pure garbage at the same time...

look im just surprised a guy like you who is always critical of anything un-realistic

As I explained for the most recent time in the GTA thread, I'm not critical of anything unrealistic, I'm simply not a fan of unrealistic shooters, how that's supposed to mean I insist on only watching realistic TV Shows I don't know.

Is Lost realistic?

Is the Star Trek franchise realistic?

Is Battlestar Galactica realistic?

I watch many shows that aren't realistic, I play many games that aren't realistic, really not sure where this idea that I'm the bastion of all things uber-realistic came from :)

As for The Shield, it's rip roaring entertainment, no more, no less, for the sum of its parts it to me is a better show than The Wire, realism is not the primary factor in my deciding I like one show more than another......

As I explained for the most recent time in the GTA thread, I'm not critical of anything unrealistic, I'm simply not a fan of unrealistic shooters, how that's supposed to mean I insist on only watching realistic TV Shows I don't know.

Is Lost realistic?

Is the Star Trek franchise realistic?

Is Battlestar Galactica realistic?

I watch many shows that aren't realistic, I play many games that aren't realistic, really not sure where this idea that I'm the bastion of all things uber-realistic came from :)

As for The Shield, it's rip roaring entertainment, no more, no less, for the sum of its parts it to me is a better show than The Wire, realism is not the primary factor in my deciding I like one show more than another......

fair enough... i love ta pol, that vulcan is a hot bitty

Naah Dax is hotter, watched the episode last night where she snogs another Trill woman, really nice moment, made up for all the men kissing I've had to endure in The Tudors (And before you start I know that's not realistic either!)........

Been watching the show based on your recomendations.

Halfway through the second season (the docks), been loving it.

Felt like D'Angelo was killed too soon.

How many seasons are there? As the show ended?

There will be 5 seasons.
The first four seasons are out on DVD.
From season 4, the cast changes considerably...

Been watching the show based on your recomendations.

Halfway through the second season (the docks), been loving it.

Felt like D'Angelo was killed too soon.

How many seasons are there? As the show ended?

I really liked Season 2. I think at the time, people didnt like it as it was so different to the previous 'Da Hood' feel. But now having seen upto series 4 so far, I'd put season 2 right up there.

I loved the whole Ziggy thing to!

You're right about D'Angelo though - but be prepared, it seems that the writers have no qualms about shocking people, so dont get too attached to any character!!!! :LOL:

I still cannot believe 'Snoop' is a girl. For the first time this week (watching on FX) that I can recall, she was referred to as a 'she' by another character.

So bizarre!

I still cannot believe 'Snoop' is a girl. For the first time this week (watching on FX) that I can recall, she was referred to as a 'she' by another character.

So bizarre!

lol she's a cold mo'fo...

another great aspect of this epic series is that everyone is connected, on some six degrees of seperation shit...

it all starts with the 1st case (season one) and its just the po-lice and the street dudes...

and like freeman says...

"you follow drugs and it leads you to drug dealers, follow the money and you don't know where that shit is gonna take you"

i'm really looking forward to series 5....

wanna see how Marlo develops...

is young micheal gonna be the next kingpin...

is mccnulty gonna be happy on the beat...

who's gonna run city hall...

theres just so many questions!!!

Just finished watching Season 5.

What a superb 5 series' of TV. Absolutely amazing writing - they were just never afraid to surprise you with the twists. Some of the killings are really shocking, hand over mouth, blank stare type of TV.

Amazing, wish they did more.

Indeed a superb show. I loved every bit of it.

My thanks for Van for letting me know this show existed, and to the others who convinced me to watch it. :))

On Season 5. :| It's almost over.

Mcnulty is going crazy...

lol mcnulty has always been crazy!

the episode where he crashes his car into a pillar, backs a 50-60 yards and does it again is one of my fave tv moments!

As for this season, there have been some truly great moments!

Avon meeting Marlo in prison!

Marlo, wacking Prop Joe and taking over the Co-op, Marlo is one bad mutherfucka!!

Omar coming out of retirement to go after Marlo!

TBH unlike the other 4 seasons, I've yet to warm to the whole Media sub-plot, it doesnt seem to have the same relevance as the docks in season 2 and the school system in season 4!

Was very bored and ended in this thread.
Best series in the history withouth the slightest doubt. Better, more complex and more realistic to anything you want to compare it to.
Kind of sad when you end watching because life with series it is difficult after The Wire. Nothing is near it quality.

Anyway, Ive read one of the books from the supreme genius David Simon, one from Richard Price and Im about to start reading the night gardener from George Pelecanos.
Thinking about seeing another show from David. Has anybody seen Treme ?

Treme is great too, but it is more difficult than the Wire. If you are searching for plots, they only start in season 3, but it is well worth watching. I'm not sure if the Wire is better than Treme (and i'm a huge fan of the Wire). Treme is even more daring than The Wire...

Great show, not better than Sopranos nor the Shield for that matter with me.

It certainly is a top TV series, but I can think of a few more that I'd rather not have missed than this.

Enjoyed it though, Omar and Stringer were my favs.

FD

Great show, not better than Sopranos nor the Shield for that matter with me.

It certainly is a top TV series, but I can think of a few more that I'd rather not have missed than this.

Enjoyed it though, Omar and Stringer were my favs.

FD

It's better than Soprano's, Tony and another one or two characters are portrayed amazingly well but compare that to The Wire were everyone seems so significant and important.

I have some free time so will see what Breaking Bad ranks for me.

Agreed, The Wire is imho the best thing out there, especially season 2-4. Season 5 was a bit disappointing and season 1 was a nice start.

The wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood. There are my top tv shows ever. Deciding which is the best is as hard as deciding which son you love the most.

Back
Top Bottom