The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

Haven't played Joust in a while, that was a fun one. :)

One of the early NES games I enjoyed was Ikki, this was an interesting one, very Japanese soundtrack and original world. You were pretty much a Samurai having to defend a different from Ninjas, and it had plenty of bizarre things in it, items, etc.. Found it addictive! :)

Last edited:
Here's a game I've been enjoying lately: Maldita Castilla! (Also known as Cursed Castilla). Clearly based on Ghosts N Goblins / Super Ghouls N Ghosts, this fanmade freeware game takes place in Medieval Spain, as I believe the designers are Spanish! Found it to be very fun/challenging so far, perhaps not as hard as GnG but still very rewarding! In fact I am still stuck in one stage haha but I know that with practice I will beat it. Fun environment, a nice variety of monsters and weapons, give it a shot bros!! I've really enjoyed this one!! (download is in the video!)

I have a feeling I'm gonna like this one! Blade and Sword (which I think is at the tail-end of what I consider retro-gaming, 2002!), looks kind of like Diablo but with a Chinese feel to it. I guess this could be considered 32-bit generation! :LOL: I've always loved Ancient Chinese settings, so this looks very much like my type of game! :)

I'm not sure I posted this one here yet, but all in all, this is probably my favorite racing game of all time, along with probably GT5. Can't even count the number of hours I've put into Top Gear 2 over the years! So ground-breaking for its time, I loved how you could upgrade your car, get different engines, parts, nitros, tires, etc.. All depending on your race position, it really was something quite new. And up to this day, I still play it, the fun factor in this game is amazing, not to mention a great soundtrack which always got me pumped up to play!! :TU:

Last edited:
I played Top Gear 3000, and see the first but not that one. In fact, Top Gear is very inspired by Lotus Turbo Challenge on Amiga : but without Lotus licence.

It's probably one of the Racing game that came closer to arcade regarding the sprite when you're get closer : i mean on many other games they got to remove some for the game flowing better and it remove a bit the "depth/3D" effect. For example you play for example Space Harrier II (same system), Outrun, or After Burner II on Megadrive and then on Arcade... It's really 3D lookalike where you miss the depth on console.

But not in Top Gear. Well, it was the start of the Megadrive, they showed us others games with a better scrolling (if i could use that term), and on 1993.

Outrun 2019 (review, but the image is good)

I mean, without using Mode 7 (or perpaps they mixed with mode 7).
The other who made that effect pretty good too was the game exclusively on Amiga and Mega-CD :

Jaguar XJ 220 Amiga / Mega-CD

(i even think the Amiga version did a more "Arcadish" job... But graphically less realistic and less details)

There's also Lotus II turbo Challenge :

Now about your game BLADE AND SWORD, i never heard of it, well there's tons of movies, books using those words... But first time i see it.
And it's Wow. The 3D isometric is something i love, and the fighting phase is super cool and technical. I would like to at least try it. But installing DOS game is kinda complicated lol, even with DOSEMU (Dos emulator).

Another game i played but never got that far, but i still love it and want to retry it (you should like it too @millossobek )

On PS1, Saturn probably (?) but firstly on PC, it's a big classic btw:
Blood Omen : Legacy of Kain

There's a sequel and it's a full saga, but it's the only one on 2D. "Legacy of Kain : "Soul Reaver" is in 3D, the 2nd, and got a good reception too.
Never tried it.

About a Frustrating game : there were 3 real "hidden" games on the first Master System, if i remember (didn't got the cartridge): Penguin Land.
Don't remember the trick, but if you started without cartdrige : Alex Kidd.
Then i don't remember what you got to do to unlock those two, one was with the button "start/pause" on the console

-Penguin Land , who was a real MS game > there's a sequel on Megadrive)
The number of time i rage quited because i broken the egg lol

-Snail Maze... A game from the SG-1000, the console before the Master System. You still could play on those game on MS. There was a small card support on the back of the console. Those "Sega cards" where not bigger than a thin memory card....
Even if every SG-1000 games where reproduced on normal MS cartridge, later.

I'll post it just by curiosity lol but well : it's a labyrinth game very basic, but kinda hard too lol

Now about your game BLADE AND SWORD, i never heard of it, well there's tons of movies, books using those words... But first time i see it.
And it's Wow. The 3D isometric is something i love, and the fighting phase is super cool and technical. I would like to at least try it. But installing DOS game is kinda complicated lol, even with DOSEMU (Dos emulator).
I'm pretty sure there's a Windows version you can play! :) I'm quite liking it ATM, still getting the hang of it but still it's everything I hoped for! Legacy of Kain looks cool too! I'm a big fan of isometric games, which leads me to perhaps my favorite isometric game of all time, Baldur's Gate, released for PC!

What an experience this game is! Released in 1998 (which I think qualifies it for retrogaming for sure), and based on the Forgotten Realms world of Dungeons and Dragons franchise, Baldur's Gate is not only my favorite isometric gam but perhaps in my top 10 games of all time! Besides the fact that it was groundbreaking for its time, it holds up brilliantly today, the fun factor is in fact increased with time, it is a very long RPG that I have replayed multiple times! A large cast of customizable characters, a great story, and exciting gameplay, to me this is the gold standard for Western RPG's. I'd love to see an Ancient East Asian version of Baldur's Gate! :TU:

Last edited:
@vialli82 Wow that Penguin game looks insanely hard. :)

In terms of frustrating games, man this one was really hard, one I've mentioned before: Kid Icarus!

These games first two levels are enough to put most people off! It's fun and a good game but incredibly challenging! And the game doesn't get easier, so many traps and monsters all around! Looks simple enough but oh man, difficult isn't enough. :LOL:

My friend got Kid Icarus... But also Megaman I lol. As i already said i didn't own a NES but knowing few people having one (...2 people lol)
Sega Master System was more sold in Belgium, Megadrive sold a lot too.... Until the Snes.

It remind me one other NES game pretty different but the guy got it too, it was hard too but super fun :

Balloon Fight

... When i see the kind of sequel (more a spin-off) i jumped on it for my GameBoy :

Balloon Kid (I posted it on Super Gameboy)

Pretty identical, a bit revamped as Balloon Fight was kinda old in terms of design. Hours of fun.
EDIT/ it was more like a classic platform game where you got long level. Not a panel for each stage.

Ah yes as we talked about Puzzle Game but kinda "special", one game i've brought without knowing it was a strategy game (my father played more than me that game lol)
"Kwirk" on Gameboy (Puzzle Boy on PC ENGINE, but also... On Gameboy lol, same with another character out later)

I recommand it for guys who like Puzzle but where you control a character
There's another game called "Boxxle" kinda similar, but Kwirk was way better.

Now the PC ENGINE version without the super mascot / I post it as i think there was an exact similar game with another name on NES : If someone found it better to show it in color so take a look at / But i searched i didn't found on Wiki. Sad if NES owner didn't discovered that gem.

PUZZLE BOY (Pc Engine)

I also found 2 sequel under others names, on GB (Puzzle boy 2 and another "spin-off" game), and others consoles.
If i was aware of it at the time... We loved this game (me and my father) but we finished it both.

Just right now, i'm searching on youtube and the game got a remake and a lot of indie "Kwirk-like" as the system was super well found, on PC, perhaps on console too. Didn't know it was that much popular

Balloon Fight is a classic!! You know there was this restaurant I used to go to that had an arcade of Balloon Fight so while I was waiting for my order, would definitely go and play all the time haha.. Such a simple and fun game, sometimes less is more!

Thinking of another difficult early NES game.. Legend of Kage!! Man it was a feat just to beat the first stage! :LOL: Love this game though.. That mystical Japanese feeling..

Never tried the arcade version, but I will soon enough as well!

Never tried, but it was totally my type of game when i was on my 8-16 bits era.
The game got a great variety of stage design (even if the basis level is the one on the forest) and big freedom, it's like you could do anything.
It's astonishing for a 8 bits game.

High jump controlled, shurikens in every angle, could climb/cling on trees and probably others stuffs, going on undwater on the next level.

Remind me Ninja Gaiden Master System. I loved the Trilogy on NES and finished it, but that one...
Different, with a long story, great soundtrack, cutscenes like a comic, and more freedom in movement. Graphisms were pretty great.
Probably one of my top 5 MS (Wonder boy III will still number one forever)

@millossobek i suppose it's your type of game... Just a quick look you'll and you'll understand.

Wow, I didn't even know Ninja Gaiden for the Master System existed!! This is totally new to me!! I loved the NES trilogy, actually especially 1 and 2, the dark sword of chaos.. The third one seemed a little strange for me for some reason. But the story of 1 and 2, I still remember as a kid following Ryu Hyabusa to the Amazon to fight the Jacquio, and then in #2 with the new cutscene characters and Ashtar, that was totally amazing. I never quite understood why SNES/Mega Drive never picked it up, it would've been more than a worthy addition to the retrogaming franchise!! But yes, I had no idea about Ninja Gaiden for MS.. Another one to add to the list to check out and 100% my type of game my friend!!!!!! :BSCARF: :TU:

Last edited:
This thread is a black hole were you fall into hidden memories I hadn't seen or heard in years. Those beautiful synthesizers sounds from who knows when, back when there were no long updates, but the eventual blowing the NES cartridges to get them to work

@vialli82 balloon fight... man, that game is the tits, its incredibly fun. Its like the great great grandfather of super smash bros...

I've never seen that penguin game, but I did play Antarctic Adventure. Just putting the game on Youtube and hearing that synthesizer took me back to kneeling on a carpet 30 years ago with that square controller just trying to get that penguin to its house...

Penguin Adventure sure brings back a lot of memories, using those helicopter hats to move faster, haha that was a fun game!

Here's another one that came in those 100-in-1 famicom cartridges that I remember very fondly: M.U.S.C.L.E.! This one is one of my favorites from those all in one, basically you have a cast of 8 different wrestlers with same basic moves, but then you got a pill, the special moves were activated which were different for each character, like Kung Fu style, various different types of suplexes and wrestling moves, etc.. I could never figure out if this game had an ending, it seemed to go on forever. :LOL: Great game!

This thread is a black hole were you fall into hidden memories I hadn't seen or heard in years. Those beautiful synthesizers sounds from who knows when, back when there were no long updates, but the eventual blowing the NES cartridges to get them to work

@vialli82 balloon fight... man, that game is the tits, its incredibly fun. Its like the great great grandfather of super smash bros...

I've never seen that penguin game, but I did play Antarctic Adventure. Just putting the game on Youtube and hearing that synthesizer took me back to kneeling on a carpet 30 years ago with that square controller just trying to get that penguin to its house...

Remember very well Antartic Adventure, but i played it on Arcade. There's also a DOS version from what i saw on youtube.

Really like those type of games with the main character doing a run from behind, a bit like a car but it gives us other vibes of course.

Just a vid to show how similar that game was on NES. Pretty impressive.
A bit like Track and Field : on a old TV to me it was "arcade perfect" on NES. Like Bubble Booble on Master System : identical too.

Now a game a bit more recent but i loved it, especially on arcade with the (don't know in english how you call it) the kind of stick which was on Plane and Helicopter. Also Thunder Blade got it.
Many Sega games where built for arcade, not only the pad but for example Super Hang-On, the moto game that you should turn ourself like a real biker.
Or all racings games (with Wheel / Pedals)

1651039198026.png

Thunder blade machine (where you play with and helicopter) Note: there's a version with only the stick, but i never see it.

1651039377629.png

Galaxy force cabinet / the game is like a shooter in supposed "3D" but with sprite like they did at the time for Racing game. Probably the most special from all of their Arcade Cabinet. It deserves a vid as control where pretty special and it moved (1988 ! FFS)

I could add Space Harrier, After Burner etc. but i think it's good enough.

... I still play and love Tecmo World Cup 98, it's so wild with super powers. ...
Released a Tecmo World Cup 98 video 1 week ago. It's just a showcase for the superpowers. I played it on MAME 0.164, no frameskip and it works with %100 speed.

Tecmo World Cup '98 made by Tecmo for the ST-V (Sega Titan Video) arcade machines. It's World Cup football game which every nation has authentic superpowers. It looks impressive for it's time because of 3D models like Virtua Soccer and it's so much fun thanks to it's fluidity and Seibu Cup Soccer like superpowers. It borrows many assets from Tecmo's J.League Go Go Goal! game released for Sega Saturn.

Arcade machine ST-V is based on Sega Saturn hardware, there are Saturn emulators also emulating ST-V but none of them emulates Tecmo World Cup '98. MAME emulates Tecmo World Cup '98 but some of the old versions emulates better than the new versions. I played it on MAME 0.164, no frameskip and it works with %100 speed.

The game is not known by many but it's not obscure either. It's extremely popular in Latin countries, Korea and Turkey.

and just uploaded a very short highlights video here

@vialli82 Never played Galaxy Force, looks pretty cool, but man you took me back I remember playing Super Hang-On when I was younger!!
That was a fun one. :)
@Theshy7 Those superpowers are crazy! Really gives a new dimension to the games, nice touch! :TU:

On the topic of point n click, recently I've been playing this one, not Sierra but early Electronic Arts game (I had no idea that EA did point n click!) The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes for PC! This game is really heavy on atmosphere it really sinks in. I remember playing this so much when I was a kid, but was never able to beat it, and now that I've picked it up again, I'm really enjoying it. The pace might be a bit slower than what some people may enjoy but if you have the patience, this game can really be rewarding with a very nice story, searching for clues, etc. :)

Last edited:
Never been a fan of Sherlock stuffs for no reason, but since i watched the anime "Moriarty the Patriot" i'm kinda more interested about.

I was aware that Moriarty was his worst nemesis... Even if he appears only on a book. It's supposed that he's in fact the master behind plenty of Holmes investigation. But too hard too guess, he's too smart.
The season as remade Moriarty as a different interpretation. Physically younger, a great playboy, and almost the same age as Sherlock. Both are interesting and it's very close to the books at least from someone who knows them well.

And it's confirmed than Moriarty is a genius, in fact even more intelligent than Sherlock (i think the author said it). He's very interesting and his project got no pity, but what he want to do is "noble"... I choose a word is very important in the anime/manga, as it turns around noblesse vs poverty.

Also Sherlock is funny like kinda Ryo Shaeba from City Hunter. He's kinda crazy too, and i didn't know that Watson was that important and not like a "Robin" for Sherlock. As a doctor, he can detect many things that Sherlock can't.

Last edited:
Now that, thanks to this thread, I am finally starting to explore more Master System / Mega Drive games, I stumbled upon this very interesting title.. From the Universe of Golden Axe, comes Golden Axe Warrior! I can't believe I'd never heard of this game. I am a big fan of the original Golden Axes, they are the type of games that ported really well from the arcade to the consoles, but now this one seems more like an adventure type, similar to Zelda in the sense that it's a top-view adventure game, with dungeons and towns, but in the Golden Axe Universe!! This looks really interesting!! :TU:

Big fan of that game, didn't got too much time to play when i was young, but i replayed it on Emulator.
It's kinda long like all RPG and difficult like games from that time : that's why i didn't finished it on my latest session (i've just made a save) but for Action RPG fans it's a must.

It's like the Zelda from Master System, but with more variety... But don't think it's a copy paste from Zelda, tons of games out before Zelda used the same method panel by panel, same type of fight etc.
But it's kinda obvious that Golden Axe Warrior was inspired by Zelda mechanics, improving a bit the controllability (the player move faster and quicker), number of weapons, possibility to improve your characters etc.

I would say that except that the game was out later, and on a console with less success : it's better than Zelda 1, graphism, fights, ambiance darker...

I talked about "Top 5 MS", but i forgot that one... Not because it's forgettable, just because i didn't ended it lol so it's hard to put it on a top.
But i remember that i was about to post it but then i forgot.
Have readed that some time ago, it was considered on one of the best MS game, always on a top 5 so

When i rewatch it, it looks a lot more to Zelda GB version (Link's Awekening) or a bit Snes version... But more GB version, a bit faster.
The Axe gives circular strike like those one.

And it's changing a lot the gameplay for ennemies who where around, adding perhaps 15 degree on each side for touching some coming from diagonals.
Like in those Zelda. Even if the scale seems larger with the Axe, it's just because a axe is bigger than a sword so... Its visual only, but same effect.

Edit: talking about Zelda, there were on Japan something called "Sattelaview". It's the ancestral method of internet. Like the Antenna we got on our old TV.
The games got a counter for i don't know, you should pay don't ask me how to get more time to play. But i got hack version so no problem.
You could play tons of games... And there's some very great ones. Some where exctactly the same as Snes game. The one i will post aren't.

Now, about Zelda 1 : they did a version called Zelda BS on Snes. With Snes graphisms like they did with Super Mario All stars.
I noticed just after searching the whole list that there's 1 other exclusive Zelda version! "Zelda : the Ancient Stones tablets".

And the second interesting is F-Zero 2. There's also tons of games called "Excite bike" looking a bit like Enduro, but not in Isometric (7 versions!)
I got those two above translated, but i think F-Zero was already all in English and they didn't changed...

ZELDA BS (Zelda 1 NES graphism revamped)

F-Zero Grand Prix 2 (different circuits, i think also some new vehicles you can see on the vid)

Now, the list of "BS/Satellaview games" on Spoiler

• BS 3ji no Wide Syou
    [*]BS Albert Odyssey
    [*]BS Arkanoid: Doh It Again
    [*]BS Bdash Gatsu Gou (2 parties)
    [*]BS Busters: Digital Magazine (4 parties)
    [*]BS Cheap de Gorgeous
    [*]BS Chrono Trigger Jet Bike Special
    [*]BS Chrono Trigger: Character Library
    [*]BS Chrono Trigger: Music Library
    [*]BS Columbus no Tamagoyaki (3 parties)
    [*]BS Cu on Pa
    [*]BS Daibakusyou Jinseigekijyou
    [*]BS Dan Dan Belt Conveyor Milk no Maki
    [*]BS Dan Dan Belt Conveyor Ukulele no Maki
    [*]BS Do-Re-Mi No.2 (2 parties)
    [*]BS Dokapon Gaiden: Hono no Audition
    [*]BS Dr. Mario
    [*]BS Dragon Quest 1
    [*]BS Dragon Slayer Eiyuu Densetsu
    [*]BS Dynami Tracer!
    [*]BS F-Zero 2: Grand Prix (ainsi que 5 parties supplémentaires: Ace, Castle, King, Knight, Queen)
    [*]BS Fenek: June Edition
    [*]BS Fire Emblem Akaneia Senki (4 parties: Palace Kanraku, Akai Ryu Kishi, Seigi no Tozokudan, Hajimari no Toki)
    [*]BS Furoito No Chousenjou (6 parties)
    [*]BS Gekkan Coin Toss Deck 1
    [*]BS Goods Press (3 parties: épisodes 3, 6 et 7)
    [*]BS Guruguru Ball
    [*]BS Heisei Gunjin Shogi
    [*]BS Hosi Kuzusi
    [*]BS IkarinoYousai
    [*]BS Kaizou Tyoujin Shubibinman Zero
    [*]BS Kirby no Omotya Bako Baseball
    [*]BS Kobo Kensyo Magazine
    [*]BS Kodomo Tyosadan Mighty Pockets (3 parties)
    [*]BS Koi ha Balance: Battle of Lovers
    [*]BS Lets Pachinko Nante Gindama (4 parties)
    [*]BS Lord Monarch
    [*]BS Mario Collection 3
    [*]BS Excitebike Bunbun Mario Stadium (4 parties)
    [*]BS Mario Paint (2 parties)
    [*]BS Mario USA (4 parties)
    [*]BS Marvelous Camp Arnold Course (4 parties)
    [*]BS Marvelous Time Athletic Course (4 parties)
    [*]BS Nichibutsu 4 Player Mahjan (2 parties)
    [*]BS Nichibutsu Mahjong
    [*]BS Nintama Rantarou 2
    [*]BS Nintendo HP (2 parties)
    [*]BS NP Magazine 107
    [*]BS Out of Bounds Golf
    [*]BS Paneru De Pon 98
    [*]BS Parlor Parlor 2
    [*]BS Pokekame Magajin
    [*]BS Radical Dreamers
    [*]BS Same Game Koma Data
    [*]BS Satella2 1
    [*]BS Saterawalker 2: Sate Bou wo Sukuidase
    [*]BS Shanghai Bannri no Tyojyo
    [*]BS Shin Oni Gashima: Kataribe no Koya (4 parties)
    [*]BS Sousa Sentai Wappers (2 parties)
    [*]BS Special Tee Shot
    [*]BS Spriggan Powered
    [*]BS St.Giga 10 Gatsu Gou
    [*]BS Super E.D.F.
    [*]BS Super Famicom Wars
    [*]BS Super Mahjong Taikai
    [*]BS Super Ninja Kun
    [*]BS Super Shogi Problem 1000
    [*]BS Sutte Hakkun (3 parties)
    [*]BS Sutte Hakkun 98
    [*]BS Tantei Club Saihousou (3 parties)
    [*]BS Tora no Maki (2 parties)
    [*]BS Treasure Conflix
    [*]BS Wai Wai Check
    [*]BS Wapaaz Souryu Hen
    [*]BS Wario
    [*]BS Wild Guns
    [*]BS Wizardry 5
    [*]BS Yoshi No Panepon
    [*]BS Yung Hakase no Shinsatsu Shitsu (2 parties)
    [*]BS Zelda no Densetsu
    [*]BS Zelda no Densetsu Kodai no Sekiban (4 parties)
    [*]BS Zelda no Densetsu Kamigami no Triforce
    [*]BS Zoot Mahjong
    [*]BS Zootte Mahjong! IVT
Another link where you can check some games that you never heard about it, don't know if it's complete but it seems they took the website shows the most interesting ones.

https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Satellaview_games

Last edited:
Note for Zelda, the game got different locations, map etc. / I can't share my version as it's a french translation lol
There's two hack translated in english, one restore the old map "Restoration" and the other, and the second i mentionned from sattellaview is called "Third Quest", but i don't know how different it it.

Links for the Hacks Restoration and Third Quest (It's a different game, so the rom isn't "BS Zelda!")
If you know how apply, it's simple : ddl PPF-O Matic, double click on the hack, select the rom and apply

https://www.romhacking.net/games/262/

Now a full website with ALL BS Zelda hack/translation explained. There 4 version from Sattellaview in total 😅 i'm just aware of it.
I ever think there's a "Zelda Link to the Past" same gameplay, other story and map etc.
Didn't know there was so much version of Zelda! Just discover right now.

There's even a full website with all version and tons of hack, for Zelda fans.
I ain't that much fan to be honest. Let's say i really loved it until Snes, and stopped after Link to Past (tried N64 version, Wii/GC : not my thing) I think there's better Action RPG than Zelda... To be honest.

As much as i hate the Hack which change the level or enemies or moves etc, and i love the one who correct bugs, restore some stuffs...
I totally validate hack type "restoration" like for example of Final Fight on Snes, the first one with Cody which missed a level (who was in Final Fight Guy) adding also the real Arcade names who where censored (like the Samurai Wrestler real name is Sodom lol) or the one removing slowdown on Super GNG.

Amiga 500 Emulation runs very well, with filters etc.
But kinda complicated to launch a game. Got a port man-made from one game that i remember i liked a lot, no idea if you got it on the game package:

Rick Dangerous, to me it was like the mascot name for the Amiga. Super fun plateform/strategy game (as you attack less and try to avoid stuffs with tricks)

On the Amiga 500 Mini with WHLoad a lot so far works. Got 4000 Games for it. Haven't played Rick Dangerous yet but will try it out. So far Theme Park, Sensi, Cannon Fodder and Lemmings have kept me playing.

Yeah Amiga Classics then. Even if they're been out on another console, it's always better to replay it on the platform you discovered it.
Example, i finished Ghouls'n'Ghost both on Master System and Megadrive.

But i discovered and played a lot more on the Master System version, so when i retried it, and wanted to finish it : i've made the Master System version.
Then i've made the Arcade version, i wanted the best of all just for having the sensation of a new polished Megadrive version.

Back
Top Bottom