The Retro-Football Corner

I can't believe it !

I'll be able to see the pair Baggio - Hubner in action !

Baggio announced himself a few hours ago.

See here !

So glad I bought my tickets few months ago !

Time to re-watch the documentary again !

Messenger_creation_1622907865218530.jpeg

And to contribute to the topic, I want to share one of the best screamer when you know the context :

Due to an injury, he was left off the pitch for 18 months (even missing the 2006 WC) and for his first game after is 18 months injury, he scored that goal.

NB : this injury is why Vieri is a reserve, not even a sub, in Atalanta in PES 6. Atalanta was paying him like 1500€ / month + bonus based on his performances if I'm not wrong.

Last edited:
On the theme of Italian players….
Disregarding his youth career here is a great video of the one club legend Francesco Totti. Any player that remains with one club his entire professional career gains immediate respect and is also my favourite Italian player of all time.

You sure? :COOL:
Yeah totally 🏂 I am not the type of Panathinaikos fan that will compare if the conference league cup is in the same level with final of Wembley of 1971. It's apples and oranges in my honest opinion.

But something inside me finds that it's "different" to play against Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madrid at full powerhouse mode in CL or in knockouts, and i include both teams, PAO and OSFP, and treat them as equals, and different to play against Aston Villa, Fiorentina, Club Brugge, etc.

Don't get me wrong, i do not want to underestimate Conference Leauge, i do not even blame the clubs or the fans. It's UEFA that i blame. I believe that when making so many separate Cups just for the broadcasting money, they create inflation to the glory of the Cup.

Also i believe UEFA uses mostly Conference and to a lesser degree Europa as little steps for the CL which is the chicken with the golden eggs. Atalanta and Bayer may can build on this, but the Conference League clubs, i feel they have huge gap with the big clubs of CL.

Finally with the new CL formant, it's like we don't want Euro Super League, cause we have UEFA Super League at home.

To conclude my thoughts. Olympiakos Cup win, was a very huge and important win, given the size of our country and our domestic league ranking, and as i've read somewhere, it's the first team in the last 10something years, that comes outside of the big 4 leagues (Spain, England, Italy, Germany) and wins a European trophy. But UEFA does not care about this, they see it as fodder for the CL.

Last edited:
Baresi and Maldini have to be the best defensive partnership of all time. They went an entire season with only conceding 15 goals. That’s f*****g unbelievable.

True but we know who the best were… Baresi and Maldini by a country mile.
Tassotti and Costacurta played alongside them both for years and Costacurta pairing up with Baresi in central defence was the best combo of all times, people tend to forget the other two, extremely important and skilfull

Maldini Ac Milan 1984-2009
Baresi Ac Milan 1977-97
Costacurta Ac Milan 1986-2007
Tassotti Ac Milan 1980-1997
Talk about a well drilled back four

Tassotti and Costacurta played alongside them both for years and Costacurta pairing up with Baresi in central defence was the best combo of all times, people tend to forget the other two, extremely important and skilfull

Maldini Ac Milan 1984-2009
Baresi Ac Milan 1977-97
Costacurta Ac Milan 1986-2007
Tassotti Ac Milan 1980-1997
Talk about a well drilled back four
I’m not disputing, Tasotti and Cotacurta were great players, all I’m saying is that Baresi and Maldini were the best and arguably the greatest defenders in the history of the game.

I miss those slower, higher technical players who didn't seem to have much pace but used their intelligence and skills to make it happen. Something very special about using your brain instead of physicality to set up plays.

I find these type of players so enjoyable to watch. They really took football to artistic levels.
I agree with every word, i contribute to this nostalgia ride with some of my favorite players that absolutely fall in this category, they are not the most successfull or consistent, but all with insane technical skill that deserves to be remembered (I am also inadvertently answering your three South Americans with three Europeans :LOL:).

Dimitar Berbatov

Mattew Le Tissier

José Gutierrez "Guti"

I agree with every word, i contribute to this nostalgia ride with some of my favorite players that absolutely fall in this category, they are not the most successfull or consistent, but all with insane technical skill that deserves to be remembered (I am also inadvertently answering your three South Americans with three Europeans :LOL:).

Dimitar Berbatov

Mattew Le Tissier

José Gutierrez "Guti"
This is a real pleasure! There is just something really magical about these mercurial players, these players just really ignite the imagination! :TU:

From Berbatov's skill in the box to Le Tissier's control and technique, I truly miss football back in these eras, players really seemed to have much more personality!

Awesome clips!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

Speaking of personalities.... My favorite Brazilian team ever (I wish I could've seen them play live, but sadly before my time).
I've only been able to watch replays, highlights and documentaries, but that's been enough to cement their status in my heart.

I mean look at that..... Incredible, legendary skills and most importantly, magical, almost otherworldly charisma.
For me, Brazil 1982 is the most likeable National Team of all time. :TU:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom